Your most unpopular opinion about league

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
happy tiger

Re: Your most unpopular opinion about league

Post by happy tiger » Thu 18 Apr, 2013 7:26 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Sataris wrote:I'll add a few more

The draw, and not playing each team twice is a massive joke. and following from that

any playoff/semi-final system rewards mediocrity and it should be first past the post.

Minor premiers should be the premiers, after 26+ rounds it's pretty clear who the best team in the league is.
I'd consider sacrificing the finals system for a "first past the post" system if every team played each other twice, once at home, once away. SOO and rep honours should be moved to post season in that event too, you'd then have a whole season to assess players instead of flashes of brilliance over the first ten rounds.

The benefit of the FPP system is that EVERY game is important, even for the top tabled sides.
If we are going to have FPP we need to have relegation as well A lot of games would be worthless after about Round 15 under the current set up

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 18 Apr, 2013 8:06 pm

LaT wrote:Wally Lewis was overrated. Greatest 5-8th? Because he chimed in and won some games towards the back of some Origin matches?

Highlights packages has swayed too many people.
Yeah he was pathetic

Immortal
8 MOTM in SOO (record)
Vice Captain of the 1982 invincibles Captain of 1986 side (both unbeaten)
31 SOO (30 as captain)
Voted 5/8 in the team of the century

Wish he was born a NSW player so you would have had to put up with him :roll:

Some have absolutely NFI to be honest

LaT

Post by LaT » Thu 18 Apr, 2013 8:18 pm

Well I didn't post in the "popular opinion on league" thread did I?

And I didn't say pathetic, I said overrated. But as always with QLD, don't let facts hold you back.

Also its a comment on his career, not just those 3 origin games he turned up for each year.
TigPies till I die!

I say, I say I resemble that remark!

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 18 Apr, 2013 8:28 pm

Wynnum Manly would of made the Top 5 from 84-86

Players off the ilk of
Colin Scott
Terry Butler
Brett French
Gene Miles
Wally Lewis
Peter Dawes
Greg Dowling
David Green
Bob Lindner
Ian French
Andrew Tessmann

Thats 7 Qld SOO players and Andrew Tessmann would of been anything if he hadn't been hit by a car at the 88 Expo

LaT

Post by LaT » Thu 18 Apr, 2013 8:30 pm

I think the point of this thread is being misunderstood right now Happy....
TigPies till I die!

I say, I say I resemble that remark!

Paris Cobbs

Post by Paris Cobbs » Thu 18 Apr, 2013 8:47 pm

For the record, I think Cooper Cronk is currently the most valuable player in the NRL. But I still don't get what's so good about Cameron Smith. Robbie Farah is a much better player.
Cheering for the mighty Wests Tigers, all the way from France.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 18 Apr, 2013 8:48 pm

LaT wrote:I think the point of this thread is being misunderstood right now Happy....
Yeah good point LaT leave it at that

kh_canada

Post by kh_canada » Fri 19 Apr, 2013 1:57 am

Paris Cobbs wrote:For the record, I think Cooper Cronk is currently the most valuable player in the NRL. But I still don't get what's so good about Cameron Smith. Robbie Farah is a much better player.
I understand what you're trying to get at, I might be one-eyed (cause I cannot stand Melbourne) but I don't see all the hype around Smith. Don't get me wrong, he is an extremely consistent player who always delivers game in and game out.
But come to think of it, there is quite a few players who are just as consistent but don't hold this 'x factor' that Smith does.

And I agree with Paris, Robbie is certainly shaking Cameron's pedestal, he just doesn't hold this "golden boy" tag that Cameron is given. He is the poster boy of league along with Slater. Take Cameron, Slater and Cronk out of the Melbourne environment and I can guarantee they won't be the same players.
The Huth... the Huth... the Huth is on fire

Sataris

Post by Sataris » Fri 19 Apr, 2013 3:39 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Sataris wrote:I'll add a few more

The draw, and not playing each team twice is a massive joke. and following from that

any playoff/semi-final system rewards mediocrity and it should be first past the post.

Minor premiers should be the premiers, after 26+ rounds it's pretty clear who the best team in the league is.
I'd consider sacrificing the finals system for a "first past the post" system if every team played each other twice, once at home, once away. SOO and rep honours should be moved to post season in that event too, you'd then have a whole season to assess players instead of flashes of brilliance over the first ten rounds.

The benefit of the FPP system is that EVERY game is important, even for the top tabled sides.
If we are going to have FPP we need to have relegation as well A lot of games would be worthless after about Round 15 under the current set up
NSW Cup could become a legitimate 2nd grade, or let the reserve teams play in 3rd grade!
cunno wrote:Ennis is the koala of the NRL.
Home of the Sataris

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 19 Apr, 2013 4:04 pm

People's opinions are based on bias

WestsSupporter

Post by WestsSupporter » Fri 19 Apr, 2013 7:18 pm

State of Origin is ruining Rugby League. While three out of four of the best matches the year showcases to us take place during this series, the manner in which it damages international footy is taking its toll. The game is a joke at international level.

