NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
Balmainbred
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 4 times

Salary Cap

Unread post by Balmainbred » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 3:49 pm

If there are so many,third party deals going on would it be easier to get rid of them so every team is on the same page ban them if your caught out you loose all points for that season ,not just for major cap breaches

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 256 times

Unread post by Geo. » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 6:18 pm

Non - Affiliated Third Party agreements were introduced so players were not restricted in what they could earn from their own intellectual property...you can not stop a Billy Slater earning money from Gatorade based on HIS profile for example..they follow the player not the Club he plays for..

There are restrictions in place for Club Affiliated TPA's

The problem lies where many believe the richer Clubs arrange these Non-Affiliated TPA's when they are meant to be only between a player and the third party..

All TPA's must be approved by the NRL...do Clubs cheat ..probably.. but without some sought of whistle blower which has happened with every major breach in the past Clubs will continue to push the envelope..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 47 times

Unread post by formerguest » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 10:19 pm

Balmainbred wrote:
Sun 08 Oct, 2017 3:49 pm
If there are so many,third party deals going on would it be easier to get rid of them so every team is on the same page ban them if your caught out you loose all points for that season ,not just for major cap breaches
It is an unreasonable restraint of trade to ban them.

Russell
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 104 times

Unread post by Russell » Mon 09 Oct, 2017 8:29 am

formerguest wrote:
Sun 08 Oct, 2017 10:19 pm
Balmainbred wrote:
That is true - so there must be a system put in place that controls them - or it is open slather as usual.

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 91 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 09 Oct, 2017 8:48 am

Russell wrote:
Mon 09 Oct, 2017 8:29 am
formerguest wrote:
Balmainbred wrote:
That is true - so there must be a system put in place that controls them - or it is open slather as usual.
It's open slather. If there were controls plenty of clubs would be busted for initiating the deals. I have no doubt that the clubs that manage to secure players with significant external TPA's have some sort of dealings in them.
It's not cruelty if you inject enough amphetamines...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

Spartan117
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by Spartan117 » Mon 09 Oct, 2017 9:48 am

Yeah but its a downright rort for some clubs.

I.e. We will arrange for yo to get paid from the outside as that its not under the Cap

Cronk to Roosters in 2018. This is the mechanism used to cheat

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 47 times

Unread post by formerguest » Mon 09 Oct, 2017 11:02 am

Russell wrote:
formerguest wrote:
Balmainbred wrote:
A central register for all non club affiliated TPA's is the only solution, but no chance in hell of the players association agreeing to it, particularly as most, if not all of it's leadership could be benefiting from these alleged insider deals.

Self interest at all levels is the problem, just as society in general, with most more worried about having a bigger boat or similar, whilst not really caring about their much lower paid teammates or struggling neighbours.

colmcd
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 40 times

Unread post by colmcd » Mon 09 Oct, 2017 3:26 pm

Can someone explain the Hayne TPA?

As I understand it webjet or a similar company would kick in $500,000 for Hayne to feature in their adds, but only if he signed with the Gold Coast Titans?

Look I get it. Were going to get superstars. Superstars will get corporate sponsorships and that's natural, in fact we probably want to encourage this. Like sponsorship to the NRL, get and keep the big names i.e. Israel Folau, Ingles, your Slater/Smith, etc.

We just need to balance our teams out somehow. My thoughts are a Marquee player allowance. Have one guy go to the moon, then if they want that million dollar Adidas sponsorship, the titans or whoever can pick them up. It should mix the teams up a bit as some will put it on Fullbacks while others will put it on Forwards.

Tiger Watto
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 45 times

Unread post by Tiger Watto » Mon 09 Oct, 2017 3:54 pm

$ = Corruption

Until they reformat the Salary Cap so it is not based on $'s, clubs will rort the cap.
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Onthebus
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Onthebus » Mon 09 Oct, 2017 11:49 pm

Roosters are the biggest joke in rugby league when it comes to TPAs and the Salary Cap

These are the grubs who started the NRL/Superleague war back in the day, trying to poach 3 of Canberras players which ended up starting a breakaway comp

