HOW RIGGED IS THE NRL

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
Kerry Cogger
Member
Member
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed 04 Jul, 2018 6:38 pm

Re: HOW RIGGED IS THE NRL

Post by Kerry Cogger » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 12:39 am

happy tiger wrote:
Sun 22 Jul, 2018 10:15 pm
steve-o wrote:
Sun 22 Jul, 2018 9:27 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Sun 22 Jul, 2018 7:13 pm
cochise wrote:
Sat 21 Jul, 2018 9:41 pm

The Broncos getting most Friday night games has nothing to do with rigging the draw, it is all about maximising rating in Qld. I still think it is wrong but to say they are doing because they are rigging the comp is tin foil hat thinking.

The Roosters use third party agreements to extend their cap, I personally do not know their is much the NRL can do about those as do not personally believe we should be limiting what players can earn through endorsements.
Can I please remind all that neither the Titans or Cowboys want Friday night games

This is half the reason why Brisbane get Friday Night games

The other is simple , they draw big crowds week in week out

Heard someone whinging about all the Broncos playing SOO , with Gillett injured , they had what 2-3 players McCullough , Oates and Milf from memory

I hate the Broncs as much as the next bloke , hurt them by getting a strong 2nd side in Brisbane asap , forget the Friday Night argument , it is ridiculous , if Sydney based sides showed up with 20 K + crowds every week things would change , trust me
Both of your reasons are wrong lol
Broncos get so many free to air games because of TV ratings, that’s it. The ratings for Cowboys and Titans don’t come close to the broncos, so even if they wanted home games on Thursday/Friday, Broncos would still get the free to air games.
Crowd sizes have nothing to do with it
Steve The 8.00 pm game on Friday is usually the highest rating FTA NRL game every weekend either way by a big margin , doesn't matter who is playing

Cowboys have many people travel anything up to 4-6 hours to their games and prefer the Saturday night timeslot for home games

Titans prefer the 2.00 pm Sunday home games for holidaymakers / fans can watch either home and away , people check out at 10.00 pm Sunday morning and get to the game after lunch

Cowboys and Titans only want Friday games for the derby games against each other or Brisbane of course

Fans watching games want atmosphere , having 7000 show up to watch the Roosters play the Dogs for example doesn't do it

Having 40 000 + watching a Bronc's v Cowboys game which have been some of the games of the season for at least the last 5-6 years has fans talking before a whistle has even been blown
Wouldn't the titans situation you describe hold true for the Broncos too re holiday makers etc?


User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 29715
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 5:47 am

Chicken Faced Killa wrote:
Sun 22 Jul, 2018 10:22 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Sun 22 Jul, 2018 9:56 pm
Lets see the detailed figures Kerry...
Youre very very definitive
Don’t waste your time mate, facts are Kerry’s forte.
Hah!
As I expected, the only figure he came back with is 0

supercoach
Member
Member
Posts: 7212
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 2:38 pm

Post by supercoach » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 8:02 am

Kerry Cogger wrote:
Sun 22 Jul, 2018 9:41 pm
steve-o wrote:
Sun 22 Jul, 2018 12:28 am
cochise wrote:
Sun 22 Jul, 2018 12:23 am
steve-o wrote:
Sun 22 Jul, 2018 12:12 am

I somewhat agree. The competition is not rigged, but there are a number of biases that favour particular teams. For example, the desire for strong tv ratings results in the broncos getting more free to air games (and thus exposure for sponsors) than other teams. Third party agreements favour teams with strong business connections (eg broncos, roosters). Referees giving teams catch up penalties or Billy Slater winning player of the series are other examples of ridiculous bias in our game. Even the judiciary is insanely inconsistent... they seem to come down harsh on “no-name” players or high profile cases (eg Sam Burgess elbow to Morris), whereas when a media darling is up for suspension ahead of an origin game, they find a way to exonerate him.
Agendas, unconscious bias, money, and a bunch of other factors have resulted in a number of inconsistencies that advantage some people/clubs over others. There is no overarching conspiracy to fix games though.
I think this is a very accurate post and think it is something that happens throughout the world of sport, in the NFL many people believe that the bigger market teams get a better rub of the green in these same sorts of situations that you have pointed out. The AFL openly give advantages to teams in new markets.

