Refs giving 10m penalties on the line

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
User avatar
TIGER
Member
Member
Posts: 3499
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 10:40 am

Refs giving 10m penalties on the line

Post by TIGER » Sun 13 May, 2018 5:42 pm

Is anyone else noticing and find it annoying that refs this year seem to love blowing 10m penalties against teams defending their own line?
A team will bust their gut to hold a player out and seemingly for no reason you'll hear a whistle blow and be thinking to yourself "what the hell is that for?"
Then you find the ref has called someone hasn't put a foot on the line.

It annoys me to no end. Its such a nitpicky penalty that just disrupts the game.


Nelson
Member
Member
Posts: 3493
Joined: Sat 31 Oct, 2015 11:17 am

Post by Nelson » Sun 13 May, 2018 5:47 pm

TIGER wrote:
Sun 13 May, 2018 5:42 pm
Is anyone else noticing and find it annoying that refs this year seem to love blowing 10m penalties against teams defending their own line?
A team will bust their gut to hold a player out and seemingly for no reason you'll hear a whistle blow and be thinking to yourself "what the hell is that for?"
Then you find the ref has called someone hasn't put a foot on the line.

It annoys me to no end. Its such a nitpicky penalty that just disrupts the game.
I think it's just more noticeable because they're playing the advantage this season to try to discourage teams from doing it. It's not doing much of a job of discouraging teams so far...

User avatar
TIGER
Member
Member
Posts: 3499
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 10:40 am

Post by TIGER » Sun 13 May, 2018 6:00 pm

Yeah they're playing advantage on it but it's just so annoying to watch and it seems to be happening a lot

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29870
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Sun 13 May, 2018 6:01 pm

Don't leave the line early...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

User avatar
Milky
Member
Member
Posts: 5343
Joined: Fri 29 Mar, 2013 7:08 pm

Post by Milky » Sun 13 May, 2018 6:24 pm

Yep, hate it.

Let the game flow


Nelson
Member
Member
Posts: 3493
Joined: Sat 31 Oct, 2015 11:17 am

Post by Nelson » Sun 13 May, 2018 6:43 pm

Milky wrote:
Sun 13 May, 2018 6:24 pm
Yep, hate it.

Let the game flow
But...it's a penalty? If they stop calling it then all teams will do it all the time...

User avatar
Tiger Steve
Member
Member
Posts: 2106
Joined: Wed 29 Mar, 2017 5:30 pm
Location: Chatswood West

Post by Tiger Steve » Sun 13 May, 2018 6:49 pm

The responsibility is with players and coaches. We shouldn’t criticise referees for refereeing to the rules. It has become an art to manipulate the rules to gain every advantage. Holding down in play the ball, not standing square, walking off the mark, standing offside, forward passes, incorrect play the ball - all treated with athspy by players and coaches. There’s no respect for refs because they don’t enforce the rules. Refs need to grow a pair (as they did rounds 1-5) and players need to pull their heads in. Just my opinion but a strong one!!
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

User avatar
TIGER
Member
Member
Posts: 3499
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 10:40 am

Post by TIGER » Sun 13 May, 2018 7:23 pm

At the moment it seems that if teams aren't giving away a penalty at the ruck deliberately to force sides to take the 2 points, the ref will blow one 2 plays later for a 10m infringement.

It'll be interesting to see if this happens in SOO, I can already see fans blowing up when a ref blows a penalty in the 77th minute to decide a series because someone on the opposite side of the play goes a millisecond early or doesn't get their foot back the extra 10mm.
I want games decided by players not pedantic refs

bathursttiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2914
Joined: Thu 02 Dec, 2010 5:21 pm

Post by bathursttiger » Sun 13 May, 2018 7:26 pm

Fans wanted the play the ball and off side cleaned up, but when the refs try and clean up these areas everyone whinges.

Nelson
Member
Member
Posts: 3493
Joined: Sat 31 Oct, 2015 11:17 am

Post by Nelson » Sun 13 May, 2018 7:30 pm

TIGER wrote:
Sun 13 May, 2018 7:23 pm
At the moment it seems that if teams aren't giving away a penalty at the ruck deliberately to force sides to take the 2 points, the ref will blow one 2 plays later for a 10m infringement.

