Finals series 2017 *Spoilers

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
Byron Bay Fan
Member
Member
Posts: 3824
Joined: Sat 17 Oct, 2015 2:14 pm
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 49 times

Finals series 2017 *Spoilers

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Wed 06 Sep, 2017 7:15 am

QUALIFYING FINAL - 4.10pm Saturday at AAMI Park

STORM (1) V EELS (4)

I rub it in to my Parra mate how Mitch is the weak link against Storm, how he didn't once test the line against Souths and he can't read the play in defence - my mate is in total denial. He raves on how the Eels were only one of the two teams to defeat the Storm this year.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)


andrew 474
Member
Member
Posts: 1410
Joined: Sat 11 Jun, 2011 2:15 pm
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by andrew 474 » Wed 06 Sep, 2017 7:19 am

Storm by 30

User avatar
Spud Murphy
Member
Member
Posts: 900
Joined: Sat 13 May, 2017 5:04 pm
Location: Second Heaven
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by Spud Murphy » Wed 06 Sep, 2017 8:39 am

I think the Eels will surprise, maybe not win, but they won't be pushovers.

User avatar
swag tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 1328
Joined: Wed 11 Nov, 2015 2:58 pm
Location: tiger island
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by swag tiger » Wed 06 Sep, 2017 8:41 am

storm by 18
I have family in Balmain and the Western suburbs so i guess that makes me a Balmain Westie

pdenny77
Member
Member
Posts: 156
Joined: Sat 16 Feb, 2013 8:06 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by pdenny77 » Wed 06 Sep, 2017 9:14 am

My hatred for the Storm pretty much dictates that I will barrack for any team that plays them even if that team contains a traitor!


User avatar
stryker
Member
Member
Posts: 10791
Joined: Sun 19 Jul, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: Cairns
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Unread post by stryker » Wed 06 Sep, 2017 2:31 pm

I must admit, I think the premiership this year is 100% Melbourne's to lose. They are far and away the best side in the comp and one of the most experienced. They have players leaving and or retiring after the GF which will also spur them on. Very hard to see anyone coming close to them, that said, they are beatable and 3 of the finals sides did get the money over them during the premiership rounds. Therefore, lets do a predictions thread on the outcomes of this finals series. Here's my take on it...

Qualifying finals
Sydney Roosters v Brisbane Broncos = Sydney Roosters
Melbourne Storm v Parramata Eels = Melbourne Storm
Elimination finals
Manly Sea Eagles v Penrith Panthers = Manly Sea Eagles
Cronulla Sharks v North Queensland Cowboys = Cronulla Sharks
Semi Finals
Brisbane Broncos v Manly Sea Eagles = Brisbane Broncos
Parramata Eels v Cronulla Sharks = Cronulla Sharks
Preliminary Finals
Sydney Roosters v Cronulla Sharks
Melbourne Storm v Brisbane Broncos
Grand Final
Melbourne Storm v Cronulla Sharks
Champion
Melbourne Storm

I get Storm winning in a replay of 2016.

User avatar
jrtiger
Member
Member
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun 19 Apr, 2015 5:17 pm
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by jrtiger » Wed 06 Sep, 2017 2:36 pm

stryker wrote:
Wed 06 Sep, 2017 2:31 pm
I must admit, I think the premiership this year is 100% Melbourne's to lose. They are far and away the best side in the comp and one of the most experienced. They have players leaving and or retiring after the GF which will also spur them on. Very hard to see anyone coming close to them, that said, they are beatable and 3 of the finals sides did get the money over them during the premiership rounds. Therefore, lets do a predictions thread on the outcomes of this finals series. Here's my take on it...

Qualifying finals
Sydney Roosters v Brisbane Broncos = Sydney Roosters
Melbourne Storm v Parramata Eels = Melbourne Storm
Elimination finals
Manly Sea Eagles v Penrith Panthers = Manly Sea Eagles
Cronulla Sharks v North Queensland Cowboys = Cronulla Sharks
Semi Finals
Brisbane Broncos v Manly Sea Eagles = Brisbane Broncos
Parramata Eels v Cronulla Sharks = Cronulla Sharks
Preliminary Finals
Sydney Roosters v Cronulla Sharks
Melbourne Storm v Brisbane Broncos
Grand Final
Melbourne Storm v Cronulla Sharks
Champion
Melbourne Storm

I get Storm winning in a replay of 2016.
I can honestly see Parramatta pulling an upset this week. I have Melbourne to eventually win the comp, but Parra's form and style of play can really unsettle Melbourne and give them a bit of a scare at the very least.

gallagher
Member
Member
Posts: 4013
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 47 times

Unread post by gallagher » Wed 06 Sep, 2017 2:39 pm

I can see Parra winning this week too and then meeting Melbourne In the grand final. Melbourne are the only consistent team in the 8.

User avatar
stryker
Member
Member
Posts: 10791
Joined: Sun 19 Jul, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: Cairns
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Unread post by stryker » Wed 06 Sep, 2017 3:01 pm

Its hard to present why I dont like Parra's chances but in a word...sabotage.
They have an awesome pack who run hard and use their shoulders in D and a backline that can do anything on their day. But they have a lot of hotheads and penalty givers who can lose them the game in the blink of an eye through poor discipline and/or brain explosions. They will be found out for mine, especially that skinny little poser in the 7 jumper. I think they will go out in straight sets to the eventual GF combatants.

gallagher
Member
Member
Posts: 4013
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 47 times

Unread post by gallagher » Wed 06 Sep, 2017 3:07 pm

stryker wrote:
Wed 06 Sep, 2017 3:01 pm
Its hard to present why I dont like Parra's chances but in a word...sabotage.
They have an awesome pack who run hard and use their shoulders in D and a backline that can do anything on their day. But they have a lot of hotheads and penalty givers who can lose them the game in the blink of an eye through poor discipline and/or brain explosions. They will be found out for mine, especially that skinny little poser in the 7 jumper. I think they will go out in straight sets to the eventual GF combatants.
I hope your right. I'll be cheering on Melb and Benji's broncos this week. I cant say I've ever done that.

