Matt Cecchin to retire

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
Cultured Bogan

Re: Matt Cecchin to retire

Post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 11:49 am

Feel for the bloke.

I don't think any refs are on the take, their poor decisions frustrate me but to threaten him or his family is lower than a snakes gut.
And she's turning cold, at fifteen years old,
Taken too much slow, minds gone out to sea on the P&O,
Don't know what to do, rotten shade of blue,
Another case of "stupid is as stupid does..."

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 11:53 am

Kerry Cogger wrote:
Fri 03 Aug, 2018 11:33 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 03 Aug, 2018 9:58 am
Kerry Cogger wrote:
Fri 03 Aug, 2018 9:43 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 03 Aug, 2018 8:57 am
Probably came from posters on here the way some carry on.

Or just maybe he quit for other reasons.Abuse of refs has always happened in the 110 year history of the NRL and always will.Its nothing new is it?
Those who protest the loudest.

I told you in another thread things at the NRL was gonna change.You laughed in my face.
So what’s changed?

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 12:17 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Fri 03 Aug, 2018 11:49 am
Feel for the bloke.

I don't think any refs are on the take, their poor decisions frustrate me but to threaten him or his family is lower than a snakes gut.
I don't think they are either, nor do I think the game is rigged.

But ref's decision right or wrong can affect results, albeit unintentionally.
And the game is very far from being a level and fair playing field...

But death threats is just not on.

One of our best ref's forced to quit... The game has some issues on its hands

Russell

Post by Russell » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 12:21 pm

Maybe if someone threatens Todd - he might retire too!

Oh! I wish.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 12:23 pm

No idea what could possess anyone to be a referee. The most thankless job there is.

Abraham

Post by Abraham » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 12:26 pm

Alot of whispers for a while that Bernie Sutton has been trying to get Cecchin out of the ref ranks for personal reasons.

This may be a result of that, knowing he has been demoted from alof the big games this year.

Actually dont mind him as a ref.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 12:32 pm

Abraham wrote:
Fri 03 Aug, 2018 12:26 pm
Alot of whispers for a while that Bernie Sutton has been trying to get Cecchin out of the ref ranks for personal reasons.

This may be a result of that, knowing he has been demoted from alof the big games this year.

Hardly whispers.
It's been well publicised

Abraham

Post by Abraham » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 12:35 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Fri 03 Aug, 2018 12:32 pm
Abraham wrote:

Hardly whispers.
It's been well publicised
Haven't seen it publicized personally, just a lot of pub banter.

Not sure if its true, but the pieces fit.

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 12:52 pm

Can only hope Greenberg cops enough stick to force him to get out of our game, he is the root cause of most things wrong with RL at present.
Pack ya bags Todd you leech, you are sucking the life out of our game with your crookedness.

Shame for Cecchin, he isn't too bad of a ref. Could understand if it happened to Steve Clark, Kelvin Jeffes or Mogsheen Jadwat- those 3 flogs were atrocious.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 12:53 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Fri 03 Aug, 2018 12:17 pm
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Feel for the bloke.

I don't think they are either, nor do I think the game is rigged.

But ref's decision right or wrong can affect results, albeit unintentionally.
And the game is very far from being a level and fair playing field...

But death threats is just not on.

One of our best ref's forced to quit... The game has some issues on its hands
Probably find 80% of the players make more mistakes than the refs do every weekend

And yes Ink , we can't afford to lose good refs

AS an ex player and coach Ross Strudwick used to say , any ref can be helped to lean one way or the other , whether it be scoreline , circumstances like injury tolls , home crowds etc , if a captain says the right thing it can get in a refs head

Kerry Cogger

Post by Kerry Cogger » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 1:03 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 03 Aug, 2018 11:53 am
Kerry Cogger wrote:
Fri 03 Aug, 2018 11:33 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 03 Aug, 2018 9:58 am
Kerry Cogger wrote:
Fri 03 Aug, 2018 9:43 am

Or just maybe he quit for other reasons.Abuse of refs has always happened in the 110 year history of the NRL and always will.Its nothing new is it?
Those who protest the loudest.

I told you in another thread things at the NRL was gonna change.You laughed in my face.
So what’s changed?
Read the thread title.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 1:10 pm

tsjonathan wrote:
Fri 03 Aug, 2018 9:19 am
His greatest call was in the 2005 Grand Final when he was a touchy and called an infringement on Halatau that prevented a cowboys try in the first half which arrested the cows momentum.
Agreed - he gets a lifetime pass from me.

TigerTiger

Post by TigerTiger » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 1:42 pm

The referees do have a tough job, they get abused by fans, discredited by the media, and their own organisation (or organisation over-arching above them) pressures them to do their job in particular ways subject to the political in-house opinion of the powerbrokers of the day.

The refs are not personally corrupt, but I don't believe they are fair or impartial either. They do what they have been told, and that can change from week to week. The whole NRL is swelling with political pressures and it absolutely stinks.

On an aside, as the referees I feel are stuck in the same mess as us fans and they are not really responsible for the mess themselves, I think the NRL needs to implement a new rule with refs - No player can argue with the ref, at all. No exceptions. No arguing, no questioning, nothing. A captain can ask a polite question, but if it isn't polite enough, instant sin bin for the captain. Instant sin bin for anyone else for talking to the ref also. They need to instil a ref's decision is final, accept it, if they're wrong too bad.

The refs are being politically pressured to do certain things and they aren't even backed by those pressuring them. That's the problem.
A one eyed supporter, mostly :crazy, always :sign:

Kerry Cogger

Post by Kerry Cogger » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 2:24 pm

TigerTiger wrote:
Fri 03 Aug, 2018 1:42 pm
The referees do have a tough job, they get abused by fans, discredited by the media, and their own organisation (or organisation over-arching above them) pressures them to do their job in particular ways subject to the political in-house opinion of the powerbrokers of the day.

The refs are not personally corrupt, but I don't believe they are fair or impartial either. They do what they have been told, and that can change from week to week. The whole NRL is swelling with political pressures and it absolutely stinks.

On an aside, as the referees I feel are stuck in the same mess as us fans and they are not really responsible for the mess themselves, I think the NRL needs to implement a new rule with refs - No player can argue with the ref, at all. No exceptions. No arguing, no questioning, nothing. A captain can ask a polite question, but if it isn't polite enough, instant sin bin for the captain. Instant sin bin for anyone else for talking to the ref also. They need to instil a ref's decision is final, accept it, if they're wrong too bad.

The refs are being politically pressured to do certain things and they aren't even backed by those pressuring them. That's the problem.
This IS the problem.

Kerry Cogger

Post by Kerry Cogger » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 2:32 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Feel for the bloke.

This is also true.Please read above for the REAL root of the problem.

Kerry Cogger

Post by Kerry Cogger » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 2:34 pm

Abraham wrote:

Its not as if he has a brother as a ref.Oh wait.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 3:34 pm

Kerry Cogger wrote:
Fri 03 Aug, 2018 2:34 pm
Abraham wrote:

Its not as if he has a brother as a ref.Oh wait.
He doesn’t. He has 2 brothers that are refs, and not particularly good ones.

He needs to go and so does Tony Archer

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 4:14 pm

The constant fiddling with the rules during the season by the hierarchy leaves the referees in a no win situation.
Fans have long memories when you lose games based on one set of rules, only for that to be softened as the season progresses with a new crackdown in its place.
Consistency is impossible if their is no consistency within the framework of the rule book.