Why Roosters?

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
innsaneink

Re: Why Roosters?

Post by innsaneink » Tue 31 Oct, 2017 8:04 pm

Geo. wrote:
Tue 31 Oct, 2017 5:50 pm
Buzz is funny... :lol:
miserable old acho wiping his chin on 360 last night, dribbling on national TV... Anyone else see it?

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Wed 01 Nov, 2017 8:12 am

As frustrating as it is coming to terms with the strength of their roster, if what they are doing is accepted by the NRL as meeting the constraints of the salary cap, then instead of bleating about it we really need to start moving toward adopting a similar structure.
I suspect the Sharks are heading that way and if we want to attract quality players and compete for signatures against other Sydney teams, we have to look at whatever it takes to recruit and retain a strong roster. Or we can continue to watch from the sidelines when clubs compete for the best players and continue to convince ourselves that they are not worth it anyway.

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Wed 01 Nov, 2017 9:13 am

Telltails wrote:
Wed 01 Nov, 2017 8:12 am
As frustrating as it is coming to terms with the strength of their roster, if what they are doing is accepted by the NRL as meeting the constraints of the salary cap, then instead of bleating about it we really need to start moving toward adopting a similar structure.
I suspect the Sharks are heading that way and if we want to attract quality players and compete for signatures against other Sydney teams, we have to look at whatever it takes to recruit and retain a strong roster. Or we can continue to watch from the sidelines when clubs compete for the best players and continue to convince ourselves that they are not worth it anyway.
I'm not so sure it's our TPAs that are a major issue. Maybe to a extent, but if Harry is able to throw in TPAs, then he's actually a richer benefactor than Polities. Plus, we actually have had a very good media presence over the years, meaning that players will get quality exposure for life after footy.

I think our key issue for players signing is our facilities and competitiveness. Most would probably laugh when they look at the gym at Concord. Everyone loves a shiny office, especially if you are a professional athlete and want to be the best you can be. It's how Google attracts the best Gen Y/Z that are out there.

To me, management has the correct focus to get us where we need to be. COE and get a more balanced squad on the field. I don't believe we are going to currently win a premiership with our squad, but it's certainly solid across the park. We'll compete.

If the COE gets approved, coupled with Ivan re-building the team, it could be a massive turning point for our club to attract the marque players for a premiership tilt in 2020/21.

colmcd

Post by colmcd » Sat 04 Nov, 2017 10:30 am

hammertime wrote:
Wed 01 Nov, 2017 9:13 am
Telltails wrote:
Wed 01 Nov, 2017 8:12 am
I'm not so sure it's our TPAs that are a major issue. Maybe to a extent, but if Harry is able to throw in TPAs, then he's actually a richer benefactor than Polities. Plus, we actually have had a very good media presence over the years, meaning that players will get quality exposure for life after footy.

I think our key issue for players signing is our facilities and competitiveness. Most would probably laugh when they look at the gym at Concord. Everyone loves a shiny office, especially if you are a professional athlete and want to be the best you can be. It's how Google attracts the best Gen Y/Z that are out there.

To me, management has the correct focus to get us where we need to be. COE and get a more balanced squad on the field. I don't believe we are going to currently win a premiership with our squad, but it's certainly solid across the park. We'll compete.

If the COE gets approved, coupled with Ivan re-building the team, it could be a massive turning point for our club to attract the marque players for a premiership tilt in 2020/21.
Well said.

The only thing I would add is that we need the TPA groundwork to be laid now. COE is great but we need to be able to offer better sponsorship deals. Money talks. That is the only answer I can think of for the Chooks getting so many good names.