Penrith salary cap rumour

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
dex78

Penrith salary cap rumour

Unread post by dex78 » Fri 01 Sep, 2017 3:07 pm

Just heard a rumour that Penrith are over the cap for 2018- 19 and are looking to offload a high profile player, we were mentioned as possibly chasing moylan.. anyone heard anything?

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 137 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 01 Sep, 2017 3:19 pm

Moylan is not coming here.
I'm the least you could do, if only life was easy as you...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

jai_donaldson
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by jai_donaldson » Fri 01 Sep, 2017 3:36 pm

Also just read the same rumor on Sporting News. Not exactly a reputable source though. They wouldn't let him go.

Yossarian
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 106 times

Unread post by Yossarian » Fri 01 Sep, 2017 3:37 pm

I'm told it is all rubbish.

Tigerdon
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 88 times

Unread post by Tigerdon » Fri 01 Sep, 2017 4:24 pm

Nathan Cleary?
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

Bozo97
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by Bozo97 » Fri 01 Sep, 2017 4:34 pm

I'd be thrilled if we did get him, but I just don't see it happening unfortunately.

Roar Power
Has liked: 22 times

Unread post by Roar Power » Fri 01 Sep, 2017 4:49 pm

I can see the reason this might eventuate.

1. Penrith want Nathan Cleary long term. Two halves on massive coin will hinder retaining plenty of the other guys
2. We have the cash and can also provide Moylan a long term contract
3. We have the ability to move Reynolds to hooker, giving a spine of Lolohea, Moylan, Brooks and Reynolds - a good mix of youth and experience

Likely won't happen but I wouldn't discount it totally.

Eye of the Tiger
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by Eye of the Tiger » Fri 01 Sep, 2017 4:52 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Fri 01 Sep, 2017 3:37 pm
I'm told it is all rubbish.
It is amazing what some of these "News outlets" come up with.

I was hoping this one would be true. Would add a little bit of class we need

Red Rugby
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Red Rugby » Fri 01 Sep, 2017 5:09 pm

PrattenParkMagpie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by PrattenParkMagpie » Fri 01 Sep, 2017 5:15 pm

September 1 2017 - 4:59PM
Michael Chemmas – SMH

Rival NRL clubs circling Penrith Panthers captain Matt Moylan amid speculation over future

Rival NRL clubs have made enquiries about Matt Moylan amid speculation the Panthers skipper is unsettled at Penrith.

Fairfax Media understands Penrith want the 26-year-old to see out the remaining four years of his contract, but would consider granting him a release should he secure a mammoth offer to play elsewhere.

Penrith general manager Phil Gould and coach Anthony Griffin held a meeting with Moylan this week, raising concerns over some of his choices during his rehabilitation from a hamstring injury.

It is understood his future wasn't a topic of discussion, however Panthers officials are well aware of the noise rival clubs are making in regards to snaring Moylan's signature.

The NSW and Australian representative only last year signed a contract extension until the end of 2021, but that hasn't stopped rival clubs from expressing interest in his services for next year.

"All I know at this stage is he has four years on his contract to go," Panthers chief executive Brian Fletcher told Fairfax Media. "To my knowledge, at this stage, that's the deal. He's a Penrith boy through and through. We want him here but we can't control what he wants to do."

The Wests Tigers are in need of a fullback to replace James Tedesco, while the Cronulla Sharks could be on the lookout for a five-eighth should they decide to release two-time premiership-winner James Maloney. Newcastle and Parramatta also have some wiggle room in the salary cap for next year.

While Moylan has played most of his career at fullback, the Penrith captain wants to make the permanent transition into the halves – something that was met with resistance from Penrith coach Anthony Griffin and general manager Phil Gould earlier in the season.

However the emergence of Dylan Edwards, as well as the inability of Te Maire Martin and Bryce Cartwright to fire in the No.6 jersey, saw Moylan given his chance in the halves alongside Nathan Cleary.

The Panthers have won six of eight games with Moylan at five-eighth, however injury has restricted him to just two games in the last six weeks of the regular season.
It's been a frustrating period for both Moylan and the club, leading to speculation amongst rival clubs that there may be a window of opportunity to nab him from the Panthers.

Ivan Cleary was the coach who handed Moylan his debut and is currently keeping his options open trying to find a replacement for the Roosters-bound Tedesco.

