Did we stuff the June 30 or what

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
colmcd

Did we stuff the June 30 or what

Post by colmcd » Fri 29 Jun, 2018 8:47 pm

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/bulldo ... 4zoaq.html

So the Bulldogs have cut Woods and Mbye. We get Mbye and Sharks get Woods to add to Ava, Prior, Graham, Fifita and a big forward pack.

We sign mbye a 750,000K player with some loading from the dogs.
The Dogs instead sign Sean Meaney from Newcastle...

IMHO, this is a big call but. We got the Raw end of the deal!

Why?

Mbye is No where near a 500K player. Des and the Dogs payed above and beyond for him.

Now I hope I am wrong! I also recognize that First grade fullbacks are at a premium. But I don't see Mbye as an upgrade or a fullback we want to build around.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 29 Jun, 2018 8:50 pm

The jury is out on whether Mbye is our long term fullback. Especially a young gun come through.

swag tiger

Post by swag tiger » Fri 29 Jun, 2018 8:52 pm

It's only his first season playing fullback. Give it another season before you say he isn't a upgrade.
I have family in Balmain and the Western suburbs so i guess that makes me a Balmain Westie

Winner of FIFA world cup LMS 2018 Winner of WTF Draft 2

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Fri 29 Jun, 2018 8:54 pm

colmcd wrote:
Fri 29 Jun, 2018 8:47 pm
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/bulldo ... 4zoaq.html

So the Bulldogs have cut Woods and Mbye. We get Mbye and Sharks get Woods to add to Ava, Prior, Graham, Fifita and a big forward pack.

We sign mbye a 750,000K player with some loading from the dogs.
The Dogs instead sign Sean Meaney from Newcastle...

IMHO, this is a big call but. We got the Raw end of the deal!

Why?

Mbye is No where near a 500K player. Des and the Dogs payed above and beyond for him.

Now I hope I am wrong! I also recognize that First grade fullbacks are at a premium. But I don't see Mbye as an upgrade or a fullback we want to build around.
It's Nick Meaney, not Sean...

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Fri 29 Jun, 2018 10:10 pm

Oatley Dog from the Kennel

https://www.thekennel.net.au/forum/inde ... 070/page-2

If you are talking about Graham 3 years ago sure, but today Graham is not much more than a benchie. His tackles are largely ineffective, he runs sidewards still and I haven't missed him this year at all. Woods has more upside being 4 years younger. Hasn't worked out for him with us but that doesn't mean he isn't a good player. he was making 200+ m a game last year for the Tigers so even if his team was ordinary he was giving it to the opposition with no-one else for them to aim up against. Maybe he is just a Tiger at heart and couldn't make the transition to a new team after all this time. Not the first bloke to do that.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe Woods was a genuine Tiger but ....
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Fri 29 Jun, 2018 10:19 pm

Jesus he hasn't even had a run for us yet... At least wait til we lose to get the knives out

dazza65

Post by dazza65 » Fri 29 Jun, 2018 10:22 pm

Sigh........... :roll:
----------------------------------------------
Tigers?!? - Driven mad since - 1969-201?

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sat 30 Jun, 2018 7:33 am

I actually think we've managed Jun 30 quite well. Tactical signings with immediate effect, tactical releases also with immediate effect.

Can't think of another year when there has been such a strong and focused mid-year recruitment for us, of quality first-grade ready players. Signing Tui mid last year worked out pretty well for 2017 and Mbye and Farah are both superior to Tui.

More dead wood cut, clearing out bits of salary cap space we know we won't be using. Very tidy.

tigerbenji

Post by tigerbenji » Sat 30 Jun, 2018 8:22 am

I like Mbye, he strengthens the Fullback position & can play other positions & allows Thompson to move to the Wing & strengthens that position.

Snake

Post by Snake » Sat 30 Jun, 2018 8:22 am

jirskyr wrote:
Sat 30 Jun, 2018 7:33 am
I actually think we've managed Jun 30 quite well. Tactical signings with immediate effect, tactical releases also with immediate effect.

Can't think of another year when there has been such a strong and focused mid-year recruitment for us, of quality first-grade ready players. Signing Tui mid last year worked out pretty well for 2017 and Mbye and Farah are both superior to Tui.

More dead wood cut, clearing out bits of salary cap space we know we won't be using. Very tidy.
X2 ...I thought the club has done well Re the 30th deadline...the additional and upgrades to contracts were positives moves .

Onthebus

Post by Onthebus » Sun 01 Jul, 2018 10:35 am

Must say the Sharks are the new Rorters, how much free money do they have and there is talk Peptide Gallen wants to go around for another year.

We have done well with the June 30 deadline, I'm happy with the additions in attack and defence

Sabre

Post by Sabre » Sun 01 Jul, 2018 10:38 am

I think we took great advantage of it. Especially with the Dogs cap problem. We ended up getting Mbye with Bulldogs footing a large portion of the bill.
Hooker has also been our biggest weakness this season, Farah coming back solves that absolutely.

I'm very happy with our midseason signings.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Sun 01 Jul, 2018 10:46 am

I have a general concern around the length of contracts we are offering our signings (not just the June 30 signings). We are paying good money for established 1st graders, but not necessarily dominant or game changing players.

Sometime you need to take a bit if a risk. Newcastles signing of Ponga looks like being a masterstroke. You can build a side around him for the next decade. Can't say the same for Matulino, Reynolds, Packer, Mbye etc