Neil Henry never wanted to sign Jarryd Hayne

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
Tacky
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 59 times

Neil Henry never wanted to sign Jarryd Hayne

Unread post by Tacky » Wed 09 Aug, 2017 3:34 pm

WITH Neil Henry under pressure to keep his job, the blame game for the Titans’ miserable form slump is being played out and now it’s emerged the coach may never have been on board with the marquee signing of Jarryd Hayne.

In a fiery discussion on Fox Sports’ NRL360, senior News Corp journalist Paul Kent revealed the decision sign Hayne on a multi-million dollar deal last year was driven entirely by the Titans board, with Henry against it because it flew in the face of the way he likes to manage a salary cap.

Weighing in to the conversation, Kent’s The Daily Telegraph colleague Phil Rothfield said Henry likes to coach a club with an “even roster” forgoing highly paid stars and no frills players on $200,000 and less to put together a balanced list of mid-range talent.

The board won out, Hayne was brought to the Gold Coast, and the club has sunk towards the bottom of the ladder.

“It was the board that wanted to sign Jarryd Hayne, not the coach,” Kent said.

WITH Neil Henry under pressure to keep his job, the blame game for the Titans’ miserable form slump is being played out and now it’s emerged the coach may never have been on board with the marquee signing of Jarryd Hayne.

In a fiery discussion on Fox Sports’ NRL360, senior News Corp journalist Paul Kent revealed the decision sign Hayne on a multi-million dollar deal last year was driven entirely by the Titans board, with Henry against it because it flew in the face of the way he likes to manage a salary cap.

Weighing in to the conversation, Kent’s The Daily Telegraph colleague Phil Rothfield said Henry likes to coach a club with an “even roster” forgoing highly paid stars and no frills players on $200,000 and less to put together a balanced list of mid-range talent.

The board won out, Hayne was brought to the Gold Coast, and the club has sunk towards the bottom of the ladder.

“It was the board that wanted to sign Jarryd Hayne, not the coach,” Kent said.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/media- ... 0d91feed91

Makes a lot of sense. I've been wondering for awhile why they signed him when he seems to go against everything the Titans were building for last season. His ego looks like a real moral killer for the rest of the team as well. The NRL isn't like the NFL, in that there's no room for egos and selfish players, it's much more of a team sport.

And to think there were some on here who wanted to sign him up to the Tigers next season. :crazy
WTF's self proclaimed #1 anarchist. President of the Michael Chee-Kam fan club

Earl
Has liked: 141 times
Been liked: 89 times

Unread post by Earl » Wed 09 Aug, 2017 4:41 pm

It only works signing players like that if you have ample brown paper bags.

Fade To Black
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 61 times

Unread post by Fade To Black » Wed 09 Aug, 2017 9:44 pm

Henry would have been even more against having Hayne at the club when all he kept rabbiting on about at his press conference announcing his signing was Parra this, Parra that. It was bizarre even from an outsiders point of view, Titans fans must of been having massive doubts when they were listening to that.

Basil Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Basil Tiger » Wed 09 Aug, 2017 9:58 pm

Apparently Parra. offered him a low ball contract(pre Titans) related to "Salary Cap pressures" ,but if they had wanted him they would have found a way,it was rumoured Arthur wasn't interested.
Greetings All,from far Northern NSW.

Tiger Come Lately
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 45 times

Unread post by Tiger Come Lately » Wed 09 Aug, 2017 10:03 pm

We should sign Jarrod as our fullback!

Tiger Steve
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 78 times

Unread post by Tiger Steve » Wed 09 Aug, 2017 10:12 pm

Tiger Come Lately wrote:
Wed 09 Aug, 2017 10:03 pm
I've followed the Tigers for close to 50 years. They sign Hayne I'd walk away. He is everything I disrespect as a footballer. No grit, no heart, doesn't play for the team, hunts the glory play. Talented - yes; a good team man - not even close

Milky
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by Milky » Wed 09 Aug, 2017 10:25 pm

Got to feel for Neil Henry. He was building something very nice at the Titans, everything went downwards after Hayne signed mid-way last season.

I think they could have really challenged for the title last season if it weren't for his disruption.

Though, Henry isn't really doing himself any favours with his team selections. One week Roberts this 5/8, the next it's Elgey. One week Haynes at fullback, the other he is at centre. Same with Roberts moving around between wing and fullback.

Your side needs to gel, you cannot keep changing combinations, it is really hurting the titans.

