Female Referees

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
Byron Bay Fan

Female Referees

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 12:52 pm

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/refere ... 4zvsj.html

Referee Kasey Badger sends off player for 'homosexual slur'

8 August 2018 — 12:00am

A NSW Intrust Super Premiership player has been charged with contrary conduct after being sent off for dissent that was described by referee Kasey Badger at the time as a "homosexual slur".

Wests prop Cowen Epere has been hit with a grade-one contrary conduct charge by the NSWRL after becoming the first player to be sent off in the competition this year.

He was given his marching orders after a slanging match with a Penrith opponent.

Badger tried to intervene in the dispute with promising Panthers half Adam Keighran during the second stanza of the match at Panthers Stadium on Sunday, but then took the unusual action of dismissing a player when the verbal barbs continued.

On-field audio was heard to capture the Wests player labelling Keighran a "f---ing pussy" while Badger reported to the NSWRL that he had also used the term "f---ing faggot".

The referee told Epere, who previously was a lower-grader at the Panthers, that it was a "homosexual slur" and took the unusual step of sending him from the field for dissent towards a rival.

Epere trudged up the tunnel and didn't take part in the final 10 minutes of the match.

He entered an early guilty plea to the charge on Tuesday and won't be suspended.

Wests Magpies general manager of football operations Leo Epifania could not be reached for comment on Tuesday.

Badger has been on the periphery of making her NRL debut for several years and has been the subject of calls to be elevated to the top grade to become the first female to control a match at the highest level in Australia.

Belinda Sleeman has also impressed handling lower grade matches and is considered a future NRL referee, but both her and Badger have asked for their ascension to be on merit and not a token appointment.

Badger's husband Gavin is one of the most respected referees in the game and one of just seven referees to officiate in more than 300 NRL matches, a club which was joined by Matt Cecchin shortly after Kasey refereed the Intrust Super Premiership match at the foot of the mountains.

The Panthers ran out commanding 38-10 winners over Wests, sewing up the Intrust Super Premiership minor premiership in the process, as Keighran scored a try and booted five goals.

The NRL is preparing to celebrate its Women In League Round this weekend, which honours the contribution of all females in the game.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder what action they will take when refereeing NRL and hears S Burgess call Farah a c.... will Burgess be sent off? At live games I have attended about every second player would have been sent off. Reminds me of the female reporter visiting the NRL male dressing sheds and then complaining about seeing male parts.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

bp tiger

Post by bp tiger » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 1:32 pm

hate to say it but she is a disgrace. most penalties that come for offenses on the goal line come from her when she is running the line. when she was coming thur the ranks she was always bias to a couple of better teams. only there due to PC crap.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 1:51 pm

The crowd ranks swell considerably when we have this one particular ref for EB's game

And they get even bigger when she runs the flag

I'm in love

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 2:33 pm

This is disgrace!!

I know I might get labelled as sexist but I don't care, I'm sorry and I understand women play the sport too and I'm all for it but this is a mans game and it's a place where men understand that things get said on the field in the heat of battle and it's an unwritten law that every player understands before they take the field and every player is OK with the fact that there's going to be from time to time some name calling and unpleasant language.
You give as good as you get, and if you can't take it then you go play Raa Raa.

It's no place for snowflakes, if the player himself has no dramas being called whatever, why does a ref feel the need to step in?

I'm sure male refs have heard way worse hundreds of times.
Or do refs now have the job of censoring free speech too?

So if a player says something quietly so the snowflake ref can't hear it, are we going to get to the point where a player will go and "dob" on the player to the female snowflake and she'll send you off?
Is this like the schoolyard now?

"I heard what you called him Peter, now go to the principal's office, you're on detention for the rest of lunch, that language is not acceptable here at NRL high"

I wonder what would happen if he had called him a straight hetero?

PHLEEEAssEEeee!!!

Demps

Post by Demps » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 2:53 pm

Mmmm...
Heat of the moment you'd assume.

However this stuff won't be tolerated in the pc world we live in right now...

Should be fined and have to undergo some form of education.... Unacceptable.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 3:25 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Thu 09 Aug, 2018 1:51 pm
The crowd ranks swell considerably when we have this one particular ref for EB's game

I'm in love
Pic ?
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 3:47 pm

hobbo wrote:
Thu 09 Aug, 2018 3:25 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 09 Aug, 2018 1:51 pm

I'm in love
Pic ?
You spelt Sick wrong...

Dunno what Epere said warrants being sent to the bin...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Abraham

Post by Abraham » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 3:50 pm

That's what happens when you give chicks too much authority ... back to the kitchen Kasey.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 4:07 pm

OTT
Are ''mum'', ''sister'' or ''wife'' slurs no go too?

