Ivan Cleary - THREAD..

Sunnycoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 331
Joined: Fri 04 Mar, 2011 9:45 am
Location: SunshineCoast

Re: Ivan Cleary - THREAD..

Post by Sunnycoast tiger » Sun 23 Sep, 2018 12:17 pm

TYGA wrote:
Sun 23 Sep, 2018 10:55 am
Pascoes strategy is high risk. Can we retain Brooks, Liddle, Marsters and attract talent over the next 2 years? Better off moving on with Maguire on a 5 year deal we need stability. Penrith are unethical and Cleary is tarnished badly but who wins the negotiation is irrelevant. It’s whats best for the Tigers and if that is keeping Cleary we are really kidding ourselves.
Not sold on Maguire, Adam O'Brien would be a better long-term coach. Where Maguire would be good for two/three years only. O'Brien will also know storms best up and coming players, just IMO.


hsvjones
Member
Member
Posts: 300
Joined: Wed 02 Mar, 2011 9:26 pm

Post by hsvjones » Sun 23 Sep, 2018 12:29 pm

Gus going on about they have develop NC and the NRL know its best for the game and western Sydney as he would be the face of it.... Yeah that right.. Just like you poaching our coach (yes it will happen) and others.. Don't hear him say anything about the Roosters when they poach players consistently when that player would of been the face of there old club.. He is a Joke

User avatar
Tiger Steve
Member
Member
Posts: 1889
Joined: Wed 29 Mar, 2017 5:30 pm
Location: Chatswood West

Post by Tiger Steve » Sun 23 Sep, 2018 1:31 pm

Hooper giving it to Ivan Cleary on MMM. Said he has lost respect for Ivan. Said Tigers supporters all bought into the rebuild theme and now Cleary acting hypocritically (my word not his). Said he’d be happy for Cleary to go now. Great to hear someone stand up for our club. I know there are many different opinions on this forum regarding this but I am convinced Cleary needs to go.

Now there is word that Manly want Madge.
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

User avatar
vlad
Member
Member
Posts: 909
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 7:56 pm

Post by vlad » Sun 23 Sep, 2018 1:34 pm

Sunnycoast tiger wrote:
Sun 23 Sep, 2018 12:17 pm
TYGA wrote:
Sun 23 Sep, 2018 10:55 am
Pascoes strategy is high risk. Can we retain Brooks, Liddle, Marsters and attract talent over the next 2 years? Better off moving on with Maguire on a 5 year deal we need stability. Penrith are unethical and Cleary is tarnished badly but who wins the negotiation is irrelevant. It’s whats best for the Tigers and if that is keeping Cleary we are really kidding ourselves.
Not sold on Maguire, Adam O'Brien would be a better long-term coach. Where Maguire would be good for two/three years only. O'Brien will also know storms best up and coming players, just IMO.
Not sold on McGuire either . Last 2 years at Souths were 12th & 12th .
But I was dubious when Sheens signed on after average years at the Cowboys .

User avatar
Swordy
Member
Member
Posts: 1945
Joined: Fri 02 Jul, 2010 9:34 pm

Post by Swordy » Sun 23 Sep, 2018 2:10 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Sun 23 Sep, 2018 1:31 pm
Hooper giving it to Ivan Cleary on MMM. Said he has lost respect for Ivan. Said Tigers supporters all bought into the rebuild theme and now Cleary acting hypocritically (my word not his). Said he’d be happy for Cleary to go now. Great to hear someone stand up for our club. I know there are many different opinions on this forum regarding this but I am convinced Cleary needs to go.

Now there is word that Manly want Madge.
Maguire was interviewed a few weeks ago and when asked about manly, he said everything but No. I think he knows that is a mess with no future. Thats from his own mouth, not journo fairytales.

As for Hooper, he is up there with Weidler, Crawley, Rothfield, Brent Read. All pathetic. Supporter of WT or not. Was once a good reporter but is clearly towing the tabloid line now.
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!


User avatar
Tiger Steve
Member
Member
Posts: 1889
Joined: Wed 29 Mar, 2017 5:30 pm
Location: Chatswood West

Post by Tiger Steve » Sun 23 Sep, 2018 2:15 pm

Swordy wrote:
Sun 23 Sep, 2018 2:10 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
Sun 23 Sep, 2018 1:31 pm
Hooper giving it to Ivan Cleary on MMM. Said he has lost respect for Ivan. Said Tigers supporters all bought into the rebuild theme and now Cleary acting hypocritically (my word not his). Said he’d be happy for Cleary to go now. Great to hear someone stand up for our club. I know there are many different opinions on this forum regarding this but I am convinced Cleary needs to go.

Now there is word that Manly want Madge.
Maguire was interviewed a few weeks ago and when asked about manly, he said everything but No. I think he knows that is a mess with no future. Thats from his own mouth, not journo fairytales.