It'll be interesting to see if this happens in SOO, I can already see fans blowing up when a ref blows a penalty in the 77th minute to decide a series because someone on the opposite side of the play goes a millisecond early or doesn't get their foot back the extra 10mm.
I want games decided by players not pedantic refs
How many of the calls are actually pedantic though? Teams are often blatantly infringing and going very early behind the ref's back where they think they won't be pinged...or lazy/sloppy players are never getting back to the line near the ruck right where the ref is paying attention. I agree that it's annoying but I tend to agree with Steve that it's the players just constantly pushing things too far or being plain dumb in their play.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 4130
Joined: Fri 07 Jun, 2013 7:33 pm

Post by formerguest » Sun 13 May, 2018 7:31 pm

TIGER wrote:
Sun 13 May, 2018 5:42 pm
Is anyone else noticing and find it annoying that refs this year seem to love blowing 10m penalties against teams defending their own line?
A team will bust their gut to hold a player out and seemingly for no reason you'll hear a whistle blow and be thinking to yourself "what the hell is that for?"
Then you find the ref has called someone hasn't put a foot on the line.

It annoys me to no end. Its such a nitpicky penalty that just disrupts the game.
I've got little problem with such penalties, but have a big problem with Elijah getting ten in the bin for supposedly leaving early after having made the effort to be on said line.

hobbo
Member
Member
Posts: 10196
Joined: Mon 10 Mar, 2014 5:03 pm

Post by hobbo » Sun 13 May, 2018 7:32 pm

bathursttiger wrote:
Sun 13 May, 2018 7:26 pm
Fans wanted the play the ball and off side cleaned up, but when the refs try and clean up these areas everyone whinges.
Agreed ...but typically the refs have taken it too far like there usual power trips .
Cummins hammered the raiders today .
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

bathursttiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2914
Joined: Thu 02 Dec, 2010 5:21 pm

Post by bathursttiger » Sun 13 May, 2018 7:44 pm

hobbo wrote:
Sun 13 May, 2018 7:32 pm
bathursttiger wrote:
Sun 13 May, 2018 7:26 pm
Fans wanted the play the ball and off side cleaned up, but when the refs try and clean up these areas everyone whinges.
Agreed ...but typically the refs have taken it too far like there usual power trips .
Cummins hammered the raiders today .
I agree some of the refs are way over doing it, just to be the centre of attention.
Others are inclined to let the game flow a bit.
Missed the Raiders game, had a SCAN, (Senior Citizen Afternoon Nap)

User avatar
Chicken Faced Killa
Member
Member
Posts: 2042
Joined: Mon 17 Apr, 2017 8:19 pm

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Sun 13 May, 2018 7:59 pm

Can’t believe people see this as an issue and are blaming the refs. It’s the players who aren’t doing the right thing and need to follow the rules. It’s not that hard to put your on the line. The refs are blowing them for people making a genuine attempt it’s the players who are rushing early or not attempting to get back.

voice of reason
Member
Member
Posts: 348
Joined: Sat 09 Aug, 2014 10:35 pm

Post by voice of reason » Sun 13 May, 2018 8:41 pm

The only issue is they wait for three offences, then give a warning, then bin someone. Warn all the coaches in advance, then bin someone on the first offence (when it's inside the 10) and it will stop within a week.
Players only continue doing it because they know they can.
Suffering supporter since 1967

User avatar
Tiger Steve
Member
Member
Posts: 2106
Joined: Wed 29 Mar, 2017 5:30 pm
Location: Chatswood West

Post by Tiger Steve » Sun 13 May, 2018 9:28 pm

bathursttiger wrote:
Sun 13 May, 2018 7:26 pm
Fans wanted the play the ball and off side cleaned up, but when the refs try and clean up these areas everyone whinges.
Exactly this!!!
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 29693
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Sun 13 May, 2018 9:33 pm

Whats annoying is the inconsistency from refs on it...dont just do it half the time

All or none

Snake
Member
Member
Posts: 5210
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 5:37 pm

Post by Snake » Sun 13 May, 2018 9:39 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Sun 13 May, 2018 9:28 pm
bathursttiger wrote:
Sun 13 May, 2018 7:26 pm
Fans wanted the play the ball and off side cleaned up, but when the refs try and clean up these areas everyone whinges.
Exactly this!!!
So why are the Tigers the only club that are getting consistently put in the bin ...how many penalties whete blown in the same situation this weekend and by many teams NO BINS go figure this is the frustrating part.

Post Reply