Aaron Woods ‘a shadow’ of James Graham, says Michael Ennis

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
User avatar
Tacky
Member
Member
Posts: 2273
Joined: Sun 26 Mar, 2017 8:11 pm

Aaron Woods ‘a shadow’ of James Graham, says Michael Ennis

Post by Tacky » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 8:24 am

HE’S the $800,000 per season marquee man who forced James Graham out of Canterbury, but he’s not living up to his price tag.

That’s the belief of former NRL premiership-winner Michael Ennis, who says Aaron Woods is “a shadow” of what Graham has been at new club St George Illawarra in the opening rounds of the season.

Woods linked with the Bulldogs on a rich four-year deal, a move that caused Graham to sign with the Dragons on a contract worth a reported $1.8 million over three seasons.

Upon arriving at Belmore, Woods said he was excited to play the “rugged style” of football the Bulldogs are renown for.

But according to Ennis, who played for the Bulldogs from 2010 to 2014, the Australia and NSW Origin prop is yet to display those traits, and it was clear what the club had lost in Graham.

“It’s evident. Look at the Dragons at the moment,” Ennis told Fox Sports.

“(Graham) has been the heart and soul. (Dragons coach) Paul McGregor has been treasuring what James Graham has brought to that club.

“Aaron Woods, there is so much focus on Woods being a front-rower.

“We know what we get from David Klemmer. He’s aggressive, he welcomes the contact, he takes personal battles against opposition front-rowers.

“Aaron Woods stepping into Graham’s shoes, in the opening two rounds — and it’s only been two rounds, let’s not go too hard — he’s been a shadow of what James Graham has done at the Dragons.

“For me, Aaron Woods at the moment is just knocking out his numbers, but in terms of really leading this Canterbury-Bankstown forward pack, I haven’t seen that yet.”

Woods has averaged 58 minutes in his first two games, along with 13.5 runs, 115 metres and 27.5 tackles.

Asked whether the bearded prop needed to roll up his sleeves, Ennis replied: “Absolutely. The Roosters really targeted their centre-third the other day and it had great value.

“When your coach comes out over the summer and says ‘I want the Dogs of War back’ ... Dean Pay was one of the household names at Canterbury for his toughness, and he wants to resemble that in his football side.

“I haven’t seen that from Aaron Woods yet, I haven’t seen that in the opening two rounds.

“I want to see him get down and dirty, I want to see him get personal.

“We saw it with young (James) Fisher-Harris and (George) Burgess on the weekend — a young kid standing his ground and welcoming that impact and collision.

“I haven’t seen that from Aaron Woods yet.”


https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... d525a96c04
WTF's self proclaimed #1 anarchist. President of the Michael Chee-Kam fan club

MCK fan club members: hobbo. Spud Murphy. WestsBenTigers. wt01. TigerKapa. TigersBusDriver. Clearyweareone. kh_canada. sheer64. Magpie Magic. tigermac88. LeichhardtTiger. beachtiger. TSupps05. underdog. rex2ce. teddy23. Tigerdon. willow. TrueTiger. tigerbenji.


User avatar
TigerTiger
Member
Member
Posts: 301
Joined: Tue 13 Jun, 2017 4:56 pm

Post by TigerTiger » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 8:29 am

In all honesty, that's not Woods style. He played for us for how long, and I don't think I ever saw that in Woods' play. If the Dogs wanted a leader, if they wanted Woods to be a leader, then they obviously never watched the Tigers play a game of football.

But I guess they showed that when they signed Suli didn't they.
Billy's 300th. Bellamy's 400th. Smith's 500th. Daughter's 21st. Nanna's 90th. Meh.
Wests Tigers 4 eva! Thug Life...

