RLPA arrogance.

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
stryker
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 141 times

RLPA arrogance.

Unread post by stryker » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 3:05 pm

Its been interesting to watch the players uniting on this dispute. The players at the highest levels drew massive attention during origin and with threats to boycott the Dally Ms and the WC they are attempting to portray that they mean business.

That is, until you saw them assembled at the meeting in Sydney last week, and you hear the remarks made by one of their leaders, James Maloney. Firstly, the meeting in Sydney...I commented that ive never seen so many adults wearing hoodies. Half looked like mature aged students turning up for their HSC exams with the remainder their drug dealers for the afterparties. Fair dinkum..when you are arguing about hundreds of millions of dollars, you do so in a professional manner or else you are not taken seriously. Secondly Maloney considers everyone associated with Rugby League, outside of the 400 NRL contracted players, to be "accessories".

The contempt for everyone and arrogant attitude dripping from his statement should not be downplayed here. How many of these players think this way? Whatever good intentions some of them had has now been replaced by an elitist paradigm that the players are the only stakeholder that matters. Not the management that runs the game, clubs who nuture and train, coaches who teach and improve, sponsors and fans who pay for it and through word of mouth support it, the referees who control the rules, medical staff who make it possible for them to take the field, families who sacrifice for them to chase their dreams, security who keep them safe, the women who are flocking to the code in all types of roles, ex players who inspire and leave footprints to be overtaken, volunteers who give up a day every week to raise money and organise, the journalists who keep attention focused upon it and hundreds of thousands of kids who are striving to provide the next generation....nope, they are all window dressing. The only thing that matters is these 400 men who are already well compensated.

What a moron this guy is. He showed his true colours this origin series where his petulant responses to the losses proved how immature and self centered he is. No comment either about how every year the players find some new way to drag the game through the sewer..just that their opinions and wants should be respected as they are all that matters. Bloody disgraceful.

supercoach
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 49 times

Unread post by supercoach » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 3:43 pm

RLPA is fast on the way to killing the goose that laid the golden egg. How stupid are these people, crowds are down ratings are down and fans are walking away in droves, and they want to screw the game for more. What happens when the next TV rights is well down on the current one, will they take a drop in pay ????

I am all for more money being directed into grass roots and the lower levels of the game, but the game can only do what it can afford

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 197 times

Unread post by Geo. » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 3:45 pm

Cammy is the President..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Tiger Watto
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 30 times

Unread post by Tiger Watto » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 3:56 pm

30% Revenue share is the best deal they will get... Any more and the game will be finished!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 76 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 3:57 pm

The line about doing it for the blokes who "bust themselves playing the game for 150K a year" got me.

I know plenty who break their backs for far less, and they have to do it for their whole lives.

And they wonder why there is becoming a bit of a disconnect with the games working class roots...
Cause there's no time for fussing or fighting my friend, but baby I'm amazed at the hate that you can send;
And you... Painted my entire world, and I don't have the turpentine to clean what you have soiled, and I won't forget it.

Fuerza en la adversidad.

Spud Murphy
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 58 times

Unread post by Spud Murphy » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 6:38 pm

Post of the year Stryker! A copy of it should be emailed to Maloney and all the other disrespectful flogs who turned up on the night in their hoodies. What an ungrateful bunch of tossers!

Fraze23
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by Fraze23 » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 7:23 pm

I thought it's all a but rich coming from Maloney. Wasn't he the bloke who signed a contract with the Sharks then wanted out of it this year because he saw the ridiculous money being thrown at young halves? If you're not happy with the money, don't sign the contract in the first place.

I hope the NRL takes a tough stance on this and doesn't bow down to them. If they don't want to play in the WC then let them sit out. I'm sure that 17 other blokes will put their hand up.

Swordy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 39 times

Unread post by Swordy » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 7:29 pm

I too took notice about their appearance. It might mean nothing to some, but turn up looking well dressed and respectful shows professionalism. They turned up looking like the Bagg family, scum, dirt and sh##.

For me, every after that was downhill. That highlighted the pathetic attitude before the doors were open.
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 197 times

Unread post by Geo. » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 7:31 pm

Maloney was referring directly to Greenburg and Grant with his comment...Of course it would be unlike the Media to take it out of context so gullible punters would run with it..

I think a lot would agree with his sentiments with regard to the NRL hierarchy..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Russell
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 82 times

Unread post by Russell » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 7:37 pm

Cancel the Dally M's and the World Cup - RL is not to be blackmailed.

If need be cancel all the contracts and start again.

