Tue 02 Oct, 2018 6:34 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 4:49 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 3:57 pm

You certainly like putting words in other people’s mouth
I don’t think I mentioned current players at all,
Let's revisit
goldcoast tiger wrote: I doubt that many other players that aspired to play at the top, would have stayed here either
You are talking expressly of the exact moment when Tedesco left, not a day before, not after? So when he signed for Roosters May 2017, you "doubt that many others players who aspired to play at the top would have stayed either". Ergo, players who did stay, you doubt they aspire to play at the top?

18 of the 30 players who played with Tedesco in 2017 stayed at Tigers in 2018, i.e. are current players.
Glad you can tell me what day im talkiing about,, do you have the time as well
I was talking about around that time, I should got you to write my post

I was referring to the fact that there werent many players that were at that level that would have stayed
and knocked back that offer
Can you tell me who else was offered the same contract
Well now you are speculating on the content of Tedesco's offer and whether or not other similar players would have taken it. Pointless speculation in my opinion. The point is Tedesco left and you can't defend it by supposing what other players may or may not have done in his place.

I get that you feel he was justified to go to a "better" club, so that's fine and we've had a good discussion about it. I don't agree.

What's even worse is, beyond Tedesco the player, this season has simply validated the Roosters' approach to spend mega bucks on top-tier footballers. They signed 2 of the top 4 or 5 players in the entire game in 2017, added them to an already strong roster and walked away with the premiership. Happy days, what a positive outcome for the game. I can only hope they sign a few more awesome footballers like Munster and Taupau and really give the middle finger to everyone else.
Clubs have bought premierships for years, Manly did it , St George did it ,
regularly, Wests tried to do it and almost succeeded.
And gues what’s Jirskyr,,,,,,,, your shining light Souths, also did it with buying the Burghii. Surprise, surprise.
We should be trying to learn from clubs like the Roosters and be more like them rather than denigrating them because they’re sucessful

Nick Politis and Mark Bouris bring a whole lot more to the Roosters than just money,
We have HT...........
They mentor players and make sure that players have opportunities after they stop playing
We have Marina and her mob !
Who do what?. And attract what?.
The only reason that we don’t buy a premiership , is that we don’t have The money or a board that attracts money
We don’t have a ground of of our own in one locality,
We can’t attract the type of players /Coaches that we need,.
And we don’t seem to be able to keep /identify the good juniors that we do bring through.
We all want to see the club at the top. But some want the top to come down to our level,

Russell

Post by Russell » Wed 03 Oct, 2018 7:55 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Wed 03 Oct, 2018 3:54 am
jirskyr wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 8:42 pm
gallagher wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 5:47 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 5:24 pm

I fail to see the relevance.
Well the 18 who stayed may aspire to play at the top but didnt stay here because of that. They mostly stayed due to no other choice. You think someone like MCK would be here if the chooks came knocking?
Honestly now you are being silly. Yes sure, all of our Top 30 are here because they don't have a choice, and if Roosters came in the night for any of them, they'd be off faster than a bride's nightie.

In fact I can hear something right now, a dull murmuring... oh it's the collective prayers of the current Tigers roster, praying that Saint Uncle Nick visits them this Christmas and offers a blue, white and red jersey to put on.
At last we can agree on something, there’d be tyre marks all over the club parking area, from all the players on the way to Bondi.
Three players left here around that time , and one other most probably would have as well,Except no other club was chasing him.
It's been said many times - you must have been doing your Rip van Winkle impersonation.

He was chased by Melbourne but wanted to stay with us.

Russell

Post by Russell » Wed 03 Oct, 2018 8:11 am

momo&medo wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 10:38 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 8:51 pm
momo&medo wrote:
Snake wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 12:05 pm
We can moan and groan about the NRL all we like , the reality is OUR club has to decide what it wants for itself , supporters and stakeholders .
The club can not make a decision to play at one home ground as it will upset set a few .., who cares the shackles have to be broken, the other is the training facilities there is this pie in the sky plan for Concord ! When is this coming on line ?. Imo the club is spreading itself to thin , consolidating its area and home ground and putting all there resources into that decision is the only way the club will be a major force .
Agree with this .... the facts are very much that we live in the environment where it’s bleeding obvious that there are just too many inner city teams in Sydney and that must change. WT have a OUT and a advantage which is staring them in the face but they refuse to take. It’s because of our history and our generation of administrators and supporters which are very reluctant to accept ...... that permanent move to outer west is our future.
Until we focus on that move in all it’s entirety I’m afraid we will be stuck in our little time warp and success will be very hard to achieve.
Are you guys talking about a permanent and complete move to Campbelltown? I personally think it is a risky decision on business grounds. Magpies made the move decades ago and it didn't make them a financial powerhouse.

