NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
tig_prmz
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 18 times

Re: Basket Cases

Unread post by tig_prmz » Sun 10 Sep, 2017 5:06 pm

steve-o wrote:
Sun 10 Sep, 2017 4:57 pm
1. Warriors - lost their last 9 games and finished in the bottom 4 with arguably the club's strongest ever roster. Their coach is one of the worst of all time.
2. Titans - the club sold their soul to buy a marquee player (Hayne), and now the club is in disarray. It's as much the club's fault as it is Hayne's.
3. Knights - won their third consecutive wooden spoon.
4. Bulldogs - lost two of their club favourites, and replaced them with an overrated prop and a 5/8 past his best. Fans and former club greats want the coach sacked and the board over thrown.
5. Tigers - Have missed the 8 for 6 consecutive seasons.
agree with all except bulldogs.. i see them as being basket cases next year but this is the first time thye've missed finals in years and have a decent supporter base, good crowds still etc.

people also forget that this is the first time eels made it to top 8 since 2009, got done for salary cap last year and had their 9s taken off them. they'd be in the top 6 imo.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

steve-o
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 27 times

Unread post by steve-o » Sun 10 Sep, 2017 5:13 pm

tig_prmz wrote:
Sun 10 Sep, 2017 5:06 pm
steve-o wrote:
1. Warriors - lost their last 9 games and finished in the bottom 4 with arguably the club's strongest ever roster. Their coach is one of the worst of all time.
2. Titans - the club sold their soul to buy a marquee player (Hayne), and now the club is in disarray. It's as much the club's fault as it is Hayne's.
4. Bulldogs - lost two of their club favourites, and replaced them with an overrated prop and a 5/8 past his best. Fans and former club greats want the coach sacked and the board over thrown.
agree with all except bulldogs.. i see them as being basket cases next year but this is the first time thye've missed finals in years and have a decent supporter base, good crowds still etc.

people also forget that this is the first time eels made it to top 8 since 2009, got done for salary cap last year and had their 9s taken off them. they'd be in the top 6 imo.
Yeah I can accept calling the dogs a basketcase is probably a bit harsh. Before this year they were in the finals for 5 consecutive years and the fact that they've had so much focus on their bad year shows that the Bulldogs club does not accept failure or even mediocrity. It's somewhat admirable how much they demand success.
Year of last finals appearance:
2017 - Storm, Roosters, Broncos, Eels, Sharks, Sea Eagles, Panthers, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2015 - Rabbitohs, Dragons
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers, Warriors

gallagher
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 47 times

Unread post by gallagher » Sun 10 Sep, 2017 5:19 pm

tig_prmz wrote:
Sun 10 Sep, 2017 5:06 pm
steve-o wrote:

You're spot on about Parra. When you consider their wealth, supporter base and junior numbers their results over decades is embarrassing.

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 138 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 11 Sep, 2017 9:12 am

If you're look at straight results over the last few years, us and Newcastle are probably the worst, I'd have included the Eels in that if they didn't make the finals this year as well.

This year the Warriors are my pick as a basket case purely because they have the Kiwi international spine and still never looked like making the 8. They have secured quality players over the years and brought on many talented players of their own and have routinely missed out. They are the epitome of underachievement, especially if NZ goes on to do well at the RL World Cup.
John Wayne would never use a surge protector!

Fuerza en la adversidad.

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 188 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 11 Sep, 2017 11:43 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Mon 11 Sep, 2017 9:12 am
If you're look at straight results over the last few years, us and Newcastle are probably the worst, I'd have included the Eels in that if they didn't make the finals this year as well.

This year the Warriors are my pick as a basket case purely because they have the Kiwi international spine and still never looked like making the 8. They have secured quality players over the years and brought on many talented players of their own and have routinely missed out. They are the epitome of underachievement, especially if NZ goes on to do well at the RL World Cup.
Their management are pretty inept as well hiring Kearney. By far the worst NRL coach of the last 5 years, maybe the last decade. I honestly don't know what it will take for them to realise if they had a marquee coach, like a Bennett or Bellamy, that is when they would become a force. Even Maguire. I reckon he would be a great fit for them. Souths had been a joke for 20+ years, he comes in and wins a premiership within 3 years. The Warriors need someone who can come in and instill a new culture, because the one they have now is rotten and has been ever since Cleary left. Kearney is not the answer and never will be.