However, there is no way Henry can be sacked. If I were the club, I would try moving on Hayne. All you really need to do is threaten to drop him to NSW Cup. His ego is way too big to play there.

Tiger Come Lately
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 45 times

Unread post by Tiger Come Lately » Wed 09 Aug, 2017 10:25 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Wed 09 Aug, 2017 10:12 pm
Tiger Come Lately wrote:
Wed 09 Aug, 2017 10:03 pm
I've followed the Tigers for close to 50 years. They sign Hayne I'd walk away. He is everything I disrespect as a footballer. No grit, no heart, doesn't play for the team, hunts the glory play. Talented - yes; a good team man - not even close
I was just kidding, I'd just read the thread on signing suggested and then jumped to this one. Not a fan of Headline Hayne.

Tiger Steve
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 78 times

Unread post by Tiger Steve » Wed 09 Aug, 2017 10:29 pm

Milky wrote:
Wed 09 Aug, 2017 10:25 pm
Got to feel for Neil Henry. He was building something very nice at the Titans, everything went downwards after Hayne signed mid-way last season.

I think they could have really challenged for the title last season if it weren't for his disruption.

Though, Henry isn't really doing himself any favours with his team selections. One week Roberts this 5/8, the next it's Elgey. One week Haynes at fullback, the other he is at centre. Same with Roberts moving around between wing and fullback.

Your side needs to gel, you cannot keep changing combinations, it is really hurting the titans.

However, there is no way Henry can be sacked. If I were the club, I would try moving on Hayne. All you really need to do is threaten to drop him to NSW Cup. His ego is way too big to play there.
What I loved about the Titans (unless they were playing us!) was that they were never out of a game. They fought to the end always and played for each other. That trait has disappeared

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 204 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 09 Aug, 2017 10:52 pm

"The board wanted to sign him" is code for NRL. He was set to go back to Parra, he told Brad Arthur. Then the NRL come along and tell him if he signs with GC they will give him a 600k top up. The guy isn't made of stone.

westTAHger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by westTAHger » Thu 10 Aug, 2017 8:32 am

Have Titans got value for money from Hayne?
Results show otherwise....
:sign: once a sprite in black and white.
now I am bold, in black, white and gold

" Hell and heaven, they can wait for you,
So go and do all the things that you want to do ".

From the Stereophonics song " C'est La Vie

Earl
Has liked: 141 times
Been liked: 89 times

Unread post by Earl » Thu 10 Aug, 2017 8:47 am

I can't stand Hayne but on reasonable dollars he'd be great for us. He can play a lot of positions and he is a game winner.

We'll never get him though because I think Cleary would just make him low ball offers and he wouldn't come for that. I doubt any club will offer him good money now though because he is destabilising influence at any club.

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 158 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Thu 10 Aug, 2017 8:50 am

Hopefully Roberts cannot nail down a spot due to the golden child and we make an offer to him. Bloody handy player to have around the traps. Seems that getting away from Newcastle was the best thing for him.
I swing like hell but know full well that I won't win the fight, but big man I'm the beta male that's gonna ruin your night...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

NT Tiger
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 39 times

Unread post by NT Tiger » Thu 10 Aug, 2017 9:40 am

No Hayne, No Pain!
This is not his house!
"Quality Stupidity"

Gary Bakerloo
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by Gary Bakerloo » Thu 10 Aug, 2017 2:40 pm

Hayne's best performances are behind him.

bathursttiger
Has liked: 370 times
Been liked: 84 times

Unread post by bathursttiger » Thu 10 Aug, 2017 6:10 pm

Geez that would hurt the Golden Childs ego, not being wanted by the coach.

colmcd
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 58 times

Unread post by colmcd » Thu 10 Aug, 2017 10:46 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Wed 09 Aug, 2017 10:52 pm
"The board wanted to sign him" is code for NRL. He was set to go back to Parra, he told Brad Arthur. Then the NRL come along and tell him if he signs with GC they will give him a 600k top up. The guy isn't made of stone.
I know, it was a business partnership... But only if he signs with the titans! What on earth was that about?

I understand that the NRL want the titans to succeed and don't want to be paying for them. They should stay out of the way.

MightyMaggy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by MightyMaggy » Fri 11 Aug, 2017 7:22 am

This is the best summary of Hayne's ability and lack of application.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rugby-le ... spartandhp

Return to “National Rugby League”