Re: 2018 Grand Final Melbourne v Roosters

Post by gallagher » Tue 02 Oct, 2018 4:52 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 4:49 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 3:57 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 12:44 pm
What a silly indictment - that the current Tigers players don't aspire to play at the top, don't want to be the best? That is what you are saying.
You certainly like putting words in other people’s mouth
I don’t think I mentioned current players at all,
Let's revisit
goldcoast tiger wrote: I doubt that many other players that aspired to play at the top, would have stayed here either
You are talking expressly of the exact moment when Tedesco left, not a day before, not after? So when he signed for Roosters May 2017, you "doubt that many others players who aspired to play at the top would have stayed either". Ergo, players who did stay, you doubt they aspire to play at the top?

18 of the 30 players who played with Tedesco in 2017 stayed at Tigers in 2018, i.e. are current players.
They all had offers from the chooks did they?

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Tue 02 Oct, 2018 5:23 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
As for the fact that the Roosters didn’t pay for his development, did we pay for Mattersons development ?? We don’t mind getting him.
If you don’t like the way RL is run talk to the NRL about player development.

At the moment the rules are what they are, and if we thought that we could snaffle a top young player from the club that developed him , we’d be on to it like a rat up a rafter, and you’d be cheering as much as any one here,
I don’t remember seeing you spruiking that we were being unfair, when we were so wrapped in trying to snatchNathan away from the club that developed him,

A bit of selective indignation I think

I would bet that almost any young player that was off contract, and was offered to play with a genuine contender for a premiership and play among the best , and get top money, would do.same thing
So when you next get cheesed off about Teddy going, Just remember how most here ,were almost wetting themselves at the thought of poaching Nathan.
That is , untill we found out that he was re signing with the Panthers, then he lost all popularity with us and the critism of him started

But I haven’t heard of one singleposter, who was offended by the fact that he was supposed to be walking out on the club that had spent all that money on his developement
He had gone through the Penrith juniors @ Rep teamsand was looked at as being the face of the club
Not one poster saying “please Nathan stay with Penrith”.

I’m glad that he decided to stay with Penrith , because it stops all of us having to be aghast at what damage that we would have caused for Penrith if we Poached him
BUT...........that’s different.......Isn’t it
Aren't you the Lady Justice of player transfers - since when did fairness and equality come into the conversation? I am not the purveyor of NRL transfer impartiality, I am a mad Wests Tigers supporter.

Of course I usually don't bat an eyelid about other clubs trying to sign each other's players. I don't support other teams! But frankly, I do find it distasteful when "marquee" clubs are able to prise footballers away from struggling clubs. I respect players who stick it out at struggling clubs, to make them better, rather than joining the high-flyers.

That's one of the reasons I can never really hate Melbourne, because they don't rip off other people's rosters, they usually make astute recruitment decisions and develop their own. It's a reason I can identify with Souths, because they have been losing quality players to richer clubs for a long time, and the Roosters are their arch-nemesis for precisely this reason.

Roosters are the modern-day Manly, and the distaste for the Silvertail Sea Eagles still prevails even some 4 decades later. For Tedesco to leave Tigers for Roosters, of all clubs, is offensive to me. Glenn Morrison is still a marked man for old Balmain supporters and he basically acted the same way as Tedesco has.

So on that matter I actually do respect Nathan Cleary's decision to stay at Panthers. They are paying him a billion dollars for the privilege, but I can respect that he didn't want to leave his club and I'm both not fussed and not upset that he didn't come here.

The difference between Tedesco and Matterson, as you have raised, is that we comprehensively outbid Roosters for Matterson's signature (I assume) and he is not a marquee or pillar asset for Easts. Hard to get cranky at a bloke who leaves for a substantially stronger offer from another club - I wouldn't begrudge any player that opportunity.

And anyway, Matterson isn't even a Roosters junior, they signed him from Parramatta NYC.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Tue 02 Oct, 2018 5:24 pm

gallagher wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 4:52 pm
jirskyr wrote:
goldcoast tiger wrote:
jirskyr wrote:
What a silly indictment - that the current Tigers players don't aspire to play at the top, don't want to be the best? That is what you are saying.
Let's revisit
goldcoast tiger wrote: I doubt that many other players that aspired to play at the top, would have stayed here either
You are talking expressly of the exact moment when Tedesco left, not a day before, not after? So when he signed for Roosters May 2017, you "doubt that many others players who aspired to play at the top would have stayed either". Ergo, players who did stay, you doubt they aspire to play at the top?

