Inside story on how Tedesco nearly signed with Bulldogs

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
User avatar
WestsBenTigers
Member
Member
Posts: 1704
Joined: Wed 05 Oct, 2016 11:14 am

Inside story on how Tedesco nearly signed with Bulldogs

Post by WestsBenTigers » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 12:34 pm

Inside story on how Tedesco nearly signed with Bulldogs
Author Michael Chammas Chief Reporter Timestamp Wed 14 Mar 2018, 12:00 PM
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/03/14/the ... -bulldogs/

All the lights were off. It was almost 10pm at Belmore Sportsground in March last year.

Des Hasler had gone home for the night, not a player or staff member in sight.

Then James Tedesco and Aaron Woods, who will square off against each other for their respective new clubs on Friday night, drove into the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs' headquarters.

Former chairman Ray Dib was waiting to give them and their manager Isaac Moses a secret tour of the club's facilities. Even the then chief executive, Raelene Castle, was unaware. The coach was unaware.


They walked into the cold and dark Belmore dressing rooms, where only a few hours earlier the Bulldogs players had finished for the day.

There were two Bulldogs jerseys hanging from the ceiling.

One with "Woods" on the back. The other, "Tedesco".

Mitchell Moses wasn't there that night, but the intention was that in the coming weeks, all three would sign on the dotted line for the Bulldogs.

Sydney Roosters fullback James Tedesco.
Sydney Roosters fullback James Tedesco.
©Gregg Porteous / NRL Photos
"I love playing with Mitch," Tedesco told NRL.com.

"He's one of my best mates. I wanted to play footy with him."

So after their confidential meeting in the eerie silence of a vacant Belmore Sportsground, the chairman organised for Tedesco and Woods to meet Hasler.

For Woods, a prop, the question of who was to wear the No.7 jersey wasn't as vital in his decision making as it was to a fullback like Tedesco.

He wanted to know. And he wanted to know if it could be Moses.

A few statements about his defence and it became apparent to Tedesco that Moses wasn't in the coach's plans.

Bulldogs prop Aaron Woods.
Bulldogs prop Aaron Woods.
©Grant Trouville/NRL Photos
That was all but the end of Tedesco's interest and the end of the chairman's hopes of landing the trio in a multimillion-dollar package deal.

They wanted the three of them. In the end, they got one, and Kieran Foran's signature would follow in the coming months.

"The Bulldogs were an option for me," Tedesco said.

"And the Roosters were an option for me. But at the end of the day, I thought Roosters were the best fit for me.


"Speaking to Robbo (coach Trent Robinson) and Mini (Anthony Minichiello) as well, he was a big factor for me to benefit my game. At the end of the day, the Roosters were the best option for me and that's why I chose here."


TigersBusDriver
Member
Member
Posts: 1170
Joined: Mon 24 Apr, 2017 9:24 pm

Post by TigersBusDriver » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 12:37 pm

Yawn

Tedesco and his BS is getting boring now

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 5921
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 12:55 pm

Ha didn't Teddy come out the other week and say the story about Moses is rubbish, that he never made any arrangement to sign on if Mitchell did?

Dib aired the story a few weeks ago and now Chammas is filling in the details.

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 22194
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 1:05 pm

Poor Woodsy got left like a shag on a rock hahaha

tiger05premier
Member
Member
Posts: 762
Joined: Tue 11 Mar, 2014 6:26 pm
Location: Newcastle

Post by tiger05premier » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 1:18 pm

I felt a bit sorry for poor simple woodsy towards the end of last year but the more that comes out about him shows what a grub of a captain he was

He should have been trying to talk the others into staying

Being captain and doing all this probably sits him lower than the other 2 grubs if thats possible

Also shows all along they were leaving just had to find a club to accommodate all of them and if not just go separate ways

Thank god IC came in and took a stance otherwise by the time we found out they were leaving we would have been screwed recruitment wise


User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 22194
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 1:26 pm

tiger05premier wrote:
Wed 14 Mar, 2018 1:18 pm
I felt a bit sorry for poor simple woodsy towards the end of last year but the more that comes out about him shows what a grub of a captain he was

He should have been trying to talk the others into staying

Being captain and doing all this probably sits him lower than the other 2 grubs if thats possible

Also shows all along they were leaving just had to find a club to accommodate all of them and if not just go separate ways

Thank god IC came in and took a stance otherwise by the time we found out they were leaving we would have been screwed recruitment wise
Towards the end of the year it was obvious Woods was thinking "what the hell have i done". You could tell he had developed a close relationship with Cleary. He grew up in the area, played all his junior footy here, went on to play Origin and represent his country, captained his club, and left for what? It was a monumental screw up on his part which i think he'll eventually regret, if he doesn't already.

Magpie Magic
Member
Member
Posts: 1068
Joined: Mon 05 Apr, 2010 2:17 pm

Post by Magpie Magic » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 1:32 pm

Sometimes I feel the dogs like to think its the 80s still where they could do what they want.
Those days are over as Woods will find out and Tedesco probably figured out.
In this new world order its looking better for us.

hobbo
Member
Member
Posts: 10108
Joined: Mon 10 Mar, 2014 5:03 pm

Post by hobbo » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 1:33 pm

In order ...IMO

1. Moses ... Slimey GRUB
2. Woods ...Dumb GRUB
3. Tedesco ...Greedy GRUB
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 22194
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 1:43 pm

Im not as hard on Moses for some reason. Yes, i hate him, but he got his when Cleary signed and straight away told him he was pretty much unwanted. That would have bruised the ego big time.

