‘I would like to see more teams’: Greenberg reveals expansion is a focus

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
gallagher

Re: ‘I would like to see more teams’: Greenberg reveals expansion is a focus

Post by gallagher » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 5:33 pm

Easily fooled, everything is being addressed. Nothing is changing but its being addressed.

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 9:20 pm

Fade To Black wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 4:47 pm
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 12:01 pm
Paging FTB to the thread, paging FTB...
Sorry, couldnt hear the pager going off- was having a few coldies with Cam and Bellyache.

Greenberg the greasy, spineless little runt is an embarrassment to the game. The amount of dodginess that gets swept under the rug under this imbecile's reign is sickening. Give him another 10 years or even less and he will run our great game into the ground whilst happily dunking his snout in the trough slurping up all the riches that he possibly can.
It is quite clear that a majority of fans are very disillusioned with the game and have ever-diminishing interest in the NRL, we have Toddy to slap on the back for that.
Mate, don’t sit on the fence!😀

Agree 100% by the way
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:34 am

prattenparkchild wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 3:54 pm
The way I see it is that rugby league does well despite its leadership or lack of it. There is enough residual interest in the game to get over leadership inadequacy. There are so many festering issues that no one seems to have the gumption to really address and until they're seriously looked at and things done it will remain as is.
* junior development
* sharing stadiums
* clubs rewarded for junior development then poached by others
* the overwhelming power of the big 4 clubs to the detriment of the competition
* Tpa's
* player managers
* expansion
* coach and player poaching
* refereeing
* what to do about stupid bunker decisions
* player trading between clubs
* salary cap transparency
* country league
* encroaching of AFL

A few things for Greenberg to get his teeth into.
Some really good points PPC

Throw in a transfer window and we need to watch the FFA , the new chairman has brought up focussing on junior numbers and trying to steal from the rugby codes

Russell

Post by Russell » Thu 22 Nov, 2018 8:20 am

Tiger Steve wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 9:20 pm
Fade To Black wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Sorry, couldnt hear the pager going off- was having a few coldies with Cam and Bellyache.

Greenberg the greasy, spineless little runt is an embarrassment to the game. The amount of dodginess that gets swept under the rug under this imbecile's reign is sickening. Give him another 10 years or even less and he will run our great game into the ground whilst happily dunking his snout in the trough slurping up all the riches that he possibly can.
It is quite clear that a majority of fans are very disillusioned with the game and have ever-diminishing interest in the NRL, we have Toddy to slap on the back for that.

Agree 100% by the way
I agree 100% as well.

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Thu 22 Nov, 2018 8:47 am

Russell wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 8:20 am
Tiger Steve wrote:
Fade To Black wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:

Agree 100% by the way
I agree 100% as well.
The disillusioned fan point is huge. I am astounded by how many of my friends no longer have the passion they once had. You could assume that regular posters on this forum are extremely passionate about the game. But on here I read countless posts about losing interest, sick of the garbage etc etc. if the game is losing its most loyal supporters there is something wrong. Greenberg needs to pull his head out of his butt, stop spinning the crap that the game has never been healthier, identify the major issues and start developing and enacting a strategic plan
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Thu 22 Nov, 2018 9:47 am

Tiger Steve wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 8:47 am
Russell wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 8:20 am
Tiger Steve wrote:
Fade To Black wrote:

Agree 100% by the way
I agree 100% as well.
The disillusioned fan point is huge. I am astounded by how many of my friends no longer have the passion they once had. You could assume that regular posters on this forum are extremely passionate about the game. But on here I read countless posts about losing interest, sick of the garbage etc etc. if the game is losing its most loyal supporters there is something wrong. Greenberg needs to pull his head out of his butt, stop spinning the crap that the game has never been healthier, identify the major issues and start developing and enacting a strategic plan
You are 100% right the game has never been in more incompetent hands than it is now.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 22 Nov, 2018 10:04 am

The bigger the salary cap gets , the bigger the gulf between the Top 8 and the bottom 8 gets

Look at this season , 9th finished 3 wins out of the 8 and 10th finished 2 wins behind 9th

Big issues NRL , big issues

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Thu 22 Nov, 2018 10:44 am

happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 10:04 am
The bigger the salary cap gets , the bigger the gulf between the Top 8 and the bottom 8 gets

Look at this season , 9th finished 3 wins out of the 8 and 10th finished 2 wins behind 9th

This has happened once in how many years? In the last ten years at a glance there has been 0, 1, 2 points separating 8th and 9th, with sometimes multiple sides finishing in equal ninth.

This year was an aberration, 2 points separated 1st and 8th. There are always seasons that are an aberration.

In 2007 for example, when the Schoolies were admitted, 24 points got you in the 8. 2 teams finished on 24 points (we were the second, and naturally missed out,) and one side finished with 23, and then another two teams finished with 22 points. So 12th spot was one win from the eight.

