NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
goldcoast tiger

Re: Crichton to roosters

Post by goldcoast tiger » Tue 19 Dec, 2017 3:57 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Tue 19 Dec, 2017 2:47 pm
Earl wrote:
Tue 19 Dec, 2017 1:37 pm
I don't buy the culture argument. I agree that it is club's rorting the cap but that isn't a good culture.
Slightly confused Earl

Why can't a club cheating the cap have a good culture ??
If you’re winning, your culture is good, if you are down in the bowels of the comp you have a bad culture,
It’s easy to get a good culture, just start winning.
Really “Culture” is the overused word in the NRL.
You don’t see teams that Win more than their share of games, referred to as having a Bad “culture”.
Culture is how they make yoghurt, and about as useful on a football field.
Just another buzzword .

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Tue 19 Dec, 2017 4:00 pm

gallagher wrote:
Tue 19 Dec, 2017 9:42 am
Tiger Watto wrote:
Tue 19 Dec, 2017 8:32 am
The Tigers really need to hire one of the accountants from the Roosters; Melbourne or Brisbane.

Get them on the Bus Pascoe!
Yep. Bernie Gurr was Parras best signing since Gibson.
We can’t pinch one of their accountants.
Russell will be having hollow feelings each time we play :D

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Tue 19 Dec, 2017 4:01 pm

BalmainBoy wrote:
Tue 19 Dec, 2017 7:08 am
tig_prmz wrote:
Mon 18 Dec, 2017 8:43 pm
BalmainBoy wrote:
Mon 18 Dec, 2017 3:26 pm
Roosters have lost:
Aiden Guerra 200-300k
Connor Watson 150-250k
Shuan Kenny-Dowall 250k-300k
Jayden Nikorima 100-200k
Paul Carter 100k - 200k
Mitchell Pearce 800-900k
Michael Gordon 200k -300k (maybe more?)
Kane Evans 100k
Liam Knights 100k

2 millionish lost?

Gained
Cronk - 800k?
Tedesco - 1 million
ugraded Keary - 200k upgrade?

Increased value 2 millionish?

The salary cap rose also from 7.6 to 9.4 million (1.8 million) - so any players ive missed or upgrades would fit within that..

Easy to say Roosters are rorters.. but I can see how they can fit Chrichton in with the players they've lost

The comments here seem unfounded when you really look at it..
you can't replace 9 players with 3.. you still need a top 30.
Min wage 1-26 is 100k
27-30 is 70 k
Won’t cost much 24-30
6 players will cost 500k
Guerra and Pearce played origin
SKD an international
Watson was the best 14 in the game if not one of the best
Gordon was on good money surely
At one stage Liam Knight was the next big thing
I’m telling you it adds up
But hey let’s be outraged ... life is better when you hate something
Funny that the RLPA figures don't show any semblance to what you are quoting - the minimum is 100k for the top 30 with an average of 330k.

Earl

Post by Earl » Tue 19 Dec, 2017 4:09 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Earl wrote:
I don't buy the culture argument. I agree that it is club's rorting the cap but that isn't a good culture.
Slightly confused Earl

I suppose it could have a good culture but cheating doesn't mean they have a good culture. A good culture comes about by everyone who is involved in whatever team or environment they are in. I don't think the Rorters have a good culture though. They appear to have a bad culture from the outside.

Earl

Post by Earl » Tue 19 Dec, 2017 4:11 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Tue 19 Dec, 2017 3:57 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Earl wrote:
Slightly confused Earl

If you’re winning, your culture is good, if you are down in the bowels of the comp you have a bad culture,
You don’t see teams that Win more than their share of games, referred to as having a Bad “culture”.
Just another buzzword .
I think we are on the same page here. I think culture is important but I don't think it is really about winning games. The way it is used in rugby league is exactly as you state - you win games and it's a good culture and vice versa. The word is meaningless in that context.

Russell

Post by Russell » Tue 19 Dec, 2017 4:29 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Tue 19 Dec, 2017 4:00 pm
gallagher wrote:
Tiger Watto wrote:
The Tigers really need to hire one of the accountants from the Roosters; Melbourne or Brisbane.

You leave my hollow feeling to me. I hope I never have to, because I hope we would never have to stoop down to cheating in any form.

If it would take you 3 months before you came down from your high -n that is good for you.

Call it what you like - juggling the books, hiding TPA's etc. etc. it is still cheating.

If we had to do that to win, I would rather lose. :(

colmcd

Post by colmcd » Tue 19 Dec, 2017 4:39 pm

Harvey wrote:
Mon 18 Dec, 2017 1:15 pm
3.9m of 9.4m cap on 3 players. Other 27 on average of 203k.
The NRL is ridiculous
If the Roosters really had a bunch of No names it would not be ridiculous.