I do disagree with the post you quoted saying that games are manipulated by refs to get a desired outcome, that would be out and out cheating and I honestly believe that is not occurring. There are however a number of aspects that can subconsciously have an impact on a referee, things such as home crowds, position on the ladder, perception of a team, team and player history can all influence a ref when making a decision. This is not cheating, just poor refereeing.
Yep, as you said, it’s poor refereeing as opposed to deliberate manipulation of results. And this is a conversation had across many competitions, not just the NRL
Its not poor refereeing its agenda based from thee boardrooms above. This is where the problem lies Rip the storm or Roosters etc off your name is mud.Not by the masses who support the peoples teams but by the select few who are the "movers and shakers.This is where the problem lies over the course of a year the hundreds of 50-50 calls a team receives should even out...Well let me tell you it doesn't it operates 90-10 to the elite.A lot of players,officials and fans from a lot of clubs have had enough of this crap.

Most of the time 50/50 calls favouring the better side is a illusion. The trouble is the battling team only needs one close call to go the other way and their night is shot, where the better teams can have a lot go against them and still recover.
When you win you seldom look back at the game with a microscope looking for bloopers.

Still think the NRL has to create a level playing field and at present seem very reluctant to do so, you than have to ask the question why.

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 41513
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm
Location: Watching Waiting Lurking

Post by happy tiger » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 8:07 am

Kerry Cogger wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 12:39 am
happy tiger wrote:
Sun 22 Jul, 2018 10:15 pm
steve-o wrote:
Sun 22 Jul, 2018 9:27 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Sun 22 Jul, 2018 7:13 pm


Can I please remind all that neither the Titans or Cowboys want Friday night games

This is half the reason why Brisbane get Friday Night games

The other is simple , they draw big crowds week in week out

Heard someone whinging about all the Broncos playing SOO , with Gillett injured , they had what 2-3 players McCullough , Oates and Milf from memory

I hate the Broncs as much as the next bloke , hurt them by getting a strong 2nd side in Brisbane asap , forget the Friday Night argument , it is ridiculous , if Sydney based sides showed up with 20 K + crowds every week things would change , trust me
Both of your reasons are wrong lol
Broncos get so many free to air games because of TV ratings, that’s it. The ratings for Cowboys and Titans don’t come close to the broncos, so even if they wanted home games on Thursday/Friday, Broncos would still get the free to air games.
Crowd sizes have nothing to do with it
Steve The 8.00 pm game on Friday is usually the highest rating FTA NRL game every weekend either way by a big margin , doesn't matter who is playing

Cowboys have many people travel anything up to 4-6 hours to their games and prefer the Saturday night timeslot for home games

Titans prefer the 2.00 pm Sunday home games for holidaymakers / fans can watch either home and away , people check out at 10.00 pm Sunday morning and get to the game after lunch

Cowboys and Titans only want Friday games for the derby games against each other or Brisbane of course

Fans watching games want atmosphere , having 7000 show up to watch the Roosters play the Dogs for example doesn't do it

Having 40 000 + watching a Bronc's v Cowboys game which have been some of the games of the season for at least the last 5-6 years has fans talking before a whistle has even been blown
Wouldn't the titans situation you describe hold true for the Broncos too re holiday makers etc?
To a degree , but they have so many members ......

Mac
Member
Member
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat 20 May, 2017 10:19 am

Post by Mac » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 11:53 am

I don't buy into the rigged hypothesis but can someone tell me why referees are advised of the penalty count during the game? I can't think of one reason that a referee would want to know the count mid-game unless there is a desire from above that the count not be a blowout either way.

Make the calls on what you see and let the penalty count be what it is.


User avatar
Chicken Faced Killa
Member
Member
Posts: 2042
Joined: Mon 17 Apr, 2017 8:19 pm

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 12:17 pm

Mac wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 11:53 am
I don't buy into the rigged hypothesis but can someone tell me why referees are advised of the penalty count during the game? I can't think of one reason that a referee would want to know the count mid-game unless there is a desire from above that the count not be a blowout either way.

Make the calls on what you see and let the penalty count be what it is.
They shouldn’t be asked ng for the numbers as they are irrelevantly. Call the game as it comes. If one side gives away more that’s there issue.

Tarl
Member
Member
Posts: 124
Joined: Tue 20 Mar, 2018 1:21 pm

Post by Tarl » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 1:51 pm

Not sure the bias is intentional, although I feel there may be some unconscious leniency from the refs towards the traditionally 'better' teams (Melb, Roosters and particularly Broncs). As we know, all teams change each year and quality can yo-yo but there are certain teams that seem to get the rub of the green more often.