If the Rorters get Cronk that will just about do me, it will be a smack in the face to every other club who does the right thing

tigerap
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 39 times

Unread post by tigerap » Tue 10 Oct, 2017 8:21 am

Onthebus wrote:
Mon 09 Oct, 2017 11:49 pm
Roosters are the biggest joke in rugby league when it comes to TPAs and the Salary Cap

These are the grubs who started the NRL/Superleague war back in the day, trying to poach 3 of Canberras players which ended up starting a breakaway comp

If the Rorters get Cronk that will just about do me, it will be a smack in the face to every other club who does the right thing
And that is the problem, the only clubs that do the right thing are those clubs that cannot afford or be in a position to cheat the TPA system....i.e. WT!

jirskyr
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 95 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Tue 10 Oct, 2017 9:16 am

formerguest wrote:
Mon 09 Oct, 2017 11:02 am
Russell wrote:
formerguest wrote:
Balmainbred wrote:
A central register for all non club affiliated TPA's is the only solution, but no chance in hell of the players association agreeing to it, particularly as most, if not all of it's leadership could be benefiting from these alleged insider deals.
I believe all legit TPAs must be registered w the NRL? NRL clubs are not allowed guarantee TPAs so the hard part is proving they aren't being guaranteed by the club.

tigeress

Unread post by tigeress » Tue 10 Oct, 2017 6:20 pm

Balmainbred wrote:
As far as I'm concerned that would be the best thing to put every club on a level playing field, but I can't see that happening :crazy :deadhorse:

Tigerdon
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 38 times

Unread post by Tigerdon » Tue 10 Oct, 2017 7:25 pm

Meriton should be paying or making ever supplier of theirs to sponsor a Tiger and I'm not talking at the Zoo. Actually my daughter works there ... so the Zoo as well
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

bathursttiger
Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 61 times

Unread post by bathursttiger » Tue 10 Oct, 2017 8:02 pm

Tiger Watto wrote:
Mon 09 Oct, 2017 3:54 pm
$ = Corruption

Until they reformat the Salary Cap so it is not based on $'s, clubs will rort the cap.
I've been advocating this for years with my friends.
A similar system to Supercoach, where players are rated on their level and all teams have the same skill/experience level.
Eg: Australian player worth 50 points
SOS player worth x points
200 NRL game player worth x points etc.

Chicken Faced Killa
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by Chicken Faced Killa » Tue 10 Oct, 2017 8:31 pm

bathursttiger wrote:
Tue 10 Oct, 2017 8:02 pm
Tiger Watto wrote:
$ = Corruption

A similar system to Supercoach, where players are rated on their level and all teams have the same skill/experience level.
The problem with this system is what happens when you sign players for 3 and 4 years and they make SOS or the Australian team so you are over the cap through developing players.

How long is a player worth the SOS or Australian team points? If a player plays one game are they worth those points for their entire careers.

No matter what system you use there are going to be problems.

bathursttiger
Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 61 times

Unread post by bathursttiger » Tue 10 Oct, 2017 9:55 pm

Chicken Faced Killa wrote:
Tue 10 Oct, 2017 8:31 pm
bathursttiger wrote:
Tiger Watto wrote:
$ = Corruption

The problem with this system is what happens when you sign players for 3 and 4 years and they make SOS or the Australian team so you are over the cap through developing players.

How long is a player worth the SOS or Australian team points? If a player plays one game are they worth those points for their entire careers.

Anything has to be better then the current system where some clubs can manipulate the salary cap with TPA's.
Sign a player like SBW for $400k and give him $500k TPA.
Is that fair?
Don't think so, when the idea behind the salary cap was to create a level playing field.

Chicken Faced Killa
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by Chicken Faced Killa » Tue 10 Oct, 2017 10:49 pm

bathursttiger wrote:
Tue 10 Oct, 2017 9:55 pm
Chicken Faced Killa wrote:
Tue 10 Oct, 2017 8:31 pm
bathursttiger wrote:
Tiger Watto wrote:
$ = Corruption

Anything has to be better then the current system where some clubs can manipulate the salary cap with TPA's.
Sign a player like SBW for $400k and give him $500k TPA.
Is that fair?
Don't think so, when the idea behind the salary cap was to create a level playing field.
I agree the current system favours some clubs over others and is not ideal. TPA should have to go through the NRL and be negotiated with the NRL.

Return to “National Rugby League”