Your Opinion on were Two New Teams Should Be Based In the NRL

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
gallagher
Member
Member
Posts: 5690
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm

Re: Your Opinion on were Two New Teams Should Be Based In the NRL

Post by gallagher » Sat 08 Sep, 2018 9:51 am

steve-o wrote:
Sat 08 Sep, 2018 5:06 am
I love the idea of a conference system. It works so well in the NFL, and I think it could work in the NRL too.
18 teams
3 conferences
Play each team in your conference twice, the other conferences once, for a total of 22 games.
Top 2 from each conference qualify for finals, plus 2 wild cards for next best records. Finals seeding based on record (so wildcard could have a higher seeding than a top 2 qualifier... NFL doesn’t do this which is flawed IMO).

2 less rounds allows origins to be stand alone, and over the same weekend you could play internationals involving NZ, Tonga, Samoa, PNG, Fiji etc.
Hows do you decide the conferences? Is it based on areas or a ranking system that would change every year?


User avatar
steve-o
Member
Member
Posts: 1998
Joined: Tue 14 Sep, 2010 4:27 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Post by steve-o » Sat 08 Sep, 2018 10:15 am

gallagher wrote:
Sat 08 Sep, 2018 9:51 am
steve-o wrote:
Sat 08 Sep, 2018 5:06 am
I love the idea of a conference system. It works so well in the NFL, and I think it could work in the NRL too.
18 teams
3 conferences
Play each team in your conference twice, the other conferences once, for a total of 22 games.
Top 2 from each conference qualify for finals, plus 2 wild cards for next best records. Finals seeding based on record (so wildcard could have a higher seeding than a top 2 qualifier... NFL doesn’t do this which is flawed IMO).

2 less rounds allows origins to be stand alone, and over the same weekend you could play internationals involving NZ, Tonga, Samoa, PNG, Fiji etc.
Hows do you decide the conferences? Is it based on areas or a ranking system that would change every year?
They should base it on area in order to maximise existing rivalries and minimise travel. So it should be the same every year, which also helps to further establish rivalries.
Something like...

North/South Conference
Broncos
Cowboys
Titans
Storm
Warriors
Raiders

West Conference
Tigers
Eels
Bulldogs
Panthers
Perth
Adelaide

East Conference
Roosters
Rabbitohs
Sharks
Dragons
Sea Eagles
Knights
Year of last finals appearance:
2018 - Roosters, Storm, Rabbitohs, Sharks, Panthers, Broncos, Dragons, Warriors
2017 - Eels, Sea Eagles, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers

User avatar
Yossarian
Member
Member
Posts: 9800
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 7:46 pm
Location: Central Coast

Post by Yossarian » Sat 08 Sep, 2018 11:31 am

steve-o wrote:
Sat 08 Sep, 2018 10:15 am
gallagher wrote:
Sat 08 Sep, 2018 9:51 am
steve-o wrote:
Sat 08 Sep, 2018 5:06 am
I love the idea of a conference system. It works so well in the NFL, and I think it could work in the NRL too.
18 teams
3 conferences
Play each team in your conference twice, the other conferences once, for a total of 22 games.
Top 2 from each conference qualify for finals, plus 2 wild cards for next best records. Finals seeding based on record (so wildcard could have a higher seeding than a top 2 qualifier... NFL doesn’t do this which is flawed IMO).

2 less rounds allows origins to be stand alone, and over the same weekend you could play internationals involving NZ, Tonga, Samoa, PNG, Fiji etc.
Hows do you decide the conferences? Is it based on areas or a ranking system that would change every year?
They should base it on area in order to maximise existing rivalries and minimise travel. So it should be the same every year, which also helps to further establish rivalries.
Something like...

North/South Conference
Broncos
Cowboys
Titans
Storm
Warriors
Raiders

West Conference
Tigers
Eels
Bulldogs
Panthers
Perth
Adelaide

East Conference
Roosters
Rabbitohs
Sharks
Dragons
Sea Eagles
Knights
Allow me to place on my whinging supporter hat... Great it's on.

Why do Manly and the Roosters get to play a whole bunch more away games in Sydney when my team gets Adelaide and Perth? Our home crowd will suffer and I'm no chance of getting to Perth. Stupid NRL!