Tigerdon
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 91 times

Unread post by Tigerdon » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 8:56 am

Shane Flanagan help turned the Sharks into a Basket Case in 2014 with Pedtides.
In 2017 they are strong club but cracks are starting to emerge. The culture he has built has flaws. He has upset a lot of people in Rugby League with his attack on refs and the current attacks on junior refs. Someone said on Fox that 500 refs quit a year. This maybe an exaggerated but The Media are turning against Flan. If the cracks start widening and Flans mentoring will draw more heat.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

colmcd
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 52 times

Unread post by colmcd » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 11:34 am

Tigerdon wrote:
Tue 12 Sep, 2017 8:56 am
Shane Flanagan help turned the Sharks into a Basket Case in 2014 with Pedtides.
In 2017 they are strong club but cracks are starting to emerge. The culture he has built has flaws. He has upset a lot of people in Rugby League with his attack on refs and the current attacks on junior refs. Someone said on Fox that 500 refs quit a year. This maybe an exaggerated but The Media are turning against Flan. If the cracks start widening and Flans mentoring will draw more heat.
Huh?

So he gets the club a premiership, keeps the club competitive with Leagues oldest roster, gets his club to Nr5 but looses game 1 against a side which they seem to struggle a lot against (no idea why but I think Sharks have a boogeyman against the Cowboys).

This from a coach who took wooden spooners to the finals in 3 years. Like WOW.

Now yes on Pedtides, Flanagan needs to take responsibility. However I do have Sympathy too him, he is the coach, the team leader and a medical expert under him says that these things are OK/not prohibited.

No Sharks fan and if anyone needs to be moved, it's them. But I can't knock him as a coach because he has a whine at the refs. Don't like his whinge, but can't deny he is a great coach.

Tigerdon
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 91 times

Unread post by Tigerdon » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 5:22 pm

From NRL.com

The NRL has issued the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks and Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles with breach notices for comments about referees following their Finals Series Week One matches.

A fine of $30,000 has been proposed for the Sharks over comments by Head Coach Shane Flanagan and other content published on the club's official website and sent to members.

The NRL has proposed a fine of $20,000 for the Sea Eagles over comments by its Head Coach Trent Barrett on Saturday night.

NRL Head of Football Brian Canavan said the penalties took into account the seriousness of the breaches, the fact that the comments went beyond acceptable parameters, and that they damaged the game during the Finals Series.

"In relation to the Sharks, there were separate breaches in the media conference following the game, in a separate interview with the coach which was sent to members and in an article published on the club's website," Mr Canavan said.

"That is why the proposed penalty is higher than we have generally issued in the past."

Mr Canavan said Manly coach Trent Barrett had already received a warning in relation to comments about match officials earlier this season.

"Our message is clear – no matter the significance of the match or the specific circumstances, coaches cannot cross the line.

"The integrity of our match officials and the game needs to be protected."

The Sharks and the Sea Eagles have five business days to respond to the breach notice.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

Fade To Black
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 57 times

Unread post by Fade To Black » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 6:18 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Mon 11 Sep, 2017 11:43 am
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Mon 11 Sep, 2017 9:12 am

Their management are pretty inept as well hiring Kearney. By far the worst NRL coach of the last 5 years, maybe the last decade. I honestly don't know what it will take for them to realise if they had a marquee coach, like a Bennett or Bellamy, that is when they would become a force. Even Maguire. I reckon he would be a great fit for them. Souths had been a joke for 20+ years, he comes in and wins a premiership within 3 years. The Warriors need someone who can come in and instill a new culture, because the one they have now is rotten and has been ever since Cleary left. Kearney is not the answer and never will be.
I wouldn't think the "its all good cuz-bro", funky-handshaking Warriors boys would handle Madge's fire and brimstone coaching style with his psychotic fingerpointing sermons. They would walk en masse IMO.
They definitely need an intense coach to shake things up in their club but can't see it happening in the near future.

Return to “National Rugby League”