Out of curiosity, here is a reply I (finally) received from the NRL after sending them a 'please explain' email months back...

~

Thanks for your email.

There are always going to be subjective calls that are made in Rugby League but be assured referees make them on the basis of the facts as they see them not on the basis of who the team is. You are perfectly entitled to disagree with certain refereeing decisions but it is wrong to suggest that their decisions would be influenced by any consideration other than what they thought was the appropriate ruling at the time.

The reality is that refereeing is one of those areas that is never going to be completely free of controversy and debate.

As a game, it is important that we support the referees and we will continue to provide resources to assist officials in all areas of the code, not only to ensure that the referees we have provide accurate decision making, but also to ensure we continue to attract new officials to the game.

We will continue to monitor the feedback from clubs, players and fans to ensure we can continue to improve the standard of officiating in Rugby League. We will ensure your feedback is registered.

Thanks again for taking the time to write to us and for your passionate support of Rugby League.

Kind regards

Robert

Supporter Liaison

Kerry Cogger
Member
Member
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed 04 Jul, 2018 6:38 pm

Post by Kerry Cogger » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 7:29 pm

Tarl wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 1:51 pm
Not sure the bias is intentional, although I feel there may be some unconscious leniency from the refs towards the traditionally 'better' teams (Melb, Roosters and particularly Broncs). As we know, all teams change each year and quality can yo-yo but there are certain teams that seem to get the rub of the green more often.

Out of curiosity, here is a reply I (finally) received from the NRL after sending them a 'please explain' email months back...

~

Thanks for your email.

There are always going to be subjective calls that are made in Rugby League but be assured referees make them on the basis of the facts as they see them not on the basis of who the team is. You are perfectly entitled to disagree with certain refereeing decisions but it is wrong to suggest that their decisions would be influenced by any consideration other than what they thought was the appropriate ruling at the time.

The reality is that refereeing is one of those areas that is never going to be completely free of controversy and debate.

As a game, it is important that we support the referees and we will continue to provide resources to assist officials in all areas of the code, not only to ensure that the referees we have provide accurate decision making, but also to ensure we continue to attract new officials to the game.


We will continue to monitor the feedback from clubs, players and fans to ensure we can continue to improve the standard of officiating in Rugby League. We will ensure your feedback is registered.

Thanks again for taking the time to write to us and for your passionate support of Rugby League.

Kind regards

Robert

Supporter Liaison
I do not believe that ref goes out and says stuff it I got 20 on the Broncos I'm gonna rort the Tigers today.But what most certainly does happen is the circus that is the NRL FOR 20 FREAKING YEARS.Rip off a team with all the boardroom support straight down to reserves rip off Wests TIGERS,PARRA,NZ,Gold Coast,Newcastle,PENRITH,Canberra its oh stuff it their only the bottom feeders anyhow.

Kerry Cogger
Member
Member
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed 04 Jul, 2018 6:38 pm

Post by Kerry Cogger » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 7:33 pm

Kerry Cogger wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 7:29 pm
Tarl wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 1:51 pm
Not sure the bias is intentional, although I feel there may be some unconscious leniency from the refs towards the traditionally 'better' teams (Melb, Roosters and particularly Broncs). As we know, all teams change each year and quality can yo-yo but there are certain teams that seem to get the rub of the green more often.

Out of curiosity, here is a reply I (finally) received from the NRL after sending them a 'please explain' email months back...

~

Thanks for your email.

There are always going to be subjective calls that are made in Rugby League but be assured referees make them on the basis of the facts as they see them not on the basis of who the team is. You are perfectly entitled to disagree with certain refereeing decisions but it is wrong to suggest that their decisions would be influenced by any consideration other than what they thought was the appropriate ruling at the time.

The reality is that refereeing is one of those areas that is never going to be completely free of controversy and debate.

As a game, it is important that we support the referees and we will continue to provide resources to assist officials in all areas of the code, not only to ensure that the referees we have provide accurate decision making, but also to ensure we continue to attract new officials to the game.


We will continue to monitor the feedback from clubs, players and fans to ensure we can continue to improve the standard of officiating in Rugby League. We will ensure your feedback is registered.

Thanks again for taking the time to write to us and for your passionate support of Rugby League.