User avatar
steve-o
Member
Member
Posts: 1998
Joined: Tue 14 Sep, 2010 4:27 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Post by steve-o » Sat 08 Sep, 2018 11:56 am

Yossarian wrote:
Sat 08 Sep, 2018 11:31 am
steve-o wrote:
Sat 08 Sep, 2018 10:15 am
gallagher wrote:
Sat 08 Sep, 2018 9:51 am
steve-o wrote:
Sat 08 Sep, 2018 5:06 am
I love the idea of a conference system. It works so well in the NFL, and I think it could work in the NRL too.
18 teams
3 conferences
Play each team in your conference twice, the other conferences once, for a total of 22 games.
Top 2 from each conference qualify for finals, plus 2 wild cards for next best records. Finals seeding based on record (so wildcard could have a higher seeding than a top 2 qualifier... NFL doesn’t do this which is flawed IMO).

2 less rounds allows origins to be stand alone, and over the same weekend you could play internationals involving NZ, Tonga, Samoa, PNG, Fiji etc.
Hows do you decide the conferences? Is it based on areas or a ranking system that would change every year?
They should base it on area in order to maximise existing rivalries and minimise travel. So it should be the same every year, which also helps to further establish rivalries.
Something like...

North/South Conference
Broncos
Cowboys
Titans
Storm
Warriors
Raiders

West Conference
Tigers
Eels
Bulldogs
Panthers
Perth
Adelaide

East Conference
Roosters
Rabbitohs
Sharks
Dragons
Sea Eagles
Knights
Allow me to place on my whinging supporter hat... Great it's on.

Why do Manly and the Roosters get to play a whole bunch more away games in Sydney when my team gets Adelaide and Perth? Our home crowd will suffer and I'm no chance of getting to Perth. Stupid NRL!
Haha very good.
I don’t think this will ever happen by the way. It makes too much sense for the NRL to implement it or for the average rugby league fan to see the benefits... your average pundit thinks every team playing one another twice is the solution. Never mind the fact that the players would never go for a 30 week season, let alone 34 weeks!

By the way, my answer to your phony complaint would be that if “my team” needed to travel to Perth/Adelaide during finals time, they would be more accustomed to the travel than Manly or Rooosters.
Year of last finals appearance:
2018 - Roosters, Storm, Rabbitohs, Sharks, Panthers, Broncos, Dragons, Warriors
2017 - Eels, Sea Eagles, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers

User avatar
Demps
Member
Member
Posts: 8380
Joined: Sat 29 Jan, 2011 2:31 pm
Location: Newcastle

Post by Demps » Sat 08 Sep, 2018 12:31 pm

Wests tigers absorb Penrith and Parramatta.... Become the Western Wildcats.

Cuts down the Syd clubs.

Perth Pirates
Central Coast Bears

... Easy as that.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.


happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 41455
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm
Location: Watching Waiting Lurking

Post by happy tiger » Sat 08 Sep, 2018 9:35 pm

gallagher wrote:
Sat 08 Sep, 2018 9:49 am
happy tiger wrote:
Fri 07 Sep, 2018 11:44 pm
gallagher wrote:
Fri 07 Sep, 2018 9:16 pm
steve-o wrote:
Fri 07 Sep, 2018 8:27 pm

I agree that we don’t have the leaders to expand successfully. I don’t even think expansion is on the agenda, despite NRL head office saying it is. The current set of clubs have way too much influence on the game - they robbed the NRL during the last negotiations, and now I don’t think the NRL has the required funds needed to invest in the expanded areas.

In regards to Brisbane... adding a team just to dilute the power of the Broncos is a ridiculous reason for expansion. Don’t get me wrong I hate the Broncos and the advantages they have, but we should be finding ways to get other clubs on the same level as them off the field, and change policies that are giving them advantages - for example more transparency on player salaries/TPAs, fairer schedules, relocation or merger of Sydney teams etc
Bringing in another team had many upsides. Diluting the Broncos advantage is just one. How would clubs ever get on their level when they have a 2.4m population all to themselves?
Yes I totally agree , but it would be far more effective by bringing in either an Ipswich team or a Sunshine Coast side in my opinion

I don't think taking Brisbane on would be ideal for a new club as a Brisbane side , but Ipswich will be a direct competitor and more likely to get alternative sponsorship as would the Sunny Coast

I know this is a bit hard to explain , but the second the second Brisbane side becomes decided little brother it will fail like the Crushers did

Ipswich or the Sunshine Coast get a chip on their shoulder and can use it their advantage like the Cows did

Does that make sense ??
I don't know the south east Qld region well like you soo youd have a better idea than me. But if you put in Ipswich for example would people outside that area get behind the team? Would they play out of Suncorp?
To give you an idea of populations Rockhampton which is the CQ bid is only an 80 000 population , Ipswich is 200 000 which makes it bigger than Townsville

