NRL Hidden Agenda

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
Tiger Steve

NRL Hidden Agenda

Post by Tiger Steve » Wed 25 Oct, 2017 6:47 am

So I’m starting a contentious post about the 2018 draw. I think we can overcome this draw but I do wonder why and how it came about. Is it at all feasible to think that the NRL governing body are thinking that continued failure will force us to relocate? Is our ridiculous draw more than random bad luck? Is it more than coincidence that the teams that continually get the bounce of the ball have been given a huge advantage? Thoughts?
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by TCL » Wed 25 Oct, 2017 7:07 am

I would like to think it's the luck of the draw but, while Todd Greenberg is the head of the NRL I will have my doubts.

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Wed 25 Oct, 2017 7:44 am

We had one of the better draws this year, didn't seem to do us much good.

I actually think the challenge of the opening rounds is going to be the best thing that has happened to us. It will help drive the guys in the pre-season and get us up to a higher standard quicker with quality opposition.

I'm glad we've got blokes like Reynolds who are going to be driven by it, rather than taking a negative view. I just hope his enthusiasm spreads to the rest of the guys.

sheer64
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by sheer64 » Wed 25 Oct, 2017 7:50 am

For a team that has not made the finals since 2011 we get an awful lot of prime time TV coverage. That has always confused me more. Are we being set up for a relocation?
Today we saw a true champion in Winx, and a true bludger in Cleary!

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Wed 25 Oct, 2017 8:10 am

sheer64 wrote:
Wed 25 Oct, 2017 7:50 am
For a team that has not made the finals since 2011 we get an awful lot of prime time TV coverage. That has always confused me more. Are we being set up for a relocation?
We have a large supporter base and except for the "Taylor ball period"play an attacking game which most neutrals like to watch even if we have been poor recently.That is why we are attractive to fta as it means reasonable ratings.

criwdfluffer

Post by criwdfluffer » Wed 25 Oct, 2017 8:15 am

We have a large tv audience,simple as that.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 25 Oct, 2017 8:50 am

Don't they have an algorithm that determines the draw? We've have reasonable draws in the past so it logically follows that you'll pick up a horrid one every now and then.
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Wed 25 Oct, 2017 9:09 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Wed 25 Oct, 2017 8:50 am
Don't they have an algorithm that determines the draw? We've have reasonable draws in the past so it logically follows that you'll pick up a horrid one every now and then.
Yes, teams are pooled based on their finishes the previous year. Now either they play their pool twice, or play everyone outside of their pool twice, not exactly sure, but it's sequential like 1,3,5,7 etc. rather than top teams and bottom teams, and not geographical.

That being said, match scheduling is intentional as agreed by NRL and the broadcasters. Furthermore, teams are able to put in requests, for example home games at certain times, games taken to alternative venues etc.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Wed 25 Oct, 2017 9:16 am

Pool system went out ages ago...Clubs request games it's then put into a Canadian's Computer..

And yes the NRL have it in for us..we should play the Warriors every week ..in NZ..
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

tigerap

Post by tigerap » Wed 25 Oct, 2017 10:12 am

hammertime wrote:
Wed 25 Oct, 2017 7:44 am

I actually think the challenge of the opening rounds is going to be the best thing that has happened to us. It will help drive the guys in the pre-season and get us up to a higher standard quicker with quality opposition.

I'm glad we've got blokes like Reynolds who are going to be driven by it, rather than taking a negative view. I just hope his enthusiasm spreads to the rest of the guys.
Good post!....we certainly do need a change of mindset...from always looking for the easy option, like a good draw, hoping a star player is injured, etc.. to win a game...we should not be worried about things that MAY go against us winning like we have in the past....our mindset needs to be nothing can stop us from winning, only ourselves...that is the mindset of the Storm culture and we need to adopt that....and the sooner the better IMO...

razzledazzle

Post by razzledazzle » Wed 25 Oct, 2017 12:03 pm

I actually don't think the draw is that bad. Playing teams like Melbourne is preferable to playing them later in the year. Rounds 1-5 is the best time to beat the Storm. I would have preferred if we played the Warriors twice but no big deal.

MG1962

Post by MG1962 » Wed 25 Oct, 2017 12:45 pm

tigerap wrote:
Wed 25 Oct, 2017 10:12 am
hammertime wrote:
Wed 25 Oct, 2017 7:44 am

Good post!....we certainly do need a change of mindset...from always looking for the easy option, like a good draw, hoping a star player is injured, etc.. to win a game...we should not be worried about things that MAY go against us winning like we have in the past....our mindset needs to be nothing can stop us from winning, only ourselves...that is the mindset of the Storm culture and we need to adopt that....and the sooner the better IMO...
We also need to remember this will be the period of greatest weakness for the team. We will be playing ourselves as much as the opposition. So I would rather play the premiers a couple of times rather than let ourselves be beaten by weaker side, then still have to play the premiers twice.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Wed 25 Oct, 2017 12:56 pm

Geo. wrote:
Wed 25 Oct, 2017 9:16 am
Pool system went out ages ago...Clubs request games it's then put into a Canadian's Computer..

And yes the NRL have it in for us..we should play the Warriors every week ..in NZ..
Yeah.... Previously you could work out who you'd play once and twice the next year as soon as round 26 was complete... But not for some years now... It's all about clubs requests, a blindfold, darts and a board