Re: 2018 Grand Final Melbourne v Roosters

Post by Furious1 » Mon 01 Oct, 2018 8:46 am

innsaneink wrote:
Mon 01 Oct, 2018 6:59 am
mightymagpie wrote:
Mon 01 Oct, 2018 12:50 am
jirskyr wrote:
Mon 01 Oct, 2018 12:23 am
I'm curious all the Melbourne haters in the thread, is it the players or what the club stands for? Because Melbourne might have previously been cheats, but no salary cap issues for a decade. Otherwise it's, what, the way they bend and test the rules?

Well I believe the Roosters bend and test the rules as well, just in a different facet. They are literally superior in every single position to Tigers 1-17 and ran out a team this evening just chock full of rep talent.

Roosters essentially flashed the chequebook last year and picked up two soulless $1M players. They cherry-picked two of arguably the top 5 or 6 players in the entire game to "complement" the team they already had, let go of a few nuffies, and didn't even have to wait more than 1 season to jag the premiership.

If that doesn't upset people as much as Melbourne have done, I don't get why not. I get some people can't choose between the teams, but to be celebratory about the Roosters... I cannot see any possibility how.

The only saving grace was watching Smith and Slater choke on their bitterness, and not to have to put up with a Slater arse-kissing in the post-match.
I totally agree. I dislike the Storm probably because I’m just jealous of their success over such an extended period of time. But the Roosters- I just can’t see how any non-Roosters fan can celebrate their victory knowing how they bought themselves a premiership.

To me this grand final has shown everything that’s wrong with the game. And the dramas at our club just makes me depressed to the point where I feel like giving up on the NRL altogether. Maybe the only thing that will give me something to smile about would be if the Roosters get done for cheating the cap. And we all know the likelihood of that.....
Talking to my bro in law after the game I felt similar, thinking about how we as a club fit into it all, how far away we are and just the unevenness of the comp as a whole.
I look at Cronks display and I see something thats been earnt very much, it will go down in history and the Roosters owe Cronk everything...but Cronks pain will subside and he will never have to want for anything ever again as hes earnt the right to be a Politis lackey for the rest of his days, much like Mini, Ricko etc
They as a club however earnt nothing, they bought it...
Unless theres some drastic change in the way the cap/TPAs are ...I cant see us challenging seriously any time soon really...another 05 is a lifetime away
Its a view held by quite a few. I know many people who feel disillusioned by the structure of the game. Unfortunately the NRL is won and lost on money. The "big" clubs are only interested in themselves and have no care for the future of the game. You can look at a coaching situation as proof. One club been on it's knees fighting it's way back only to have another come in and try and chop the legs from under them again. What does that have to do with money? Well the club on it's knees has had to fight tooth and nail to break even, while the other club has had a 9 million dollar loss in it's football department, is happy to pay out a coach they just renewed for 2 years and poach another coach on twice or 3 times the money he is on at his current club. Without that money behind them, i doubt the approach happens.

You only have to look at the business people involved with the Roosters to the financial clout available in 3rd party deals. Funnily enough, they always sign players on x amount of dollars, but when that player leaves they seem to free up a lot more funds than what they initially signed for. It's human nature to look after yourself, and thats what the clubs do, but they will eventually canaballise themselves. The NRL is where the leadership has to come from.

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Mon 01 Oct, 2018 9:01 am

Russell wrote:
Mon 01 Oct, 2018 8:44 am
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Mon 01 Oct, 2018 6:08 am
“Souless “players is a ridiculous way to refer to two players who want the best deal for their efforts, they are professional sportsmen, who want to be the best , and want to play with the best, at the highest level.p
Too bad that we don’t want have more like them
Instead of crying about the way that the Roosters are run we should be trying to be more like them

Nick Politis is a real supporter of the club and has been for decades , and is now setting up some property as an income for the Roosters future, for when he’s no longer here.

We have HT,
Who we only hear from when he needs us for a bit of publicity.