Probably , but you could quite easily turn the North Ipswich Reserve into a big Stadium , about a 400 metre walk from the railway station

User avatar
TIGER
Member
Member
Posts: 3499
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 10:40 am

Post by TIGER » Mon 10 Sep, 2018 7:48 pm

Relocate the Dogs to the Rocks

User avatar
Cairnstigers
Member
Member
Posts: 1015
Joined: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 10:00 pm

Post by Cairnstigers » Mon 10 Sep, 2018 8:12 pm

6 teams left
5 of them sydney clubs
Why relocate any of them
But if you had to
Parramatta Manly and Dogs into one club
They could be called the "Slimy Manly Dogs"
Also two less teams to hate

Clearyweareone
Member
Member
Posts: 227
Joined: Thu 22 Feb, 2018 9:23 pm

Post by Clearyweareone » Mon 10 Sep, 2018 8:23 pm

Not enough talent for current 16 team competition.

Would look about cutting teams to 12 and everyone plays everyone twice in a season.

Sydney to have 4 teams (don't care if teams merge or die) and the other 8 made up of Newcastle, Canberra, Warriors, Cowboys, Titans, Broncos. Melbourne and a newly formed QLD team to complete with the Broncos talent.

The four Sydney teams will be North, Souths, Easts and West covering all parts of Sydney.

User avatar
Tiger Steve
Member
Member
Posts: 2104
Joined: Wed 29 Mar, 2017 5:30 pm
Location: Chatswood West

Post by Tiger Steve » Mon 10 Sep, 2018 9:28 pm

TIGER wrote:
Mon 10 Sep, 2018 7:48 pm
Relocate the Dogs to the Rocks
:roll
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

User avatar
Cairnstigers
Member
Member
Posts: 1015
Joined: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 10:00 pm

Post by Cairnstigers » Mon 10 Sep, 2018 10:06 pm

Clearyweareone wrote:
Mon 10 Sep, 2018 8:23 pm
Not enough talent for current 16 team competition.

Would look about cutting teams to 12 and everyone plays everyone twice in a season.

Sydney to have 4 teams (don't care if teams merge or die) and the other 8 made up of Newcastle, Canberra, Warriors, Cowboys, Titans, Broncos. Melbourne and a newly formed QLD team to complete with the Broncos talent.

The four Sydney teams will be North, Souths, Easts and West covering all parts of Sydney.
And who are we if we aren't the wests Tigers
You cant keep on making original clubs obsolete
We need the history in our game

Are you a tiger or are you a west

Are you a souths or are you a Rabbit

If your a supporter then you support the name not the location

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 2255
Joined: Mon 29 Aug, 2016 8:52 am

Post by TCL » Tue 11 Sep, 2018 6:54 am

Cairnstigers wrote:
Mon 10 Sep, 2018 10:06 pm
Clearyweareone wrote:
Mon 10 Sep, 2018 8:23 pm
Not enough talent for current 16 team competition.

Would look about cutting teams to 12 and everyone plays everyone twice in a season.

Sydney to have 4 teams (don't care if teams merge or die) and the other 8 made up of Newcastle, Canberra, Warriors, Cowboys, Titans, Broncos. Melbourne and a newly formed QLD team to complete with the Broncos talent.

The four Sydney teams will be North, Souths, Easts and West covering all parts of Sydney.
And who are we if we aren't the wests Tigers
You cant keep on making original clubs obsolete
We need the history in our game

Are you a tiger or are you a west

Are you a souths or are you a Rabbit

If your a supporter then you support the name not the location
I personaly think there is enough talent in the NRL however, the cap is not managed properly by the NRL so 4 or 5 teams have the lions share of the talent pool.

Bris and Perth should be our expansion plans, PNG is another important one but I'm not sure of the management options for a team out of PNG.

Dump the eels, manly, roosters and sharks or merge them and call them them the Sydney cheaters.

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 41455
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm
Location: Watching Waiting Lurking

Post by happy tiger » Tue 11 Sep, 2018 7:46 am

Clearyweareone wrote:
Mon 10 Sep, 2018 8:23 pm
Not enough talent for current 16 team competition.

Would look about cutting teams to 12 and everyone plays everyone twice in a season.

Sydney to have 4 teams (don't care if teams merge or die) and the other 8 made up of Newcastle, Canberra, Warriors, Cowboys, Titans, Broncos. Melbourne and a newly formed QLD team to complete with the Broncos talent.

