Disgraceful Refereeing the NRL need to do something about it

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
Tigersman

Disgraceful Refereeing the NRL need to do something about it

Post by Tigersman » Sat 19 Apr, 2014 11:30 am

Seriously the NRL has to come out and speak about this not just come out and say the Refs made the wrong call let's all forget about it until it happens again,It used to be maybe one or two game a week max that the Refs made a blatantly obvious error but now it's 1-2 times every game that the Refs make one. They can't just push it to the side.
Attachments
1505508_648959645177702_536123126413157817_n.jpg
1505508_648959645177702_536123126413157817_n.jpg (41.74 KiB) Viewed 914 times
Tigersman since 2013!

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Sat 19 Apr, 2014 11:40 am

It doesn't matter if they have six referees and six different cameras per match. There will always be misinterpretations between referees and mistakes made. It's the nature of rugby league.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 19 Apr, 2014 11:43 am

The Cowboys must be absolutely sick of NRL referees

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Sat 19 Apr, 2014 11:44 am

Most of the problem lies at the feet of Harrigan and his BS interpetration edict several years back. KISS, the shepherd rule worked okay for a century or so, run behind your own player and you are penalised.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 19 Apr, 2014 12:49 pm

formerguest wrote:Most of the problem lies at the feet of Harrigan and his BS interpetration edict several years back. KISS, the shepherd rule worked okay for a century or so, run behind your own player and you are penalised.
Unfortunately teams and coaches have messed with it so much that the simple shepherd /obstruction plays are gone

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 19 Apr, 2014 1:56 pm

formerguest wrote:Most of the problem lies at the feet of Harrigan and his BS interpetration edict several years back. KISS, the shepherd rule worked okay for a century or so, run behind your own player and you are penalised.
A line needs to be drawn somewhere though.

Its easy to say ''black and white, run behind your own player = penalty"

Its not that simple

Team A gather in a kick by team B....team As fullback runs behind 5 players but he is a good 30 meteres away from them

Penalty??

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Sat 19 Apr, 2014 2:06 pm

If you have a look at the last seconds of last night's Bulldogs v Souths match, Morris, in his effort to run the ball dead and therefore finish the match, ran sideways behind a number of his own player before running over the sideline..Souths may have had a case re obstruction. What an uproar a penalty would have caused.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sat 19 Apr, 2014 2:08 pm

Newtown wrote:If you have a look at the last seconds of last night's Bulldogs v Souths match, Morris, in his effort to run the ball dead and therefore finish the match, ran sideways behind a number of his own player before running over the sideline..Souths may have had a case re obstruction. What an uproar a penalty would have caused.
Yeh I saw that too. Should have been a penalty. Souths were robbed.

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

Eye Of Da Tiger

Post by Eye Of Da Tiger » Sat 19 Apr, 2014 2:09 pm

It's beyond a joke. These guys have to get it right. To much rides on it.They are only consistent in being inconsistent!

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Sat 19 Apr, 2014 3:11 pm

Mate I'd be livid if I supported North Qld - they have been robbed by the refs far more often than just being on the end of a bad decision, once in a while.

All I really want to see is consistency - it's really not that difficult to see if a defender is impeded on the way to the try line, especially with the benefit of replays from every angle. Similar scenarios in matches last week were ruled as No Try, yet last night Manly's obvious obstruction was deemed a TRY! I just don't get why they can't make consistent decisions at all :brick:
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

krayola

Post by krayola » Sat 19 Apr, 2014 3:17 pm

I still don't understand how an official can say 'yes, Melbourne played the ball after the siren and, yes, therefore the try was illegal by our rules' yet then uphold the result. Very poor, unclear leadership if you ask me and the reason why so much focus is on referees.
One of my sources is Pascoe

derailed

Post by derailed » Sat 19 Apr, 2014 5:19 pm

As a referee myself I will defend them a little and say that mistakes will happen. Sometimes you make a call and almost immediately realise that it was the wrong call. Mistakes happen and will continue to happen, it's just part of the game.

The one thing I find hard to deal with however is errors in the video box. Watching the manly try it took one look to see it was an obstruction and should be no try however they somehow saw it as a try. As others have said these have been called no try all season. Fans just want consistency from week to week. Especially when they can look multiple times and slow the play down. These are not in the moment decisions where you can justify an error a little but throught out decisions where there should be little room for error let alone howlers like we have seen.

cqtiger

Post by cqtiger » Sat 19 Apr, 2014 7:08 pm

Half the time the commentators disagree on a ruling. Gee, on here we disagree on just about everything.

Unless the one referee controls every game, then we are going to get inconsistent rulings

If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Sat 19 Apr, 2014 8:16 pm

cqtiger wrote:Half the time the commentators disagree on a ruling. Gee, on here we disagree on just about everything.

Unless the one referee controls every game, then we are going to get inconsistent rulings

Back in the "old days" fans were much happier with refereeing decisions when there was only one referee and no camera referrals. Camera referrals are becoming in a lot of cases just like a box of chocolates, "you never know what you are going to get".

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Sat 19 Apr, 2014 8:23 pm

cqtiger wrote:Half the time the commentators disagree on a ruling. Gee, on here we disagree on just about everything.

really? Ive found the commentators agreeing with each other quite often, just not with the refs.

why would one ref in a game mean more consistency week to week or game to game, which is the issue? not that im saying two refs is necessarily superior, but i dont think this is an issue it solves much.
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

alexaki

Post by alexaki » Sat 19 Apr, 2014 8:28 pm

Newtown wrote:

Back in the "old days" fans were much happier with refereeing decisions when there was only one referee and no camera referrals. Camera referrals are becoming in a lot of cases just like a box of chocolates, "you never know what you are going to get".
I agree time to scrap the 2nd ref and minimise the video referees involvement.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Sat 19 Apr, 2014 8:35 pm

innsaneink wrote:
A line needs to be drawn somewhere though.

Its easy to say ''black and white, run behind your own player = penalty"

Its not that simple

Team A gather in a kick by team B....team As fullback runs behind 5 players but he is a good 30 meteres away from them

Penalty??
Maybe I should have specified a distance (being an unwritten rule of a defender within five odd metres of the ball if not taken out by a runner until the recent change), but I did not feel the need having stated the longevity of the well known rule.

No doubt anyone other than the youngsters will remember just how simple it was, the crowd would yell shepherd as one and a penalty would be given. It was very rare for it to be anything else as it was easy to police, regardless of the use of multiple decoys or the delayed pass, that I assume Happy alluded to and is more prevalent nowadays.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 19 Apr, 2014 9:34 pm

Yeas, it WAS easy to police THEN....not so now