NRL unveil new competition branding

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
innsaneink

NRL unveil new competition branding

Post by innsaneink » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 11:48 am

The NRL is set to launch a bold new look for its Telstra Premiership.

The new look aims to modernise the Telstra Premiership brand as well as integrate it more seamlessly with the 16 clubs.

The new brand, highlighting the shield and the chevron - which have both been synonymous with Rugby League since the games inception - will be formally unveiled when the NRL Telstra Premiership 2019 schedule is announced later this month.

The shift follows an extensive research and consultation process which began in 2017, and included extensive focus groups with key stakeholders including fans, Clubs, partners and media.

The refreshed simple and modern design, developed in conjunction with brand and design agency WiteKite and research agency Futures Sport, will be far more adaptive to digital environments, and is designed to attract new audiences. The refreshed look will encompass a full design refresh that contemplates everything from ball to broadcast.

The Telstra Premiership logo will now be distinctly different to the NRL corporate logo - one of the key callouts from the research carried out across the process.

"The Telstra Premiership is competing with far more than just other sports," NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said.

"It competes in the world of entertainment, which is a highly competitive landscape. And whilst the Telstra Premiership competition is undoubtedly one of Australia's most exciting and entertaining experiences for fans, we need to ensure our brand evolves with this changing landscape."

NRL General Manager of Brand and Marketing Peter Jarmain said the NRL undertook extensive fan feedback when deciding on the new look.

"It was important that we keep the shield and the chevron, which have such historical significance for the code," Mr Jarmain said.

"But the aim was to modernise those very important symbols.

"The new design is more youthful and contemporary, to help the game connect to a younger fan base.

"But it also allows us to be integrated seamlessly with the 16 club brands, where the true point of connection lies for fans."

South Sydney Rabbitohs CEO Blake Solly said the Clubs supported the new brand, particularly the strong integration with the Club network.

"One of the key benefits of the refreshed design is the ability for the brand to be more closely integrated with the club brands." Mr Solly said. "This is a change in direction and a welcome one. We have 16 wonderful club brands; and this closer integration will help reinforce the connection between fan, club and competition.

"Ultimately, we want more people engaged with our great game. A more modern and progressive look, can only help that."

Melbourne Storm CEO Dave Donaghy said the game continues to grow with the changing sport and entertainment landscape.

"The new look is simple, modern and clean - something that aligns with the Storm's own recent new brand refresh," Mr Donaghy said.

"Importantly, it helps to position the game in the increasingly competitive market to retain and attract fans in the future."

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 12:03 pm

I’d love to know the marketing budget spent on this
Year of last finals appearance:
2018 - Roosters, Storm, Rabbitohs, Sharks, Panthers, Broncos, Dragons, Warriors
2017 - Eels, Sea Eagles, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 12:05 pm

More underwhelming waffle-fix the issues in the game that is surely far more important

AnnandaleTiger

Post by AnnandaleTiger » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 12:14 pm

Our logo needs some simplification, extra expect it to be coming this year or next.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 12:34 pm

Painting the outside of a house every couple of years, but doing nothing inside for decades...that’s the NRL

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 12:40 pm

supercoach wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 12:34 pm
Painting the outside of a house every couple of years, but doing nothing inside for decades...that’s the NRL
You got it SC

Termites have almost demolished this place ........ as long as the frame is still there though :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick:

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 3:25 pm

I don't mind them redesigning the logos, what I can't cop is the marketing BS that comes out at the same time.

I could do it for $50 - "hey we've got a new logo, now let's play some footy".

TheDaBoss

Post by TheDaBoss » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 7:43 pm

tiger air :roll
:sign: + :deadhorse: = Ivan in a nutshell

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 7:53 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 3:25 pm
I don't mind them redesigning the logos, what I can't cop is the marketing BS that comes out at the same time.

I could do it for $50 - "hey we've got a new logo, now let's play some footy".
Yep
The refreshed look will encompass a full design refresh that contemplates everything from ball to broadcast.
:deadhorse:

TheDaBoss

Post by TheDaBoss » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 7:56 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 12:40 pm
supercoach wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 12:34 pm
You got it SC

Termites have almost demolished this place ........ as long as the frame is still there though :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick:
the frame is quite brittle at the moment :deadhorse:
:sign: + :deadhorse: = Ivan in a nutshell

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 10:31 pm

With everything that is wrong in the game it is good to see that the NRL have got their priorities in order.

AnnandaleTiger

Post by AnnandaleTiger » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 11:14 pm

No doubt this has been going on for some time. Nrl as stakeholders wouldn’t have invested huge amounts of time here.

People carry on like this is a focus area for the nrl.

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Mon 22 Oct, 2018 2:34 am

Arrows pointing to the ground magnificently sum up the direction the game has headed since Greenburg took over.
Surprised the germ didn't have his shining melon incorporated into the design somewhere.
Never mind that the game is in a state of shambles, coz "hey......we've got a CHEVRON!"

Sabre

Post by Sabre » Mon 22 Oct, 2018 4:11 am

Looks like something a 7 year old made in Microsoft Paint. The lack of Rugby League relations in the logo also make it look like it's just an alternate Telstra logo.

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon 22 Oct, 2018 8:25 am

Yep NRL bleeding from the jugular and they (Toddy +) put a band aid on it's big toe.

Could not organise putting all the Lego blocks back in the box.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 22 Oct, 2018 10:55 am

I'm a bit curious, what is "everything that's wrong in the game" and "NRL bleeding from the jugular"?

As far as I am aware revenues are up, TV audience has overtaken AFL, memberships are up, they've done the RLPA deal, they introduced the new Tongan test and have a roadmap for future internationals, they've invested in the Hall of Fame and additional Immortals.

People are not crazy about the refs and the Grand Final ratings were down - for AFL too.

But I'm not really clear on this concept of the NRL dying.

Like AnnandaleTiger said, people are commenting as if a bit of logo updating stops other people from doing their regular job. They outsourced this to some firm, picked what they liked over a few meetings and are rolling it out - it doesn't stop the machine.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Mon 22 Oct, 2018 7:45 pm

Not sure what the fuss is...don't watch Rugby league for the logo...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am

OK I was wrong

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Mon 22 Oct, 2018 8:24 pm

steve-o wrote:
Sun 21 Oct, 2018 12:03 pm
I’d love to know the marketing budget spent on this
Most probably a tad under half a million, I guess.