Tedesco can go to hell, however when the Roosters throw millions of dollars at you. not many players turn down that opportunity

Its Woods who still burns me. The most pathetic excuse of a captain i have ever seen. His mind was made up at least a year before, which as why he refused to ever endorse the club publicly. Then goes on TV and throws the club under the bus. What sort of captain is that. He's scum, and the door should be permanantly shut on him if he ever thinks about returning.
Last edited by GNR4LIFE on Wed 14 Mar, 2018 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 3979
Joined: Fri 07 Jun, 2013 7:33 pm

Post by formerguest » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 1:44 pm

hobbo wrote:
Wed 14 Mar, 2018 1:33 pm
In order ...IMO

1. Moses ... Slimey GRUB
2. Woods ...Dumb GRUB
3. Tedesco ...Greedy GRUB
And WT signed Grub.

Like many, the second, third and fourth best things footy wise on the weekend for mine were the losses suffered by the turncoats. Ava's sharks also went down, so all the top squad players that left got done :D

Clearyweareone
Member
Member
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu 22 Feb, 2018 9:23 pm

Post by Clearyweareone » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 1:49 pm

As good a player Teddy is he does not seem to fit the team spirit (on the bus) ethos Ivan is after.

Moses was no loss.

Woods would have benefited from the new team but no way should be ever be captain material. I would not say no to him rejoining the WT are a decent haircut and shave.

tiger05premier
Member
Member
Posts: 762
Joined: Tue 11 Mar, 2014 6:26 pm
Location: Newcastle

Post by tiger05premier » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 1:52 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Wed 14 Mar, 2018 1:26 pm
tiger05premier wrote:
Wed 14 Mar, 2018 1:18 pm
I felt a bit sorry for poor simple woodsy towards the end of last year but the more that comes out about him shows what a grub of a captain he was

He should have been trying to talk the others into staying

Being captain and doing all this probably sits him lower than the other 2 grubs if thats possible

Also shows all along they were leaving just had to find a club to accommodate all of them and if not just go separate ways

Thank god IC came in and took a stance otherwise by the time we found out they were leaving we would have been screwed recruitment wise
Towards the end of the year it was obvious Woods was thinking "what the hell have i done". You could tell he had developed a close relationship with Cleary. He grew up in the area, played all his junior footy here, went on to play Origin and represent his country, captained his club, and left for what? It was a monumental screw up on his part which i think he'll eventually regret, if he doesn't already.
Yes i agree with all that but that and that's why i felt for him towards the end of last year but with everything coming out now it just makes me sick.

It's proof that he never was captain material.

A true captain would that had done everything with his junior club as you stated would have stuck solid through thick and thin.

But as stated in several threads over the past year we all know he is not very smart and was probably led astray

tiger05premier
Member
Member
Posts: 762
Joined: Tue 11 Mar, 2014 6:26 pm
Location: Newcastle

Post by tiger05premier » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 1:56 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Wed 14 Mar, 2018 1:43 pm
Im not as hard on Moses for some reason. Yes, i hate him, but he got his when Cleary signed and straight away told him he was pretty much unwanted. That would have bruised the ego big time.

Tedesco can go to hell, however when the Roosters throw millions of dollars at you. not many players turn down that opportunity

Its Woods who still burns me. The most pathetic excuse of a captain i have ever seen. His mind was made up at least a year before, which as why he refused to ever endorse the club publicly. Then goes on TV and throws the club under the bus. What sort of captain is that. He's scum, and the door should be permanantly shut on him if he ever thinks about returning.
Good post

Don't want to see any of them near our club again

Teddy can go to hell and the other 2 can as well

User avatar
Yossarian
Member
Member
Posts: 9667
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 7:46 pm
Location: Central Coast

Post by Yossarian » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 2:15 pm

My takeaways from this article:

Tedesco had zero interest in re-signing but apparently never told the club that until fairly late on.

Dib and I Moses conduct their business in a way that reflects poorly on them and their clients. Why the late night visit etc

Dib clearly didn't rate M Moses!

Bee-Em
Member
Member
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri 14 Apr, 2017 7:31 pm

Post by Bee-Em » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 2:28 pm

"Speaking to Robbo (coach Trent Robinson) and Mini (Anthony Minichiello) as well, he was a big factor for me to benefit my game. At the end of the day, the Roosters were the best option for me and that's why I chose here."

If Tedesco's first game is any indication of his game benefiting by going to the chooks, it might be a long year for him.

And Sharon better enjoy his hair style while it's still there, because I think his face is getting bigger..

LARDS
Member
Member
Posts: 552
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 8:25 pm

Post by LARDS » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 2:32 pm

Funny how all along they all stated that they were resigned to not playing together and at the same time trying to do just that but at a different club.
Also , where was Brooksey in this package deal?

User avatar
The Patriot
Member
Member
Posts: 1848
Joined: Fri 16 Feb, 2018 8:39 am

Post by The Patriot » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 2:34 pm

Never agreed with Woods being made captain. Thought it was just another god awful decision

.
Its an opinion!

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 40523
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 3:15 pm

Officer Barbrady has this subject covered me thinks

Post Reply