If it becomes a regular occurrence then questions can be raised.
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Fri 23 Nov, 2018 12:57 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 10:44 am
happy tiger wrote:

This has happened once in how many years? In the last ten years at a glance there has been 0, 1, 2 points separating 8th and 9th, with sometimes multiple sides finishing in equal ninth.

This year was an aberration, 2 points separated 1st and 8th. There are always seasons that are an aberration.

In 2007 for example, when the Schoolies were admitted, 24 points got you in the 8. 2 teams finished on 24 points (we were the second, and naturally missed out,) and one side finished with 23, and then another two teams finished with 22 points. So 12th spot was one win from the eight.

:? Which proves my point :?

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 23 Nov, 2018 8:19 am

happy tiger wrote:
Fri 23 Nov, 2018 12:57 am
Cultured Bogan wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

No it doesn't. So far it's a once off. If happens again next season and the season after that, then a pattern has formed to back your statement.

So far it is just an aberration.
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Fri 23 Nov, 2018 8:34 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Fri 23 Nov, 2018 8:19 am
happy tiger wrote:
Fri 23 Nov, 2018 12:57 am
Cultured Bogan wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

No it doesn't. So far it's a once off. If happens again next season and the season after that, then a pattern has formed to back your statement.

So far it is just an aberration.
We've had 2 salary cap increases since 2014

2018 1-10 gap 12 points 8-10 10 points
2017 1-10 gap 18 points 8-10 4 points
2016 1-10 gap 18 points 8-10 3 points
2015 1-10 gap 14 points 8-10 4 points

2014 1-10 gap 8 points 8-10 0 points
2013 1-10 gap 10 points 8-10 2 points

See the correlation now ??

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 23 Nov, 2018 8:45 am

It was the same in 2006 and 2008. 4 points separated 8th and 10th. The salary cap would have been what, half of what it is now?

Up until this year, the 8 more or less wasn't predetermined with 2 weeks to go. That is to say that 9th was in with a sniff.

Also, the 8 isn't the same 8 sides every year. We all thought the Cow and Eels would have been among it this year.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Fri 23 Nov, 2018 8:51 am

happy is on the juice..toad juice..
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Fri 23 Nov, 2018 9:05 am

My God I get sick of the whole expansion thing. Our frustration as fans is the fact that there just isn't enough good quality players yet we think expansion is viable? Well, I guess it is if you want to see the overall level of performance drop significantly. Greenberg does nothing for me. Just another collector of a generous salary with little to no real interest on the product he is supposedly in charge of.

tigerap

Post by tigerap » Fri 23 Nov, 2018 9:24 am

Geo. wrote:
Wed 21 Nov, 2018 5:58 am
I would like to see Todd crawl up his own backside and disappear..
How good would the NRL be had it had a competent CEO post the David Gallop era...Dave Smith and Greenberg have been useless and the game has regressed under their stewardship

Snake

Post by Snake » Fri 23 Nov, 2018 9:38 am

Expansion is certainly on the agenda .. as Sydney clubs find it difficult to find the funds to run there clubs to be competitive and the NRL making it clear there is no more bailouts. In the paper this morning Cronulla are in financial trouble .. so yes there are certainly plans to expand the game as Sydney clubs fall over !

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Fri 23 Nov, 2018 11:12 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Fri 23 Nov, 2018 8:45 am
It was the same in 2006 and 2008. 4 points separated 8th and 10th. The salary cap would have been what, half of what it is now?

Up until this year, the 8 more or less wasn't predetermined with 2 weeks to go. That is to say that 9th was in with a sniff.

Also, the 8 isn't the same 8 sides every year. We all thought the Cow and Eels would have been among it this year.
Eels got karma , Cowboys season was cruelled by injury

2006 I believe from memory was the season where more injuries of 6 weeks or more occurred in any other season in the modern era

2008 was the year following a salary cap increase

And you need to remember not to factor $$$$'s into the equation

You need to look at it as % increase before making a call either way

Despite what needleRichard Todd Greenberg tells us TPA's and the expanding salary cap is destroying the game

Yes we need to find better ways of competing with the bigger more financially backed cash cows clubs somehow (as I have said on many occasions ) the cap needs to be capped at CPI (like the rest of the work force ) and the rest put into grassroots and rural areas

The FFA as I mentioned in another thread are wanting to focus on rural rugby areas and all Toddles is worried about is the .1% of NRL players and their needs

Gone are the days in many rural clubs when a graded player got a win bonus (however small it may have been ) , most clubs can barely survive

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 23 Nov, 2018 11:30 am

Of course the NRL are going to focus on the elite players, they bring the money to the game.

Why aren't the state and country bodies talking to the RLPA about giving back to the game that made them?