A centralised single home base - I could live with that. I love Leichhardt, but they could go back once a year for a retro round and get 18K.
We won’t survive stuck between the city and western powerhouses of NRL. Just my opinion of course.
I think Campbelltown people have not accepted us because they view West’s Tigers as fly by night team which has never fully embraced the area.
Yep 30-40 years is a fly by night scenario - we have played games in the Campbelltown area for far too long, put into the hospitals, schools etc. with visits, promotions etc. far too long.

What have we been given in return to offer encouragement to increase our presence in the area - I'll tell you. Nothing.

Poor attendance and a whole lot of whinging. The area does not want to get behind Rugby League - either Western Suburbs or Wests Tigers. Souths played one game at CSS and the Mayor was singing their praises of how they embrace the area and the Tigers do not.

As for Leichhardt Oval being our spiritual home - maybe it is, maybe it isn't - our spiritual home is definitely not CSS.

What can you do with an area like that - except leave it.

I think that we should embrace WSS as our home ground - how the games are split, who knows, I'd suggest 8 at WSS, 3 at LO and 1 at Tamworth.

Give Macarthur the flick - like they give us when we play there, then we might do some good.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Wed 03 Oct, 2018 8:24 am

Russell wrote:
Wed 03 Oct, 2018 8:11 am
momo&medo wrote:
jirskyr wrote:
momo&medo wrote:

Agree with this .... the facts are very much that we live in the environment where it’s bleeding obvious that there are just too many inner city teams in Sydney and that must change. WT have a OUT and a advantage which is staring them in the face but they refuse to take. It’s because of our history and our generation of administrators and supporters which are very reluctant to accept ...... that permanent move to outer west is our future.
Until we focus on that move in all it’s entirety I’m afraid we will be stuck in our little time warp and success will be very hard to achieve.
Are you guys talking about a permanent and complete move to Campbelltown? I personally think it is a risky decision on business grounds. Magpies made the move decades ago and it didn't make them a financial powerhouse.

A centralised single home base - I could live with that. I love Leichhardt, but they could go back once a year for a retro round and get 18K.
We won’t survive stuck between the city and western powerhouses of NRL. Just my opinion of course.
I think Campbelltown people have not accepted us because they view West’s Tigers as fly by night team which has never fully embraced the area.
Yep 30-40 years is a fly by night scenario - we have played games in the Campbelltown area for far too long, put into the hospitals, schools etc. with visits, promotions etc. far too long.

What have we been given in return to offer encouragement to increase our presence in the area - I'll tell you. Nothing.

Poor attendance and a whole lot of whinging. The area does not want to get behind Rugby League - either Western Suburbs or Wests Tigers. Souths played one game at CSS and the Mayor was singing their praises of how they embrace the area and the Tigers do not.

As for Leichhardt Oval being our spiritual home - maybe it is, maybe it isn't - our spiritual home is definitely not CSS.

I think that we should embrace WSS as our home ground - how the games are split, who knows, I'd suggest 8 at WSS, 3 at LO and 1 at Tamworth.

Give Macarthur the flick - like they give us when we play there, then we might do some good.
My kids go to school in the region. Both are more interested in GWS due to players visiting their school. The oldest is in year 3 and has had half a dozen visits and Auskick seminars.

The tigers have been once and send McIllwrick and 2 under 20s players

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Wed 03 Oct, 2018 11:42 am

Harvey wrote:
Wed 03 Oct, 2018 8:24 am
Russell wrote:
Wed 03 Oct, 2018 8:11 am
momo&medo wrote:
jirskyr wrote:

My kids go to school in the region. Both are more interested in GWS due to players visiting their school. The oldest is in year 3 and has had half a dozen visits and Auskick seminars.

The tigers have been once and send McIllwrick and 2 under 20s players
Iwonder why anyone wouldnt be over the moon by that much attention,. What Ingrates :roll:

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Wed 03 Oct, 2018 11:43 am

Russell wrote:
Wed 03 Oct, 2018 7:55 am
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Wed 03 Oct, 2018 3:54 am
jirskyr wrote:
gallagher wrote:

Well the 18 who stayed may aspire to play at the top but didnt stay here because of that. They mostly stayed due to no other choice. You think someone like MCK would be here if the chooks came knocking?
Honestly now you are being silly. Yes sure, all of our Top 30 are here because they don't have a choice, and if Roosters came in the night for any of them, they'd be off faster than a bride's nightie.