While the game has never been big internationally, you have to agree there was so much more passion playing for your country in the 90s and earlier. It may just be the media not showing us everything, but it would seem like the players don't give two toots about their Australian jumper. The same thing can be applied for the New Zealand top. We (I am Kiwi) poach Islanders left, right and centre. While the "true" Kiwis still have a tonne of pride in representing their country, you'd have to think one or two guys are there because it is rep-footy, nothing else.

Everything stems back to Origin. Everybody wants to play it. Its the clear pinnacle league, a place which should be reserved for test rugby league.
Extremely frustrated fan. Try not to let my negativity get to you.

WestsSupporter

Post by WestsSupporter » Fri 19 Apr, 2013 7:19 pm

great thread btw. gives a good forum to voice our terrible opinions
Extremely frustrated fan. Try not to let my negativity get to you.

coffstiger

Post by coffstiger » Thu 02 May, 2013 9:51 am

The NRL/CRL ineptitude in progressing the cause of rugby league in the bush and regional areas. Here in Coffs Harbour we have more AFL grounds than NRL, and on top of that the AFL on the mid north coast has a greater budget than the CRL!
Mark my words Rugby League is a dying sport in the bush and AFL is taking over. Both our newspapers head sports journalists are from Vic, and the AFL gives money hand over fist to Public Schools for them to introduce AFL into their sporting program.

westTAHger

Post by westTAHger » Thu 02 May, 2013 11:17 am

the 7 tackle try fiasco's when Hartley was the man with the whistle.
his other " dodgy calls" which affected wests magpies, and parra eels.
the un swayable favouritism shown towards manly by the " judiciary panel" from that era.
why the ARL/NRL did not strip Andrew Johns of his Dally M medals, after revelations in his interview with Phil Gould, and then the rugby league fraternity go on and immortalise him. what message does that send to kids?

some radio/t.v commentators are not happy with the way the NRL is run, :?: become an administrator and make positive changes.
not happy with a certain coach's performances., simple become a coach, see how they go. :roll:
Basil, our rescue dog, is wondering when wests tigers will win 25 - 18 :D

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Sat 04 May, 2013 10:10 pm

westTAHger wrote:the 7 tackle try fiasco's when Hartley was the man with the whistle.
his other " dodgy calls" which affected wests magpies, and parra eels.
the un swayable favouritism shown towards manly by the " judiciary panel" from that era.
why the ARL/NRL did not strip Andrew Johns of his Dally M medals, after revelations in his interview with Phil Gould, and then the rugby league fraternity go on and immortalise him. what message does that send to kids?

some radio/t.v commentators are not happy with the way the NRL is run, :?: become an administrator and make positive changes.
not happy with a certain coach's performances., simple become a coach, see how they go. :roll:
they were not performance enhancing drugs
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Sat 04 May, 2013 10:48 pm

coffstiger wrote:The NRL/CRL ineptitude in progressing the cause of rugby league in the bush and regional areas. Here in Coffs Harbour we have more AFL grounds than NRL, and on top of that the AFL on the mid north coast has a greater budget than the CRL!
Mark my words Rugby League is a dying sport in the bush and AFL is taking over. Both our newspapers head sports journalists are from Vic, and the AFL gives money hand over fist to Public Schools for them to introduce AFL into their sporting program.
reckon the new administration/layout in the NRL will help? Once this ASADA thing gets cleared up smith will hopefully fill those positions and start tackling country rugby league?
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

LCA

Post by LCA » Sun 05 May, 2013 8:13 am

1..That Ricky Stuart is somehow a great NRL coach. The guy is a complete joke. A sook who can't inspire his players because it's all about Ricky. How he has the prominence and profile he has is completely beyond me!!

2. That Jarryd Hayne is captain material. I find him selfish, demeaning of his team mates, accident prone, a whinger and a show pony. No substance to him at all.Well done Parra!

3. That Ray Warren is anywhere near a microphone these days. Retire now! And, take your ridiculous ground announcer son at Parra with you.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 05 May, 2013 9:41 am

WestsSupporter wrote:State of Origin is ruining Rugby League. While three out of four of the best matches the year showcases to us take place during this series, the manner in which it damages international footy is taking its toll. The game is a joke at international level.

While the game has never been big internationally, you have to agree there was so much more passion playing for your country in the 90s and earlier. It may just be the media not showing us everything, but it would seem like the players don't give two toots about their Australian jumper. The same thing can be applied for the New Zealand top. We (I am Kiwi) poach Islanders left, right and centre. While the "true" Kiwis still have a tonne of pride in representing their country, you'd have to think one or two guys are there because it is rep-footy, nothing else.

Everything stems back to Origin. Everybody wants to play it. Its the clear pinnacle league, a place which should be reserved for test rugby league.
But what is stopping NZ having its own SOO series in combination with our NRL SOO series ,it would actually help the Kiwis with big match experience ,which would help them at an international level ,create another money source for the NRL with TV rights and big crowds

Win Win in my opinion