Des Hasler to leave the Bulldogs

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
jirskyr
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 96 times

Des Hasler to leave the Bulldogs

Unread post by jirskyr » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 1:55 pm

I was recalling a thread (that I could not find today to reference) where some fans were complaining why Tigers always copped such bad press - "basketcase" and the like.

It was noted that as fans, we probably notice the Tigers negative press more than for other clubs, but also whilst your team is at the bottom, pundits are happy to put the boot in.

Daily Telecrap particularly seemed to enjoy their anti-Tigers agenda, even well into Cleary's tenure and stabilising of 2017-2018 strategy.

Fast-forward a few months and most commentators can see improvement in the Tigers - metres gained up, completions up, errors down, margin of losses cut. Basically more competitive across the park, not 80 mins most weeks, but better and with an optimistic tinge to the current young roster and signings into 2018.

Along with this: a real lack of slander from the papers, especially the DT. Buzz has temporarily run out of throwaway drunkard commentary, James Pooper either has nothing more to say or has lost his inside news source... there were a couple of articles on fan sites and one bit of paper rubbish from Paul Crawley. So basically if you improve and your future starts looking better, the media tends to back off.

Compare now with Bulldogs, under the microscope weekly if not daily, the ravens and vultures enjoying very much picking at the club's issues. Apart from the obvious Des Hasler stuff, question marks on Ray Dib's authority, Raylene's exit, the story about Klemmer wanting out, Keiran Foran commenting on potential of Hasler being removed, James Graham's impassioned plea for patience on Fox the other week.

BUT try as the Dogs might to mitigate the fall-out, it's too easy for muck institutions like DT. Epitomised today by the attempted association of yesterday's terror suspect with support for the Bulldogs.
http://commentaryboxsports.com/australi ... rence.html

Quite rightly, many commentators are up in arms and the Bulldogs are filthy, as are their supporters. But evidence that it's not just the Tigers, it's the struggling clubs that get picked to pieces. The only real way to clear up your media image, your coverage, is to get your home in order.

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 47 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 2:08 pm

Big difference is that Des has mates on the inside fighting his battle for him, no one at the Tigers had that.

You'd think Paul Kent was Des' father with the way he goes in to bat for him in the media.

Just on that terror suspect though, that was really poor, but unsurprising nonetheless, of the Tele to put that photo up. The Bulldogs are already associated with unfair stereotypes due to a very small section of their supporters. They had every right to be filthy about that photo of old mate in their jersey.
It's not cruelty if you inject enough amphetamines...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

supercoach
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 64 times

Unread post by supercoach » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 2:11 pm

It would seem that negative press rates a lot higher than positive press. It also seem that the media do not care how you achieve your success but are scathing on the clubs that don't achieve success. Although Newcastle seem to have had a dream run with the media and although they are at the bottom of the heap they still seem to attract positive press.

I have said before the Sydney NRL press has been at odds with the Tigers going right back to the Sheens days and Cleary gives me the impression he barely tolerates most of the media so I think the DT and other media outlets will be back sooner than latter with their poison pens

Chris
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 14 times

Unread post by Chris » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 2:26 pm

The heat is ALWAYS on us, just the temperature varies.

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 261 times

Unread post by Geo. » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 2:48 pm

I'm surprised with our only 5th Tackle option being the Bomb of late..they weren't linked to us..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Tiger Steve
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 38 times

Unread post by Tiger Steve » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 2:54 pm

I notice Rothfield is now singing the Eels praises. They are the future of the NRL it seems. Last year they were the embarrassment of the NRL. Things can change quickly.

Tigerdave
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 21 times

Unread post by Tigerdave » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 2:57 pm

yeah some great "journalism" there eh? surely where he shops, buys groceries etc is equally as important.

Maybe they can track down who he has voted for in the past and give that a crack?

Sco77y
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by Sco77y » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 3:08 pm

Wow I didn't see that. Don't really care about the Bulldogs and we've copped our fair share of negative press, but this is next level, disgusting.