As for Hooper, he is up there with Weidler, Crawley, Rothfield, Brent Read. All pathetic. Supporter of WT or not. Was once a good reporter but is clearly towing the tabloid line now.
I agree Swordy about Hooper but it was nice to hear someone finally call this mess for what it is and stick up for our club. I actually felt the last part of his rant was coming from the heart.
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 29290
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Sun 23 Sep, 2018 2:21 pm

jadtiger wrote:
Fri 21 Sep, 2018 4:45 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
Fri 21 Sep, 2018 4:21 pm
jadtiger wrote:
Thu 20 Sep, 2018 11:16 pm
bigsiro wrote:
Thu 20 Sep, 2018 9:48 pm
I was going to suggest a poll but there are barely any pro-Cleary voices left...

I almost think we want him gone more than we wanted Taylor gone.
There are more than you think that want Ivan to finish the job he started. However we are not as noisy and vitriolic as the witch hunters.
Why is it that having an alternate opinion makes you a witch hunter? Can’t we have a sophisticated debate where alternate views are raised and discussed?

My opinion is that Cleary needs to go if his intention is to sign with Penrith. Don’t believe I’m hunting him in any way.
The reason i use the term "witch hunter" is because everything is based on media speculation and imagination.Not a single fact.I have no objection to people having a different opinion to mine on this or any other subject but at least stick to facts not rumours based on speculation
My thoughts too Jad, well said
Im only going by what we know for certain, what Pascoe & Cleary have quoted...of course im not naive enough to think that some bending of the truth may be going on, or not all facts are being presented.

But too many here really grab any speculation that suits their opinion, even the mythical extension was a mere suggestion by Pom, many now treating it as fact...btw old pom hasnt yet told us who mystery player is we missed out on yet???

At this stage im happy for him to see out his final two years as hes said he would...Brooks' words dont concern me he was very non commital and diplomatic...they all know why theyre there and the job they have to do...if things change as they can suddenly do in RL well we cross that bridge when we come to it

User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 29290
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Sun 23 Sep, 2018 2:26 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Sun 23 Sep, 2018 1:31 pm
Hooper giving it to Ivan Cleary on MMM. Said he has lost respect for Ivan. Said Tigers supporters all bought into the rebuild theme and now Cleary acting hypocritically (my word not his). Said he’d be happy for Cleary to go now. Great to hear someone stand up for our club. I know there are many different opinions on this forum regarding this but I am convinced Cleary needs to go.

Now there is word that Manly want Madge.
Seriously, letting Hooper influence you?
He is a maggott.

User avatar
Tiger Steve
Member
Member
Posts: 1889
Joined: Wed 29 Mar, 2017 5:30 pm
Location: Chatswood West

Post by Tiger Steve » Sun 23 Sep, 2018 2:32 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Sun 23 Sep, 2018 2:26 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
Sun 23 Sep, 2018 1:31 pm
Hooper giving it to Ivan Cleary on MMM. Said he has lost respect for Ivan. Said Tigers supporters all bought into the rebuild theme and now Cleary acting hypocritically (my word not his). Said he’d be happy for Cleary to go now. Great to hear someone stand up for our club. I know there are many different opinions on this forum regarding this but I am convinced Cleary needs to go.

Now there is word that Manly want Madge.
Seriously, letting Hooper influence you?
He is a maggott.
I’ve made my own mind up about Cleary so wasn’t influenced by Hooper. But I agree with his sentiments on this occasion.
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

Spud Murphy
Member
Member
Posts: 2354
Joined: Sat 13 May, 2017 5:04 pm
Location: Third Heaven

Post by Spud Murphy » Sun 23 Sep, 2018 2:51 pm

I'm happy for Cleary to stay with us for the rest of his contract. He can still do a lot in 2 years and I'm sure he is professional enough to give it his best shot. I will also be ok if he decides to move on at the end of his contract if he wants to, it's his prerogative. 3 years should be enough for him to do what he does best - build the team up to a point where another coach can take over and take them to the next level. Hopefully a top line coach off contract :)

Recruitment is my only concern at the moment, but surely we can attract more decent players if Cleary is definitely staying on for 2 more seasons - it's a long time in rugby league, anything can happen. Any possible signings just need to be assured he is sticking around without all the media BS getting into their heads.

Newtown
Member
Member
Posts: 5620
Joined: Fri 28 Sep, 2012 8:40 am

Post by Newtown » Sun 23 Sep, 2018 3:13 pm

Spud Murphy wrote:
Sun 23 Sep, 2018 2:51 pm
I'm happy for Cleary to stay with us for the rest of his contract. He can still do a lot in 2 years and I'm sure he is professional enough to give it his best shot. I will also be ok if he decides to move on at the end of his contract if he wants to, it's his prerogative. 3 years should be enough for him to do what he does best - build the team up to a point where another coach can take over and take them to the next level. Hopefully a top line coach off contract :)

Recruitment is my only concern at the moment, but surely we can attract more decent players if Cleary is definitely staying on for 2 more seasons - it's a long time in rugby league, anything can happen. Any possible signings just need to be assured he is sticking around without all the media BS getting into their heads.
there will be no problems with recruitment if he commits to 2 years with Wests Tigers and Penrith shortly sign up Ciraldo or another coach for 2019/2020.