In fact I can hear something right now, a dull murmuring... oh it's the collective prayers of the current Tigers roster, praying that Saint Uncle Nick visits them this Christmas and offers a blue, white and red jersey to put on.
At last we can agree on something, there’d be tyre marks all over the club parking area, from all the players on the way to Bondi.
Three players left here around that time , and one other most probably would have as well,Except no other club was chasing him.
It's been said many times - you must have been doing your Rip van Winkle impersonation.

He was chased by Melbourne but wanted to stay with us.
Your right, Ive never heard that one before.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Wed 03 Oct, 2018 11:49 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 5:28 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
jirskyr wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 12:44 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Mon 01 Oct, 2018 7:39 pm

And I do remember that Teddy was here and I remember the state this club was in at the time
I doubt that many other players that aspired to play at the top, would have stayed here either
What a silly indictment - that the current Tigers players don't aspire to play at the top, don't want to be the best? That is what you are saying.

Tigers brought Tedesco through, every single grade. Roosters contributed ZERO dollars to his development. Tigers developed Tedesco at the expense of other footballers. Think about guys like Papenhuyzen - bloke might not make it, but what if Papenhuyzen becomes a first-grade star? His development at Tigers was down-prioritised for Tedesco.

You talk about state of the club - well the year Tedesco debuted we had just come off two straight finals runs. He broke down and contributed nothing to the 2012 campaign; to cover for that we had to move Moltzen to FB and we were short a halfback all season. Not his fault but he contributed to a poor 2012 season.

Tigers never made the finals any year Tedesco played. Again not entirely his fault, but he was a contributor. And we paid him more than most other players, so we needed more from him.

Tedesco made rep sides whilst playing for Tigers - he didn't need to join a "successful" club to get rep honours.

So ultimately if you are making an argument that we should respect or support a guy who wants to be the best, play with the best, play at the top - I can understand it, but never support it. If all you want to do is play with the best players, then to hell with the salary cap. I won't cop an excuse that Tedesco had to leave to obtain the success he dreamed of - it's those types of comments that still rankle Cronulla fans when thinking about Blake Ferguson.

The true legends of the game are those that take ordinary teams to the finals, that sacrifice personal glory for the benefit of their teammates. Tedesco isn't one of those, sorry. Some people climb the mountain and some take a helicopter.

As for the fact that the Roosters didn’t pay for his development, did we pay for Mattersons development ?? We don’t mind getting him.
If you don’t like the way RL is run talk to the NRL about player development.

At the moment the rules are what they are, and if we thought that we could snaffle a top young player from the club that developed him , we’d be on to it like a rat up a rafter, and you’d be cheering as much as any one here,
I don’t remember seeing you spruiking that we were being unfair, when we were so wrapped in trying to snatchNathan away from the club that developed him,

A bit of selective indignation I think

I would bet that almost any young player that was off contract, and was offered to play with a genuine contender for a premiership and play among the best , and get top money, would do.same thing
So when you next get cheesed off about Teddy going, Just remember how most here ,were almost wetting themselves at the thought of poaching Nathan.
That is , untill we found out that he was re signing with the Panthers, then he lost all popularity with us and the critism of him started

But I haven’t heard of one singleposter, who was offended by the fact that he was supposed to be walking out on the club that had spent all that money on his developement
He had gone through the Penrith juniors @ Rep teamsand was looked at as being the face of the club
Not one poster saying “please Nathan stay with Penrith”.

I’m glad that he decided to stay with Penrith , because it stops all of us having to be aghast at what damage that we would have caused for Penrith if we Poached him
BUT...........that’s different.......Isn’t it
Can we assume Matterson no longer has aspirations of playing at the top now he’s with us?
If he does, I wonder how long he stays here

The reason that I heard was that he was let go to make room for Chrichton

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 03 Oct, 2018 12:11 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Wed 03 Oct, 2018 11:49 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 5:28 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
jirskyr wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 12:44 pm

What a silly indictment - that the current Tigers players don't aspire to play at the top, don't want to be the best? That is what you are saying.

Tigers brought Tedesco through, every single grade. Roosters contributed ZERO dollars to his development. Tigers developed Tedesco at the expense of other footballers. Think about guys like Papenhuyzen - bloke might not make it, but what if Papenhuyzen becomes a first-grade star? His development at Tigers was down-prioritised for Tedesco.

