Who wins the wooden spoon in 2018?

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion

Who wins the Wooden Spoon in 2018?

Knights
2
2%
Raiders
6
7%
Tigers
2
2%
Eels
7
8%
Bulldogs
17
19%
Titans
18
20%
Warriors
28
31%
Sharks
1
1%
Sea Eagles
3
3%
Rabbitohs
5
6%
 
Total votes: 89

User avatar
Tacky
Member
Member
Posts: 2714
Joined: Sun 26 Mar, 2017 8:11 pm

Who wins the wooden spoon in 2018?

Post by Tacky » Sat 03 Feb, 2018 1:36 pm

Newcastle Knights - 3 consecutive and current wooden spoon holders.
Canberra Raiders - Big form dip in 2017, poor halves combination, player injuries.
Wests Tigers - High roster turnover, lack of x-factor.
Parramatta Eels - Jarryd Hayne.
Canterbury Bulldogs - New coach, rumours of club drama, losing some big players.
Gold Coast Titans - New coach, major player injuries.
New Zealand Warriors - Stephen Kearney, RTS off-contract, poor recruitment.
Cronulla Sharks - Ageing roster, poor halves combination.
Manly Sea Eagles - Salary cap problems, inexperienced 5/8.
South Sydney Rabbitohs - New coach, player injuries.
Pres. MCK fan club

MCK fan club members: VP hobbo. Spud Murphy. WestsBenTigers. wt01. TigerKapa. TigersBusDriver. Clearyweareone. kh_canada. sheer64. Magpie Magic. tigermac88. LeichhardtTiger. beachtiger. TSupps05. underdog. rex2ce. teddy23. Tigerdon. willow. TrueTiger. tigerbenji. Balmainbred. hank37w. criwdfluffer. Ken Y.


User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29897
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Sat 03 Feb, 2018 1:41 pm

Manly..

Also.... the Wooden spoon no longer exists ..it is least amount of wins due to certain Clubs breaching the salary Cap and being stripped of competition points therefore finishing last with those in the know cashing in big time at ridiculous odds..

It could very well happen again..
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

fergiefurr
Member
Member
Posts: 2920
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm

Post by fergiefurr » Sat 03 Feb, 2018 2:24 pm

warriors or souths for mine

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 41510
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm
Location: Watching Waiting Lurking

Post by happy tiger » Sat 03 Feb, 2018 2:44 pm

I've gone Knights , think they lack forward depth

But could quite easily be Dogs or Titans

Sunnycoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 333
Joined: Fri 04 Mar, 2011 9:45 am
Location: SunshineCoast

Post by Sunnycoast tiger » Sat 03 Feb, 2018 3:13 pm

I've gone Warriors, Stephen Kearney.


User avatar
Harvey
Member
Member
Posts: 3807
Joined: Mon 22 Jun, 2015 10:01 pm
Location: Leumeah

Post by Harvey » Sat 03 Feb, 2018 3:33 pm

I went the Raiders. Ricky usually guides a club towards the bottom of the table during his tenure.

Honestly, it could almost be any club given a couple of key injuries. Manly rely on a couple of very good players, the titans are on par with us around a lack of superstars and the dogs have not improved massively.

The roosters have signed some big names, but have next to no front-rowers and lack depth in a number of key positions.

User avatar
Tiger Steve
Member
Member
Posts: 2114
Joined: Wed 29 Mar, 2017 5:30 pm
Location: Chatswood West

Post by Tiger Steve » Sat 03 Feb, 2018 5:23 pm

Harvey wrote:
Sat 03 Feb, 2018 3:33 pm
I went the Raiders. Ricky usually guides a club towards the bottom of the table during his tenure.

Honestly, it could almost be any club given a couple of key injuries. Manly rely on a couple of very good players, the titans are on par with us around a lack of superstars and the dogs have not improved massively.

The roosters have signed some big names, but have next to no front-rowers and lack depth in a number of key positions.
It won’t be the Roosters
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29897
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Sat 03 Feb, 2018 5:38 pm

Who voted for Wests Tigers...?
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

Spud Murphy
Member
Member
Posts: 2466
Joined: Sat 13 May, 2017 5:04 pm
Location: Third Heaven

Post by Spud Murphy » Sat 03 Feb, 2018 5:53 pm

Where are the other 6 teams? There are no guarantees in rugby league.

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29897
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Sat 03 Feb, 2018 6:11 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Sat 03 Feb, 2018 6:03 pm
Geo. wrote:
Sat 03 Feb, 2018 5:38 pm
Who voted for Wests Tigers...?
Confucius say "Who smelt it , dealt it "

Own your vote please
Manly like I vote every year..
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

Balmainbred
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed 17 May, 2017 4:33 pm

Post by Balmainbred » Sat 03 Feb, 2018 6:22 pm

Parra, or manly.