Kind regards

Robert

Supporter Liaison
I do not believe that ref goes out and says stuff it I got 20 on the Broncos I'm gonna rort the Tigers today.But what most certainly does happen is the circus that is the NRL FOR 20 FREAKING YEARS.Rip off a team with all the boardroom support straight down to
Perfect example back in the day Geoff Toovey, blokes team would lose by 2 points but win its tenth straight penalty count 12-4 would scream "there needs to be an investigation".Said ref straight to reserves all the while we were the type of club that would cop it royally and not jack squat would happen.

Kerry Cogger
Member
Member
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed 04 Jul, 2018 6:38 pm

Post by Kerry Cogger » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 7:36 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 5:47 am
Chicken Faced Killa wrote:
Sun 22 Jul, 2018 10:22 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Sun 22 Jul, 2018 9:56 pm
Lets see the detailed figures Kerry...
Youre very very definitive
Don’t waste your time mate, facts are Kerry’s forte.
Hah!
As I expected, the only figure he came back with is 0
Not wasting my time on you two bums.Especially you chicken.

User avatar
Chicken Faced Killa
Member
Member
Posts: 2042
Joined: Mon 17 Apr, 2017 8:19 pm

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 8:24 pm

Kerry Cogger wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 7:33 pm
Kerry Cogger wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 7:29 pm
Tarl wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 1:51 pm
Not sure the bias is intentional, although I feel there may be some unconscious leniency from the refs towards the traditionally 'better' teams (Melb, Roosters and particularly Broncs). As we know, all teams change each year and quality can yo-yo but there are certain teams that seem to get the rub of the green more often.

Out of curiosity, here is a reply I (finally) received from the NRL after sending them a 'please explain' email months back...

~

Thanks for your email.

There are always going to be subjective calls that are made in Rugby League but be assured referees make them on the basis of the facts as they see them not on the basis of who the team is. You are perfectly entitled to disagree with certain refereeing decisions but it is wrong to suggest that their decisions would be influenced by any consideration other than what they thought was the appropriate ruling at the time.

The reality is that refereeing is one of those areas that is never going to be completely free of controversy and debate.

As a game, it is important that we support the referees and we will continue to provide resources to assist officials in all areas of the code, not only to ensure that the referees we have provide accurate decision making, but also to ensure we continue to attract new officials to the game.


We will continue to monitor the feedback from clubs, players and fans to ensure we can continue to improve the standard of officiating in Rugby League. We will ensure your feedback is registered.

Thanks again for taking the time to write to us and for your passionate support of Rugby League.

Kind regards

Robert

Supporter Liaison
I do not believe that ref goes out and says stuff it I got 20 on the Broncos I'm gonna rort the Tigers today.But what most certainly does happen is the circus that is the NRL FOR 20 FREAKING YEARS.Rip off a team with all the boardroom support straight down to
Perfect example back in the day Geoff Toovey, blokes team would lose by 2 points but win its tenth straight penalty count 12-4 would scream "there needs to be an investigation".Said ref straight to reserves all the while we were the type of club that would cop it royally and not jack squat would happen.
Just on your Geoff Toovey example, in the game in question Manly lost to Souths 22-10. Penalty count was 10-5 to Souths. Refs Shayne Hayne and Henry Perenara both had 1st grade games the next week.

I get that you feel the game is rigged and are trying to outline why. As I stated in previous posts in this thread I disagree with you however would be interested in hear a rational argument as to why it is.

Others have outlined why Brisbane get so many prime time games.

It’s also been suggested that Melbourne have done well due to having three of the best players in key positions and are well coached. (Personally I don’t like their club or style of footy however you have to give credit where it is due)

Manly and Souths have been up and down for a while now.

Easts go all in on top line players trying to buy a premiership and have a few years of success followed by a bad season. They also have lots of inner city contacts that allows them to stretch the cap with TPAs - not fair but within the current rules.

In regards to refs I have outlined in a previous thread how I feel this needs to be addressed at a junior level to improve quality and keep promising young refs in the game.

hank37w
Member
Member
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun 20 Mar, 2016 6:23 am
Location: South West

Post by hank37w » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 10:09 pm

Mac wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 11:53 am
I don't buy into the rigged hypothesis but can someone tell me why referees are advised of the penalty count during the game? I can't think of one reason that a referee would want to know the count mid-game unless there is a desire from above that the count not be a blowout either way.

Make the calls on what you see and let the penalty count be what it is.
The thing that really bugs me is when they even up a penalty count after the game is virtually gone.

