Rank the Players /Positions /Teams

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 36844
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Rank the Players /Positions /Teams

Post by happy tiger » Mon 22 Jan, 2018 1:46 pm

As was discussed with Geo in the Rank the Coaches thread we mentioned about doing a ranking of teams , players and positions at each club

Can't see any major signings or changes happening now so now is as good as time as ever

The plan will be pick the best 17 imo for each side and then rank them as a position from 1-16

So centres , wingers , second rowers , props and bench will be ranked from 1-16 as a whole

1st being best , 16th being worst

All positions will be added together and obviously the Team with the lowest score will be first etc

Obviously this is just an opinion but it will be interesting to see where sides finish compared to their ranking

Is there anything anyone would like added to this ?? (PS won't be doing stats , we have a few stats geniuses who can do that if they wish :D )

Will produce the results on Friday /Saturday barring any issues

Have a Tigerly week all :sign:

Cheers Happy


Earl
Member
Member
Posts: 1790
Joined: Sat 18 Feb, 2017 9:21 am

Post by Earl » Mon 22 Jan, 2018 2:14 pm

I'm waiting in anticipation. Compiling that is too big an effort for me.

User avatar
Tiger Watto
Member
Member
Posts: 10440
Joined: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: Maroochydore Qld

Post by Tiger Watto » Mon 22 Jan, 2018 4:21 pm

get a job happy
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

User avatar
greatodensraven
Member
Member
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sat 15 Dec, 2012 7:11 pm

Post by greatodensraven » Mon 22 Jan, 2018 6:24 pm

I get my pies from....

Nelson
Member
Member
Posts: 2623
Joined: Sat 31 Oct, 2015 11:17 am

Post by Nelson » Mon 22 Jan, 2018 8:36 pm

Yeah no that is way too big a task to do in one go. I would suggest that you invite people to rank a category at a time, and rather than split it up into individual rankings 1-16 have them ranked in groupings (1-4, 5-8, 9-12 and 13-16). It gets a bit too arbitrary when having to separate down to individual rankings in some categories.

In terms of halves pairings I would say:

Category 1 (guns, speak for themselves)
Morgan/Thurston
Maloney/Cleary
Widdop/Hunt
Keary/Cronk

Category 2
Norman/Moses - both quality players but not top tier for mine and both still have a lack of consistency in their games and a lack of game management ability
Green/Johnson - experienced, should complement each other well and Johnson is 2nd only to Morgan over the last two seasons in attacking stats (2nd most LB's/game, 3rd most TA's/game and 7th most tries/game)
Walker/Reynolds - experienced, complement each other well and Cody Walker generates a lot in attack (most LB's for a half over the last 2 seasons, 8th most tries and 10th most try assists)
Munster/Croft - I rate Munster very highly and think Croft has served a good apprenticeship

Category 3
Milford/Nikorima - I don't rate Nikorima and think the combination lacks game management ability
Watson/Pearce - I have question marks over Watson at 5/8 for 80 minutes
Hastings/DCE - DCE is a gun but Hastings/Croker/Wright are either ordinary or unknown quantities
Moylan/Townsend - I don't think they will complement each other well

Category 4
Reynolds/Brooks - On paper it's not a bad combination of skills but Brooks has not performed well in the recent past and Reynolds is coming off a bad year - I would be more comfortable having DCE, Pearce or Milford in the halves or a premiership-winning halfback in Towsend combining with an Origin rep in Moylan
Elgey/Taylor - Elgey was awful last year and while Taylor is highly rated he was middling in try assists generated over the last 2 years and does not threaten the line much himself
Austin/Sezer - Neither managed games well last season and of the halves were ranked 27th and 29th for try assists/game over the last 2 seasons. They are why Canberra failed to fire in 2017.
Foran/Frawley - Foran looks busted to me and I saw nothing Frawley to get excited about last year.


happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 36844
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Tue 23 Jan, 2018 12:25 am

The plan was to do each team separately and then give the full team rankings at the end

Many positions will be very controversial , a really good example is James Graham , based on World Cup form he is the best prop in the game , but do I base it on his World Cup form ?? And then how will he gel at the Stains ??

User avatar
Tiger Watto
Member
Member
Posts: 10440
Joined: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: Maroochydore Qld

Post by Tiger Watto » Tue 23 Jan, 2018 8:35 am

happy tiger wrote:
Tue 23 Jan, 2018 12:25 am
The plan was to do each team separately and then give the full team rankings at the end

Many positions will be very controversial , a really good example is James Graham , based on World Cup form he is the best prop in the game , but do I base it on his World Cup form ?? And then how will he gel at the Stains ??
How will we decide the Top 17 at the other clubs, considering we cant agree on a Top 17 at the Tigers?
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 36844
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Tue 23 Jan, 2018 8:51 am

Tiger Watto wrote:
Tue 23 Jan, 2018 8:35 am
happy tiger wrote:
Tue 23 Jan, 2018 12:25 am
The plan was to do each team separately and then give the full team rankings at the end