User avatar
851
Member
Member
Posts: 6364
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 6:38 pm

Post by 851 » Sun 23 Sep, 2018 3:16 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Sun 23 Sep, 2018 2:26 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
Sun 23 Sep, 2018 1:31 pm
Hooper giving it to Ivan Cleary on MMM. Said he has lost respect for Ivan. Said Tigers supporters all bought into the rebuild theme and now Cleary acting hypocritically (my word not his). Said he’d be happy for Cleary to go now. Great to hear someone stand up for our club. I know there are many different opinions on this forum regarding this but I am convinced Cleary needs to go.

Now there is word that Manly want Madge.
Seriously, letting Hooper influence you?
He is a maggott.
Regardless of what Hooper says, I cant see how having a coach who is commited to another team in 2 seasons time is ever going to work.
He will have his eye on penrith and their recruitment, you cant be doing your job properly when you are keeping check of 2 teams.
And the media circus for 2 more years would be a huge turn off to any potential recruits, plus a huge distraction for our team.
If it is found he is going to penrith, he has to go, and go now before preseason kicks off
Go hard or go home

User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 29290
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Sun 23 Sep, 2018 3:27 pm

Well...as Pascoe noted, half the clubs dont have a coach lined up past next year...so there will be a lot of off-contract, confused & turned off NRL players about

User avatar
Swordy
Member
Member
Posts: 1945
Joined: Fri 02 Jul, 2010 9:34 pm

Post by Swordy » Sun 23 Sep, 2018 3:44 pm

Even the worst coach won't be thinking about their plans in 2 years, their reputation is today. They aren't the solitary man in recruiting, not ideal, but it's not wrist slashing time.

And we all know the Gould might even change his mind before the time came anyway.

As with any player (many of whom sign 12 months ahead of time), they need to do their best to protect their brand. Ivan Cleary is no different,
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

bathursttiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2775
Joined: Thu 02 Dec, 2010 5:21 pm

Post by bathursttiger » Sun 23 Sep, 2018 3:45 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Sun 23 Sep, 2018 1:31 pm
Hooper giving it to Ivan Cleary on MMM. Said he has lost respect for Ivan. Said Tigers supporters all bought into the rebuild theme and now Cleary acting hypocritically (my word not his). Said he’d be happy for Cleary to go now. Great to hear someone stand up for our club. I know there are many different opinions on this forum regarding this but I am convinced Cleary needs to go.

Now there is word that Manly want Madge.
Madge has demanded too many things in regards to staff etc for Manly’s liking.
Remember the Penn’s are watching the pennies and don’t like spending anything.

User avatar
Swordy
Member
Member
Posts: 1945
Joined: Fri 02 Jul, 2010 9:34 pm

Post by Swordy » Sun 23 Sep, 2018 3:45 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Sun 23 Sep, 2018 2:15 pm
Swordy wrote:
Sun 23 Sep, 2018 2:10 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
Sun 23 Sep, 2018 1:31 pm
Hooper giving it to Ivan Cleary on MMM. Said he has lost respect for Ivan. Said Tigers supporters all bought into the rebuild theme and now Cleary acting hypocritically (my word not his). Said he’d be happy for Cleary to go now. Great to hear someone stand up for our club. I know there are many different opinions on this forum regarding this but I am convinced Cleary needs to go.

Now there is word that Manly want Madge.
Maguire was interviewed a few weeks ago and when asked about manly, he said everything but No. I think he knows that is a mess with no future. Thats from his own mouth, not journo fairytales.

As for Hooper, he is up there with Weidler, Crawley, Rothfield, Brent Read. All pathetic. Supporter of WT or not. Was once a good reporter but is clearly towing the tabloid line now.
I agree Swordy about Hooper but it was nice to hear someone finally call this mess for what it is and stick up for our club. I actually felt the last part of his rant was coming from the heart.
I probably agree mate.
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

krayola
Member
Member
Posts: 723
Joined: Sat 26 Jun, 2010 10:12 am

Post by krayola » Sun 23 Sep, 2018 4:00 pm

If Ivan leaves he is making a mistake. His talk has proven to be very cheap and his actions, ultimately, self-serving.
One of my sources is Pascoe

User avatar
vlad
Member
Member
Posts: 909
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 7:56 pm

Post by vlad » Sun 23 Sep, 2018 4:31 pm

bathursttiger wrote:
Sun 23 Sep, 2018 3:45 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
Sun 23 Sep, 2018 1:31 pm
Hooper giving it to Ivan Cleary on MMM. Said he has lost respect for Ivan. Said Tigers supporters all bought into the rebuild theme and now Cleary acting hypocritically (my word not his). Said he’d be happy for Cleary to go now. Great to hear someone stand up for our club. I know there are many different opinions on this forum regarding this but I am convinced Cleary needs to go.

Now there is word that Manly want Madge.
Madge has demanded too many things in regards to staff etc for Manly’s liking.
Remember the Penn’s are watching the pennies and don’t like spending anything.
Plastic chairs ?

Locked