Salary Cap

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
User avatar
Harvey
Member
Member
Posts: 3370
Joined: Mon 22 Jun, 2015 10:01 pm
Location: Leumeah

Re: Salary Cap

Post by Harvey » Sat 21 Oct, 2017 10:27 am

everett8 wrote:
Fri 20 Oct, 2017 7:34 pm
If there really is a salary cap and all clubs abide by it then why can easts afford Teddy and Cronk along with their other superstars.
I heard Bryan Fletcher explaining it on the grill team the other morning. They have lost a load of players that were taking up room under the cap. Kenny-Dowall, Guerra, Evans, Watson, Copley, RTS, SBW, Dally Messenger...


Pawsandclaws
Member
Member
Posts: 2791
Joined: Sat 20 Jun, 2015 5:53 pm

Post by Pawsandclaws » Sat 21 Oct, 2017 10:35 am

Harvey wrote:
Sat 21 Oct, 2017 10:27 am
everett8 wrote:
Fri 20 Oct, 2017 7:34 pm
If there really is a salary cap and all clubs abide by it then why can easts afford Teddy and Cronk along with their other superstars.
I heard Bryan Fletcher explaining it on the grill team the other morning. They have lost a load of players that were taking up room under the cap. Kenny-Dowall, Guerra, Evans, Watson, Copley, RTS, SBW, Dally Messenger...
We lost Woods, Moses and Tedesco, all players brought through the juniors and developed by our club (all on very good contracts). Publicly the NRL has not offered a comment about changes to the salary cap to compensate clubs, especially those who produce local juniors, when poached by richer clubs. I bet Fletcher didn't want to touch this issue especially since Radcliffe is the first local junior his club has brought through to NRL since 2012?

User avatar
WestsBenTigers
Member
Member
Posts: 1699
Joined: Wed 05 Oct, 2016 11:14 am

Post by WestsBenTigers » Sat 21 Oct, 2017 10:47 am

Harvey wrote:
Sat 21 Oct, 2017 10:27 am
everett8 wrote:
Fri 20 Oct, 2017 7:34 pm
If there really is a salary cap and all clubs abide by it then why can easts afford Teddy and Cronk along with their other superstars.
I heard Bryan Fletcher explaining it on the grill team the other morning. They have lost a load of players that were taking up room under the cap. Kenny-Dowall, Guerra, Evans, Watson, Copley, RTS, SBW, Dally Messenger...
But they have also upgraded and re-signed a bunch of their players for more money then their previous contracts

Surely Geurra, Evans, SKD, Knight, Carter, Watson, Copely and Hastings combines aren't worth more than the 2 million dollar per season Cronk and Tedesco.

Half of those players wouldn't been on more than a base contract.

Throw in upgrades to Mitchell, Butcher, Collins, Manu and Nikorima.

The NRL can't possibly say it is an even playing field if they manage to get Cronk.
Cheats.jpeg
Cheats
Cheats.jpeg (81.23 KiB) Viewed 288 times

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 28337
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Sat 21 Oct, 2017 1:01 pm

WestsBenTigers wrote:
Sat 21 Oct, 2017 10:47 am
Harvey wrote:
Sat 21 Oct, 2017 10:27 am
everett8 wrote:
Fri 20 Oct, 2017 7:34 pm
If there really is a salary cap and all clubs abide by it then why can easts afford Teddy and Cronk along with their other superstars.
I heard Bryan Fletcher explaining it on the grill team the other morning. They have lost a load of players that were taking up room under the cap. Kenny-Dowall, Guerra, Evans, Watson, Copley, RTS, SBW, Dally Messenger...
But they have also upgraded and re-signed a bunch of their players for more money then their previous contracts

Surely Geurra, Evans, SKD, Knight, Carter, Watson, Copely and Hastings combines aren't worth more than the 2 million dollar per season Cronk and Tedesco.

Half of those players wouldn't been on more than a base contract.

Throw in upgrades to Mitchell, Butcher, Collins, Manu and Nikorima.

The NRL can't possibly say it is an even playing field if they manage to get Cronk.

Cheats.jpeg
How much more did they pay them..?
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 2116
Joined: Mon 29 Aug, 2016 8:52 am

Post by TCL » Fri 10 Nov, 2017 8:37 am

Just read an article that the Bulldogs are cap compliant and the NRL have signed off on Woods and Foran. I don't recall reading of them letting anybody go other than Graham and Reynolds?

Am I missing something or is this just another scar on the face of the NRL salary cap?


User avatar
TigerTiger
Member
Member
Posts: 431
Joined: Tue 13 Jun, 2017 4:56 pm

Post by TigerTiger » Fri 10 Nov, 2017 11:22 am

Tiger Come Lately wrote:
Fri 10 Nov, 2017 8:37 am
Just read an article that the Bulldogs are cap compliant and the NRL have signed off on Woods and Foran. I don't recall reading of them letting anybody go other than Graham and Reynolds?

Am I missing something or is this just another scar on the face of the NRL salary cap?
No, you missed nothing. Greenburg before NRL boss was Dogs boss, and he was sweeping stuff under the carpet back then. Remember Ben Barba and his domestic violence allegations, that happened a year before it came out, Greenburg had done a great job in trying to cover that up.

Dogs just repositioned the chairs around the table, nothing to see here. Like the Roosters, Sharks, Broncos, Cows, Storm.

Seriously, it's an absolute miracle if we can compete.
A one eyed supporter, mostly :crazy, always :sign:

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 2116
Joined: Mon 29 Aug, 2016 8:52 am

Post by TCL » Fri 10 Nov, 2017 11:51 am

TigerTiger wrote:
Fri 10 Nov, 2017 11:22 am
Tiger Come Lately wrote:
Fri 10 Nov, 2017 8:37 am
Just read an article that the Bulldogs are cap compliant and the NRL have signed off on Woods and Foran. I don't recall reading of them letting anybody go other than Graham and Reynolds?

Am I missing something or is this just another scar on the face of the NRL salary cap?
No, you missed nothing. Greenburg before NRL boss was Dogs boss, and he was sweeping stuff under the carpet back then. Remember Ben Barba and his domestic violence allegations, that happened a year before it came out, Greenburg had done a great job in trying to cover that up.

Dogs just repositioned the chairs around the table, nothing to see here. Like the Roosters, Sharks, Broncos, Cows, Storm.

Seriously, it's an absolute miracle if we can compete.
I have my doubts on Greenberg, but it makes you wonder what type of legacy he is going to leave on the NRL. He won't care his bank balance continues to grow but it is a concern.

Greenberg's predesessor Smith wasn't popular and may not have known player names but he certainly wasn't pandering to the big clubs.

colmcd
Member
Member
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed 04 Jan, 2017 11:38 pm

Post by colmcd » Fri 10 Nov, 2017 12:31 pm

everett8 wrote:
Fri 20 Oct, 2017 7:34 pm
If there really is a salary cap and all clubs abide by it then why can easts afford Teddy and Cronk along with their other superstars.
Why? Because it's broken! TPA's allow the roosters to pay Teddy less then our offer and get our fullback.
Fifita was almost going to be paid on TPA's alone at the Dogs (he would have made them a top 4 team for sure).

I can't think of too many solutions. A single player Marquee allowance may be one way, at least the 16 best players will be spread among the 16 teams. Factoring TPA's into the cap is a great idea (i.e. they count as a 75% cap excess).

The NRL needs to come up with a solution, and we need to scream at the cheats till they sort themselves out.

Post Reply