Farah Axed

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
happy tiger

Re: Farah Axed

Post by happy tiger » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 12:38 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Thu 19 Apr, 2018 12:31 pm
I get some people didn't like the guy but some of the stuff being written about Farah is just hysterical. His biggest "fault" seems to be he gave a crap and had to be dynamited out of a club that others were only too happy to leave. It's a bit much blaming him for the post-2011 malaise and ignoring the role he played in 2005 & 2010. Maybe he was representative of player power gone wrong but to me that was more to do with weak, unfocused and divided boards. Others who were just as if not more responsible for such things seem to get less criticism.

Local junior, premiership winner, rep player - the man isn't perfect but I'm prepared to overlook the few negatives given the service he's given the club.
Footballers play football , coaches coach and boards run the whole shebang Yoss

Robbie had been in the game long enough to know better than to stick his nose in club politics , coaches etc

If Robbie wasn't happy with the coach he leaves , not try and get involved with politics and get the numbers to have everything his whole way

What made Robbie think he was bigger than the club , IC's mentality is far better and the results are there for all to see

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 12:38 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Thu 19 Apr, 2018 2:14 am
gallagher wrote:
Wed 18 Apr, 2018 11:54 pm
Telltails wrote:
Wed 18 Apr, 2018 11:39 pm
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/robbie ... 5fdbdbe413

.... surely not? But maybe...
Two years after he retires and as an ambassador according to the article. I can't see a problem with that.
Article is over a year old

And CK Marshall has been good .......when he has stuck to the same page that Cleary is on

Hodgo's been handed the strongest ISP team in the league

We bring Farah back and he will test his power within the club again at some stage

Why are so many on the Forum so into this "Back to the Future "

You'd swear we have been a league powerhouse based on some opinion's , not the club with the worst record since the inception of the NRL era and the amalgamation of Wests /Balmain
The article says it will be 2 years after he retires snd as an ambassador.
So four years after we booted him he will be mingling with members and sponsors on game day. That's all. I don't see the problem, even though I wanted him out and would hate to see him coaching in any position.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 12:41 pm

851 wrote:
Thu 19 Apr, 2018 12:34 pm
Yossarian wrote:
I get some people didn't like the guy but some of the stuff being written about Farah is just hysterical. His biggest "fault" seems to be he gave a crap and had to be dynamited out of a club that others were only too happy to leave. It's a bit much blaming him for the post-2011 malaise and ignoring the role he played in 2005 & 2010. Maybe he was representative of player power gone wrong but to me that was more to do with weak, unfocused and divided boards. Others who were just as if not more responsible for such things seem to get less criticism.

Local junior, premiership winner, rep player - the man isn't perfect but I'm prepared to overlook the few negatives given the service he's given the club.
Hard to argue Yoss, if JT hadn't come to the club it could have been handled properly and peoples opinions may be different.
x2 for all his faults Farah gave the utmost on the field and if we lost he never walked off with a smile/laughing like i have seen others do.He took a loss personally

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 12:42 pm

851 wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

Hard to argue Yoss, if JT hadn't come to the club it could have been handled properly and peoples opinions may be different.
Remember he tried to take Potter to the cleaners and was a major player in Sheens departure as well

"Short memory must have a short memory"

If only he had stuck to playing football , what he was paid big bucks to do

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by old man tiger » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 12:43 pm

Yossarian wrote:

I criticised him harshly when he wouldn't leave and stand by that in that particular scenario, but he is a WT legend and my memories of him on the field are generally positive. If he's retired I'm happy to focus on the positive and wish him all the best for the future.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 12:50 pm

People still not twigging this is old news?

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 12:54 pm

Good god, why on earth have people dragged back up this old thread. Let it die.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 12:54 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Thu 19 Apr, 2018 12:38 pm
Yossarian wrote:

Robbie had been in the game long enough to know better than to stick his nose in club politics , coaches etc

If Robbie wasn't happy with the coach he leaves , not try and get involved with politics and get the numbers to have everything his whole way

What made Robbie think he was bigger than the club , IC's mentality is far better and the results are there for all to see
Where's the evidence he was as heavily involved as everyone makes out? Supposedly one year he can get rid of Potter but the next he's being forced out by Taylor. He was club captain - he had every right to make his feelings known. If the board and CEO were any good they could have said what you said - leave if you're unhappy. Never happened. Even when JT was trying to get him out he was reluctant.

