Rd 17 spoilers

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
Needaname
Member
Member
Posts: 1030
Joined: Sun 24 Apr, 2016 1:02 pm

Re: Rd 17 spoilers

Post by Needaname » Sun 08 Jul, 2018 9:21 pm

Nelson wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 9:07 pm
Needaname wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 8:33 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 12:03 pm
Dogs knew something , they have improved since letting a few of their superstars go
The thing is Lachlan Lewis and Ofinkel Ofgen “spelling” couldn’t play this year unless 2 of the top 30 moved on.
I said earlier in the week, I believe the dogs made more drama out of their situation to force a couple of their big name players that didn’t fit in on.
May of been a very different situation if Ray Dib and Des were still in charge. But Woods’ days were numbered the moment Dib lost the election.
Mbye believe it or not had been shopped around for the past 2 years.
I’m not saying his a bad buy for us, he could turn out to be very handy, I just think the dogs planned on moving in a different direction and started to force some hands.
They have some good young players coming through but if you look at any team rebuilding it’s rare that they do it with 5 or 6 high paid - profile players, you usually start to move forwards we a focus on more balanced squad.
It will be interesting to see if they offer the Morris’ a contract. I think Kerrod Holland is an excellent centre in the making.
Kerrod Holland's defence yesterday made Jarrod Croker look like Greg Inglis in his prime. He was awful. Brenko Lee awful.
Definitely his defence isn’t the best.
But he was defending in the middle as a hooker for a while so I don’t think it’s a contact issue, more positioning.
How was Essans defence against Croker? his deceptive Croker and would make most players look silly.


supercoach
Member
Member
Posts: 7168
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 2:38 pm

Post by supercoach » Sun 08 Jul, 2018 9:30 pm

Nelson wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 9:07 pm
Needaname wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 8:33 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 12:03 pm
Dogs knew something , they have improved since letting a few of their superstars go
The thing is Lachlan Lewis and Ofinkel Ofgen “spelling” couldn’t play this year unless 2 of the top 30 moved on.
I said earlier in the week, I believe the dogs made more drama out of their situation to force a couple of their big name players that didn’t fit in on.
May of been a very different situation if Ray Dib and Des were still in charge. But Woods’ days were numbered the moment Dib lost the election.
Mbye believe it or not had been shopped around for the past 2 years.
I’m not saying his a bad buy for us, he could turn out to be very handy, I just think the dogs planned on moving in a different direction and started to force some hands.
They have some good young players coming through but if you look at any team rebuilding it’s rare that they do it with 5 or 6 high paid - profile players, you usually start to move forwards we a focus on more balanced squad.
It will be interesting to see if they offer the Morris’ a contract. I think Kerrod Holland is an excellent centre in the making.
Kerrod Holland's defence yesterday made Jarrod Croker look like Greg Inglis in his prime. He was awful. Brenko Lee awful.
Holland stuffed his shoulder early in the first half so maybe that’s why his D was off. From the little I have seen of him I think he looks like a really good footballer

User avatar
Tiger Steve
Member
Member
Posts: 1996
Joined: Wed 29 Mar, 2017 5:30 pm
Location: Chatswood West

Post by Tiger Steve » Sun 08 Jul, 2018 9:51 pm

supercoach wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 8:56 pm
Of what I have seen over the past few weeks, we are light years behind the top four and a long way behind the top eight.

The game today requires speed, size, power mixed with some real skill and a couple of experienced quality players in key positions.

Penrith and the Bronks have young players queuing up for a crack and we have nothing. Not sure what the answer is but it’s time to start trying to attract some of these kids to our club and give the journeyman a wide berth
I think we’re a long way behind the top 15 at the moment
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29674
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Sun 08 Jul, 2018 10:52 pm

hobbo wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 7:30 pm
Geo. wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 7:23 pm
hobbo wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 7:20 pm
851 wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 5:57 pm

You infered, and Taylors mistakes included not finding touch from a penalty, forward passes, wrong options, all mistakes Brooks makes, and nothing to do with forwards.
Haha

Geo ...owned
you reckon I just see Ash Taylor being not very good...
Why ?
Over hyped
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am

OK I was wrong

hobbo
Member
Member
Posts: 10171
Joined: Mon 10 Mar, 2014 5:03 pm

Post by hobbo » Sun 08 Jul, 2018 10:54 pm

Geo. wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 10:52 pm
hobbo wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 7:30 pm
Geo. wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 7:23 pm
hobbo wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 7:20 pm


Haha

Geo ...owned
you reckon I just see Ash Taylor being not very good...
Why ?
Over hyped
In what way ?
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !


User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29674
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Sun 08 Jul, 2018 11:05 pm

hobbo wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 10:54 pm
Geo. wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 10:52 pm
hobbo wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 7:30 pm
Geo. wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 7:23 pm


you reckon I just see Ash Taylor being not very good...
Why ?
Over hyped
In what way ?

Not much of a running game rearly takes on the line..poor passing right to left...good kicking game...not the next Thurston..
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am

OK I was wrong

hobbo
Member
Member
Posts: 10171
Joined: Mon 10 Mar, 2014 5:03 pm

Post by hobbo » Sun 08 Jul, 2018 11:09 pm

Geo. wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 11:05 pm
hobbo wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 10:54 pm
Geo. wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 10:52 pm
hobbo wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 7:30 pm


Why ?
Over hyped
In what way ?

