stryker wrote:
Mon 11 Sep, 2017 6:46 pm
He's having a good sook on 360 lol....
Maybe he needs something to pep him up.

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 188 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 11 Sep, 2017 6:57 pm

I remember Gallen laughing at Cleary earlier in the year when Cleary questioned the Tedesco no try when Gal took a dive. Whose crying now drug cheat.

Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 49 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Mon 11 Sep, 2017 7:27 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Mon 11 Sep, 2017 6:57 pm
I remember Gallen laughing at Cleary earlier in the year when Cleary questioned the Tedesco no try when Gal took a dive. Whose crying now drug cheat.
You guys know how to lay it on, you don't forget anything.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

ku5tom
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by ku5tom » Mon 11 Sep, 2017 7:28 pm

:roll

tig_prmz
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by tig_prmz » Mon 11 Sep, 2017 8:56 pm

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg has blasted Sea Eagles coach Trent Barrett and his Cronulla counterpart Shane Flanagan for their comments about match officials after both sides were bundled out in a dramatic Week One of the NRL Telstra Premiership Finals series.

In a week that saw two matches decided by two points and another in extra-time, the spotlight has been firmly focussed on the referees and the Bunker rather than the quality and theatre of the four finals matches.

Greenberg described the first week of the finals as "phenomenal" and was clearly frustrated that Barrett and Flanagan chose to deflect attention away from their teams' performances to the referees.

Barrett was left incensed after several Bunker decisions went against his side during Saturday night's 22-10 loss to the Panthers while Flanagan hit out at the on-field officials over a number of key calls despite his side making 17 errors and conceding 11 penalties in Sunday's extra-time loss to the Cowboys.

The hysteria around the decisions has dominated the media landscape for the past 48 hours and has taken the gloss off celebrated moments such as Latrell Mitchell's match-winning try as well as Cameron Smith's games record.

Coaches have been warned about attacking the officials in their post-match media conferences and as a result of this weekend's comments, Greenberg confirmed both the Sea Eagles and Sharks would receive breach notices in the next 24 hours.

"We've just had one of the most exciting rounds of finals footy I think of all time. Every game went down to the wire, two games were decided by two points and another game went into extra-time. We're very fortunate to have a sporting contest as even as this," Greenberg said at Rugby League Central on Monday.

"And yet, in a fantastic round of finals, it's been marred by the response of some of the losing teams. Unfortunately, we've developed a culture in our game of blaming match officials for a loss. It sets a terrible example for fans and a terrible example to grassroots and it's got to stop. It's time for the game to grow up."

Greenberg said referees had to be held accountable for their decisions and conceded that not every call was going to be correct, but was quick to add that he agreed with most of the calls from the weekend's games and said that the teams had to be responsible for their performances rather than point the finger at whistle-blowers.

At a time when it's becoming harder to attract people to become referees at grassroots level, Greenberg's hard stance should serve as a warning to coaches that such behaviour will not be tolerated.

"I'm not saying the referees are perfect; they never have been and they never will be. I'm not saying that our referees got every call right, but I have reviewed the games and I can tell you the vast majority of calls were spot on," he said.

"The disputes we're talking about are on some really tight calls – 50-50 calls – and there'll be debate and controversy no matter which way they go; that is the game. But players make mistakes too and that's what costs games and that's why teams lose; it's not the referees. That culture has to change. We have to grow up and take responsibility for our own outcomes.

"It's disappointing that losing coaches think that it's okay to take away from that wonderful weekend of footy and attack match officials. We expect a lot more from people in such influential positions.

"Our coaches have a responsibility to the game as well as a responsibility to their clubs and their actions and their comments must reflect that always. Emotion and passion and the heartbreak of your season ending is not an excuse. The game really does need to grow up.

"To suggest that a team won't be playing finals this weekend is only due to refereeing errors is ridiculous and needs to be called out.

