Colman slams Gould ( Sunday Mail )

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
foreveratiger

Colman slams Gould ( Sunday Mail )

Post by foreveratiger » Sun 12 Aug, 2018 6:18 pm

SOMEONE SHOULD BRING GUS DOWN A PEG OR TWO

Who does Phil Gould think he is - God ?
Of course not . He thinks he's far more omnipotent than that . He thinks he's Phil Gould .The way Gould has carried on over the past week is breathtaking.
He has looked down at the game that has provided him with a very good living for over 40 years and treated it with contempt.
He has said " rules don't apply to me and there is nothing anyone can do about it ," And so far he's been right . As Gould has run roughshod over the NRL , disrupting its fragile ecosystem and massaging facts to suit his agenda , no one in a position of authority has stepped in to pull him into line. No one has said , " enough Gus. You don't run this game we do."
And that has just strengthened his position and reinforced his belief that he is above the game . And why wouldn't he think that ?
In the past week he has sacked a highly successful and well-respected coach in order to poach another coach who is Contracted to a rival club. He has also claimed that other coaches presently contracted to NRL clubs have contacted him in the hope that he will employ them , thus putting a question mark over the loyalty of every coach in the competition .
He has attempted to move people around like chess pieces in order to end up with the result that best suits him.
And most of all , he has snubbed his nose at the people running the game .
Nothing new about that . When ARLC Chairman Peter Beattie was in the process of taking up his new position , Gould hijacked him on television and tricked him into making a fool of himself by not knowing " which Club represents Sutherland".
Right from the get-go Gould had put Beattie in his place ; let him know who was the cleverer , the more astute , the more powerful.
And now , with every day that Beattie and the NRL don't step in and show some leadership over Gould's latest manoeuvring , the Panthers supremo's power increases.
I get the impression they are playing a " give him enough rope and he'll hang himself " game, but so far it's not working.

On Friday i spoke to Beattie and asked why he wasn't fighting back . He told me that he would attend the regular club CEOs meeting on Tuesday and , if the the clubs felt it was warranted , the NRL would take action .
" The key to the NRL's future is for everyone in the game to remember that the behaviour of players , coaches , administrators and the NRL directly impacts on our fan base - and without fans we don't have a game ," he said .
" There are rules in place to prevent young players being approached and lured by other clubs until the final year of their contract. " We didn't think it would be necessary to put the same rules in place for coaches and clubs but the events of the last week have been damaging and if we have to introduce similar rules for coaches we will have that discussion with the clubs and act ."
Enough with the discussions Peter . Just do something.
People want someone in charge who has the best interests of the entire game at heart , not just the interests of one club or one person.

And that someone is not Phil Gould
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 12 Aug, 2018 6:21 pm

I'm surprised Beattie would even know his name..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Sun 12 Aug, 2018 6:35 pm

Geo. wrote:
Sun 12 Aug, 2018 6:21 pm
I'm surprised Beattie would even know his name..
He'd know it alright. Probably gets a nervous tick every time he hears it.
"Quality Stupidity"

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 12 Aug, 2018 6:39 pm

Colmans from Brisbane...far from Gus' snipers.
The only one in Sydney going after Gus is Sharkies very own Rottfield...and we all know how well the Sharks & Panthers get on

Fibros

Post by Fibros » Sun 12 Aug, 2018 7:29 pm

I havent spoken on the coaching saga yet. But this article has forced my hand.

My take is Penrith/Gould has tried to derail Wests season. Their penalty should be a deduction of competition points. This way Penrith are penalised and Wests are compensated by gaining a finals berth. Harsh? maybe but fair? yes.
We will smash em 50+ get on.

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Sun 12 Aug, 2018 9:32 pm

Gould is an arrogant, know-it-all flog but to be fair he isn't the only person in the NRL that thinks he is bigger than the game and that the NRL should worship the ground he walks on.
Wayne Bennett and Cammy have been doing the exact same thing for years. The fact that they are Queenslanders and Mike Coleman is a QLDer as well is probably more than co-incidence. Havent heard him accusing them of the same pig-headed arrogance.

All of it just goes to highlight what an insipid, gutless bunch of fools are running the game. Too scared to stand up to anyone.

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Tue 14 Aug, 2018 8:01 am

If you listened to Goulds podcast where he explained how it went down and believe him, all he's done is deliver the message from the board to sack Griffin.
I suppose it all comes down to whether you believe him or not because he said himself he had no involvement in the talk between Cleary and his old Penrith mate.

This Coleman guy is obviously one of those qlders who just can't wait to lay the boot into Gus any chance they get.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Tue 14 Aug, 2018 8:12 am

TIGER wrote:
Tue 14 Aug, 2018 8:01 am
If you listened to Goulds podcast where he explained how it went down and believe him, all he's done is deliver the message

This Coleman guy is obviously one of those qlders who just can't wait to lay the boot into Gus any chance they get.

Haha, have you ever left your state?

So obvious you are a Gould fan.
Its an opinion!

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 14 Aug, 2018 8:56 am

A lot of assumptions from a lot of different sides are being made in this whole situation

Firstly , we are all assuming that NC and IC want to begin playing together asap , they may not be ready yet

Secondly , Rothfield said last that Gould told Beavis and Griffin that the Penrith Board "wanted" IC "Wanted" and "have" are two totally different concepts

Many are assuming that IC knew that the meeting with the Penrith CEO was to coach , it may have just been to talk about NC as Ivan is NC manager

Assuming Gus is being totally honest is dangerous , Gus as I have said in the past has a great football mind , but only when he is not involved with a club

Everything he says is to try and help Penrith

After everything we have heard we need to take Cleary's words at face value at this stage

And if NC does re-sign with Penrith it doesn't mean anything necessarily

Time to get back on with the 2018 season and attempt to secure our first finals berth in 7 years

Silentio

Post by Silentio » Tue 14 Aug, 2018 10:21 am

Gus has an ego as big as Mars but he does love the game.

That's more than can be said about some.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Tue 14 Aug, 2018 11:19 am

TIGER wrote:
If you listened to Goulds podcast where he explained how it went down and believe him, all he's done is deliver the message from the board to sack Griffin.
I suppose it all comes down to whether you believe him or not because he said himself he had no involvement in the talk between Cleary and his old Penrith mate.

Whether or not you believe Gould, his rationale is pretty flimsy - we needed to punt Griffin because Ivan was going to tell his board that Penrith had sounded him out.

I mean, what is Dave O'Neill doing talking to Ivan about coaching, if that mere act would immediately destabilise the existing coach? Was that on purpose?

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Tue 14 Aug, 2018 5:18 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Tue 14 Aug, 2018 8:12 am
TIGER wrote:
If you listened to Goulds podcast where he explained how it went down and believe him, all he's done is deliver the message

Haha, have you ever left your state?

So obvious you are a Gould fan.
I'm neither a fan or a detractor, but so what if I was a fan?
People seem to just call people liars just because they don't like them.

Kerry Cogger

Post by Kerry Cogger » Tue 14 Aug, 2018 5:27 pm

TIGER wrote:

And defend the utter NRL dimwit in Beattie at the same time. Journalists just their spewing their garbage with all this fake news. Donald Trump has 99.99% of the crap written about him trying to kick him out of office but who won the election. Journalists sense of reality seems to be drifting further and further away from that of reality.