Kerry Cogger
Member
Member
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed 04 Jul, 2018 6:38 pm

Post by Kerry Cogger » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 10:13 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 7:40 pm
Kerry Cogger wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 7:36 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 5:47 am
Chicken Faced Killa wrote:
Sun 22 Jul, 2018 10:22 pm


Don’t waste your time mate, facts are Kerry’s forte.
Hah!
As I expected, the only figure he came back with is 0
Not wasting my time with you two bums.
Thats OK...you can run away, we'll still pull you up on your BS
How those figures re: the 90/10s?
Lets see the definitive details
The proof is in the last 20 years of Rugby League.If you cant see that not my problem.You don't want facts you just want to get into 2 year old skirmishes.Im not into that crap.

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 41513
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm
Location: Watching Waiting Lurking

Post by happy tiger » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 10:29 pm

Chicken Faced Killa wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 8:24 pm
Kerry Cogger wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 7:33 pm
Kerry Cogger wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 7:29 pm
Tarl wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 1:51 pm
Not sure the bias is intentional, although I feel there may be some unconscious leniency from the refs towards the traditionally 'better' teams (Melb, Roosters and particularly Broncs). As we know, all teams change each year and quality can yo-yo but there are certain teams that seem to get the rub of the green more often.

Out of curiosity, here is a reply I (finally) received from the NRL after sending them a 'please explain' email months back...

~

Thanks for your email.

There are always going to be subjective calls that are made in Rugby League but be assured referees make them on the basis of the facts as they see them not on the basis of who the team is. You are perfectly entitled to disagree with certain refereeing decisions but it is wrong to suggest that their decisions would be influenced by any consideration other than what they thought was the appropriate ruling at the time.

The reality is that refereeing is one of those areas that is never going to be completely free of controversy and debate.

As a game, it is important that we support the referees and we will continue to provide resources to assist officials in all areas of the code, not only to ensure that the referees we have provide accurate decision making, but also to ensure we continue to attract new officials to the game.


We will continue to monitor the feedback from clubs, players and fans to ensure we can continue to improve the standard of officiating in Rugby League. We will ensure your feedback is registered.

Thanks again for taking the time to write to us and for your passionate support of Rugby League.

Kind regards

Robert

Supporter Liaison
I do not believe that ref goes out and says stuff it I got 20 on the Broncos I'm gonna rort the Tigers today.But what most certainly does happen is the circus that is the NRL FOR 20 FREAKING YEARS.Rip off a team with all the boardroom support straight down to
Perfect example back in the day Geoff Toovey, blokes team would lose by 2 points but win its tenth straight penalty count 12-4 would scream "there needs to be an investigation".Said ref straight to reserves all the while we were the type of club that would cop it royally and not jack squat would happen.
Just on your Geoff Toovey example, in the game in question Manly lost to Souths 22-10. Penalty count was 10-5 to Souths. Refs Shayne Hayne and Henry Perenara both had 1st grade games the next week.

I get that you feel the game is rigged and are trying to outline why. As I stated in previous posts in this thread I disagree with you however would be interested in hear a rational argument as to why it is.

Others have outlined why Brisbane get so many prime time games.

It’s also been suggested that Melbourne have done well due to having three of the best players in key positions and are well coached. (Personally I don’t like their club or style of footy however you have to give credit where it is due)

Manly and Souths have been up and down for a while now.

Easts go all in on top line players trying to buy a premiership and have a few years of success followed by a bad season. They also have lots of inner city contacts that allows them to stretch the cap with TPAs - not fair but within the current rules.

In regards to refs I have outlined in a previous thread how I feel this needs to be addressed at a junior level to improve quality and keep promising young refs in the game.
Yeah but the post match reactions of the Toovey's , Haslers ,Stuarts , Bellamy's ,Bennett's etc are why they end up winning penalty counts

Shouldn't happen but refs are human and their employment is the biggest importance to themselves when push comes to shove

Who would you rather comes hunting you post match as a ref , Toov's or IC ??

