‘I would like to see more teams’: Greenberg reveals expansion is a focus

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
TheDaBoss

‘I would like to see more teams’: Greenberg reveals expansion is a focus

Post by TheDaBoss » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 5:38 pm

Expansion may still be on the agenda but NRL CEO Todd Greenberg says there is no deadline, balking at adding a fourth
Queensland team at the expense of a Sydney club.
Greenberg championed Queensland’s passionate rugby league fans on Tuesday as he officially launched the NRL’s historic
2019 Magic Round in which Brisbane will play host to the entire ninth round in May.

But he could not give a definitive answer when asked if league’s popularity in Queensland warranted another NRL team.
“There has always been an appetite for us to continue to bring more content to Queensland, whether that translates into an
additional team is a question that is open for us,” Greenberg said.
“The Commission has asked me to consider what I think the long term future of the game looks like.
“Make no mistake that we want to bring additional content to Brisbane and to Queensland.
“It can’t be evidenced more by bringing all 16 clubs for one weekend. It has never been done before in history.”
There was renewed momentum for expansion this year after new chairman Peter Beattie claimed: “We have to grow. If we
stagnate, we die”.
And Queensland fans were hoping the Magic Round’s success would be a catalyst for a fourth team in the state.
L
Greenberg dismissed the notion of relocating Sydney teams in the future but said there was potential for adding clubs - he just
didn’t know when.
“I would like to see more teams across the competition. Our chairman Peter Beattie is on record saying you can’t sit still and you
should have aspirations to grow,” Greenberg said.
“But you have to do that methodically and professionally, not something you do quickly.”
It had been believed the NRL would consider expansion in 2022 after the expiry of the current broadcast deal.
“The real question is whether you want to expand the competition or relocate teams,” he continued.
“That is an open question for us at the moment. We haven’t answered it.
“If you are asking me whether I am looking to relocate teams from Sydney then the answer is no.
“Over the next five-year cycle our priority is making sure all 16 clubs are sustainable.”
Asked if there was an expansion deadline, Greenberg said: “It is really difficult putting a target on it.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 3e0015c54f
:sign: + :deadhorse: = Ivan in a nutshell

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 5:58 am

I would like to see Todd crawl up his own backside and disappear..
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 10:08 am

Sounds like nothing is happening... expansion articles are always good click bait though. Anyone see the article on how the Bears were going to return as part of a revamped promotion/relegation system? Pretty much no chance of ever happening
Year of last finals appearance:
2018 - Roosters, Storm, Rabbitohs, Sharks, Panthers, Broncos, Dragons, Warriors
2017 - Eels, Sea Eagles, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers

Glennb

Post by Glennb » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 11:04 am

You know when its a feel good story or a positive twist because Toddy starts with "I would".

Otherwise its "We will"

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 11:14 am

Geo. wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 5:58 am
I wonder if people don't like him personally or don't like the job he's doing.

Insofar as I can tell, financially and strategically the NRL are doing quite well. Not so good on overall fan satisfaction and refs performance, but I believe during Greenerg's tenure the overall crowds, TV figures, memberships, cash flow are pretty good.

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 11:34 am

jirskyr wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 11:14 am
Geo. wrote:

Insofar as I can tell, financially and strategically the NRL are doing quite well. Not so good on overall fan satisfaction and refs performance, but I believe during Greenerg's tenure the overall crowds, TV figures, memberships, cash flow are pretty good.

Is it me jirskyr,or I dont think GEO has a very good opinion of Greenberg...he must have his reasons and fair enough...
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 11:35 am

Geo. wrote:
And take Beattie with him
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 12:01 pm

Paging FTB to the thread, paging FTB...
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 12:46 pm

Can't see the comp expanding in the short term

Think the Brisbane Round weekend might have bigger implications than we might believe

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 1:59 pm

The game is being terribly run....with most franchises still losing money....,why would anyone want to join?

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 2:02 pm

We should get a heavy hitter or junior exec from the epl, nfl, mlb or something similar to run the fake. Desperately needs a new look and someone who the clubs are confident in handing over direction of the game to. Greenberg reached his level of competence with the dogs and is now overreaching.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 3:37 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 11:14 am
Geo. wrote:

I guess it's like Sheens(later years) and Taylor every year when Wests Tigers would win a game in spite of the Coach...the NRL is doing well in those areas because of the product it is,,,nothing that Todd actually does,,the question is how much better could it be if Todd was to disappear up his sphincter ,,,?
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

prattenparkchild

Post by prattenparkchild » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 3:54 pm

The way I see it is that rugby league does well despite its leadership or lack of it. There is enough residual interest in the game to get over leadership inadequacy. There are so many festering issues that no one seems to have the gumption to really address and until they're seriously looked at and things done it will remain as is.
* junior development
* sharing stadiums
* clubs rewarded for junior development then poached by others
* the overwhelming power of the big 4 clubs to the detriment of the competition
* Tpa's
* player managers
* expansion
* coach and player poaching
* refereeing
* what to do about stupid bunker decisions
* player trading between clubs
* salary cap transparency
* country league
* encroaching of AFL

A few things for Greenberg to get his teeth into.
Last edited by prattenparkchild on Wed 21 Nov, 2018 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silentio

Post by Silentio » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 3:54 pm

"Content".

What a tosser.

