Coaching Corner

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
Byron Bay Fan

Coaching Corner

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Sat 30 Jun, 2018 5:23 am

from the Kennel, showing some strategy I have not come across before. We do get a mention as well as many other teams.

https://www.thekennel.net.au/forum/inde ... 079/page-6

Deathspell
Sharks forwards chain passing and successful 2nd phase play is going to suit Woods.
In 2017, Wests had the highest number of passes between forwards, one of the reasons Woods looked good. Wests biggest issue was incomplete sets, resulting from pushed 2nd phase play, something the Sharks are more disciplined at.

Time will tell if the Sharks, now in possession of the best ball playing pack, can integrate this chain passing and successful 2nd phase play, with their fast heavy spine shifts and roving five-eight.

Souths have been able to accomplish this, by limiting each forward to touch the ball once per set.
This keeps the props and lock fresh and together the heavy hitters, bombard the defense on one edge in waves and numbers.
Thus dragging and compressing the opposing forwards from the middle to this edge.
Using their whole spine with fast heavy shifts, they expose channels and exploit overlaps from middle to the other edge.

This style could have worked well for us if Klemmer was encouraged to off-load more and we had a ball playing lock, instead of using workhorses and a 2nd rower. Des started experimenting with this style, which was created by Bellamy, by trying to develop Klemmer as a lock. Although we had a good ball playing prop in Graham, Tolman was found wanting and Kasiano/Eastwood were too unfit, the reason he overextended the cap and got Woods. If we didn't lose Graham to Saints, I believe our season would have been a lot different. But like they say " In hindsight, we are all great coaches ".
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sat 30 Jun, 2018 6:13 am

Appropriately referenced.

Chicken Faced Killa

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Sat 30 Jun, 2018 7:27 am

jirskyr wrote:
Sat 30 Jun, 2018 6:13 am
Appropriately referenced.
Yes we must make sure we provide full referencing to the journalist at The Kennel

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Sat 30 Jun, 2018 7:33 am

The part I found interesting was this: Souths have been able to accomplish this, by limiting each forward to touch the ball once per set.

It does allow the opposition to guess by deduction which forward is more likely to get the ball but that is probably only a minor disadvantage.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Chicken Faced Killa

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Sat 30 Jun, 2018 7:37 am

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Sat 30 Jun, 2018 7:33 am
The part I found interesting was this: Souths have been able to accomplish this, by limiting each forward to touch the ball once per set.

It does allow the opposition to guess by deduction which forward is more likely to get the ball but that is probably only a minor disadvantage.
I thought the same thing when I read that. By the powers of deduction you’d know where the ball was going. However, most of the time it is easy to read which direction the play is heading so it may not be an issue.

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Sat 30 Jun, 2018 7:58 am

souths are flying high so it can't be doing them too much damage. But the trick is of course that about twice in a game to use the same forward again in a set.

Russell

Post by Russell » Sat 30 Jun, 2018 8:50 am

Byron Bay Fan wrote:

Obviously Sam Burgess is not included in the forwards that only touch the ball once per set.

oldprop
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by oldprop » Sat 30 Jun, 2018 12:02 pm

Chicken Faced Killa wrote:
Sat 30 Jun, 2018 7:37 am
Byron Bay Fan wrote:

I thought the same thing when I read that. By the powers of deduction you’d know where the ball was going. However, most of the time it is easy to read which direction the play is heading so it may not be an issue.
Love the powers of deduction. I used to have left written on my wrist so I didn’t have to waste time working out which side of the ruck I should be on.
Need more props.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 30 Jun, 2018 12:07 pm

oldprop wrote:
Sat 30 Jun, 2018 12:02 pm
Byron Bay Fan wrote:

Love the powers of deduction. I used to have left written on my wrist so I didn’t have to waste time working out which side of the ruck I should be on.
:roll

I have played with blokes who probably needed front and back written on their jerseys :lol:

oldprop
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by oldprop » Sat 30 Jun, 2018 12:10 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Sat 30 Jun, 2018 12:07 pm
oldprop wrote:
Byron Bay Fan wrote:

I have played with blokes who probably needed front and back written on their jerseys :lol:
Still have to think about it. Important to get it right.
Need more props.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 30 Jun, 2018 12:11 pm

oldprop wrote:
Sat 30 Jun, 2018 12:10 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Sat 30 Jun, 2018 12:07 pm
oldprop wrote:

Still have to think about it. Important to get it right.
Least back in our day we had a collar that helped :D

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Sat 30 Jun, 2018 12:12 pm

Remember that guy who at half time went to the wrong end of the field a few weeks back.

oldprop
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by oldprop » Sat 30 Jun, 2018 12:28 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Sat 30 Jun, 2018 12:12 pm
Remember that guy who at half time went to the wrong end of the field a few weeks back.
Yep, poor old Ava. Felt sorry for him. Thinking too far ahead.
Need more props.

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Sat 07 Jul, 2018 12:32 pm

https://www.thekennel.net.au/forum/inde ... ng.110153/

Oatley Dog
Kennel Addict

Woods on BSB this morning
Don't know if anyone else heard it this morning but Woodsy was on the programme. He does a weekly segment by phone with TK and Loz.

Without getting too much into the nitty gritty I thought the one key comment he made in the interview was when he was asked about the difference when behind on the scoreboard at the Sharks as they were last week and his time with the Tigers and Dogs.

Essentially he said the big difference was that the Sharks were calm and not looking for the 'big plays'. Gall just said to them stick to the plan, play out your sets look for quick play the balls and kick to the corners - our chance will come. He also said that there just seemed to be a level of control in the whole team that wasn't there with either us or the Tigers.

If you think about it, that is the one ingredient that has been missing, probably since Hokko left. Lichaa, Reynolds, Mbye, Frawley, JMK - none of those guys are game controllers. You could even argue that Foran really isn't either. It's not that we don't have reasonable players, it's that we don't have that calm head to control the game.

Even the fact that JJ leads by example rather than by words works against us when we are down.

Maybe young Lewis can step up this year but the reality is without a good game manager and talker we will never get anywhere.
-----------------------------------------

other posters were opposing that it was the ref helping the Sharks