Referees and commentators

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
krayola
Member
Member
Posts: 738
Joined: Sat 26 Jun, 2010 10:12 am

Referees and commentators

Post by krayola » Fri 30 Mar, 2018 10:16 pm

Is the reffing really that bad? The Klein call last week aside, has it been any worse than other years? Are the commentators blowing it out of proportion?

The refs are somewhat doing their job, enforcing the rules. When they don’t do it, commentators complain. Now when they do, commentators complain. What the ‘great’ minds of Johns and Gould have not said is how the refs should do their job.

Gould has gone too far. I honestly don’t want to watch the broadcast anymore, not because of the footy (I’ll always watch it) but because 9 have empowered Gould to shoot down other people’s careers. Politics and agendas aren’t interesting. Shut up and call the game.

The nerve of commentators to state over and over that the refereeing isn’t what fans want. If it isn’t what we want then why keep talking about it? I don’t want to continue being reminded that some talking heads don’t like the way the game is being run. How about they focus on the good, not the bad?
One of my sources is Pascoe


User avatar
Tiger Steve
Member
Member
Posts: 2132
Joined: Wed 29 Mar, 2017 5:30 pm
Location: Chatswood West

Post by Tiger Steve » Fri 30 Mar, 2018 10:19 pm

I’m a fan. No one asked me what I like! They are not speaking for me nor many others I’d suggest
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

User avatar
old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 1249
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 10:37 am

Post by old man tiger » Fri 30 Mar, 2018 10:20 pm

It doesn't suit the clubs, you can not trust Gould on these issues because he can't see his own bias.

hobbo
Member
Member
Posts: 10207
Joined: Mon 10 Mar, 2014 5:03 pm

Post by hobbo » Fri 30 Mar, 2018 10:25 pm

Commentaters need to get more professional and have less of a biased opinion on the game .

Players need to conform to the rules better .
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

tiga4eva
Member
Member
Posts: 2072
Joined: Sun 27 Sep, 2009 8:09 pm

Post by tiga4eva » Fri 30 Mar, 2018 10:27 pm

Somethings gotta give. The amount of penalties is killing every game as a spectacle


User avatar
Chicken Faced Killa
Member
Member
Posts: 2042
Joined: Mon 17 Apr, 2017 8:19 pm

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Fri 30 Mar, 2018 10:28 pm

Gould has an agenda to run 100%.

He wants a certain thing to happen (the refs backing off) and he is using his media role to push it.

He showed he has not idea when he started talking about junior refs having to blow a lot of penalties as due to safe play penalties can get out of control there. Besides that kids listen to and follow ref instruction a lot quick than these NRL players seem to.

WswWt
Member
Member
Posts: 811
Joined: Mon 11 Feb, 2013 1:27 pm

Post by WswWt » Fri 30 Mar, 2018 10:28 pm

Has anyone watched park footy recently? This is the way it is reffed at junior level. Multiple sin bins, send offs and penalties for stupendess stuff. The refs cop a hammering by the spectators

User avatar
Chicken Faced Killa
Member
Member
Posts: 2042
Joined: Mon 17 Apr, 2017 8:19 pm

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Fri 30 Mar, 2018 10:30 pm

hobbo wrote:
Fri 30 Mar, 2018 10:25 pm
Commentaters need to get more professional and have less of a biased opinion on the game .

Players need to conform to the rules better .
This 100%

hobbo
Member
Member
Posts: 10207
Joined: Mon 10 Mar, 2014 5:03 pm

Post by hobbo » Fri 30 Mar, 2018 10:30 pm

tiga4eva wrote:
Fri 30 Mar, 2018 10:27 pm
Somethings gotta give. The amount of penalties is killing every game as a spectacle
It's only round 4 , it will improve .
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

User avatar
Chicken Faced Killa
Member
Member
Posts: 2042
Joined: Mon 17 Apr, 2017 8:19 pm

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Fri 30 Mar, 2018 10:37 pm

hobbo wrote:
Fri 30 Mar, 2018 10:30 pm
tiga4eva wrote:
Fri 30 Mar, 2018 10:27 pm
Somethings gotta give. The amount of penalties is killing every game as a spectacle
It's only round 4 , it will improve .
Yep as the players and coaches adhere to the rules.

If you think about what Gould was saying he basically said that the refs didn’t give them time to prepare to play by the rules.