User avatar
WestsBenTigers
Member
Member
Posts: 1706
Joined: Wed 05 Oct, 2016 11:14 am

Post by WestsBenTigers » Sat 03 Feb, 2018 8:47 pm

I went Canberra

Nelson
Member
Member
Posts: 3496
Joined: Sat 31 Oct, 2015 11:17 am

Post by Nelson » Sat 03 Feb, 2018 8:54 pm

Geo. wrote:
Sat 03 Feb, 2018 5:38 pm
Who voted for Wests Tigers...?
Probably one of the eternal optimists like goldcoast tiger or Munk...

coivtny
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 338
Joined: Fri 28 Apr, 2017 9:18 am
Location: Central Coast

Post by coivtny » Sat 03 Feb, 2018 11:07 pm

Geo. wrote:
Sat 03 Feb, 2018 5:38 pm
Who voted for Wests Tigers...?
I'll own up. I'd love my view to be wrong and, while I think we've bought well, we've lost some good players too. i think the teams that finished below us in 2017 have bought better than us e.g Newcastle and the teams that finished above us have improved their rosters at least as well as we have. With our draw next year we could be 0 - 6 and might not have played a bad game. If we are 0 - 6 we will find the spoon hard to avoid.

User avatar
sheer64
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 5658
Joined: Sun 23 Sep, 2012 2:06 pm

Post by sheer64 » Sun 04 Feb, 2018 2:28 am

Titans will struggle away, plus they have the Commonwealth Games on in their backyard so could be an awful start to the season for them.
Today we saw a true champion in Winx, and a true bludger in Cleary!

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 2257
Joined: Mon 29 Aug, 2016 8:52 am

Post by TCL » Sun 04 Feb, 2018 8:40 am

I would like Parra to win it but I think it's Titans or Warriors

Spud Murphy
Member
Member
Posts: 2466
Joined: Sat 13 May, 2017 5:04 pm
Location: Third Heaven

Post by Spud Murphy » Sun 04 Feb, 2018 8:44 am

coivtny wrote:
Sat 03 Feb, 2018 11:07 pm
Geo. wrote:
Sat 03 Feb, 2018 5:38 pm
Who voted for Wests Tigers...?
I'll own up. I'd love my view to be wrong and, while I think we've bought well, we've lost some good players too. i think the teams that finished below us in 2017 have bought better than us e.g Newcastle and the teams that finished above us have improved their rosters at least as well as we have. With our draw next year we could be 0 - 6 and might not have played a bad game. If we are 0 - 6 we will find the spoon hard to avoid.
Surprised it's you coivtny, but I can see where you're coming from. Our start is horrible and if we do end up losing all or most of those 6 games it will be hard mentally & physically on the team trying to play catch up all season.

That said, I think we will go a lot better than many of the pundits expect. The coach gives me great confidence and so does the relatively new roster. Though the team, as a whole is untried, we have bought some very good players and I think Cleary will have them firing pretty well from the get go. I'm not sure exactly where we will finish at seasons end, but I'm fairly certain that it won't be last, or even second last!

By the way, I'm still wondering where the other 6 teams are on that list, especially Penrith and St George - both of those teams could easily pick up the spoon in a bad season.

coivtny
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 338
Joined: Fri 28 Apr, 2017 9:18 am
Location: Central Coast

Post by coivtny » Sun 04 Feb, 2018 9:06 am

Spud Murphy wrote:
Sun 04 Feb, 2018 8:44 am
coivtny wrote:
Sat 03 Feb, 2018 11:07 pm
Geo. wrote:
Sat 03 Feb, 2018 5:38 pm
Who voted for Wests Tigers...?
I'll own up. I'd love my view to be wrong and, while I think we've bought well, we've lost some good players too. i think the teams that finished below us in 2017 have bought better than us e.g Newcastle and the teams that finished above us have improved their rosters at least as well as we have. With our draw next year we could be 0 - 6 and might not have played a bad game. If we are 0 - 6 we will find the spoon hard to avoid.
Surprised it's you coivtny, but I can see where you're coming from. Our start is horrible and if we do end up losing all or most of those 6 games it will be hard mentally & physically on the team trying to play catch up all season.

That said, I think we will go a lot better than many of the pundits expect. The coach gives me great confidence and so does the relatively new roster. Though the team, as a whole is untried, we have bought some very good players and I think Cleary will have them firing pretty well from the get go. I'm not sure exactly where we will finish at seasons end, but I'm fairly certain that it won't be last, or even second last!

By the way, I'm still wondering where the other 6 teams are on that list, especially Penrith and St George - both of those teams could easily pick up the spoon in a bad season.
I'll be delighted if I'm proved wrong. I agree with you on Cleary. To me he is the biggest asset we have but he can only get them ready to play and it's then up to the players. I think the forwards are our strength and the backs are the great unknown. Reynolds and Tui could be great but time will tell. Brooks hasn't lived up to expectations and will need to lead the team around consistently better than he ever has. Longer term I'm more positive if we really have learned the lessons from the past few years.

Post Reply