18 of the 30 players who played with Tedesco in 2017 stayed at Tigers in 2018, i.e. are current players.
I fail to see the relevance.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 02 Oct, 2018 5:28 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
jirskyr wrote:
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Mon 01 Oct, 2018 7:39 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Mon 01 Oct, 2018 7:36 pm

Complete drivel, but your entitled to your opinion
And I do remember that Teddy was here and I remember the state this club was in at the time
I doubt that many other players that aspired to play at the top, would have stayed here either

Tigers brought Tedesco through, every single grade. Roosters contributed ZERO dollars to his development. Tigers developed Tedesco at the expense of other footballers. Think about guys like Papenhuyzen - bloke might not make it, but what if Papenhuyzen becomes a first-grade star? His development at Tigers was down-prioritised for Tedesco.

You talk about state of the club - well the year Tedesco debuted we had just come off two straight finals runs. He broke down and contributed nothing to the 2012 campaign; to cover for that we had to move Moltzen to FB and we were short a halfback all season. Not his fault but he contributed to a poor 2012 season.

Tigers never made the finals any year Tedesco played. Again not entirely his fault, but he was a contributor. And we paid him more than most other players, so we needed more from him.

Tedesco made rep sides whilst playing for Tigers - he didn't need to join a "successful" club to get rep honours.

So ultimately if you are making an argument that we should respect or support a guy who wants to be the best, play with the best, play at the top - I can understand it, but never support it. If all you want to do is play with the best players, then to hell with the salary cap. I won't cop an excuse that Tedesco had to leave to obtain the success he dreamed of - it's those types of comments that still rankle Cronulla fans when thinking about Blake Ferguson.

The true legends of the game are those that take ordinary teams to the finals, that sacrifice personal glory for the benefit of their teammates. Tedesco isn't one of those, sorry. Some people climb the mountain and some take a helicopter.

As for the fact that the Roosters didn’t pay for his development, did we pay for Mattersons development ?? We don’t mind getting him.

At the moment the rules are what they are, and if we thought that we could snaffle a top young player from the club that developed him , we’d be on to it like a rat up a rafter, and you’d be cheering as much as any one here,
I don’t remember seeing you spruiking that we were being unfair, when we were so wrapped in trying to snatchNathan away from the club that developed him,

I would bet that almost any young player that was off contract, and was offered to play with a genuine contender for a premiership and play among the best , and get top money, would do.same thing
So when you next get cheesed off about Teddy going, Just remember how most here ,were almost wetting themselves at the thought of poaching Nathan.
That is , untill we found out that he was re signing with the Panthers, then he lost all popularity with us and the critism of him started

But I haven’t heard of one singleposter, who was offended by the fact that he was supposed to be walking out on the club that had spent all that money on his developement
He had gone through the Penrith juniors @ Rep teamsand was looked at as being the face of the club

I’m glad that he decided to stay with Penrith , because it stops all of us having to be aghast at what damage that we would have caused for Penrith if we Poached him
Can we assume Matterson no longer has aspirations of playing at the top now he’s with us?

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Tue 02 Oct, 2018 5:47 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 5:24 pm
gallagher wrote:
jirskyr wrote:
goldcoast tiger wrote:

Let's revisit

Well the 18 who stayed may aspire to play at the top but didnt stay here because of that. They mostly stayed due to no other choice. You think someone like MCK would be here if the chooks came knocking?

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Tue 02 Oct, 2018 6:24 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 5:23 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:

I’m glad that he decided to stay with Penrith , because it stops all of us having to be aghast at what damage that we would have caused for Penrith if we Poached him :lol:
Aren't you the Lady Justice of player transfers - since when did fairness and equality come into the conversation? I am not the purveyor of NRL transfer impartiality, I am a mad Wests Tigers supporter.

Of course I usually don't bat an eyelid about other clubs trying to sign each other's players. I don't support other teams! But frankly, I do find it distasteful when "marquee" clubs are able to prise footballers away from struggling clubs. I respect players who stick it out at struggling clubs, to make them better, rather than joining the high-flyers.

1.......... Funny that you find some things distastful when a top team" prises" a player from a struggling club, even though I wasnt aware that The Roosters were prising anyone
So are you saying that its only wrong , when The Roosters buy a player who'se off contract and on the open market
But If it was us, itd be ok ...........If it was Souths doing it, Thats Ok............ Melbourne are ok to do it.... thats ok
Any more?
As I said before, Selective indignation

That's one of the reasons I can never really hate Melbourne, because they don't rip off other people's rosters, they usually make astute recruitment decisions and develop their own. It's a reason I can identify with Souths, because they have been losing quality players to richer clubs for a long time, and the Roosters are their arch-nemesis for precisely this reason.

Roosters are the modern-day Manly, and the distaste for the Silvertail Sea Eagles still prevails even some 4 decades later. For Tedesco to leave Tigers for Roosters, of all clubs, is offensive to me. Glenn Morrison is still a marked man for old Balmain supporters and he basically acted the same way as Tedesco has.

2...........So your now saying that if Tedesco Had gone to the dragons OR Newcastle for an example , you'd be fine with that.?