They however have JWH, Tuopu, Fergusson (who may be on a cheap contract due to scandals), Jake Friend (who must be getting some coin), Keary who could easily command 500k, Boyd, etc.

They have lost a stack of stars. But their signing more and more. Is it all TPA's like the dogs 700k tpa contract to Fifita? Or are they roarting the system?

Time for a public account of their cap.

Munk

Post by Munk » Tue 19 Dec, 2017 6:32 pm

Russell wrote:
Tue 19 Dec, 2017 4:29 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
gallagher wrote:
Tiger Watto wrote:

You leave my hollow feeling to me. I hope I never have to, because I hope we would never have to stoop down to cheating in any form.

If it would take you 3 months before you came down from your high -n that is good for you.

Call it what you like - juggling the books, hiding TPA's etc. etc. it is still cheating.

Well considering this clubs winning percentage since inception sits at 43%, its fair to say we are not and never have cheated the cap.

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Tue 19 Dec, 2017 6:51 pm

colmcd wrote:
Tue 19 Dec, 2017 4:39 pm
Harvey wrote:
Mon 18 Dec, 2017 1:15 pm
3.9m of 9.4m cap on 3 players. Other 27 on average of 203k.
The NRL is ridiculous
If the Roosters really had a bunch of No names it would not be ridiculous.

They however have JWH, Tuopu, Fergusson (who may be on a cheap contract due to scandals), Jake Friend (who must be getting some coin), Keary who could easily command 500k, Boyd, etc.

They have lost a stack of stars. But their signing more and more. Is it all TPA's like the dogs 700k tpa contract to Fifita? Or are they roarting the system?

Time for a public account of their cap.
You need to look at their whole top 30 in any assessment. The following players who are in their top 30 would be on bottom dollar contracts or close to:
- Poasa Faamausili
- Mitch Cornish
- Lindsay Collins
- Brendan Frei
- Grant Garvey
- Dean Matterson
- Paul Momirovski
- Sean O'Sullivan
- Victor Radley
- Chris Smith
- Sitili Tupouniua
- Eloni Vunakece

To say that those 12 would average $150K each would be conservative. That's $1.8 million.

The following 4 could quite reasonably be at or about the $200K mark considering when they signed their current contracts:
- Joseph Manu
- Nat Butcher
- Reece Robinson
- Zane Tetevano

So another $800K takes it to $2.6 million for 16 players, leaving $6.8 million for 14 at an average of $485,000 per player.

Aubusson, Matterson, Liu, Tupou, Mitchell, Ferguson and Taukeiaho are all going to be on less than that given the circumstances in which they signed their con tracts/what they are worth.

JWH, Napa, Keary, Tedesco, Cronk, Cordner and Friend you would think would command close to 500 as a minimum and subsantially more in the case of Tedesco, Cronk and Cordner. Those are the kinds of players that are likely to be able to attract solid TPA's though.

It is just a very different approach to roster management. They will not have spent much on their depth at all. By contrast how many players do you think we have that would be on bottom dollar or close to it? Godinet...Gamble maybe? Felise and Chee-Kam would be above bottom dollar, as would Thompson and MWZ. They are probably our 6 cheapest contracts. After that they're probably all $200K plus.

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Tue 19 Dec, 2017 7:24 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Tue 19 Dec, 2017 3:10 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Earl wrote:
Slightly confused Earl

You mean the club rife with drug addicts, dog rooters and sex pests?
Yes and all the best players still want to join them! I really wish some of these guys would show some integrity and forego the extra cash and TPA's being thrown at them and say NO to the bloody Roosters for once. I understand that most players are out for all they can get financially, but in all honesty, they still would be doing a hell of a lot better than most people in the world, on the money they're on now, if they stayed with their current clubs or even joined a 'lesser' club than Easts.

Winning a premiership with a team choc full of superstars would be a hollow feeling compared to winning one with a bunch of honest first graders, who united together and became a great team, imo.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Tue 19 Dec, 2017 7:45 pm

Lidcombe Magpie wrote:
Tue 19 Dec, 2017 3:43 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Tue 19 Dec, 2017 3:29 pm
Lidcombe Magpie wrote:
Tue 19 Dec, 2017 3:22 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Tue 19 Dec, 2017 3:20 pm

Thought we were talking about any of the 16 clubs , not just the Roosters :oops:
Are you saying that the Sharks have a good culture pfffftttttt
Don't you remember their drugs scandals of the near past
Melbourne were cheating the cap and no one would ever question their culture
Cheating is different to drugs and the sexual depravities of some clubs. I can't recall any of these things happening at the Storm. Having said this Canberra has had the worst Monaghan, Carney, Ferguson and Dugan.
Ahhhhhh.....so systematic cheating is on a different plateau , is it LM ?, Onethat doesn’t affect teams culture ((even if it eventually is found that it affected probably three or four premiershipd and gave them an unfair advantage for years , in that they only had to get rid of one player.)
Anyway you can’t blame the Roosters for anything about the Pearce incident.