You talk about state of the club - well the year Tedesco debuted we had just come off two straight finals runs. He broke down and contributed nothing to the 2012 campaign; to cover for that we had to move Moltzen to FB and we were short a halfback all season. Not his fault but he contributed to a poor 2012 season.

Tigers never made the finals any year Tedesco played. Again not entirely his fault, but he was a contributor. And we paid him more than most other players, so we needed more from him.

Tedesco made rep sides whilst playing for Tigers - he didn't need to join a "successful" club to get rep honours.

So ultimately if you are making an argument that we should respect or support a guy who wants to be the best, play with the best, play at the top - I can understand it, but never support it. If all you want to do is play with the best players, then to hell with the salary cap. I won't cop an excuse that Tedesco had to leave to obtain the success he dreamed of - it's those types of comments that still rankle Cronulla fans when thinking about Blake Ferguson.

The true legends of the game are those that take ordinary teams to the finals, that sacrifice personal glory for the benefit of their teammates. Tedesco isn't one of those, sorry. Some people climb the mountain and some take a helicopter.

As for the fact that the Roosters didn’t pay for his development, did we pay for Mattersons development ?? We don’t mind getting him.
If you don’t like the way RL is run talk to the NRL about player development.

At the moment the rules are what they are, and if we thought that we could snaffle a top young player from the club that developed him , we’d be on to it like a rat up a rafter, and you’d be cheering as much as any one here,
I don’t remember seeing you spruiking that we were being unfair, when we were so wrapped in trying to snatchNathan away from the club that developed him,

A bit of selective indignation I think

I would bet that almost any young player that was off contract, and was offered to play with a genuine contender for a premiership and play among the best , and get top money, would do.same thing
So when you next get cheesed off about Teddy going, Just remember how most here ,were almost wetting themselves at the thought of poaching Nathan.
That is , untill we found out that he was re signing with the Panthers, then he lost all popularity with us and the critism of him started

But I haven’t heard of one singleposter, who was offended by the fact that he was supposed to be walking out on the club that had spent all that money on his developement
He had gone through the Penrith juniors @ Rep teamsand was looked at as being the face of the club
Not one poster saying “please Nathan stay with Penrith”.

I’m glad that he decided to stay with Penrith , because it stops all of us having to be aghast at what damage that we would have caused for Penrith if we Poached him
BUT...........that’s different.......Isn’t it
Can we assume Matterson no longer has aspirations of playing at the top now he’s with us?
If he does, I wonder how long he stays here

The reason that I heard was that he was let go to make room for Chrichton
Why is there a question in your mind? You've already been clear on what you think of the players who play here. He clearly has no aspirations having already signed.

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Wed 03 Oct, 2018 12:24 pm

If and when a couple of new players are signed by WT I am sure that most supporters will be much less frustrated and more happier than the current posts indicate. Do something please Ivan.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Wed 03 Oct, 2018 2:30 pm

what I was saying about them w
goldcoast tiger wrote:
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Mon 01 Oct, 2018 7:36 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Mon 01 Oct, 2018 11:37 am
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Mon 01 Oct, 2018 6:08 am
“Souless “players is a ridiculous way to refer to two players who want the best deal for their efforts, they are professional sportsmen, who want to be the best , and want to play with the best, at the highest level.p
Too bad that we don’t want have more of them.
For starters you seem to forget that we did have 1 of those 2 players.

And yes they are soulless to me. Personal branding, no charisma, weird unpassionate media statements. Maybe Nofo hasn't the same talent but at least I can respect his passion for his team and club before his personal glory.

Cronk and Tedesco are all about Team Cronk and Team Tedesco
Complete drivel, but your entitled to your opinion
And I do remember that Teddy was here and I remember the state this club was in at the time
I doubt that many other players that aspired to play at the top, would have stayed here either
I also said I that “they are professional sportsmen who want to play with the best at the highest level,
and I wish We had more like them”,
It wasn’t denigrating the players that were here, just pointing out that Teddy could do that . And the cold hard facts remain that most of the players that were here then didn’t have the option, because they were not asked too go.
I have no idea what drove Matterson to come here , I would think that money would’ve been a factor and being able to stay in First Grade would be another, as he would be competing with Chrichton and TauPau (if the stories are right)
And yes he probably does want to play with the best again,but it remains to be seen whether he can do that here or will he have to move again to get to do that,
It’s a legitimate Question, I hope he stays here for a long time and plays really well.
I would like to see him here permanently and he probably wants to play with the best againbutcertainly isn’t to be able to play with the

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Wed 03 Oct, 2018 2:43 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Wed 03 Oct, 2018 2:30 pm
what I was saying about them w
goldcoast tiger wrote:
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Mon 01 Oct, 2018 7:36 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Mon 01 Oct, 2018 11:37 am

For starters you seem to forget that we did have 1 of those 2 players.