Many positions will be very controversial , a really good example is James Graham , based on World Cup form he is the best prop in the game , but do I base it on his World Cup form ?? And then how will he gel at the Stains ??
How will we decide the Top 17 at the other clubs, considering we cant agree on a Top 17 at the Tigers?
You won't , you just get you vehemently disagree with my 17 , if you wish to change it and re-rank it feel free

This is more to see where we rank in the whole scheme of things , help to maybe take the tangerine , black and white sunnies off perhaps or even give more optimism to the more pessimistic among us

Footy is just around the corner , hopefully will get us excited about the 2018 season :sign:

User avatar
Masterton
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 2170
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 6:57 pm

Post by Masterton » Tue 23 Jan, 2018 8:03 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Tue 23 Jan, 2018 12:25 am
The plan was to do each team separately and then give the full team rankings at the end

Many positions will be very controversial , a really good example is James Graham , based on World Cup form he is the best prop in the game , but do I base it on his World Cup form ?? And then how will he gel at the Stains ??
Sounds good to me. Good off-season banter.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

User avatar
barra
Member
Member
Posts: 2061
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: Sth Coast

Post by barra » Wed 24 Jan, 2018 12:30 pm

Good on ya Happ...
Put an example up for us eh?

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 36844
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Wed 24 Jan, 2018 12:52 pm

barra wrote:
Wed 24 Jan, 2018 12:30 pm
Good on ya Happ...
Put an example up for us eh?
Still putting the top 17 together Barra

But lets use the 2005 WT's side as an example

1 Hodgson
2 Fitzy
3 Fats
4 Elford
5 Pattycakes
6 Benj
7 Prince
8 Skando
9 Farah
10 Laffranchi
11 O"Neill
12 Galea
13 Halatau

14 Payten
15 Rhino
16 Fulton
17 Gibbs

Fullback 3/16
Wingers 12/16
Centres 7/16
5/8 3/16
Half 5/16
Backrow 9/16
Lock 6/16
Props 6/16
Hooker 4/16
Bench 10/16

Tigers score 65, 3 teams with better scores Tigers are 4th best rated size in 2005

And if I thought a call might be controversial I will add why ......

EG Fitzy was crap

Bench was very young and inexperienced

You get the drift

Also what I was going to add the other day , if a player is available in Rd 8 for example they will be included but if out for the season ie Hodgson at Canberra ... they won't be included

Cheers Happy

User avatar
Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 25495
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Wed 24 Jan, 2018 1:22 pm

Fitzy was NOT Crap..in '05...the End..If anything Richards was ordinary for the 1st half of the season as were most of the rest ..then BOOOOOM...

Probably goes to show how ranking teams doesn't mean much ..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

User avatar
Tiger Watto
Member
Member
Posts: 10440
Joined: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: Maroochydore Qld

Post by Tiger Watto » Wed 24 Jan, 2018 5:53 pm

Fitzy was the king of 05 and should be granted life membership at this club... The only Wests Tigers player to score a Try in the World Sevens Final; NRL Grand Final; and World Club Challenge...

True Club Legend!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 36844
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Wed 24 Jan, 2018 11:54 pm

Geo and Watto

You do know what EG means .....

Fitzy's run in the 2nd half turned the momentum in the GF leading to his own try

User avatar
barra
Member
Member
Posts: 2061
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: Sth Coast

Post by barra » Thu 25 Jan, 2018 1:15 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Wed 24 Jan, 2018 12:52 pm
barra wrote:
Wed 24 Jan, 2018 12:30 pm
Good on ya Happ...
Put an example up for us eh?
Still putting the top 17 together Barra

But lets use the 2005 WT's side as an example

1 Hodgson
2 Fitzy
3 Fats
4 Elford
5 Pattycakes
6 Benj
7 Prince
8 Skando
9 Farah
10 Laffranchi
11 O"Neill
12 Galea
13 Halatau

14 Payten
15 Rhino
16 Fulton
17 Gibbs

Fullback 3/16
Wingers 12/16
Centres 7/16
5/8 3/16
Half 5/16
Backrow 9/16
Lock 6/16
Props 6/16
Hooker 4/16
Bench 10/16

Tigers score 65, 3 teams with better scores Tigers are 4th best rated size in 2005

And if I thought a call might be controversial I will add why ......

EG Fitzy was crap

Bench was very young and inexperienced

You get the drift

Also what I was going to add the other day , if a player is available in Rd 8 for example they will be included but if out for the season ie Hodgson at Canberra ... they won't be included

Cheers Happy
Thanks mate, I get it now!

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 36844
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Fri 26 Jan, 2018 4:16 am

All finally finished , will just re check the numbers once I get a few hours kip , had to work on my day off yesterday and been doing the ranking since 11 PM

Well , thought fullback would be the hardest position to rank

Easily the hardest position to rank players is the 13 jersey , changed it 6 times with 1 and 7 close behind

Anyway time for the Sandman

Cheers Happy

User avatar
innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 25604
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Fri 26 Jan, 2018 5:32 am

I for one, cannot wait.

User avatar
Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 25495
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Fri 26 Jan, 2018 5:35 am

:lol: Yes the anticipation is almost unbearable... :roll:
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

Post Reply