Not much of a running game rearly takes on the line..poor passing right to left...good kicking game...not the next Thurston..
Still ..

Still better than .....
Ahhh forget it ...I couldn’t be arsed ..
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29674
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Sun 08 Jul, 2018 11:12 pm

hobbo wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 11:09 pm
Geo. wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 11:05 pm
hobbo wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 10:54 pm
Geo. wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 10:52 pm


Over hyped
In what way ?

Not much of a running game rearly takes on the line..poor passing right to left...good kicking game...not the next Thurston..
Still ..

Still better than .....
Ahhh forget it ...I couldn’t be arsed ..
Lemons
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am

OK I was wrong

hobbo
Member
Member
Posts: 10171
Joined: Mon 10 Mar, 2014 5:03 pm

Post by hobbo » Sun 08 Jul, 2018 11:15 pm

Geo. wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 11:12 pm
hobbo wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 11:09 pm
Geo. wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 11:05 pm
hobbo wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 10:54 pm


In what way ?

Not much of a running game rearly takes on the line..poor passing right to left...good kicking game...not the next Thurston..
Still ..

Still better than .....
Ahhh forget it ...I couldn’t be arsed ..
Lemons
Yes Geo ....
Lemons
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 41215
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Sun 08 Jul, 2018 11:23 pm

hobbo wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 11:15 pm
Geo. wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 11:12 pm
hobbo wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 11:09 pm
Geo. wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 11:05 pm



Not much of a running game rearly takes on the line..poor passing right to left...good kicking game...not the next Thurston..
Still ..

Still better than .....
Ahhh forget it ...I couldn’t be arsed ..
Lemons
Yes Geo ....
Lemons
When life throws up lemons , make yourself a gin and tonic ;)

hobbo
Member
Member
Posts: 10171
Joined: Mon 10 Mar, 2014 5:03 pm

Post by hobbo » Sun 08 Jul, 2018 11:27 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 11:23 pm
hobbo wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 11:15 pm
Geo. wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 11:12 pm
hobbo wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 11:09 pm


Still ..

Still better than .....
Ahhh forget it ...I couldn’t be arsed ..
Lemons
Yes Geo ....
Lemons
When life throws up lemons , make yourself a gin and tonic ;)
Geo’s lemons have Fruit fly
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 41215
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Sun 08 Jul, 2018 11:31 pm

hobbo wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 11:27 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 11:23 pm
hobbo wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 11:15 pm
Geo. wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 11:12 pm


Lemons
Yes Geo ....
Lemons
When life throws up lemons , make yourself a gin and tonic ;)
Geo’s lemons have Fruit fly
Rather fruit fly then sandfly , sandfly , go to bed , dream of the Henrietta Kane Red Card

User avatar
steve-o
Member
Member
Posts: 1969
Joined: Tue 14 Sep, 2010 4:27 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Post by steve-o » Mon 09 Jul, 2018 12:20 am

Needaname wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 8:25 pm
Isn’t it clear to everyone by now. Forward packs win games of football!!!
Disagree - spine players do
Year of last finals appearance:
2018 - Roosters, Storm, Rabbitohs, Sharks, Panthers, Broncos, Dragons, Warriors
2017 - Eels, Sea Eagles, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers

User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 29602
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Mon 09 Jul, 2018 4:43 am

steve-o wrote:
Mon 09 Jul, 2018 12:20 am
Needaname wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 8:25 pm
Isn’t it clear to everyone by now. Forward packs win games of football!!!
Disagree - spine players do
After the pigs lay the platform

User avatar
steve-o
Member
Member
Posts: 1969
Joined: Tue 14 Sep, 2010 4:27 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Post by steve-o » Mon 09 Jul, 2018 5:35 am

innsaneink wrote:
Mon 09 Jul, 2018 4:43 am
steve-o wrote:
Mon 09 Jul, 2018 12:20 am
Needaname wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 8:25 pm
Isn’t it clear to everyone by now. Forward packs win games of football!!!
Disagree - spine players do
After the pigs lay the platform
Look at this year’s origin series... Qld won the forward battle in both games - they made a lot more metres. NSW won because their spine (particularly Maloney, Tedesco, and Cook) outplayed their Queensland counterparts. And before that, Queensland won 11 out of 12 series because of Thurston, Smith, Slater, Cronk and Lockyer...

User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 29602
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Mon 09 Jul, 2018 5:57 am

Yeah & QLD led at stages in both games, there was nothing in both & couldve gone either way.
I think Origin is a unique commodity in which we have the games elite in a 3 game contest....its different to the weekly grind of NRL over a season

User avatar
steve-o
Member
Member
Posts: 1969
Joined: Tue 14 Sep, 2010 4:27 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Post by steve-o » Mon 09 Jul, 2018 6:33 am

True, origin certainly is different. Forwards need to hold their own (or lay the platform as you said), otherwise the team will get rolled through. But the tight games are won or lost by the spine, particularly the halves.
Year of last finals appearance:
2018 - Roosters, Storm, Rabbitohs, Sharks, Panthers, Broncos, Dragons, Warriors
2017 - Eels, Sea Eagles, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers

Telltails
Member
Member
Posts: 2767
Joined: Fri 18 Apr, 2014 3:24 pm

Post by Telltails » Mon 09 Jul, 2018 7:42 am

The best players in the game always say forwards lay the platform to win matches. Cant disagree.

Post Reply