The four Sydney teams will be North, Souths, Easts and West covering all parts of Sydney.
Lot of NRL talent in the ESL , have to be 20-30 NRL standard players over there at least

We have enough talent , but too many teams in one area fighting for limited talent

If the NRL has the balls , stick to their guns and are prepared to back relocated sides long term ( basically one generation ) the fans will come and pick up the slack /support

User avatar
Cultured Bogan
Member
Member
Posts: 18309
Joined: Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Blue Mountains

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 11 Sep, 2018 7:56 am

Would like to see another Brisbane team to dilute the Broncos a bit. A city of 5 million in Sydney supports nine sides, and Brisbane only has one with a population of 2 million? They could probably support another two quite comfortably.

Would like to see Perth or Adelaide get a go next, Perth would have to be further ahead I would think in terms of Rugby League development pathways and the like. Would open up a good timeslot for the NRL and broadcasters as well.

Yeah it would be good to see the Bears back, and it would be good to see a Central Coast side (not necessarily implying that it should be the Bears there either,) but unfortunately I think the NRL has made it clear that time has passed. They don't seem interested in entertaining the Bears whatsoever with the rejection of their Titans buyout. The CC would be a good place to setup one day but the focus should be expansion of the game, and then look at consolidating in regions like the CC later on.

PNG would be good one day. They are nuts for RL but there are obvious concerns with security and wanting to get players to be based there. Wouldn't mind also seeing a Central Western NSW team based at Orange or Bathurst but not sure how successful that would be.
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Tigerdon
Member
Member
Posts: 4140
Joined: Mon 07 Apr, 2014 11:07 am
Location: Manly

Post by Tigerdon » Tue 11 Sep, 2018 8:08 am

happy tiger wrote:
Tue 11 Sep, 2018 7:46 am
Clearyweareone wrote:
Mon 10 Sep, 2018 8:23 pm
Not enough talent for current 16 team competition.

Would look about cutting teams to 12 and everyone plays everyone twice in a season.

Sydney to have 4 teams (don't care if teams merge or die) and the other 8 made up of Newcastle, Canberra, Warriors, Cowboys, Titans, Broncos. Melbourne and a newly formed QLD team to complete with the Broncos talent.

The four Sydney teams will be North, Souths, Easts and West covering all parts of Sydney.
Lot of NRL talent in the ESL , have to be 20-30 NRL standard players over there at least

We have enough talent , but too many teams in one area fighting for limited talent

If the NRL has the balls , stick to their guns and are prepared to back relocated sides long term ( basically one generation ) the fans will come and pick up the slack /support
I think there is currently enough talent in the NRL with the 16 teams and I’d like the game to expand (not contract). The conference idea has a lot of merit imo.
We saw what Hayne’s couple of games in NFL did for NFL in Australia. The NRL should look to do the same in the Asia/Pacific area.
Grow the game.
in Ivan we distrust

User avatar
Cairnstigers
Member
Member
Posts: 1015
Joined: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 10:00 pm

Post by Cairnstigers » Tue 11 Sep, 2018 12:36 pm

I dont think you will ever get full house crowds anymore unless it's a special occasion or some other kind of pre entertainment brings the crowds

Just think about it
The price to go and watch a game at the ground can cost up to $60 depending where you go
Even if its $30 then two games is more than paying for Fox to watch all games live for a whole month along with channel nine

Fox and channel nine dont want you at the game
They want you at home watching so they have a bigger audience
That means more valuable advertising space for them and more revenue
This in return means more money for the league and
More money for the players

Many people cant afford both Fox and to go to the game live
For most it's one or the other

Maybe they should look at putting on women's rugby league as the pre entertainment until they can stand on thier own two feet

User avatar
Tigerstruck
Member
Member
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri 21 Apr, 2017 9:10 am

Post by Tigerstruck » Tue 11 Sep, 2018 5:00 pm

My heart is saying CC, would love to see the Bears back in the comp, but my head is saying Brisbane.
A RL city with 2.4 million only supporting one club? I think that we need to get a team that Brisbane can compete with up there, would make another rivalry too over time.

Also liking the conference idea, but the NRL will never implement it, too much work on their behalf

Balmainbred
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed 17 May, 2017 4:33 pm

Post by Balmainbred » Tue 11 Sep, 2018 6:42 pm

Ipswich based side a must, take the dominance in Brisbane away from the donkeys. Had it all to there self for to long. Very strong junior base out there. And a very big expanding area. I’m pretty sure the Brisbane Lions have done a deal to move out west from the Gabba.

Post Reply