NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
sheer64
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Re: Mathew Lodge

Post by sheer64 » Tue 06 Mar, 2018 11:47 am

strrretch wrote:
Tue 06 Mar, 2018 11:16 am
How unusual, A young bloke with alcohol and relationship problems . Even more strange....holier than thou hypocrites baying for blood. A "family" trying to gouge monetary "compensation" . Hope the guy gets on well with his life and the crap blows up in the face of his persecutors
Wow, Pell may need you as a character witness.
Today we saw a true champion in Winx, and a true bludger in Cleary!

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Tue 06 Mar, 2018 2:09 pm

supercoach wrote:
Tue 06 Mar, 2018 11:44 am
Tiger Watto wrote:
Sat 03 Mar, 2018 7:33 am
This campaign against Lodge is disgraceful. There is no difference between the Matt Lodge incident and Russell Packer's. Both have committed horrendous crimes, both have faced punishment, and both have been given another chance by the NRL. If you are cheering for Packer next Saturday, you should also accept Matt Lodge back into the game of Rugby League.

I hope he rips in, behaves and has a great year!
No comparison at all. One served a full sentence, demonstrated remorse to the victim, took ownership of his crime and fulfilled everything the court asked him to do.

Mr Lodge I am afraid has shown no remorse to the victims and has not followed the court order.
Firstly, Packer didnt serve a full sentence. He was paroled on good behaviour 1/2 way through. Lodge served his sentence and demonstrated remorse and did as per the criminal conviction asked exactly as Packer did. While the punishment was different, both committed their crime and served their punishment.

The outstanding monetary order is a civil matter as the familys took him to court after his conviction. I wouldnt be paying it yet either. I'd say he will be successful in negotiating a settlement at half the value if he drags it out long enough. The only difference between the 2 scenarios is Packer was not subject to civil action as the victim chose not to persue the matter of compensation.
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Tue 06 Mar, 2018 2:21 pm

strrretch wrote:
How unusual, A young bloke with alcohol and relationship problems . Even more strange....holier than thou hypocrites baying for blood. A "family" trying to gouge monetary "compensation" . Hope the guy gets on well with his life and the crap blows up in the face of his persecutors
Gday Lodgey, how you doing?! What a load your post is.
Absolutely, plenty of young blokes have alcohol and/or relationship problem. What is not so common is young blokes with alcohol and relationship problems belting their missus and going on idiotic rampages threatening strangers with "tonight is the night you die" and terrorizing young kids. How someone defends this maggot's actions astounds me TBH.
Perhaps if it happened to your family you would see the reality in it all. Hope he breaks his hip on Thursday night and then gets forced to pay the whole amount of money owed to the innocent victims of this crime. Human waste.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Tue 06 Mar, 2018 2:25 pm

Tiger Watto wrote:
Tue 06 Mar, 2018 2:09 pm
supercoach wrote:
Tue 06 Mar, 2018 11:44 am
Tiger Watto wrote:
Sat 03 Mar, 2018 7:33 am
This campaign against Lodge is disgraceful. There is no difference between the Matt Lodge incident and Russell Packer's. Both have committed horrendous crimes, both have faced punishment, and both have been given another chance by the NRL. If you are cheering for Packer next Saturday, you should also accept Matt Lodge back into the game of Rugby League.

I hope he rips in, behaves and has a great year!
No comparison at all. One served a full sentence, demonstrated remorse to the victim, took ownership of his crime and fulfilled everything the court asked him to do.

Mr Lodge I am afraid has shown no remorse to the victims and has not followed the court order.
Firstly, Packer didnt serve a full sentence. He was paroled on good behaviour 1/2 way through. Lodge served his sentence and demonstrated remorse and did as per the criminal conviction asked exactly as Packer did. While the punishment was different, both committed their crime and served their punishment.

The outstanding monetary order is a civil matter as the familys took him to court after his conviction. I wouldnt be paying it yet either. I'd say he will be successful in negotiating a settlement at half the value if he drags it out long enough. The only difference between the 2 scenarios is Packer was not subject to civil action as the victim chose not to persue the matter of compensation.
Dont buy your argument at all, but if he turns his life around as well as Packer and his victims get what they are owed, his re registration will be a good thing

Silentio

Post by Silentio » Wed 07 Mar, 2018 1:28 pm

Fair dinkum.

Suddenly assaulting a fully grown footy player outside a nightclub is the same as busting into a stranger's home, smashing it up, making death threats to a kids and getting arrested at gunpoint?

Both are disgusting (one clearly more so) but we need to draw a line somewhere.

The line should have been drawn at Matt Lodge.

We have now set a messed up precedent for future bad behavior.

The heat should be applied directly at none other than Uncle Wayne Bennett.

Signing Lodge on the cheap was a desperate act from an increasingly desperate bloke who is struggling and should have retired a few years ago.
Last edited by Silentio on Wed 07 Mar, 2018 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

willow

Post by willow » Wed 07 Mar, 2018 3:05 pm

Silentio wrote:
Wed 07 Mar, 2018 1:28 pm
Fair dinkum.

