NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
WestsBenTigers
Has liked: 269 times
Been liked: 73 times

Re: Salary Cap

Unread post by WestsBenTigers » Sun 15 Oct, 2017 8:48 am

tigerbenji wrote:
Sun 15 Oct, 2017 7:57 am
I think a points system is the way to go, not working out points for each player but so many if you play First grade, so many if you play SOO & so many if you play for your Country. You get a discount for your Juniors, Once your points are reached thats it.
But then it disadvantags sides like Melbourne who make superstars out of nothing. Yhey hardly ever buy superstars but they create their own out of nothing players i.e. Munster, Kaufusi, Addo-Carr, Vunivalu, Cronk, Smith, Slater etc. In 10 years you could add Hughes, jacks, Croft, C Scott and B Smith to that list.

So if Melbourne were paying 5 points for Vunivalu then he became a 15 point player because he was an intrnational, tha† means because they created their own talent - They have 10 less points to spend in their cap.

Melbourne is just one example of many clubs who create superstars and this system would be against developing your own talent.

Tiger Come Lately
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 40 times

Unread post by Tiger Come Lately » Sun 15 Oct, 2017 9:28 am

Cheaters will cheat. NRL should publish player wages including registered TPA's.

That way everybody knows who is getting how much and It will be obvious how much clubs are spending and I also think they will start to police each other.

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 225 times
Been liked: 343 times

Unread post by Geo. » Sun 15 Oct, 2017 9:59 am

supercoach wrote:
Sun 15 Oct, 2017 7:28 am
If a player is contacted directly by a company to do TV commercial or become a company ambassador for a product that is not connected with the club or NRL, is that classes a TPA ??

I would have thought any restrictions on the above would be classed as a restraint of trade. Also it would be so easy to rort
Correct..that is the exact intention of TPA's to allow players to earn from their intellectual property..you can not restrict that..the 1st one was Billy Slater and Queensland Banana's...his latest Gatorade..Slater wears no Storm gear ...it's just Billy Slater..There are plenty out there...Teddy with Nike...Smith for VB

As I said earlier they are between Player and 3rd Party not the Club they play for nor are the supposed to be arranged or guaranteed by the players Club...this is where many believe the waters are muddied ...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

supercoach
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 74 times

Unread post by supercoach » Sun 15 Oct, 2017 11:13 am

Geo. wrote:
Sun 15 Oct, 2017 9:59 am
supercoach wrote:
If a player is contacted directly by a company to do TV commercial or become a company ambassador for a product that is not connected with the club or NRL, is that classes a TPA ??

I would have thought any restrictions on the above would be classed as a restraint of trade. Also it would be so easy to rort
Correct..that is the exact intention of TPA's to allow players to earn from their intellectual property..you can not restrict that..the 1st one was Billy Slater and Queensland Banana's...his latest Gatorade..Slater wears no Storm gear ...it's just Billy Slater..There are plenty out there...Teddy with Nike...Smith for VB

As I said earlier they are between Player and 3rd Party not the Club they play for nor are the supposed to be arranged or guaranteed by the players Club...this is where many believe the waters are muddied ...

So Geo, do these deals come under the TPA umbrella?? Because if clubs have a limit on the amount of salaries they can have tied up in TPA's, than it would mean a player might not be able to accept a deal that he had been offered to him, and than we get back to restraint of trade.

On the other hand if they don't come under the TPA umbrella than the system is exposed to crooked deals and I guess most if not all clubs would be exploiting it in some way or another....of course some more than others

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 52 times

Unread post by old man tiger » Sun 15 Oct, 2017 11:36 am

I work in an organisation where position descriptions (in some cases) and the enterprise agreement are both publicly available, meaning you can work out the salary of many staff.

Has never bothered me, and I don't know why it is so off limits in Aus when we can all look up what other sportspeople around the world are worth. We have a strong culture around privacy which is good, but there would be ways to give fans a non-specific idea. For example, you could have salary tiers, and each club would be allowed x number of players from each tier.

Tier 1 could be uncapped, for 2 or 3 marquee players, tier 2 up to 800k or whatever and so on.... a system like this would reward strong clubs and still have more transparency and a more level playing field than if it was a free for all.

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 225 times
Been liked: 343 times

Unread post by Geo. » Sun 15 Oct, 2017 12:31 pm

supercoach wrote:
Sun 15 Oct, 2017 11:13 am
Geo. wrote:
Sun 15 Oct, 2017 9:59 am
supercoach wrote:

So Geo, do these deals come under the TPA umbrella?? Because if clubs have a limit on the amount of salaries they can have tied up in TPA's, than it would mean a player might not be able to accept a deal that he had been offered to him, and than we get back to restraint of trade.

On the other hand if they don't come under the TPA umbrella than the system is exposed to crooked deals and I guess most if not all clubs would be exploiting it in some way or another....of course some more than others

There are 2 types of TPA's that are exempt from the Cap..the 1st is Club affiliated TPA's where a Club sponsor can boost a player/s earnings ..this is currently Capped at 600K outside the Cap and can be payed to 1 player or a number of players which also can be guaranteed by the Club..

The second which I think you are asking about is Non-Club Affiliated TPA's..like Slater and Gatorade I mentioned...they have no limit or restrictions apart from they are not to be arranged or guaranteed by the Club the player plays for.... or used as an inducement for the player to play for a certain Club...they are meant to allow the Player to supplement their earnings based on their own intellectual property or brand...For example if Slater left the Storm and played for the Broncos his deal with Gatorade would travel with him if they wanted to continue using his profile...regardless of who he plays for..