Edit - and 'evidenced'. Spare us the weird and uncommon verbs, mate.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 4:00 pm

prattenparkchild wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 3:54 pm
The way I see it is that rugby league does well despite its leadership or lack of it. There is enough residual interest in the game to get over leadership inadequacy. There are so many festering issues that no one seems to have the gumption to really address and until they're seriously looked at and things done it will remain as is.
* junior development
* sharing stadiums
* Tpa's
* player managers
* expansion
* refereeing
* country league
* encroaching of AFL

Great post. Add international calender for the roos, expansion and match scheduling.

He's doing nothing.

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 4:13 pm

Greenberg just pulls ideas out of his bum. There is no strategy, no vision, no planning, no leadership. If you heard Beattie on NRL 360 last year you’d know what I mean. When asked to articulate the future vision and priorities he blurted out something about touch footy.

Very scary and mostly sad.
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 4:47 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 12:01 pm
Paging FTB to the thread, paging FTB...
Sorry, couldnt hear the pager going off- was having a few coldies with Cam and Bellyache.

Greenberg the greasy, spineless little runt is an embarrassment to the game. The amount of dodginess that gets swept under the rug under this imbecile's reign is sickening. Give him another 10 years or even less and he will run our great game into the ground whilst happily dunking his snout in the trough slurping up all the riches that he possibly can.
It is quite clear that a majority of fans are very disillusioned with the game and have ever-diminishing interest in the NRL, we have Toddy to slap on the back for that.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 4:54 pm

gallagher wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 4:00 pm
prattenparkchild wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 3:54 pm
* junior development
* sharing stadiums
* Tpa's
* player managers
* expansion
* refereeing
* country league
* encroaching of AFL

Great post. Add international calender for the roos, expansion and match scheduling.

He's doing nothing.
I want to preface this - I'm no Greenberg fan, but aside from my general lack of feeling for or against Greenberg, I do feel that lots of these issues are being addressed in some way, and perhaps that is being overlooked?

E.g. sharing stadiums - NRL lobbied quite heavily, and ultimately successfully, for the rebuilding / refurbishment of the main Sydney stadiums, such that in 4-5 years we will have 3 world-class rectangular stadiums in the city - new WSS, new SFS, refurbished ANZ. You can't force teams to leave their old home grounds, but this stadium overhaul surely points towards consolidation of the NRL stadium experience for all Sydney clubs?

TPAs they addressed this year that registered TPAs aren't what many fans believe, without yet making them public, and the main issue on that is the RLPA and the sponsors themselves. Any moves to disclose payments publicly, including salaries, has to go through the RLPA before it gets approved - it's a long process. Also you assume private sponsors are ok to have their TPAs published, which isn't necessarily true.

Expansion - Greenberg actually addressed that today. ARL chair Beattie wants to further investigate expansion and NRL are considering it, but again they note it's not a quick fix and many pointers are towards the next expansion decision being in line with the next TV deal.

Player poaching has already been addressed by the November rules and the removal of the June deadline. Also the Top 30 registration timelines now looks to ensure clubs have their rosters sorted at the same time. Coach poaching wasn't really an issue until about 4 months ago, and NRL is considering whether the restrictions for players should also be applied to coaches, but it makes sense to take some time with that decision.

Refereeing and bunker - they have overhauled the ref management and brought in Graeme Annesley to oversee it. Can't really do much more than that at the moment - let Annesley have a year or two in charge. They aren't going to remove the bunker any time soon, they invested too much in it and appear to believe in the technology.

Player trading and salary cap transparency - well that's cheating, you've got 5 dot points for what is essentially player payments (TPAs, poaching, salary cap, transfer windows). Same stuff - it would take a long time to reach an agreement to publish player salaries; the salary cap itself is transparent, but to force clubs to publish how they spend their money is a hard sell.

Encroaching of AFL - they are at this all the time. Every move in the NRL is trying to sure up the game and block AFL. But it's a competitive market, it's like saying Panasonic should do more to slow sales of Sony televisions.

International calendar - didn't this just come up? I understand controversy that they didn't consult / match with the RLIF, but they did introduce a new schedule - you've just seen it start, with the Tonga test. The schoolboys are on tour in the UK right now.

Player managers - NRL are onto this one too. They are looking to introduce accreditation and take control of manager involvement. There is a manager union which is actively attempting to block this - also a delicate negotiation when some managers hold so many players in their numbers. They sanctioned some managers rather heavily for involvement in previous indiscretions, but the NRL aren't the police and it's not as if they can just wipe the managers all in one go.

So when I read that kind of list, it either seems to me that people don't read more widely about the NRL, or perhaps don't understand the politics at play and how long it takes to design and implement good organisation-wide changes. Think about how long it took rugby league to take matches to Victoria, or to open a team in NZ, and think then about how much has changed / been implemented in the last 20 years vs the previous 90 years.

Also in specific criticism of Greenberg or any NRL CEO, we need to take into account the overwhelmingly self-serving attitude of the clubs and players. Half of the stuff fans complain about isn't the NRL failing to take action, it's the NRL being stymied by club or player blocs when decisions are not in their best interests. For example TPA and salary cap public disclosure - no way do most clubs support this, esp the more "powerful" clubs. The NRL can't just do whatever they please and expect clubs to come to heel. Have we forgotten Super League so quickly?