I’m going to paraphrase a little here.
He said something like “the refs came down to training and said that we are focusing on foot on ball as you play the ball. But they discovered that that slowed down the speed of the play the ball and the players were moving off the line quicker - they didn’t warn us they were going to crack down on that”

What he is really saying is the coaches didn’t adjust their line speed with the reduced ruck speed and expected the refs to just let the players rush up and shut down all play so that all that can occur is dummy half runs or one out plays. The coaches have to read the game and adjust accordingly.

hobbo
Member
Member
Posts: 10207
Joined: Mon 10 Mar, 2014 5:03 pm

Post by hobbo » Fri 30 Mar, 2018 10:41 pm

Chicken Faced Killa wrote:
Fri 30 Mar, 2018 10:37 pm
hobbo wrote:
Fri 30 Mar, 2018 10:30 pm
tiga4eva wrote:
Fri 30 Mar, 2018 10:27 pm
Somethings gotta give. The amount of penalties is killing every game as a spectacle
It's only round 4 , it will improve .
Yep as the players and coaches adhere to the rules.

If you think about what Gould was saying he basically said that the refs didn’t give them time to prepare to play by the rules.

I’m going to paraphrase a little here.
He said something like “the refs came down to training and said that we are focusing on foot on ball as you play the ball. But they discovered that that slowed down the speed of the play the ball and the players were moving off the line quicker - they didn’t warn us they were going to crack down on that”

What he is really saying is the coaches didn’t adjust their line speed with the reduced ruck speed and expected the refs to just let the players rush up and shut down all play so that all that can occur is dummy half runs or one out plays. The coaches have to read the game and adjust accordingly.
Fair enough ...
Although having Fox I haven't watched or listen to Gould in decades lol
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

Telltails
Member
Member
Posts: 2827
Joined: Fri 18 Apr, 2014 3:24 pm

Post by Telltails » Fri 30 Mar, 2018 10:41 pm

Just wondering why this year suddenly the way Melbourne play the game is no longer acceptable!

Red88 Tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 189
Joined: Fri 08 Dec, 2017 5:37 pm

Post by Red88 Tiger » Fri 30 Mar, 2018 10:44 pm

Gould is a knob John's is an even bigger knob. There is some merit in what they say but no grandstanding required.

hobbo
Member
Member
Posts: 10207
Joined: Mon 10 Mar, 2014 5:03 pm

Post by hobbo » Fri 30 Mar, 2018 10:48 pm

Telltails wrote:
Fri 30 Mar, 2018 10:41 pm
Just wondering why this year suddenly the way Melbourne play the game is no longer acceptable!
It is acceptable IMO ( except the wrestle ) .
They're just an average team without Cronk and like every other team they need to get used to the way the refs police the game .
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 4142
Joined: Fri 07 Jun, 2013 7:33 pm

Post by formerguest » Fri 30 Mar, 2018 11:47 pm

Telltails wrote:
Fri 30 Mar, 2018 10:41 pm
Just wondering why this year suddenly the way Melbourne play the game is no longer acceptable!
Better late than never. Maybe they have finally begun listening to people like me that had enough a decade or so ago and no longer watch games that certain teams play, unless of course they are playing the one that they support.

Watching and enjoying the English comp Hull local derby in the background as I type, having avoided this evenings local product because of the wrestle and two refs, with the extra one that was originally brought in to oversee the ruck.

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 41561
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm
Location: Watching Waiting Lurking

Post by happy tiger » Fri 30 Mar, 2018 11:53 pm

Refs can't win

Don't impose the rules they cop it

Now they do impose the rules and they cop it

Players and coaches have got to accept this is how it will be and change

How hard is it , not if the players don't understand the 10 metres rule , strip rule , standing square , playing the ball with your foot

Coaches are just full of it , we didn't get enough time ......are you kidding me ...... when they bend the rules they work it out within a week

Seantice
Member
Member
Posts: 1625
Joined: Mon 13 Mar, 2017 9:00 pm

Post by Seantice » Sat 31 Mar, 2018 12:01 am

:righton: I actually like it. Hope the refs stick to there guns because last year was a joke honestly. It was more like touch footy in the ruck area. Keep on hammering the teams until they get the picture. Start using sinbin more as well.

tiger85
Member
Member
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue 08 Mar, 2011 7:20 pm

Post by tiger85 » Sat 31 Mar, 2018 12:03 am

for yrs we have been asking refs to penalize every 1 the same.. now they are and we are shouting stop
Balmain Born Wests Sworn!!!!!

Post Reply