Suddenly assaulting a fully grown footy player outside a nightclub is the same as busting into a stranger's home, smashing it up, making death threats to a kids and getting arrested at gunpoint?

The heat should be applied directed at none other than Uncle Wayne Bennett.

Signing Lodge on the cheap was a desperate act from an increasingly desperate bloke who is struggling and should have retired a few years ago.
Agree, Lodge can count himself lucky to be alive to be perfectly honest.

Jay

Post by Jay » Wed 07 Mar, 2018 5:20 pm

So glad Tigers axed him and didn't invite him back. I could never support this guy. Yuck. Poor form by Broncos

chickenkebabs

Post by chickenkebabs » Wed 07 Mar, 2018 6:13 pm

Lodge needs to pay the compensation and make sure he never has a drink again.
The thought of someone that size going mental around my wife and children terrifies me.

Cairnstigers

Post by Cairnstigers » Wed 07 Mar, 2018 6:38 pm

No excuses wether drunk or on drugs for belting anyone

I think you could only justify this action if you are defending yourself or your family
Most of us would do anything we could to protect the innocent

Lodge broke the law in another country and should be punished by that countries law
If he has been given a fine then he should pay it not just walk away from it
Maybe a compromise can be reached
If he was to apply himself to studies (maybe social science?)like Packer has and he can achieve great results then maybe a reduced settlement can be reached
That way he may learn something other than being a thug

Marshall_magic

Post by Marshall_magic » Wed 07 Mar, 2018 6:54 pm

strrretch wrote:
The bloke got himself boozed up beyond belief and started walloping innocent strangers. He is NOT a victim in this situation. Just because you can't control yourself on the drink does not make you any less responsible for your actions. Just because you have your problems doesn't give you permission to wallop a family or make death threats.

Sco77y

Post by Sco77y » Wed 07 Mar, 2018 9:47 pm

willow wrote:
Wed 07 Mar, 2018 3:05 pm
Silentio wrote:
Wed 07 Mar, 2018 1:28 pm
Fair dinkum.

The heat should be applied directed at none other than Uncle Wayne Bennett.

Agree, Lodge can count himself lucky to be alive to be perfectly honest.
Was thinking the same. Arrested at gunpoint, in the US.. Could’ve easily been shot :s

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Wed 07 Mar, 2018 10:04 pm

The League Life interview tonight didn't do anything to prove he is truly remorseful. He calls his rampage "embarrassing". Disgraceful, idiotic or shameful would better describe it IMO.
Claims he blacked out and remembers nothing of the night but in the next breath says he disputes some of the accusations levelled against him from the victims. He is full of BS- will fit right in at the Broncos who aren't really known for their integrity as a club.
James Graham will hopefully give him a lesson about being a real man and knock him rotten tomorrow night.

snowleopard

Post by snowleopard » Wed 07 Mar, 2018 10:24 pm

As they said on 360 tonight if he was player 29 would there even be a discussion. The Broncos are in need of a prop so as usual they get what they want. End of discussion.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Wed 07 Mar, 2018 10:32 pm

At no stage did he say that he was going to pay the compensation to the victims.As far as genuine remorse i didnt see any from him.
The creeping zombie in brisbane may have got a prop on the cheap,he will fit in well at that stain of a club.

strrretch

Post by strrretch » Wed 07 Mar, 2018 10:44 pm

All u knockers must lead a very cloistered existence or ur as soft as limp marshmallows. Not to condone bad behaviour, but really....... get real

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Wed 07 Mar, 2018 11:14 pm

strrretch wrote:
Wed 07 Mar, 2018 10:44 pm
All u knockers must lead a very cloistered existence or ur as soft as limp marshmallows. Not to condone bad behaviour, but really....... get real
Bit tough stretch! I watched with an open mind and felt he was more concerned about how he had been affected - very little said about the consequences for the victims. I think he was emotional so that says something I suppose
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 08 Mar, 2018 12:14 am

I haven't seen the Interview with Yvonne Sampson yet ,( have taped it )
but why not get interviewed by Paul Kent or Phil Gould ??

For me that says enough alone

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Thu 08 Mar, 2018 8:08 am

Interviews, showing remorse etc are simple fluff bs and means nothing... Its all part of the media circus designed to pull at the heart strings of the emotionally stupid. Headlines like "he hasnt reached out to us directly" was just reeling you all in. As if he would be able to talk to the victims directly while there is still a negotiation for settlement. No lawyers in the history of extortion would allow their clients to talk to him! But as usual, it looks like the hooked a few from here.

When this kid starts winning a few games based on his performance, headline will be 'Lodge on the road to redemption' and they will start talking about SOO and parading him in MOM Awards to make a claim for a new story to feed the dumb dumbs. The fact Gus Gould has already made a play to get his signature at Penrith shows that no one in the NRL really cares about it and its a nothing issue.

Well played Media... You have dragged the game down once again!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017