"I'm not prepared to stand around and allow match officials to be blamed as the only reason for a club's loss."
from nrl.com

Well done todd
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

gallagher
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 51 times

Unread post by gallagher » Mon 11 Sep, 2017 9:22 pm

Fines do nothing. They need to dock them competition points.

cktiger
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by cktiger » Mon 11 Sep, 2017 9:33 pm

Greenberg is off with the fairies.
The refereeing standard at the moment is pitiful - and has been getting worse for years.
About time the NRL found a better way to get rid of the obvious errors that affect teams winning or losing.

Marshall_magic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Marshall_magic » Mon 11 Sep, 2017 11:31 pm

The refereeing is abysmal, but the Sharks had the chances to win that game but they blew it. When a coach and captain are quick to blame referees it filters through the squad and the players are less likely to have the fortitude to bounce back from it.

It's difficult for me to comment on Manly & Barrett as I have not seen the game.

tiger pom
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by tiger pom » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 12:10 am

Klien should be dropped from the referees roster.he is dreadful.

maxxy86
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by maxxy86 » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 6:46 am

tiger pom wrote:
Tue 12 Sep, 2017 12:10 am
Klien should be dropped from the referees roster.he is dreadful.
I thought retirement for klien also and then googled him and he's only 37. The only thing if he/they retire he will go straight to the bunker where he can still be ordinary. Horse heads a great example.
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:

Tigerdon
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 93 times

Unread post by Tigerdon » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 6:54 am

wt00 wrote:
Mon 11 Sep, 2017 1:40 pm
Rothfield's tears are delicious 😂😂
I've been hanging out for Rothfields comments....can't wait to read them. I need a good laugh.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

jirskyr
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 124 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 11:30 am

I don't agree about the refereeing standard being bad - it's more or less the same as it's always been, just that there is only ever more attention and scrutiny year on year. In parallel to this, players are more and more professional than they've ever been, and there is an extremely thin line between legal and illegal.

It's selective memory by some fans too. Some people really believe the officiating in the 80s, say, was superior to now, but sit down and watch a few matches from back then and see the howlers that occurred, howlers that were accepted in the wash because there was no alternative system. The standard of football wasn't specifically any better than now either, just different, and depending on your tastes or your nostalgia, for better or worse.

Surely people remember the 90s, when we finally got video refereeing and the howlers were mostly ironed out of the game. But along with the technology came an increasing reliance on interpretation for close calls, and these grey areas are now the ones that people get frustrated over.

So case in point Sharks v Cowboys last weekend. I don't honestly think Prior stripped the footy but that wasn't a video call, that was a live judgement, and they are your only two options - either you get the video to look at everything, or you give the majority of control to the on-field refs. I do honestly think Gallen dropped the football, and whilst I don't doubt there was some mess in the ruck, it is his responsibility to clear the ruck and play the football correctly. Gallen has history, I said it before, and you can only cry wolf so often before the refs stop listening. Also Gallen didn't have to surge at the line like a hero and play the ball in the teeth of crouched on-line defenders, he could have dropped 10 metres out and let his team set up for a field goal. But that's Gallen for you, he does what he thinks is best and sometimes his team pays for it, sometimes he just touches the ball too often.

I can't cop these coaches blaming specific close calls as being season-ending. Sharks simply weren't good enough, they've been limping all season and never managing to recapture the form from 2016. They made too many mistakes, gave away too many penalties and messed up their game plan on Sunday. Andrew Fifita going rogue wide at the death and dropping the football - perfect example of Cronulla's entire season. Flanagan embarrassed himself coming out in the presser with a sob sheet of calls he didn't like.

I won't ever forget 1989, when Bill Harrigan penalised Bruce McGuire for using a retreating offside Steve Walters as a shepherd. Ridiculous call, boils my blood even to today, that an attacker should be penalised for pushing against a player who has not retreated the 10. But that's not the only reason Balmain lost, Balmain lost for all the other reasons too - McNeil getting ankle-tapped, the Elias crossbar field goal, Junior dropping the football with the line open, Tigers failing to defuse the O'Sullivan bomb near full time, Warren Ryan subbing on defenders to protect the 6-pt lead.