It's your opinion he thought he was bigger than the club. I just think he cared. When he was there a few individuals were very influential and important. Again, to me this is a reflection of a culture allowed by a weak ineffective back office and players filling the void. You reckon Benji just sat around and didn't have a voice? Pat Richards? Moses? Woods?

The main point is are his alleged personality faults more worthy of attention than his playing achievements in the scheme of things?

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 12:57 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Thu 19 Apr, 2018 12:50 pm
People still not twigging this is old news?
I don't think the discussion of his legacy is Ink. I think most people understand the original spark for the thread is old news. Maybe it needs a title change.

barra

Post by barra » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 12:58 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Thu 19 Apr, 2018 12:54 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

Where's the evidence he was as heavily involved as everyone makes out? Supposedly one year he can get rid of Potter but the next he's being forced out by Taylor. He was club captain - he had every right to make his feelings known. If the board and CEO were any good they could have said what you said - leave if you're unhappy. Never happened. Even when JT was trying to get him out he was reluctant.

It's your opinion he thought he was bigger than the club. I just think he cared. When he was there a few individuals were very influential and important. Again, to me this is a reflection of a culture allowed by a weak ineffective back office and players filling the void. You reckon Benji just sat around and didn't have a voice? Pat Richards? Moses? Woods?

The main point is are his alleged personality faults more worthy of attention than his playing achievements in the scheme of things?
True - and the day that Farah made me re-think the legend status that I'd held him in, was when we lost to the Warriors in the final.

It was the end of relatively successful season. The stadium was full. But instead of acknowledging that, Farah chucked a sulk and led the team straight off the field. There were young kids sitting near me that were literally in tears not because we lost but because the team did not say a thank you or a farewell.

Sure, he wears his heart on his sleeve and bled the colours of our club. But that day Robbie put his own feelings above the fans. It wasn't the type of club leadership that has my respect. It might seem an insignificant act to some but it does give an insight and I simply could not imagine some opposition leaders doing this whatever the circumstances.

What might have changed with Robbie? Not much as far as I've seen since.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 12:59 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:
Good god, why on earth have people dragged back up this old thread. Let it die.
Oh okay sure. Do let me know what threads you'll allow further comment on.

colmcd

Post by colmcd » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 1:06 pm

851 wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

Agreed 100% Not saying he was perfect. I am saying he gave a crap and bleed for the club. We should move on from Robbie bashing and remember that Gordon Idiot Tallis started this mess. Lets train our cross hairs on him.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 1:24 pm

Yossarian wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

I'm not saying others weren't involved in Taylor or Sheens sackings or Potter not being re-signed

We know for a fact from Sheens mouth himself that Robbie and Benj were involved

We know for a fact Robbie wasn't a fan of Potter

And he isn't on Taylor's Xmas Card list either

I come back to same point every time Yoss , Robbie was hired to play Rugby League , nothing more , nothing less

Yes he was club captain and arguably are most important player , but that doesn't give him the right when things didn't go his way to try and force change

And then we have the Jacob Miller .....

Champion footballer , should of stuck to footy

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 1:27 pm

colmcd wrote:
Thu 19 Apr, 2018 1:06 pm
851 wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

Agreed 100% Not saying he was perfect. I am saying he gave a crap and bleed for the club. We should move on from Robbie bashing and remember that Gordon Idiot Tallis started this mess. Lets train our cross hairs on him.
Yes course it was Tallis's fault :crazy

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 1:39 pm

Yes he was a great player for Wests Tigers. Granted.
Why then did Wests Tigers put so much effort into getting rid of him? Without any evidence at all, let's think, perhaps there were other factors.
Who really believes we would be in the position we are in now if he were still here?
Who thinks Ivan Cleary would have come here if he were still here?
Dragging up and rehashing the past is a waste of time, except when it informs your future. Our present is evidence enough.
"Quality Stupidity"

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 2:18 pm

Winning coaches dont get sacked its as simple as that. Coaches are sacked at all clubs based on performance and its no different at our club.

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 3:14 pm

colmcd wrote:
Thu 19 Apr, 2018 1:06 pm
851 wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

Gordon Tallis' fault. 😂

Hope Farah is turned away at the gate if ever he tries to enter leichardt.

What a piece of work he was. He deserved to finish up on South's scrap heap.

hugh1954

Post by hugh1954 » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 6:23 pm

Taylor had no back up players like Ivan now has at his disposal, in Taylors time you were picked each week with a mediocre performance. Nofa was in that culture and has now found very early on that its consistent performance that holds your place in the team and i think that they are all buying in on that premise