So on that matter I actually do respect Nathan Cleary's decision to stay at Panthers. They are paying him a billion dollars for the privilege, but I can respect that he didn't want to leave his club and I'm both not fussed and not upset that he didn't come here.

The difference between Tedesco and Matterson, as you have raised, is that we comprehensively outbid Roosters for Matterson's signature (I assume) and he is not a marquee or pillar asset for Easts. Hard to get cranky at a bloke who leaves for a substantially stronger offer from another club - I wouldn't begrudge any player that opportunity.

3...........One second you are saying that you assume that we comprehensively out bid the Roosters.
Then your saying, that he left the Roosters because of a substantially stronger offer.'
So, nothing like having a bet each way

Doesnt" I assume": mean that you really have no idea, not that it matters anyway
Anyway IM glad that you didnt care if Cleary came here or not, You'd be about the only one that didnt.
If...thats correct

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Tue 02 Oct, 2018 6:34 pm

jirskyr wrote:
goldcoast tiger wrote:
jirskyr wrote:
Let's revisit

Glad you can tell me what day im talkiing about,, do you have the time as well
I was talking about around that time, I should got you to write my post

I was referring to the fact that there werent many players that were at that level that would have stayed
and knocked back that offer
Can you tell me who else was offered the same contract

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Tue 02 Oct, 2018 8:23 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 6:34 pm
jirskyr wrote:
goldcoast tiger wrote:
jirskyr wrote:
Let's revisit

Glad you can tell me what day im talkiing about,, do you have the time as well
I was talking about around that time, I should got you to write my post

I was referring to the fact that there werent many players that were at that level that would have stayed
and knocked back that offer
Can you tell me who else was offered the same contract
Well now you are speculating on the content of Tedesco's offer and whether or not other similar players would have taken it. Pointless speculation in my opinion. The point is Tedesco left and you can't defend it by supposing what other players may or may not have done in his place.

I get that you feel he was justified to go to a "better" club, so that's fine and we've had a good discussion about it. I don't agree.

What's even worse is, beyond Tedesco the player, this season has simply validated the Roosters' approach to spend mega bucks on top-tier footballers. They signed 2 of the top 4 or 5 players in the entire game in 2017, added them to an already strong roster and walked away with the premiership. Happy days, what a positive outcome for the game. I can only hope they sign a few more awesome footballers like Munster and Taupau and really give the middle finger to everyone else.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Tue 02 Oct, 2018 8:39 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 6:24 pm
1.......... Funny that you find some things distastful when a top team" prises" a player from a struggling club, even though I wasnt aware that The Roosters were prising anyone
So are you saying that its only wrong , when The Roosters buy a player who'se off contract and on the open market
But If it was us, itd be ok ...........If it was Souths doing it, Thats Ok............ Melbourne are ok to do it.... thats ok
Any more?
As I said before, Selective indignation

2...........So your now saying that if Tedesco Had gone to the dragons OR Newcastle for an example , you'd be fine with that.?

3...........One second you are saying that you assume that we comprehensively out bid the Roosters.
Then your saying, that he left the Roosters because of a substantially stronger offer.'
So, nothing like having a bet each way

Doesnt" I assume": mean that you really have no idea, not that it matters anyway
Anyway IM glad that you didnt care if Cleary came here or not, You'd be about the only one that didnt.
If...thats correct
1) Well it's not exactly selective indignation. If Souths or Melbourne had a track record of pinching good players off other clubs, they'd come under fire too. Like I said, people didn't start to hate Manly for no reason, they did it because Manly started pinching good players off poorer clubs.

But regardless I'd challenge that every fan has some selective indignation in regards to NRL, just depends on your fancy. They don't call us one-eyed supporters for no reason.

2) If Tedesco had gone to Dragons or Knights... less unpalatable than Roosters, sure. It's like Ponga to Newcastle - they are a battling club and he is a tremendous young talent; a real shining light for their fans and their club. If Ponga had gone to Broncos or Roosters, I would have puked in my own mouth.

3) Ooh you got me there, good technicality. Yes technically I don't know exactly what brought Matterson to Tigers, I assume it must be the continued lack of success and desire to be a in a team of losers, to paraphrase GNR.