Football goes for 80 mins and if you don't play well for the full 80, you are every chance of being beaten in a way you don't like.

jirskyr

Unread post by jirskyr » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 11:51 am

And the other thing I'll say is - if there is a better way of reffing, please do give us your thoughts. Refereeing is like democracy - imperfect but it's the best system we have.

Very many people, smart footy people, have tried to improve refereeing over very many seasons, yet here we are, fans still disappointed.

When there's a better system, I'm sure the NRL will consider adopting it. They adopted the AFL finals system after years of McIntyre, because it became clear as being a superior system.

It's just that almost nobody outside of the NRL governing body has too many ideas about fixing refereeing, just complaints.

Personally I think we need to keep thinking about introducing the captain's call. You get 1 or 2 challenges per half and if you blow them on wrong, too bad. Puts the emphasis on the captain to call out mistakes if they are genuine, or shut up. It works great in tennis because calls are more black and white, so the difficulty for league is: how you manage the incidents that are still unclear or debatable on video review?

Fade To Black
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 57 times

Unread post by Fade To Black » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 1:00 pm

Can live with a referee's incorrect decision if it is a line ball, split-second judgement call. However it is an embarrassment to our game when video refs take 6 or 7 looks at incidents and still somehow manage to get it wrong. That is not acceptable.

Russell
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 121 times

Unread post by Russell » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 3:42 pm

It has been made over complicated - It is a simple game with simple rules.

It is not difficult - the players, play to the rules. If you don't, you get penalised.

Obviously touchies have been taken out of forward pass / offside decisions. They are there, why not use them.

Fix the simple things first and that will overcome a multitude of problems. Simple things like markers being square (they do not touch/push the player playing the ball), The player playing the ball does not walk forward before playing the ball, nor does he, in essence take the marker out of play.

The thing is - when these things happen they need to be policed until the pea falls out of the refs whistle - they will soon get the message (Oh! if I do that, I'll 100% get penalised - Duh!).

Oh! you could go on for hours couldn't you.

jirskyr

Unread post by jirskyr » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 4:31 pm

Russell wrote:
Tue 12 Sep, 2017 3:42 pm
It has been made over complicated - It is a simple game with simple rules.

It is not difficult - the players, play to the rules. If you don't, you get penalised.

Obviously touchies have been taken out of forward pass / offside decisions. They are there, why not use them.

Fix the simple things first and that will overcome a multitude of problems. Simple things like markers being square (they do not touch/push the player playing the ball), The player playing the ball does not walk forward before playing the ball, nor does he, in essence take the marker out of play.

The thing is - when these things happen they need to be policed until the pea falls out of the refs whistle - they will soon get the message (Oh! if I do that, I'll 100% get penalised - Duh!).

Oh! you could go on for hours couldn't you.
But Russell it's not a simple game, why do people keep saying this?

Yes you need to move the ball to your try line and do it more than the opposition. But the rules about how that can be accomplished, well not so straight forward. Perhaps it's natural to a life-long follower of the game like yourself, but try explaining the rules in detail to a kid or someone who has only ever followed soccer or basketball! Try having someone who has barely watched a game sit through one of those finals last weekend and ask you to explain what is going on.

Rugby league is complicated and nuanced. And as soon as you set a strategy or rule, every team is hell-bent on bending, stretching or circumventing that strategy or rule, such is the nature of the game.

The current edition of the international laws (Feb 2017), with notes and NRL interpretations runs at 68 pages and 19 sections (https://playnrl.com/media/2363/arl-rule ... 171219.pdf.

So you can penalise the arse out of every match for every stupid rule that exists, large or small, and yes maybe the players would get the drift. But as soon as you relax your guard, they are going to start pushing the boundaries again, so you will be forced to police the game with an iron fist FOREVER.

You want a simple game, go play snakes and ladders, or tic-tac-toe.

wt00
Has liked: 230 times
Been liked: 70 times

Unread post by wt00 » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 4:31 pm

Moylan not in the Panthers squad
The star of the team is the team.

Return to “National Rugby League”