User avatar
Chicken Faced Killa
Member
Member
Posts: 2042
Joined: Mon 17 Apr, 2017 8:19 pm

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 10:34 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 10:29 pm
Chicken Faced Killa wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 8:24 pm
Kerry Cogger wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 7:33 pm
Kerry Cogger wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 7:29 pm


I do not believe that ref goes out and says stuff it I got 20 on the Broncos I'm gonna rort the Tigers today.But what most certainly does happen is the circus that is the NRL FOR 20 FREAKING YEARS.Rip off a team with all the boardroom support straight down to
Perfect example back in the day Geoff Toovey, blokes team would lose by 2 points but win its tenth straight penalty count 12-4 would scream "there needs to be an investigation".Said ref straight to reserves all the while we were the type of club that would cop it royally and not jack squat would happen.
Just on your Geoff Toovey example, in the game in question Manly lost to Souths 22-10. Penalty count was 10-5 to Souths. Refs Shayne Hayne and Henry Perenara both had 1st grade games the next week.

I get that you feel the game is rigged and are trying to outline why. As I stated in previous posts in this thread I disagree with you however would be interested in hear a rational argument as to why it is.

Others have outlined why Brisbane get so many prime time games.

It’s also been suggested that Melbourne have done well due to having three of the best players in key positions and are well coached. (Personally I don’t like their club or style of footy however you have to give credit where it is due)

Manly and Souths have been up and down for a while now.

Easts go all in on top line players trying to buy a premiership and have a few years of success followed by a bad season. They also have lots of inner city contacts that allows them to stretch the cap with TPAs - not fair but within the current rules.

In regards to refs I have outlined in a previous thread how I feel this needs to be addressed at a junior level to improve quality and keep promising young refs in the game.
Yeah but the post match reactions of the Toovey's , Haslers ,Stuarts , Bellamy's ,Bennett's etc are why they end up winning penalty counts

Shouldn't happen but refs are human and their employment is the biggest importance to themselves when push comes to shove

Who would you rather comes hunting you post match as a ref , Toov's or IC ??
Much rather have to talk to Ivan :lol: Toovey would be a bit much and the conversation would be unproductive.

Yep refs are human and will respond to and reflect on things especially if they are in their face in the media. Maybe the media should give them more positive feedback when they are doing well and it might reinforce what they should be doing.

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 41513
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm
Location: Watching Waiting Lurking

Post by happy tiger » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 10:43 pm

Chicken Faced Killa wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 10:34 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 10:29 pm
Chicken Faced Killa wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 8:24 pm
Kerry Cogger wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 7:33 pm
Just on your Geoff Toovey example, in the game in question Manly lost to Souths 22-10. Penalty count was 10-5 to Souths. Refs Shayne Hayne and Henry Perenara both had 1st grade games the next week.

I get that you feel the game is rigged and are trying to outline why. As I stated in previous posts in this thread I disagree with you however would be interested in hear a rational argument as to why it is.

Others have outlined why Brisbane get so many prime time games.

It’s also been suggested that Melbourne have done well due to having three of the best players in key positions and are well coached. (Personally I don’t like their club or style of footy however you have to give credit where it is due)

Manly and Souths have been up and down for a while now.

Easts go all in on top line players trying to buy a premiership and have a few years of success followed by a bad season. They also have lots of inner city contacts that allows them to stretch the cap with TPAs - not fair but within the current rules.

In regards to refs I have outlined in a previous thread how I feel this needs to be addressed at a junior level to improve quality and keep promising young refs in the game.
Yeah but the post match reactions of the Toovey's , Haslers ,Stuarts , Bellamy's ,Bennett's etc are why they end up winning penalty counts

Shouldn't happen but refs are human and their employment is the biggest importance to themselves when push comes to shove

Who would you rather comes hunting you post match as a ref , Toov's or IC ??
Much rather have to talk to Ivan :lol: Toovey would be a bit much and the conversation would be unproductive.

Yep refs are human and will respond to and reflect on things especially if they are in their face in the media. Maybe the media should give them more positive feedback when they are doing well and it might reinforce what they should be doing.
They reffed the rules as we asked and got shot down by all and sundry

Again don't blame the refs /administration , players and coaches look at a new rule and first thing they try and do is rort it to their own advantage

That is where many of the games problems stem from

The Canberra game was shocking don't get me wrong , but some common sense was needed , by someone

Even if they had ruled a 10 metre scrum to the Sharks , I could have lived with that

User avatar
Chicken Faced Killa
Member
Member
Posts: 2042
Joined: Mon 17 Apr, 2017 8:19 pm

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 10:47 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 10:43 pm
Chicken Faced Killa wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 10:34 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 10:29 pm
Chicken Faced Killa wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 8:24 pm


Just on your Geoff Toovey example, in the game in question Manly lost to Souths 22-10. Penalty count was 10-5 to Souths. Refs Shayne Hayne and Henry Perenara both had 1st grade games the next week.