As I heard it, the dog never pressed charges against anyone, but he was seen around with a massive smile across his face.
He spends his time now forever searching for a bone .

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Tue 19 Dec, 2017 8:51 pm

Roosters Relocate Headquarters To Bermuda In Effort To Stay Under Salary Cap
WENDELL HUSSEY | Cadet Reporter | Contact

From Bondi to Bermuda, it’s a move that could shock the NRL to its core.

The Sydney Roosters have announced that they are planning on relocating their headquarters to the small North Atlantic Island of Bermuda.

It comes after the Sydney Roosters landed another big name signing in Angus Crichton and many in the sporting world were left wondering how long before the club came down in flames.

Phillip Olivio who works as the Head of Accounting at the Roosters explained that this whole salary cap thing can be worked around with a little bit of smart bookkeeping.

“The trick is not to go and do dumb sh,t like giving players boats and that like they did down in Melbourne,”

he said.

We asked Olivio whether the whole Parramatta Eels saga made then jump before they were pushed.

“Haha did you see what they were getting up to in Parra. They were putting these Third Party Agreements on napkins and then giving the boys cash…… Jesus Christ. Even if we stayed we wouldn’t be doing basic stuff like that.”

“You gotta play smart boys. We are off to The British Territory of Bermuda so we don’t get caught for rorting this thing. That way we can get ourselves a 2000’s Melbourne Storm team that’s actually on the books,” he said.

Olivio said that fans don’t have to worry, there will be no name changes or anything of the like, only a change of backdoor process to sign good players.

http://www.betootaadvocate.com
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Tue 19 Dec, 2017 8:54 pm

Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Tue 19 Dec, 2017 9:32 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
Earl wrote:
Slightly confused Earl

Just another buzzword .
Youve obviously never experienced culture in a RL club....good or bad gct....theres more to it than results.
Its definitley no buzzword ...it exists

bigsiro

Post by bigsiro » Tue 19 Dec, 2017 10:53 pm

Russell wrote:
Tue 19 Dec, 2017 4:29 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
gallagher wrote:
Tiger Watto wrote:

Hiding TPA's?
What's the difference if they are hidden or not?
Because if TPA's (whether hidden or disclosed) are completely permissible regardless (i.e. considering restraint of trade amongst other things), then how is it cheating? Practically no TPA is truly at arms length anyway, so all TPA's are cheating in that sense. The system is a joke.

I agree with you in principle; just because everyone is doing it doesn't make it right. But to proclaim "I would rather lose" is a step too far for me. Believe it or not Tigers players have TPA's! So you/we are already doing that to win - just so s*** that we still don't win!

Moral high ground is overrated. Give me a premiership.
Make Wests Tigers Great Again

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 19 Dec, 2017 10:55 pm

Uncle Nick has had something to say about the drama.

"We run our salary cap better than most clubs"

Hopefully someone can post the article.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Wed 20 Dec, 2017 12:52 am

innsaneink wrote:
Tue 19 Dec, 2017 9:32 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
Earl wrote:
Slightly confused Earl

Just another buzzword .
Youve obviously never experienced culture in a RL club....good or bad gct....theres more to it than results.
Its definitley no buzzword ...it exists
From the experiences that I have experienced, (not as a FG player,a happy club is a winning club and most things involving I that club run well,
Clubs who are underachieving will always have more problems than ones who aren’t and underachievers will hardly be judged as a club with a great culture, clubs that win regularly can mostly be regarded as a good culture,
True culture is something that is built over a long time,
Sports clubs are up and down, good years then bad years
You can call it culture if you like
If the club is like we have been for the last three years then the
“Culture would be classed as terrible”
But if we make the eight for the next three years, we’ll be raving about our great “ culture.
Which really will be because of a new Coach and some better players, and winning more than we lose.
It’s not rocket science.
As others have said
Melbourne fits the mould of a great culture, yet participated in some of the worst cheating ever in the game, their so called culture stunk, but a very good Coach and some players that cheating enabled them to keep, kept winning and not long after , they miraculously were again held up as a club with a great culture

Why because they were common cheats, but ........they keep winning because of a great Club Coach, and three top players that they should have never been able to keep

Chris

Post by Chris » Wed 20 Dec, 2017 3:21 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tue 19 Dec, 2017 10:55 pm
Uncle Nick has had something to say about the drama.

"We run our salary cap better than most clubs"

Hopefully someone can post the article.
Most people would say that Rupert Murdoch was the worst thing that could have happened to the game. I disagree. Nick Politis is by far is the worst thing that has happened to this game. He is the architect of the brown paper bags in this game that inspires others to follow him at other clubs.