The ARL overcame Super League to a certain extent and they can overcome these Morons as well.

jirskyr
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 87 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 7:53 pm

Maloney killed me in the paper today, he said he wasn't doing any of this for himself or the higher-tier players, rather "the other blokes who put their bodies on the line for $150K each year".

Mate shows what a wake-up call you need, the average Aussie salary is around half of that ($88K) and very very many Aussies put everything on the line, not just their health, but their spare time, their houses, their education, their stress levels on the line to earn a living.

I know footballers get tackled and get hurt, but the potential earnings are huge, you are paid to be fit, and if you don't make it, you do what other people do and choose a different career. Yes some footballers are disabled and that's a big risk, but no worse a risk for construction workers, police, tradies etc.

Harvey
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 48 times

Unread post by Harvey » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 8:13 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Tue 29 Aug, 2017 7:53 pm
Maloney killed me in the paper today, he said he wasn't doing any of this for himself or the higher-tier players, rather "the other blokes who put their bodies on the line for $150K each year".

Mate shows what a wake-up call you need, the average Aussie salary is around half of that ($88K) and very very many Aussies put everything on the line, not just their health, but their spare time, their houses, their education, their stress levels on the line to earn a living.

I know footballers get tackled and get hurt, but the potential earnings are huge, you are paid to be fit, and if you don't make it, you do what other people do and choose a different career. Yes some footballers are disabled and that's a big risk, but no worse a risk for construction workers, police, tradies etc.
I think you are being very harsh. Construction workers, police, tradies etc usually have at least basic social skills that means unless they are permanently incapacited they will be able to find a way to support themselves.

From what I have seen, most NRL players lack these skills and struggle to adapt to society outside their cocooned, whisperer supported, unaccountable lifestyles.

sheer64
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 20 times

Unread post by sheer64 » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 8:44 pm

All the way with RLPA!
Arise Sir Waste Anasta, Tool of the highest order!

stryker

Unread post by stryker » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 9:50 pm

They are threatening to boycot a night that celebrates them whilst withdrawing the threat on the WC because it wont be fair to emerging nations....

Call their bluff. No awards for anyone this year and make all ringleaders unavailable for WC selection. In a round about way thatll be fairer for the emerging nations anyhow.

stryker

Unread post by stryker » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 9:54 pm

Geo. wrote:
Tue 29 Aug, 2017 7:31 pm
Maloney was referring directly to Greenburg and Grant with his comment...Of course it would be unlike the Media to take it out of context so gullible punters would run with it..

I think a lot would agree with his sentiments with regard to the NRL hierarchy..
:crazy How could you possibly be that naive?

Tiger Steve
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 28 times

Unread post by Tiger Steve » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 10:11 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Tue 29 Aug, 2017 3:57 pm
The line about doing it for the blokes who "bust themselves playing the game for 150K a year" got me.

I know plenty who break their backs for far less, and they have to do it for their whole lives.

And they wonder why there is becoming a bit of a disconnect with the games working class roots...
I think your last point really resonates. Money changes everything and the games best being elitist and massive money earners gas indeed caused a disconnect. The average footy supporter doesn't feel the same connection as before when the players were average blokes a lot like the rest of us. Now they lead lifestyles only a few can enjoy but aren't necessarily respected because some display pathetic social and communication skills.

They are also robotic with the media. They say very little and come across even more distant and distracted.

I am generalising of course. Some are humble and real but they are overshadowed by the showponies.

tiger pom
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by tiger pom » Wed 30 Aug, 2017 12:39 am

While im in no way supporting the RLPA or the comments of James Maloney i think it all comes down to the world we now live in.Many wonderful soccer players of my era have ended skint(some with only themselves to blame)only to see players with a quarter of the talent set up for life after just a couple of seasons in the premier league.What i find even more sickening is the film industry with the majority of actors ,directors and producers who so far up their own arses are awarded oscars awards that make them even more so full of their own importance its beyond comprehension.As for the hoodies that were worn i have a photo of three Everton players at Meydan races with complimentary badges dressed as if they have just finished gardening.Unfortunately im an old dog and new tricks man and am not able to post it as i dont know how to do so.Money has ruined all that is good in football and most other sports are going the same way.

Tiger Watto
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 30 times

Unread post by Tiger Watto » Wed 30 Aug, 2017 6:42 am

I could see some sort of boycott for the Dally M Medal ceremony, but for the life of me could never envisage them boycotting the Australian Kangaroos Jumper.

To even make the threat of boycotting playing for your country is a disgrace... I hope Mal gives them a huge serve when they enter camp!!!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Return to “National Rugby League”