NT Tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2491
Joined: Sun 28 Apr, 2013 9:00 am
Location: Sitting in front of the computer (again)

Post by NT Tiger » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 8:37 am

“For me, Aaron Woods at the moment is just knocking out his numbers," Ring any bells?
I reckon I read that a few times on this forum when he was here.
How long will it take the '3 Am-egos' to realise that they were overpriced contributors to the WT past mediocrity?
"Quality Stupidity"

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 37767
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 8:39 am

TigerTiger wrote:
Tue 20 Mar, 2018 8:29 am
In all honesty, that's not Woods style. He played for us for how long, and I don't think I ever saw that in Woods' play. If the Dogs wanted a leader, if they wanted Woods to be a leader, then they obviously never watched the Tigers play a game of football.

But I guess they showed that when they signed Suli didn't they.
Ennis needs to remember that Pay didn't sign the majority of this squad , Hasler did

Woods and Graham are both good players just different styles , but if I had my choice it's James Graham

User avatar
old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 987
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 10:37 am

Post by old man tiger » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 8:45 am

Could say similar about Packer compared to Woods.

Packer's numbers don't look great but you feel it when he is in the field. It's a long season and I don't want to get cocky, so far the only player we lost who is an improvement on what we have is Teddy.


User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 26540
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 9:01 am

Really starting to get over this

bunch of jilted lovers...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

User avatar
Tiger Watto
Member
Member
Posts: 10560
Joined: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: Maroochydore Qld

Post by Tiger Watto » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 9:04 am

Too many head knocks for Michael.

Aaron's numbers are the same, and that was the basis of why they signed him.
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Telltails
Member
Member
Posts: 2114
Joined: Fri 18 Apr, 2014 3:24 pm

Post by Telltails » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 9:05 am

James Graham and Mick Ennis best mates -hardly surprising. Hard to get a word in with Mick Ennis when he is on a panel really irritating and never objective yet all of a sudden his opinion has become relevant.

Woods can expect more of the same until the Dogs turn it around - if they do. It will be the same for all the big signings when we really see where the competition is headed.
Benji best value signing at this pont of comp.- who would have thought

User avatar
Tacky
Member
Member
Posts: 2273
Joined: Sun 26 Mar, 2017 8:11 pm

Post by Tacky » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 9:30 am

Tiger Watto wrote:
Tue 20 Mar, 2018 9:04 am
Too many head knocks for Michael.

Aaron's numbers are the same, and that was the basis of why they signed him.
Thats almost right. His numbers are a little down on what they were last year. But, the main point is, the rest of the Dog's pack is playing poorly so, Aaron Woods is completely ineffective. He needs to play with aggressive forwards to balance out the forward pack with his workhorse style of play. But, if the rest of them don't bring the aggression or leadership, he's just churning out his numbers.

Also, they're paying $800k for him. We have Eiso and Twal doing the exact same job and how much are we paying them? I'd say their combined salaries aren't $800k.
WTF's self proclaimed #1 anarchist. President of the Michael Chee-Kam fan club

MCK fan club members: hobbo. Spud Murphy. WestsBenTigers. wt01. TigerKapa. TigersBusDriver. Clearyweareone. kh_canada. sheer64. Magpie Magic. tigermac88. LeichhardtTiger. beachtiger. TSupps05. underdog. rex2ce. teddy23. Tigerdon. willow. TrueTiger. tigerbenji.

User avatar
Tiger Watto
Member
Member
Posts: 10560
Joined: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: Maroochydore Qld

Post by Tiger Watto » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 9:57 am

Tacky wrote:
Tue 20 Mar, 2018 9:30 am
Tiger Watto wrote:
Tue 20 Mar, 2018 9:04 am
Too many head knocks for Michael.

Aaron's numbers are the same, and that was the basis of why they signed him.
Thats almost right. His numbers are a little down on what they were last year. But, the main point is, the rest of the Dog's pack is playing poorly so, Aaron Woods is completely ineffective. He needs to play with aggressive forwards to balance out the forward pack with his workhorse style of play. But, if the rest of them don't bring the aggression or leadership, he's just churning out his numbers.

Also, they're paying $800k for him. We have Eiso and Twal doing the exact same job and how much are we paying them? I'd say their combined salaries aren't $800k.
I think comparing Twal & Eiso value to Woods is irrelevant.