And yes they are soulless to me. Personal branding, no charisma, weird unpassionate media statements. Maybe Nofo hasn't the same talent but at least I can respect his passion for his team and club before his personal glory.

Cronk and Tedesco are all about Team Cronk and Team Tedesco
Complete drivel, but your entitled to your opinion
I also said I that “they are professional sportsmen who want to play with the best at the highest level,
and I wish We had more like them”,
It wasn’t denigrating the players that were here, just pointing out that Teddy could do that . And the cold hard facts remain that most of the players that were here then didn’t have the option, because they were not asked too go.
I have no idea what drove Matterson to come here , I would think that money would’ve been a factor and being able to stay in First Grade would be another, as he would be competing with Chrichton and TauPau (if the stories are right)
And yes he probably does want to play with the best again,but it remains to be seen whether he can do that here or will he have to move again to get to do that,
It’s a legitimate Question, I hope he stays here for a long time and plays really well.
I would like to see him here permanently and he probably wants to play with the best, but it remains to be seen as to wether he can do that from here,

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Wed 03 Oct, 2018 5:03 pm

I couldn't follow this comvo even before the quoting was mucked up

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Wed 03 Oct, 2018 7:14 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Wed 03 Oct, 2018 5:03 pm
I couldn't follow this comvo even before the quoting was mucked up
Stop drinking then :lol:
Or drink more!>

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 14 Oct, 2018 11:00 am

The commentary on this GF was ruined by the incessant mentioning of Cooper Cronk playing whilst injured. I wished he had gotten off the field just to shut the commentators up. In no way did he work miracles due to his very poor stats (or was that the previous game). They matched Mitch Moses' when he played dead. At least the commentary shut up abou Mitch during his stint.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Sun 14 Oct, 2018 12:20 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Sun 14 Oct, 2018 11:00 am
The commentary on this GF was ruined by the incessant mentioning of Cooper Cronk playing whilst injured. I wished he had gotten off the field just to shut the commentators up. In no way did he work miracles due to his very poor stats (or was that the previous game). They matched Mitch Moses' when he played dead. At least the commentary shut up abou Mitch during his stint.
Cronk was playing hurt and injured directing traffic the only thing moses would have ever hurt was his mouth blaming team mates for him missing tackles.I dont like Cronk much but he had a dig in the gf

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 11:45 pm

I hope the Foxsports commentary was not contaminated so heavily.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 12:11 am

gallagher wrote:
jirskyr wrote:
gallagher wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 4:52 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 4:49 pm

Let's revisit

You are talking expressly of the exact moment when Tedesco left, not a day before, not after? So when he signed for Roosters May 2017, you "doubt that many others players who aspired to play at the top would have stayed either". Ergo, players who did stay, you doubt they aspire to play at the top?

18 of the 30 players who played with Tedesco in 2017 stayed at Tigers in 2018, i.e. are current players.
They all had offers from the chooks did they?
Roosters seem to steer clear of Plodderville

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 12:52 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Tue 16 Oct, 2018 12:11 am
gallagher wrote:
jirskyr wrote:
gallagher wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 4:52 pm

They all had offers from the chooks did they?
Roosters seem to steer clear of Plodderville
Roosters have a stacked side and can afford to have some mugs in their Top 30.

FPN barely got a run this year, nor did Eloni Vunakece. Napa is a plodder who tackles hard. I think the Roosters barely even had to call on their forwards backups in 2018 - did we spot Josh Curran, Rueben Porter, Faamausili, Tupouniua, Frank-Paul, Vunaceke, Brock Gray? Kurt Baptiste played, what, a handful of games? Butcher and Collins too.

I genuinely believe Roosters were a forwards injury or two away from losing their season, and many times during the season their forward pack was exposed and/or dominated. But they got the job done when it mattered, without too much lack of depth being exposed, and with basically the most representative-heavy backline in the comp.

Even Zane Tetevano, I honestly don't think he's a particularly good player, but he was Top 17 all year. Would he get a run at Tigers? Probably, but he wouldn't be a star here.