It was mentioned that Moylan has Club sponsored 3rd Party agreements as part of his salary at the Panthers..if he were to leave then the 3rd Party would not be obligated to continue the agreement for him to play at another Club...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

supercoach

Unread post by supercoach » Sun 15 Oct, 2017 1:20 pm

Thanks Geo, that is the way I thought it worked. So basically clubs that have good contacts in the big end of town have a massive advantage and of course most one team towns. Once again it highlights how uneven the current system i

Munk
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by Munk » Sun 15 Oct, 2017 11:22 pm

Sink or swim, life isnt fair. Time to grow up and compete on the terms other clubs have been operating at for decades or continue to fade into obscurity.

Tiger Come Lately
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 40 times

Unread post by Tiger Come Lately » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 7:24 am

Munk wrote:
Sun 15 Oct, 2017 11:22 pm
Sink or swim, life isnt fair. Time to grow up and compete on the terms other clubs have been operating at for decades or continue to fade into obscurity.
Yep what the NRL needs is guns! That will whip them into shape!

colmcd
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 51 times

Unread post by colmcd » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 5:00 pm

supercoach wrote:
Sun 15 Oct, 2017 1:20 pm
Thanks Geo, that is the way I thought it worked. So basically clubs that have good contacts in the big end of town have a massive advantage and of course most one team towns. Once again it highlights how uneven the current system i
So why do the Roosters keep getting so much money?
Cocanne this, Kings cross that, bad player this....

Ok we have had our embarrassments, but were better then the Roosters.

kevinmcguiness
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by kevinmcguiness » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 5:00 pm

something fishy about this

Lidcombe Magpie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by Lidcombe Magpie » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 7:07 pm

colmcd wrote:
Mon 16 Oct, 2017 5:00 pm
supercoach wrote:

Geez thats a tough call

Craig Field - Manslaughter
John Hoppoata - the proctologist and thug
Tim Simona - Charity thief
Anthony Laffranchi - Charged with rape but charges dropped
Todd Payton - Desecration of a War Memorial
Benny Elias - Dodgy business dealings
Mark O'Neil - sexual harassment in the work place

Probably many more - I know some of these were not committed when playing for the WT's but they are still linked to the club

Every Team has its bad eggs

WestsBenTigers
Has liked: 269 times
Been liked: 73 times

Unread post by WestsBenTigers » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 8:24 pm

Lidcombe Magpie wrote:
Mon 16 Oct, 2017 7:07 pm
colmcd wrote:
supercoach wrote:

Geez thats a tough call

Probably many more - I know some of these were not committed when playing for the WT's but they are still linked to the club

Kyle Lovett - Cocaine incident

Russell
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 120 times

Unread post by Russell » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 8:35 am

Lidcombe Magpie wrote:
colmcd wrote:
supercoach wrote:

Geez thats a tough call

Guilty anyway - is that right?

colmcd
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 51 times

Unread post by colmcd » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 5:03 pm

WestsBenTigers wrote:
Mon 16 Oct, 2017 8:24 pm
Lidcombe Magpie wrote:
colmcd wrote:
supercoach wrote:

Geez thats a tough call

Kyle Lovett - Cocaine incident
matthew lodge -- kidnapping at gunpoint..

OK sure we have our demons. But why are the Roosters getting so much corporate sponsorship then?
I think we actually do look cleaner, we have a bigger fanbase and following.
Sure they have Pierce and a few other big names, but we had Farah, Marshall and surely we could pip them to the big sponsor dollars. I mean sponsor St George, Souths, Eels they have big fanbases and dollars, but the Roosters? Which audience does your business want to attract, Western Sydney or Milsons point?

Lidcombe Magpie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by Lidcombe Magpie » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 5:48 pm

Russell wrote:
Tue 17 Oct, 2017 8:35 am
Lidcombe Magpie wrote:
colmcd wrote:
supercoach wrote:

Geez thats a tough call

Guilty anyway - is that right?
I never said he was guilty. Just stating the facts.

Why, do you have problems with the facts?

Tiger Watto
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by Tiger Watto » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 7:45 pm

colmcd wrote:
Tue 17 Oct, 2017 5:03 pm
matthew lodge -- kidnapping at gunpoint..

OK sure we have our demons. But why are the Roosters getting so much corporate sponsorship then?
I think we actually do look cleaner, we have a bigger fanbase and following.
Sure they have Pierce and a few other big names, but we had Farah, Marshall and surely we could pip them to the big sponsor dollars. I mean sponsor St George, Souths, Eels they have big fanbases and dollars, but the Roosters? Which audience does your business want to attract, Western Sydney or Milsons point?
The majority of corporate sponsorship isnt always about their business attracting new customers. Its more an avenue to entertain and collaborate with like minded business associates. The Roosters are well positioned to the big end of town, offer good corporate facilities and the ability to meet with some of Australia's smartest business minds [Gyngell; Bouris etc].

Crowd Numbers are the least of their concerns, but ironically, after this years 2 finals matches, they were the highest crowd average from the Sydney based franchises.
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

supercoach

Unread post by supercoach » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 9:33 pm

The Chooks for all their so called salary cap rorting have not a lot of silver wear to show for it over the past 20 odd years. If I was in charge I would like to see a better return for all the money spent

Return to “National Rugby League”