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 47 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 3:28 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Tue 01 Aug, 2017 2:54 pm
I notice Rothfield is now singing the Eels praises. They are the future of the NRL it seems. Last year they were the embarrassment of the NRL. Things can change quickly.
The Eels chairman must have posted the Dan Murphy's vouchers on time the last five months.
It's not cruelty if you inject enough amphetamines...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

jirskyr
Has liked: 103 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 4:58 pm

supercoach wrote:
Tue 01 Aug, 2017 2:11 pm
Although Newcastle seem to have had a dream run with the media and although they are at the bottom of the heap they still seem to attract positive press.
I was thinking about Newcastle actually when I posted. It seems to me that they are struggling so badly for such a long period that people feel sorry for them and leave them alone.

I think it's also a Sydney rivalry thing, nobody guns for the Broncos, rarely do they go after Melbourne, Knights and Raiders seem to fair fairly well, it seems to be mostly Sydney teams attacked by Sydney papers. Exception for me is Warriors, people seem pretty happy to throw stones at Auckland.

Furious1
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by Furious1 » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 6:31 pm

Glad they are temporarily leaving us alone, but I get no pleasure of them attacking the Dogs either. There are massive, massive issues in this game that are detracting from it and sending it backwards, but instead of doing "real" journalism and chasing facts, they prefer to be social media trolls. The Telegraph hasn't had credibility for years.

Earl
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by Earl » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 6:53 pm

I thought it was funny because I hate the dogs but it's atrocious journalism. That paper is just a mess and I don't know why anyone reads it.

hugh1954
Been liked: 12 times

Unread post by hugh1954 » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 7:02 pm

I think the attention comes on us because we are a proud club made up of two well supported foundation clubs who have a support base that is very loyal and wants results. I go to my grave supporting this club as its been to long to start thinking about another club now so i get excited about a move up the table and being able to go to some live games and have an expectation of wins next year.
Popularity is proven by a team coming second last being on TV so much. Go you good things

ricksen
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by ricksen » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 11:33 pm

Buzz had another of his semi regular NRL in crisis stories today, with a pseudo-interview with Greenberg. Had to laugh when he listed 'negative media coverage' as one of the reasons the sport was apparently struggling, especially on the day they threw a doggies jersey on the front page for a terrorism story.

05TIGZ
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 39 times

Unread post by 05TIGZ » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 11:46 pm

Worst piece of journalism I have ever seen. If I'm the bulldogs im talking to my lawyers about sueing the DT for tarnishing their brand. I go to every tigers vs bulldogs game, and it's been years since I can remember there being any trouble. What a disgraceful newspaper

kh_canada
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by kh_canada » Wed 02 Aug, 2017 6:40 am

The first line and "Bulldog and a Bomb" is the only reference made to rugby league, the rest of the article doesn't mention another scrap. Their tactic to increase readers is only going to push the public further away.

TrueTiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 43 times

Unread post by TrueTiger » Wed 02 Aug, 2017 7:25 pm

I have no time whatsoever for the Bulldogs or their supporters,they have had enough problems over the years with unruly behaviour and low acts by their fans eg spitting on opposition fans when they get beaten...it happened to me ...however to associate a terrorist with the Dogs is a pretty low act of journalism no matter how you look at it,I know a lot of their supporters are of middle eastern backgrounds but they aren't all tarred with the one brush..
The only way the Dogs will improve their supporter base behaviour is to start banning them from games and start cleaning up their act...
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

Tiger Steve
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 38 times

Unread post by Tiger Steve » Wed 02 Aug, 2017 9:23 pm

I remember my kids in tears after a group of Bulldogs supporters harassed us at ANZ after a Bulldogs win. Why? We were wearing a Tigers jerseys. My kids are much older now but I don't go to Bulldogs games because of this. Don't need that type of hate and aggression on my weekend!

Return to “National Rugby League”