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 4:26 pm

I think some of you commenting here will find it continually disturbing the direction the game is going - you aren't going to out-compete AFL if you cannot encourage and maintain the involvement of women and kids in rugby league.

Personally I am ok with it - let a ref use their best judgement. Gallen got in trouble for calling Paea a black **** and you can't be using those slurs either racist, homophobic or otherwise. Personally I would have given him 10 mins to cool his heels, but not my call.

Sorry if you don't like it, but that's the way society is going. Demps said something similar, not sure if he's being genuine or sarcastic.

Why do you think they got tough on punching, because players were being hurt? No, because it's a bad look for the game and times change, views change about such things.

Epere will cop, what, a 1 match suspension max?

Demps

Post by Demps » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 5:12 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Thu 09 Aug, 2018 4:26 pm
I think some of you commenting here will find it continually disturbing the direction the game is going - you aren't going to out-compete AFL if you cannot encourage and maintain the involvement of women and kids in rugby league.

Personally I am ok with it - let a ref use their best judgement. Gallen got in trouble for calling Paea a black **** and you can't be using those slurs either racist, homophobic or otherwise. Personally I would have given him 10 mins to cool his heels, but not my call.

Sorry if you don't like it, but that's the way society is going. Demps said something similar, not sure if he's being genuine or sarcastic.

Why do you think they got tough on punching, because players were being hurt? No, because it's a bad look for the game and times change, views change about such things.

Genuine.

Take a look at schools currently, compared to when I went to school and those even older than me...

People would call each other all types of names and now it's unheard of.

Homosexual, transphobic or any general hate speech is not tolerated... Which is how it should be.

The world is becoming much more tolerant and understanding.

2017 woman of the year was Bruce Jenner.

If a gay man can run the panthers and not cop any negativity for his lifestyle choice then why should it be tolerated on the football field?

Mitch Moses pulled this card and got a spray. This could should cop the same.... Plus education. That's the key.... It's not alright to use such derogatory nonsense in this day and age.

The guy prob isn't even gay... And if he was. None of his business lol.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 5:24 pm

Oh thats right, everyone gets offended nowadays...I forgot

Go You Good Things

Post by Go You Good Things » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 5:30 pm

I wonder if all the male officials in the women's League get to hear the stuff that's said on field.
. . .Oh, hang on . . . all their officials are women.
Carry on . . . .

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 5:57 pm

jirskyr wrote:

I don't buy this "you're gonna have to get used to it, that's how society is going"

We're the ones who decide how society goes. I'm not one to conform

Abraham

Post by Abraham » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 6:04 pm

Demps wrote:
Thu 09 Aug, 2018 5:12 pm

If a gay man can run the panthers and not cop any negativity for his lifestyle choice then why should it be tolerated on the football field?
Phil Gould is gay?

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 6:06 pm

Demps wrote:
jirskyr wrote:

Genuine.

Take a look at schools currently, compared to when I went to school and those even older than me...

People would call each other all types of names and now it's unheard of.

Homosexual, transphobic or any general hate speech is not tolerated... Which is how it should be.

The world is becoming much more tolerant and understanding.

2017 woman of the year was Bruce Jenner.

Mitch Moses pulled this card and got a spray. This could should cop the same.... Plus education. That's the key.... It's not alright to use such derogatory nonsense in this day and age.

The guy prob isn't even gay... And if he was. None of his business lol.
I suppose it all depends on if you're for free speech or not.
If we want free speech it has to include all types, including "hate speech" which doesn't exist but I won't even go there.

Look at why just happened to Alex Jones, not saying I'm a Alex Jones fan but I support his right to say what he likes, because I'd like to say what I like and I think everyone should be allowed to say what they like, even if I don't agree with it or think it's offensive or whatever.

If we want to be able to speak freely EVERYTHING has to be permissible.

It's not free if someone decides whats free and what's not.

Demps

Post by Demps » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 6:58 pm

Abraham wrote:
Thu 09 Aug, 2018 6:04 pm
Demps wrote:

Phil Gould is gay?
Not openly....
#Unbeatable

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 9:59 pm

TIGER wrote:
Thu 09 Aug, 2018 5:57 pm
jirskyr wrote:

I don't buy this "you're gonna have to get used to it, that's how society is going"

We're the ones who decide how society goes. I'm not one to conform
You've just contradicted yourself.

You can't both decide how society goes, and not conform. Unless you want to help decide how society goes, watch the majority go that way, then non-conform for the sake of it.