I get that you feel the game is rigged and are trying to outline why. As I stated in previous posts in this thread I disagree with you however would be interested in hear a rational argument as to why it is.

Others have outlined why Brisbane get so many prime time games.

It’s also been suggested that Melbourne have done well due to having three of the best players in key positions and are well coached. (Personally I don’t like their club or style of footy however you have to give credit where it is due)

Manly and Souths have been up and down for a while now.

Easts go all in on top line players trying to buy a premiership and have a few years of success followed by a bad season. They also have lots of inner city contacts that allows them to stretch the cap with TPAs - not fair but within the current rules.

In regards to refs I have outlined in a previous thread how I feel this needs to be addressed at a junior level to improve quality and keep promising young refs in the game.
Yeah but the post match reactions of the Toovey's , Haslers ,Stuarts , Bellamy's ,Bennett's etc are why they end up winning penalty counts

Shouldn't happen but refs are human and their employment is the biggest importance to themselves when push comes to shove

Who would you rather comes hunting you post match as a ref , Toov's or IC ??
Much rather have to talk to Ivan :lol: Toovey would be a bit much and the conversation would be unproductive.

Yep refs are human and will respond to and reflect on things especially if they are in their face in the media. Maybe the media should give them more positive feedback when they are doing well and it might reinforce what they should be doing.
They reffed the rules as we asked and got shot down by all and sundry

Again don't blame the refs /administration , players and coaches look at a new rule and first thing they try and do is rort it to their own advantage

That is where many of the games problems stem from

The Canberra game was shocking don't get me wrong , but some common sense was needed , by someone

Even if they had ruled a 10 metre scrum to the Sharks , I could have lived with that
100% agree I was a big supporter of how they reffed the game early in the year and was hoping the coaches and players would adapt but the league blinked first.

Flag up in the Cronulla game should have been a scrum. The touchie panicked and didn’t own up to his mistake on the spot - if he does the right call occurs.

Kerry Cogger
Member
Member
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed 04 Jul, 2018 6:38 pm

Post by Kerry Cogger » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 10:52 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 10:29 pm
Chicken Faced Killa wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 8:24 pm
Kerry Cogger wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 7:33 pm
Kerry Cogger wrote:
Mon 23 Jul, 2018 7:29 pm


I do not believe that ref goes out and says stuff it I got 20 on the Broncos I'm gonna rort the Tigers today.But what most certainly does happen is the circus that is the NRL FOR 20 FREAKING YEARS.Rip off a team with all the boardroom support straight down to
Perfect example back in the day Geoff Toovey, blokes team would lose by 2 points but win its tenth straight penalty count 12-4 would scream "there needs to be an investigation".Said ref straight to reserves all the while we were the type of club that would cop it royally and not jack squat would happen.
Just on your Geoff Toovey example, in the game in question Manly lost to Souths 22-10. Penalty count was 10-5 to Souths. Refs Shayne Hayne and Henry Perenara both had 1st grade games the next week.

I get that you feel the game is rigged and are trying to outline why. As I stated in previous posts in this thread I disagree with you however would be interested in hear a rational argument as to why it is.

Others have outlined why Brisbane get so many prime time games.

It’s also been suggested that Melbourne have done well due to having three of the best players in key positions and are well coached. (Personally I don’t like their club or style of footy however you have to give credit where it is due)

Manly and Souths have been up and down for a while now.

Easts go all in on top line players trying to buy a premiership and have a few years of success followed by a bad season. They also have lots of inner city contacts that allows them to stretch the cap with TPAs - not fair but within the current rules.

In regards to refs I have outlined in a previous thread how I feel this needs to be addressed at a junior level to improve quality and keep promising young refs in the game.
Yeah but the post match reactions of the Toovey's , Haslers ,Stuarts , Bellamy's ,Bennett's etc are why they end up winning penalty counts

Shouldn't happen but refs are human and their employment is the biggest importance to themselves when push comes to shove

Who would you rather comes hunting you post match as a ref , Toov's or IC ??
Aah pick the odd one out.Yep that would be the raiders coach(Not the Manly,Easts or Melbourne one)Raiders are forever getting shafted.How come when Ricky was coach of the Roosters he wasn't one tenth as animated as he is with the Raiderss.I mean ricky is a much more mature person now but all of a sudden Ricky cant work out why he aint getting the calls anymore.

Post Reply