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Tue 02 Oct, 2018 8:42 pm

Snake wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 12:05 pm
We can moan and groan about the NRL all we like , the reality is OUR club has to decide what it wants for itself , supporters and stakeholders .
The club can not make a decision to play at one home ground as it will upset set a few .., who cares the shackles have to be broken, the other is the training facilities there is this pie in the sky plan for Concord ! When is this coming on line ?. Imo the club is spreading itself to thin , consolidating its area and home ground and putting all there resources into that decision is the only way the club will be a major force .
Agree with this .... the facts are very much that we live in the environment where it’s bleeding obvious that there are just too many inner city teams in Sydney and that must change. WT have a OUT and a advantage which is staring them in the face but they refuse to take. It’s because of our history and our generation of administrators and supporters which are very reluctant to accept ...... that permanent move to outer west is our future.
Until we focus on that move in all it’s entirety I’m afraid we will be stuck in our little time warp and success will be very hard to achieve.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Tue 02 Oct, 2018 8:42 pm

gallagher wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 5:47 pm
jirskyr wrote:
gallagher wrote:
jirskyr wrote:

Let's revisit

Well the 18 who stayed may aspire to play at the top but didnt stay here because of that. They mostly stayed due to no other choice. You think someone like MCK would be here if the chooks came knocking?
Honestly now you are being silly. Yes sure, all of our Top 30 are here because they don't have a choice, and if Roosters came in the night for any of them, they'd be off faster than a bride's nightie.

In fact I can hear something right now, a dull murmuring... oh it's the collective prayers of the current Tigers roster, praying that Saint Uncle Nick visits them this Christmas and offers a blue, white and red jersey to put on.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Tue 02 Oct, 2018 8:51 pm

momo&medo wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 8:42 pm
Snake wrote:
We can moan and groan about the NRL all we like , the reality is OUR club has to decide what it wants for itself , supporters and stakeholders .
The club can not make a decision to play at one home ground as it will upset set a few .., who cares the shackles have to be broken, the other is the training facilities there is this pie in the sky plan for Concord ! When is this coming on line ?. Imo the club is spreading itself to thin , consolidating its area and home ground and putting all there resources into that decision is the only way the club will be a major force .
Agree with this .... the facts are very much that we live in the environment where it’s bleeding obvious that there are just too many inner city teams in Sydney and that must change. WT have a OUT and a advantage which is staring them in the face but they refuse to take. It’s because of our history and our generation of administrators and supporters which are very reluctant to accept ...... that permanent move to outer west is our future.
Until we focus on that move in all it’s entirety I’m afraid we will be stuck in our little time warp and success will be very hard to achieve.
Are you guys talking about a permanent and complete move to Campbelltown? I personally think it is a risky decision on business grounds. Magpies made the move decades ago and it didn't make them a financial powerhouse.

A centralised single home base - I could live with that. I love Leichhardt, but they could go back once a year for a retro round and get 18K.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Tue 02 Oct, 2018 9:00 pm

jirskyr wrote:
gallagher wrote:
jirskyr wrote:
gallagher wrote:

Honestly now you are being silly. Yes sure, all of our Top 30 are here because they don't have a choice, and if Roosters came in the night for any of them, they'd be off faster than a bride's nightie.

In fact I can hear something right now, a dull murmuring... oh it's the collective prayers of the current Tigers roster, praying that Saint Uncle Nick visits them this Christmas and offers a blue, white and red jersey to put on.
If he does then off they'll go.

Russell

Post by Russell » Tue 02 Oct, 2018 9:08 pm

gallagher wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 9:00 pm
jirskyr wrote:
gallagher wrote:
jirskyr wrote:

I'll say goodbye no - just in case it happens tonight.

Good riddance to them.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Tue 02 Oct, 2018 9:10 pm

Russell wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 9:08 pm
gallagher wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 9:00 pm
jirskyr wrote:
gallagher wrote:

I'll say goodbye no - just in case it happens tonight.

Good riddance to them.
If only they bought crap....

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Tue 02 Oct, 2018 10:38 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 8:51 pm
momo&medo wrote:
Snake wrote:
Are you guys talking about a permanent and complete move to Campbelltown? I personally think it is a risky decision on business grounds. Magpies made the move decades ago and it didn't make them a financial powerhouse.

A centralised single home base - I could live with that. I love Leichhardt, but they could go back once a year for a retro round and get 18K.
We won’t survive stuck between the city and western powerhouses of NRL. Just my opinion of course.
I think Campbeltown people have not accepted us because they view West’s Tigers as fly by night team which has never fully embraced the area.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Wed 03 Oct, 2018 3:54 am

jirskyr wrote:
gallagher wrote:
jirskyr wrote:
gallagher wrote:

At last we can agree on something, there’d be tyre marks all over the club parking area, from all the players on the way to Bondi.
Three players left here around that time , and one other most probably would have as well,Except no other club was chasing him.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Wed 03 Oct, 2018 4:00 am

momo&medo wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 10:38 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Tue 02 Oct, 2018 8:51 pm
momo&medo wrote:
Snake wrote:

We won’t survive stuck between the city and western powerhouses of NRL. Just my opinion of course.
I think Campbeltown people have not accepted us because they view West’s Tigers as fly by night team which has never fully embraced the area.
They weren’t wrong! Why would they embrace a club that keeps on ranting about their so called “spiritual “home being LO