If , we have as many supporters as the club keeps telling us, surely there is some businessmen that our Silent Board members know of ,who could be Cajoled into getting behind our club
The Roosters expect to be successfull, And plan for it
We and a lot of clubs only Hope for it

If this Board can’t start to get other people to support this club then get rid of them and look for people who are used to success .
Running other clubs down who ARE successful ,doesn’t help at all.
Just because we can’t attract players like Cronk and Tedesco isn’t their fault, it’s our problem.
We have to think and learn from the better clubs if we want to be up
There with them on a regular basis.

But we probably won’t do anything different, we’ll just keep on criticising people who want to be the best, AND keep on losing them to the top clubs
Take exception to putting crap on Harry - he has put more money into Balmain and the Wests Tigers than anyone else in their history.

Why should he put more in????

Because he can.

Onthebus

Post by Onthebus » Mon 01 Oct, 2018 9:04 am

Harry is only worth 11 billion, the guy is doing it tough to pump more money in to the club

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Mon 01 Oct, 2018 9:18 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
“Souless “players is a ridiculous way to refer to two players who want the best deal for their efforts, they are professional sportsmen, who want to be the best , and want to play with the best, at the highest level.p
Instead of crying about the way that the Roosters are run we should be trying to be more like them

Nick Politis is a real supporter of the club and has been for decades , and is now setting up some property as an income for the Roosters future, for when he’s no longer here.

We have HT,

If , we have as many supporters as the club keeps telling us, surely there is some businessmen that our Silent Board members know of ,who could be Cajoled into getting behind our club

If this Board can’t start to get other people to support this club then get rid of them and look for people who are used to success .
Just because we can’t attract players like Cronk and Tedesco isn’t their fault, it’s our problem.

But we probably won’t do anything different, we’ll just keep on criticising people who want to be the best, AND keep on losing them to the top clubs
Very good post GCT. We are in the same market place as the roosters and have every opportunity as they do.

Onthebus

Post by Onthebus » Mon 01 Oct, 2018 9:22 am

We aren't in the same market place, hence why TPAs need to go

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Mon 01 Oct, 2018 9:24 am

Onthebus wrote:
Mon 01 Oct, 2018 9:22 am
Same sport, same city. It's exactly the same market place. They just do it better.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 01 Oct, 2018 9:29 am

gallagher wrote:
Mon 01 Oct, 2018 9:18 am
goldcoast tiger wrote:

We have HT,

Very good post GCT. We are in the same market place as the roosters and have every opportunity as they do.
I’ll have what he’s having

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Mon 01 Oct, 2018 9:40 am

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/rooste ... 5068k.html

Have a read what Politis is doing as chairman of the chooks. That's why they are successful.

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Mon 01 Oct, 2018 9:53 am

Russell wrote:
Mon 01 Oct, 2018 8:44 am
goldcoast tiger wrote:

We have HT,

Take exception to putting crap on Harry - he has put more money into Balmain and the Wests Tigers than anyone else in their history.

Why should he put more in????
Hasn't got us anywhere or bought us any marquee players on a regular basis, still have sub standard facilities also - I have to wonder what exactly they put Harry's money into?

kiwitiger

Post by kiwitiger » Mon 01 Oct, 2018 10:05 am

gallagher wrote:
Mon 01 Oct, 2018 9:40 am

Have a read what Politis is doing as chairman of the chooks. That's why they are successful.
Well that was a depressing read. There property portfolio is worth $120m and no debt and looks to earn them about $10m per year. Really they are in a different league. Clubs like the roosters must get annoyed with clubs like us holding them back.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Mon 01 Oct, 2018 10:22 am

kiwitiger wrote:
Mon 01 Oct, 2018 10:05 am
gallagher wrote:

Well that was a depressing read. There property portfolio is worth $120m and no debt and looks to earn them about $10m per year. Really they are in a different league. Clubs like the roosters must get annoyed with clubs like us holding them back.
And some think that their success is all down to one person's personal wealth.

tiger05premier

Post by tiger05premier » Mon 01 Oct, 2018 10:32 am

kiwitiger wrote:
Mon 01 Oct, 2018 10:05 am
gallagher wrote:

The NRL is stuck between a rock and a hard place

They want to expand but don't have the talent to do so without cutting club's or having club's merge

No club's want to merge so that leaves culling club's as the option

Problem is if they cut a club or try and force relocation they risk losing that club's supporters and juniors to rival codes

What will the roosters do than with one less team's junior base to raid?