User avatar
stryker
Member
Member
Posts: 10791
Joined: Sun 19 Jul, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: Cairns
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Unread post by stryker » Wed 06 Sep, 2017 3:36 pm

Itd be great to see Benj in another GF. Crazy year for him this has been lol....

User avatar
jrtiger
Member
Member
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun 19 Apr, 2015 5:17 pm
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by jrtiger » Wed 06 Sep, 2017 3:39 pm

stryker wrote:
Wed 06 Sep, 2017 3:36 pm
Itd be great to see Benj in another GF. Crazy year for him this has been lol....
Yeah I'm going for Brisbane now that Benji's in the side, never thought I'd say it but all the media attention around him and the build up reminds me of us in 2010 and 2011 when he was the most feared player in the game, I really hope we see those days again soon of us in the finals and the ability we had to blow teams away.

User avatar
Cultured Bogan
Member
Member
Posts: 16118
Joined: Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Blue Mountains
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 139 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 06 Sep, 2017 3:47 pm

Aside from Penrith, I can't back any other side.

It's Melbourne's to lose, but in the interest of it being a great game I want it to be Easts and Storm. If the Cocks bring their game like they did last time they played Melbourne it'll be a top shelf game.
John Wayne would never use a surge protector!

Fuerza en la adversidad.

colmcd
Member
Member
Posts: 501
Joined: Wed 04 Jan, 2017 11:38 pm
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 52 times

Unread post by colmcd » Wed 06 Sep, 2017 4:20 pm

Here is my take.
Qualifying finals
Sydney Roosters v Brisbane Broncos = Brisbane Broncos (Roosters have been down on form)
Melbourne Storm v Parramatta Eels = Melbourne Storm
Elimination finals
Manly Sea Eagles v Penrith Panthers = Manly Sea Eagles
Cronulla Sharks v North Queensland Cowboys = Cronulla Sharks
Semi Finals
Sydney Roosters v Manly Sea Eagles = Sydney roosters.
Parramata Eels v Cronulla Sharks = Parramatta Eels.
Preliminary Finals
Brisbane Broncos v Parramatta Eels = ? I think Eels by a whisker.
Melbourne Storm v Sydney Roosters = Melbourne Storm
Grand Final
Melbourne Storm v Parramatta Eels.
Champion
? Melbourne by a whisker.

I am basically counting on the Roosters not being as good as people think they are. They have had players leave and against the Broncos I think they will be out muscled in the front (Bennett can coach finals teams and I expect the Broncos to rise). I would definitely not write off Brisbane vs Roosters.

I think the Storm are solid enough to beat Parramatta week 1, but who knows with injuries and suspensions after that, who knows.

Definite gap between the top 4 and 4-8. Prelim finals I expect everyone to roll over but maybe Cronulla. If it is Cronulla vs Eels it will be a tight game and if the Eels get too bruised they will be out. I don't see Cronulla winning and having the petrol to go back to back, not with the chaos of Jack Bird and everyone else aging a year. Roosters have the spine, but not the fullback. They are a star down and will go down of the top 3.

Melbourne are the team to beat, Broncos and Parramatta are the teams to beat them. so I am going to back westie's.

Fade To Black
Member
Member
Posts: 4770
Joined: Tue 21 Feb, 2012 5:51 pm
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 57 times

Unread post by Fade To Black » Wed 06 Sep, 2017 4:34 pm

Agree with CB-Penrith or the Cowboys are the only teams I would feel any joy in watching win the comp this year. And then Manly, sickeningly enough....that shows what vermin make up the top 5 teams this year.
Would love to see Penrith hit a hot streak of form and barnstorm through the finals to win it, can't really see it happening though.

Very unfair IMO that Sydney-based clubs cannot host home finals at their home ground unless it's Allianz or ANZ whereas Brisbane, Melbourne and NQ would play home finals at their home ground. Manly should get the advantage of playing at Brookvale this week, Storm are playing on their own dung-hill that would only have the same capacity as Brookie, Leichhardt, Cambo, Penrith, Shark Park, Kogarah etc.
Some teams get looked after much better than others IMO.

User avatar
stryker
Member
Member
Posts: 10791
Joined: Sun 19 Jul, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: Cairns
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Unread post by stryker » Wed 06 Sep, 2017 5:32 pm

LOL all of those Sydney grounds are the dunghills. Get out and broaden your horizons.

User avatar
TSupps05
Member
Member
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri 17 Jun, 2016 9:29 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by TSupps05 » Wed 06 Sep, 2017 5:40 pm

I have a funny feeling Parra will win this week and make it to the GF against Melbourne.

Fade To Black
Member
Member
Posts: 4770
Joined: Tue 21 Feb, 2012 5:51 pm
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 57 times

Unread post by Fade To Black » Wed 06 Sep, 2017 6:27 pm

stryker wrote:
Wed 06 Sep, 2017 5:32 pm
LOL all of those Sydney grounds are the dunghills. Get out and broaden your horizons.
Point being the capacity of these suburban grounds is virtually the same as Melbourne and Townsville, why not have the home ground advantage for all teams that have earnt it? Unfair advantage for a chosen few.

Post Reply

Return to “National Rugby League”