Woods will never be that aggressive player, and the Bulldogs knew what they were going to get out of him.

They are probably more than happy with there return on the Woods investment.
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 26540
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 10:00 am

Wins are the only 'numbers' that matter..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 5176
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 10:07 am

It would be idiotic to purchase Aaron Woods and expect him to suddenly be some kind of enforcer. Never has been and I expect never will be.

As others have said, he has a big motor, can get big metres, makes a good share of tackles, is hard to bring down and has a decent offload. The downside of this is he is slow to PTB, does not put on many big hits and in no way physically dominates other packs. He's more like a tree than a bear, he does his work and is tough to pull down, but you don't get out-and-out aggression.

So Ennis is kidding himself if he wants Woods to play like Graham, they aren't the same kind of footballer. Graham's doing just fine after 2 games but he's smaller than Woods, wearies as the season goes on and doesn't have the physical presence in his carries.

Woods isn't stepping into Graham's shoes, he is replacing Graham. Same as Packerlino aren't stepping into Woods' shoes. Dogs had a formula in 2017 that they didn't think worked / didn't like, and changed it up. Plenty of rounds left still to see if the change-up will have a positive outcome.

Also, off-field instability surely doesn't help, how about Dogs figure that out as well?

Pawsandclaws
Member
Member
Posts: 2624
Joined: Sat 20 Jun, 2015 5:53 pm

Post by Pawsandclaws » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 10:34 am

Everytime I see a picture or read about one of these three, the happier I am that they no longer play for our club.

hobbo
Member
Member
Posts: 7562
Joined: Mon 10 Mar, 2014 5:03 pm

Post by hobbo » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 10:52 am

Geo. wrote:
Tue 20 Mar, 2018 9:01 am
Really starting to get over this

bunch of jilted lovers...
I thought you were right into these fluff stories :lol:

Fifty shades
Mills and Boon
Sharon woods

:roll
Last edited by hobbo on Tue 20 Mar, 2018 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Offical member of the MCK fan club.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 3547
Joined: Fri 07 Jun, 2013 7:33 pm

Post by formerguest » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 10:53 am

He has never been that player, but he has talked the talk of going to play a rugged enforcer role at the dogs, so time to walk.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 3547
Joined: Fri 07 Jun, 2013 7:33 pm

Post by formerguest » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 10:56 am

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Tue 20 Mar, 2018 10:34 am
Everytime I see a picture or read about one of these three, the happier I am that they no longer play for our club.
Add Ava as he chose to go as well and collectively the four of them have one win from eight appearances. Loving it big time thus far.

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 26540
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 10:59 am

hobbo wrote:
Tue 20 Mar, 2018 10:52 am
Geo. wrote:
Tue 20 Mar, 2018 9:01 am
Really starting to get over this

bunch of jilted lovers...
I thought you were right into these fluff stories :lol:
No i mean over everytime Woods cuts his hair Teddy sips a latte or Slimey fart farts people feel the need to post it on Our Forum like jilted lovers..

We even had someone start a Woods thread in the Storm match forum..

Focus on the players we have busting their arse for us in 2018 imo even our fluff...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 37767
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Tue 20 Mar, 2018 11:10 am

Geo. wrote:
Tue 20 Mar, 2018 10:59 am
hobbo wrote:
Tue 20 Mar, 2018 10:52 am
Geo. wrote:
Tue 20 Mar, 2018 9:01 am
Really starting to get over this

bunch of jilted lovers...
I thought you were right into these fluff stories :lol:
No i mean over everytime Woods cuts his hair Teddy sips a latte or Slimey fart farts people feel the need to post it on Our Forum like jilted lovers..

We even had someone start a Woods thread in the Storm match forum..

Focus on the players we have busting their arse for us in 2018 imo even our fluff...
Yeah

Ancient History

We are creating our own future , looking back isn't helping anyone , the big three have dug their own graves , let them live in them now

Post Reply