They might than struggle to win 2 out of every 3 minor premierships

What a dilemma ftgat would be for the NRL and Politis

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Mon 01 Oct, 2018 11:03 am

Doc Tiger wrote:
Mon 01 Oct, 2018 8:27 am
The standout piece for me was when Smith Kicked the ball dead and it was almost a brilliant kick. For anyone else it would have been a bad mistake. But then again, we're talking about Cammy I suppose.
Too right. If it was anybody else kicking that ball dead they would have been crucified by the commentary team over it. An unforgiveable error.
Cammy having a poor game was outstanding to watch.
Just saw Bellamy on telly from this morning, that sad pathetic face was a great way to start the day :D

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Mon 01 Oct, 2018 11:26 am

jirskyr wrote:
Mon 01 Oct, 2018 12:23 am
I'm curious all the Melbourne haters in the thread, is it the players or what the club stands for? Because Melbourne might have previously been cheats, but no salary cap issues for a decade. Otherwise it's, what, the way they bend and test the rules?

Well I believe the Roosters bend and test the rules as well, just in a different facet. They are literally superior in every single position to Tigers 1-17 and ran out a team this evening just chock full of rep talent.

Roosters essentially flashed the chequebook last year and picked up two soulless $1M players. They cherry-picked two of arguably the top 5 or 6 players in the entire game to "complement" the team they already had, let go of a few nuffies, and didn't even have to wait more than 1 season to jag the premiership.

If that doesn't upset people as much as Melbourne have done, I don't get why not. I get some people can't choose between the teams, but to be celebratory about the Roosters... I cannot see any possibility how.

The only saving grace was watching Smith and Slater choke on their bitterness, and not to have to put up with a Slater arse-kissing in the post-match.
Agree 100%. Rorters are the club I despise the most for the reasons you stated. They give nothing to the game - just take. As I heard earlier in the week: “we make em, Easts take em”
If NRL think they have equity in the comp they are kidding. Under the current rules Roosters must be supplying 50% of player salaries through third party agreements that are not supposed to be club organised or affiliated. Funny thing is, Tedesco signs with rorters and within 2 weeks is on Nike ads. Go figure.
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

Onthebus

Post by Onthebus » Mon 01 Oct, 2018 11:30 am

gallagher wrote:
Mon 01 Oct, 2018 9:24 am
Onthebus wrote:
Same sport, same city. It's exactly the same market place. They just do it better.
They Rort the cap via shonky TPAs

Simple really

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 01 Oct, 2018 11:33 am

Let's see what happens for the Roosters when Politis does finish up and maybe some of those corporates become disinterested. It's not so long ago that Roosters were not a rich glamour club.

I am sure Tigers have done everything they can think of with Uncle Harry, but fact is the bloke isn't like Politis and doesn't get nearly as invested. He's more like a James or Kerry Packer who cant really decide which team they follow and always have their attention elsewhere.

I don't know if you can laud the Roosters for having a once-in-generation passionate powerbroker, nor can you simply aim to replicate it.

If Uncle Harry invested his time and knowledge into the club like Politis does, then we'd be on even footing.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 01 Oct, 2018 11:37 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
For starters you seem to forget that we did have 1 of those 2 players.

And yes they are soulless to me. Personal branding, no charisma, weird unpassionate media statements. Maybe Nofo hasn't the same talent but at least I can respect his passion for his team and club before his personal glory.

Cronk and Tedesco are all about Team Cronk and Team Tedesco

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Mon 01 Oct, 2018 1:03 pm

Onthebus wrote:
Mon 01 Oct, 2018 11:30 am
gallagher wrote:
Mon 01 Oct, 2018 9:24 am
Onthebus wrote:
They Rort the cap via shonky TPAs

Simple really
Why have they got TPAs and we don't?