Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 49 times

Re: Basket Cases

Unread post by old man tiger » Fri 08 Sep, 2017 6:55 am

Tigerdon wrote:
Thu 07 Sep, 2017 8:42 am
At the backend of 2017, which club do you rank as the biggest "Basket Case"?

Talking into account Front Office leaks,coach killing Players, dressing room lost. Media speculation. Boardroom splits, Disgruntled Fans, Walking Headlines and the like.

Here's my Top5

1.Titians
2. Dogs
3. Souths
4. Penrith
5. Saints/Raiders
That's a top 6. Just sayin'...

Also I think that's harsh on penrith. When you side with the coach it generally means the place can keep running. They've done well despite a couple of players allegedly offering to mow their teamates lawns.

Nelson
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 67 times

Unread post by Nelson » Fri 08 Sep, 2017 6:58 am

Spud Murphy wrote:
Thu 07 Sep, 2017 11:06 pm
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Thu 07 Sep, 2017 9:47 pm
I don't expect The Dogs to stay down.
Me neither, they finished the season well and showed what they are capable of. They have shed who they needed to shed and bought well for next year. I don't think they will be as 'down' as some on here are hoping they will be. Time will tell, but let's focus on our own backyard instead of death riding other teams.
All they've bought is Woods, Foran and Nu Brown. Foran has been bog average for the Warriors for the last 2/3 of the season (when he's actually played). Nu Brown is no better than Lichaa would have been if he'd been allowed to run the ball. Woods is a good signing but it's cost them a good workhorse prop and a good leader in Graham. They really haven't bought well at all...I've got a feeling they'll improve as well but it won't be on the back of a great recruitment drive.

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 137 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 08 Sep, 2017 8:49 am

Spud Murphy wrote:
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Me neither, they finished the season well and showed what they are capable of. They have shed who they needed to shed and bought well for next year. I don't think they will be as 'down' as some on here are hoping they will be. Time will tell, but let's focus on our own backyard instead of death riding other teams.
They've punted the catalyst for those results. Funny how Lichaa comes out and says my career is on the line so I'll play how I want, and they start winning games. Des will get another no frills hooker and they'll fall back to Desball (that's if he survives the off season.)

They'll probably have an ordinary year next year, but they'll bounce back after that, they're never out of the running for long.
John Wayne would never use a surge protector!

Fuerza en la adversidad.

Russell
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 118 times

Unread post by Russell » Fri 08 Sep, 2017 9:18 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 08 Sep, 2017 6:27 am
Spud Murphy wrote:
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Not sure what you are basing this off. Just because historically they are a strong side, it does not change they have an average, ageing roster, with a tired coach whose out of ideas and is turning into the new Tim Sheens. They have no established halfback or hooker, an average (im being kind) fullback, and no real strike out wide. Plus the two players who epitomise their club the most are now both gone. Where is the improvement coming from? Answering by saying the Dogs always bounce back does not wash, becsuse all the times in the past that they have, have they ever had a roster as average as this and a coach who is losing it?
Well, Woods and Forun will help. Lichaa will be kept at DH I would think after his last few performances - that should all help to keep them up a bit.

Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 48 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Fri 08 Sep, 2017 11:02 am

There was suggestions of my hero going to Dogs - no idea.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

jrtiger
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by jrtiger » Fri 08 Sep, 2017 1:58 pm

Rounds 1-5: Us
Rounds 6-20: Dogs
Rounds 21-26: Titans, Dogs, Warriors

Thankfully Ivan & Justin were able to turn the Queen Mary II of ships around and put us on the right track otherwise we'd probably take the cake.

Spud Murphy
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by Spud Murphy » Fri 08 Sep, 2017 9:45 pm

Russell wrote:
Fri 08 Sep, 2017 9:18 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Spud Murphy wrote:
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Not sure what you are basing this off. Just because historically they are a strong side, it does not change they have an average, ageing roster, with a tired coach whose out of ideas and is turning into the new Tim Sheens. They have no established halfback or hooker, an average (im being kind) fullback, and no real strike out wide. Plus the two players who epitomise their club the most are now both gone. Where is the improvement coming from? Answering by saying the Dogs always bounce back does not wash, becsuse all the times in the past that they have, have they ever had a roster as average as this and a coach who is losing it?
Well, Woods and Forun will help. Lichaa will be kept at DH I would think after his last few performances - that should all help to keep them up a bit.
They will, despite what people think. Woods is younger than Graham, has more go forward, plays more minutes and can still improve as a player. Foran will be great again once he is back playing in Sydney - the culture at the Warriors is terrible, it can ruin even the best of them - just ask Tui.

The Dogs finished very well this year, smashing a top 8 team and knocking a desperate St George out of finals contention. They can still play, no bones about it. Losing Graham and Reynolds isn't as bad as their supporters seem to think - they were getting stale and their replacements will be better.

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 185 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 08 Sep, 2017 9:47 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Fri 08 Sep, 2017 11:02 am
You would have had to buy 3 different club memberships in 3 years.

Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 48 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Fri 08 Sep, 2017 10:06 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 08 Sep, 2017 9:47 pm
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
I was part of Bulldogs chess team about 18 years ago when we won all Sydney. I have my pride.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Tigerdon
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 89 times

Unread post by Tigerdon » Fri 08 Sep, 2017 10:46 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Fri 08 Sep, 2017 10:06 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 08 Sep, 2017 9:47 pm
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
I was part of Bulldogs chess team about 18 years ago when we won all Sydney. I have my pride.
Do you still have the physique for chess ? Sometimes my posture slouches these days. Over long games I've been known to unintentionally let one rip, through bad posture
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

Russell
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 118 times

Unread post by Russell » Sat 09 Sep, 2017 10:18 am

Spud Murphy wrote:
Fri 08 Sep, 2017 9:45 pm
Russell wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Spud Murphy wrote:

They will, despite what people think. Woods is younger than Graham, has more go forward, plays more minutes and can still improve as a player. Foran will be great again once he is back playing in Sydney - the culture at the Warriors is terrible, it can ruin even the best of them - just ask Tui.

The Dogs finished very well this year, smashing a top 8 team and knocking a desperate St George out of finals contention. They can still play, no bones about it. Losing Graham and Reynolds isn't as bad as their supporters seem to think - they were getting stale and their replacements will be better.
Agree with what you say Spud, except I don't think it was the culture at the Warriors that ruined Tui - it was that no talent coach - Kearney.

Spud Murphy
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by Spud Murphy » Sat 09 Sep, 2017 5:27 pm

Russell wrote:
Sat 09 Sep, 2017 10:18 am
Spud Murphy wrote:
Fri 08 Sep, 2017 9:45 pm
Russell wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:

Agree with what you say Spud, except I don't think it was the culture at the Warriors that ruined Tui - it was that no talent coach - Kearney.
Yeah too true, but I reckon he is the one who has created the culture.

PrattenParkMagpie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by PrattenParkMagpie » Sat 09 Sep, 2017 7:39 pm

Russell wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Spud Murphy wrote:
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Lichaa is off contract and considering their cap position it is very doubtful he will be there.
Bring back Dr Pepper and Hazelnut Rolls

Don’t you ever let a chance go by, O Claws, don’t you ever let a chance go by....

Tigerdon
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 89 times

Unread post by Tigerdon » Sun 10 Sep, 2017 2:23 pm

Gordon Tallis has said he is on the Titians selection committee for a new coach. Without being asked he also said "the Titian are not a Basket case." I disagree .
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

wt00
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 70 times

Unread post by wt00 » Sun 10 Sep, 2017 2:44 pm

Tigerdon wrote:
Sun 10 Sep, 2017 2:23 pm
Gordon Tallis has said he is on the Titians selection committee for a new coach. Without being asked he also said "the Titian are not a Basket case." I disagree .
Indeed they are. Latest rumour from MMM is that Laurie Daley will be their new coach
The star of the team is the team.

Marshall_magic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Marshall_magic » Sun 10 Sep, 2017 2:50 pm

Tigerdon wrote:
Thu 07 Sep, 2017 10:32 am
swag tiger wrote:
Thu 07 Sep, 2017 10:20 am
hobbo wrote:
Thu 07 Sep, 2017 10:09 am
Us
Not any more after this year,

2014 to mid 2017 along with Newcastle we were right towards the top of the Basket Case list.
However, right now.
We are out of the Top5 Basket Cases (iMO).
Other teams have leap frogged us.
To be honest 2011 was the year the damage was done. Penrith approached Sheens to be head coach as he was off contract, and our board panicked and signed him up for 3 years on a lucrative deal. We also upset key players by signing Blair and letting go of "popular characters." In 2012 our board decided Sheens was not up to it but couldn't agree on a payout and had to keep him around and pay peanuts for a new head coach. Blair was also a flop and killed us on the field. From then on we have been a punchline and have struggled to get any momentum at all.

steve-o
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 27 times

Unread post by steve-o » Sun 10 Sep, 2017 4:57 pm

1. Warriors - lost their last 9 games and finished in the bottom 4 with arguably the club's strongest ever roster. Their coach is one of the worst of all time.
2. Titans - the club sold their soul to buy a marquee player (Hayne), and now the club is in disarray. It's as much the club's fault as it is Hayne's.
3. Knights - won their third consecutive wooden spoon.
4. Bulldogs - lost two of their club favourites, and replaced them with an overrated prop and a 5/8 past his best. Fans and former club greats want the coach sacked and the board over thrown.
5. Tigers - Have missed the 8 for 6 consecutive seasons.
Year of last finals appearance:
2017 - Storm, Roosters, Broncos, Eels, Sharks, Sea Eagles, Panthers, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2015 - Rabbitohs, Dragons
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers, Warriors

Tiger Steve
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 65 times

Unread post by Tiger Steve » Sun 10 Sep, 2017 5:03 pm

steve-o wrote:
Sun 10 Sep, 2017 4:57 pm
1. Warriors - lost their last 9 games and finished in the bottom 4 with arguably the club's strongest ever roster. Their coach is one of the worst of all time.
2. Titans - the club sold their soul to buy a marquee player (Hayne), and now the club is in disarray. It's as much the club's fault as it is Hayne's.
3. Knights - won their third consecutive wooden spoon.
4. Bulldogs - lost two of their club favourites, and replaced them with an overrated prop and a 5/8 past his best. Fans and former club greats want the coach sacked and the board over thrown.
5. Tigers - Have missed the 8 for 6 consecutive seasons.
Fair call Steve-o. Tigers must make the 8 next year.

Return to “National Rugby League”