There has been a suggestion Moylan could be squeezed out of the Panthers because of salary cap constraints, however Fairfax Media understands the Panthers are in a healthy position with their roster – even with Moylan on the books next year.

North Queensland's loss to Brisbane has all but guaranteed Penrith's place in the finals, however a 37 point loss or greater to Manly on Saturday afternoon could see the Panthers drop out if the Dragons knock off Canterbury on Sunday.

Moylan's unavailability with a hamstring injury has been compounded by the loss of fullback Dylan Edwards, forcing coach Anthony Griffin to experiment with Dean Whare at No.1.

"It's opened up a really good opportunity for Dean Whare," Griffin said. "Obviously Dylan's done a good job but we've got total confidence in Dean tomorrow night."
Bring back Dr Pepper and Hazelnut Rolls

Don’t you ever let a chance go by, O Claws, don’t you ever let a chance go by....

upthetigers
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by upthetigers » Fri 01 Sep, 2017 5:23 pm

This would be awesome if true. Reynold's quick runs from dummy half would open up space for Moylan to show his class. We need some class we're just another team struggling to make the 8 next year without it.

Russell
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 118 times

Unread post by Russell » Fri 01 Sep, 2017 5:30 pm

Well let's hope this is all crap.

My understanding is that we have a Full Back for 2018.

If he was to play 5/8 and we move Reynolds to DH - what do we do with Liddle? Oh! just play him in ISP.
Don't think so. Reynolds is nowhere near a better DH than Liddle. That means we play Reynolds in ISP.
Don't think so. Since when do you play a 750k player in ISP. (Know your answer BBF - does not apply).

All we need is another player in the halves with hamstring problems, that would give us a trifecta.

Also it is quoted "but would consider granting him a release should he secure a mammoth offer to play elsewhere."

Isn't the star of the team - "the team" - don't need him, I am hoping Cleary does not relent.

Earl
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 83 times

Unread post by Earl » Fri 01 Sep, 2017 5:39 pm

I'd love him to come here on a fair contract which definitely isn't a mammoth offer.

Roar Power
Has liked: 22 times

Unread post by Roar Power » Fri 01 Sep, 2017 5:42 pm

Russell wrote:
Fri 01 Sep, 2017 5:30 pm

If he was to play 5/8 and we move Reynolds to DH - what do we do with Liddle? Oh! just play him in ISP.
Don't think so. Reynolds is nowhere near a better DH than Liddle. That means we play Reynolds in ISP.
Don't think so. Since when do you play a 750k player in ISP. (Know your answer BBF - does not apply).

All we need is another player in the halves with hamstring problems, that would give us a trifecta.

Also it is quoted "but would consider granting him a release should he secure a mammoth offer to play elsewhere."

Isn't the star of the team - "the team" - don't need him, I am hoping Cleary does not relent.
What your saying is if it was out of Moylan and Liddle, the latter is the clear cut keeper?

hobbo
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 78 times

Unread post by hobbo » Fri 01 Sep, 2017 5:44 pm

Moylan has a face you just want to punch , but he'd be a handy signing :lol:
EPL 2014/15 Predict 6
Competition ...CHAMPION !
Winner of the 2016 $$$$
Work tipping comp !

goldcoast tiger
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 57 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Fri 01 Sep, 2017 5:50 pm

He'd be better than anyone that we've signed so far. , but I doubt he'll leave the Panthers for us.

Russell
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 118 times

Unread post by Russell » Fri 01 Sep, 2017 5:54 pm

Roar Power wrote:
Fri 01 Sep, 2017 5:42 pm
Russell wrote:
Fri 01 Sep, 2017 5:30 pm

What your saying is if it was out of Moylan and Liddle, the latter is the clear cut keeper?
Absolutely RP - I think that Liddle will be our future SOO hooker in a few years.

Someone says put Reynolds at DH that is speedy, passing the ball to Moylan etc.....
Liddle is twice as quick as Reynolds.

He also wants to play for us and is not just chasing the dough.

We have just got rid of three of those types - don't need to bring another one to the club.

upthetigers
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by upthetigers » Fri 01 Sep, 2017 5:57 pm

Can Liddle play 80 minutes?

Return to “National Rugby League”