Brisbane’s Suncorp Stadium to host a full round of NRL across four days in 2019

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
WestsBenTigers

Brisbane’s Suncorp Stadium to host a full round of NRL across four days in 2019

Post by WestsBenTigers » Fri 13 Apr, 2018 5:34 pm

April 13, 2018 9:51am
by STAFF WRITERS
Source: FOX SPORTS

THE Suncorp Stadium double-header is set to be upsized.

Replicating the Super League ‘Magic Weekend’ that has been part of the rugby league calendar in Great Britain since 2007, all 16 teams will feature in eight games of an NRL round to be played at Brisbane’s Suncorp Stadium across four days.

According to a report by Channel Seven, the NRL are set to schedule the historic round in May next year, taking the place of the double-header that will be played for a third straight year in Round 10 having drawn more than 95,000 fans the past two years.

Some 150,000 supporters could flood through the Suncorp Stadium gates across the four days, former Broncos and Queensland great Trevor Gillmeister seeing it as a reward to Queensland’s loyal rugby league fanbase.

“I think it’s a sensational idea and people will turn up in their droves,” Gillmeister told Channel Seven.

“It’s a reward for the amount of times they turn up to Broncos games and State of Origin games.”

When the NRL Grand Final was locked into Sydney until 2042, the Queensland Government turned its attention to the ‘Magic Week’ concept with economic benefits estimated at close to $20 million.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... e96546aed6

Chicken Faced Killa

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Fri 13 Apr, 2018 5:58 pm

Will be interesting to see how it turns out and how many people go to watch a days worth of games.

Hopefully they use the novelty of the event to play lower drawing games and split the gate between all teams over the weekend.

Will this be an additional round or will some teams lose a home game?

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Fri 13 Apr, 2018 6:45 pm

If this results in us missing three home games I won’t be forking out for a membership
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

LARDS

Post by LARDS » Fri 13 Apr, 2018 7:02 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Fri 13 Apr, 2018 6:45 pm
If this results in us missing three home games I won’t be forking out for a membership
It's one weekend so it would be one home game or maybe none.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Fri 13 Apr, 2018 7:03 pm

Reminds me of the League-a-thon at the SCG in the 70's...me and a schoolmate went on one of the days

Snake

Post by Snake » Fri 13 Apr, 2018 7:03 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
The ANZ hand out ends this season ,so the club are going to have to make money anyway they can.
I would imagine that both Liechardt and Campbelltown will lose more games to this end! They do not make a return dollar wise and the only way the club will survive is making a profit.
The hard choices and the inevitable upsetting of some supporters will come later in the season about what is happening ground wise next season IMO as the ANZ hand outs are over .

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Fri 13 Apr, 2018 7:12 pm

LARDS wrote:
Fri 13 Apr, 2018 7:02 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
Currently we have lost 2 home games to Tamworth and New Zealand. If we do this again and Suncorp is a home game, that’s three.

LARDS

Post by LARDS » Fri 13 Apr, 2018 8:01 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Fri 13 Apr, 2018 7:12 pm
LARDS wrote:
Fri 13 Apr, 2018 7:02 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
Currently we have lost 2 home games to Tamworth and New Zealand. If we do this again and Suncorp is a home game, that’s three.
See your point.
That would be no good unless the membership fees were reduced.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Fri 13 Apr, 2018 9:05 pm

Snake wrote:
Fri 13 Apr, 2018 7:03 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
The ANZ hand out ends this season ,so the club are going to have to make money anyway they can.
I would imagine that both Liechardt and Campbelltown will lose more games to this end! They do not make a return dollar wise and the only way the club will survive is making a profit.
The hard choices and the inevitable upsetting of some supporters will come later in the season about what is happening ground wise next season IMO as the ANZ hand outs are over .
Thought we signed a 10 year deal about 4 or 5 years back

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Fri 13 Apr, 2018 9:21 pm

Good idea...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Fri 13 Apr, 2018 9:21 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Fri 13 Apr, 2018 9:05 pm
Snake wrote:
Tiger Steve wrote:
A guy on one of the Facebook pages said that those deals were front loaded. So we made lots of money in the early years but nothing after this year.
Is that the case Snake?

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Fri 13 Apr, 2018 9:44 pm

Where's all the coin gone?

Snake

Post by Snake » Fri 13 Apr, 2018 9:52 pm

gallagher wrote:
Fri 13 Apr, 2018 9:21 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Fri 13 Apr, 2018 9:05 pm
Snake wrote:
Tiger Steve wrote:
A guy on one of the Facebook pages said that those deals were front loaded. So we made lots of money in the early years but nothing after this year.
Is that the case Snake?
The State Government apparently has bought the ANZ stake holders out of there contract ,it is to do with the rebuilding of the stadiums as this was the premise moving forward to own them ...Hence the last year of the hand outs to ALL clubs ,I have no idea about front loading .The government also wants another club to play out of the new stadium at Parramatta I would imagine this will come with inducements.

joebob

Post by joebob » Fri 13 Apr, 2018 10:11 pm

I think this is a great idea. Always was jealous of what they were doing in the UK. Have flagged it with my friends, and we are all keen to go.

Yes it may cost us another home game, but it will be good for the pocket and the game in general.

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Fri 13 Apr, 2018 10:18 pm

Every NRL player on the Gold Coast on the same weekend. Great idea! What could possibly go wrong?!

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Fri 13 Apr, 2018 10:28 pm

We would have had to be compensated.

The WTs share initiative I read about last week should hopefully convert any shortfall and then some

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Fri 13 Apr, 2018 10:36 pm

Snake wrote:
Fri 13 Apr, 2018 9:52 pm
.The government also wants another club to play out of the new stadium at Parramatta I would imagine this will come with inducements.
This would be the way to go for the Wests Tigers.

Just insist it is renamed and the name has nothing to do with the Eels and all will be good.
Its an opinion!

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Sat 14 Apr, 2018 3:14 pm

WestsBenTigers wrote:
Fri 13 Apr, 2018 5:34 pm
April 13, 2018 9:51am
by STAFF WRITERS
Source: FOX SPORTS

THE Suncorp Stadium double-header is set to be upsized.

Replicating the Super League ‘Magic Weekend’ that has been part of the rugby league calendar in Great Britain since 2007, all 16 teams will feature in eight games of an NRL round to be played at Brisbane’s Suncorp Stadium across four days.

According to a report by Channel Seven, the NRL are set to schedule the historic round in May next year, taking the place of the double-header that will be played for a third straight year in Round 10 having drawn more than 95,000 fans the past two years.

Some 150,000 supporters could flood through the Suncorp Stadium gates across the four days, former Broncos and Queensland great Trevor Gillmeister seeing it as a reward to Queensland’s loyal rugby league fanbase.

“I think it’s a sensational idea and people will turn up in their droves,” Gillmeister told Channel Seven.

“It’s a reward for the amount of times they turn up to Broncos games and State of Origin games.”

When the NRL Grand Final was locked into Sydney until 2042, the Queensland Government turned its attention to the ‘Magic Week’ concept with economic benefits estimated at close to $20 million.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... e96546aed6
"Reward for showing up to Broncos games"..... get your hand off it Gilly. Bandwagoners turn up to watch the Broncos games because for nearly the entirety of the Broncos existence the club has operated outside the salary cap thus allowing the stockpiling of talent enabling them to be successful every year. Let's see how many of these sheep bother to go watch the Broncos if/when they are scraping the bottom of the ladder.