Was the 2nd try a 'no try' with a forward pass?

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: Friday 7.30 PM
Venue: Central Coast Stadium
Telecast: Ch 9
Snake

Re: Was the 2nd try a 'no try' with a forward pass?

Post by Snake » Fri 29 Jul, 2011 10:42 pm

What forward pass !

tiger4ever

Post by tiger4ever » Fri 29 Jul, 2011 10:44 pm

Paris Cobbs wrote:The pass was OK.

Manly's second try should not have been awarded- Rose hit Woods in the face and he walked forward off the mark as he played the ball. This created the space for Ballin to run thru and score.
It was FORWARD but It doesn't matter.....As you say cobbs their 2nd try was worse then our try last year in the semis when Marshall and Pearce had a tiff.

Juro

Post by Juro » Sun 31 Jul, 2011 8:11 am

It was forward, but it isn't like it was the only call that was wrong. Manly had lots of calls go their way too...
I've been a member since 2012. We last played finals football in 2011. Just saying...

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 31 Jul, 2011 9:03 am

They happen every game

Roosters reckon they were unlucky last week, they got one go their way last nite.

Just hope we havent used our luck up.......it will go against us eventually, gotta cop the rough calls with equal grace as the good

underdog

Post by underdog » Sun 31 Jul, 2011 9:30 am

innsaneink wrote:They happen every game

Roosters reckon they were unlucky last week, they got one go their way last nite.

Just hope we havent used our luck up.......it will go against us eventually, gotta cop the rough calls with equal grace as the good
2006, 2007, 2008, all years we missed the final series due to rough calls against us in select games. Its only since the introduction of 2 refs that we seem to have gotten the gamebreaking calls out of our game - which only gives me reason to believe that our boys more often than not got penalised on suspicion over those years.

in 2009 we did enough to make the 8 (although left our run too late) and a couple of other results went against us which made 29 the cut off that year.

I think we are still due more luck after years of dodgy calls cost us on average 2 games in each of those seasons...

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 31 Jul, 2011 9:43 am

But youre only talking about the games we got robbed in.....Im sure there were probably lucky games like our last two in those years.

underdog

Post by underdog » Sun 31 Jul, 2011 9:50 am

innsaneink wrote:But youre only talking about the games we got robbed in.....Im sure there were probably lucky games like our last two in those years.
I think we had lucky games, sure, but I can't remember the last time we WON the game off a bad call, where I can think up several where we have lost.

There are games we lost ourselves, sure.

But there are a few crucial games where a wrong decision cost us the game.

Blake Ayshford debut game vs the Broncos where that clown ran onto the field to tackle Maxwell was one.

The last game of the season vs Newcastle in 2007 (I think?) was another, and they are both of the top of my head..

I understand the TEAM has to be accountable for wins/losses, however as proven by some teams out there when the 50/50 calls go your way 80% of the time you sometimes get a leg up the competition ladder.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 31 Jul, 2011 10:04 am

Losses like we're discussing are harder to cop than the same sort of win...theyre more easily remembered, the wins are like when you find $20....you just quietly slip it into your pocket and walk away whistling

I think you saying we missed the fianls 3 years running due to bad calls is stretching a long bow...2 of those seasons we missed by four comp points and a fair whack of f/a....did the teams that came 8th and 7th those season also not get any bad calls, or were all theirs good calls?
Same Q for the team that finished 9th when we were 10th?

There is waaaaay toooo much to factor in to make that call

sunshine coast tiger

Post by sunshine coast tiger » Sun 31 Jul, 2011 10:14 am

The ref and touch judge were in the best position, I will go with their call, the both said the pass was fine.

The tv never gets the angle right, personally i though his hands were going backwards and the pass was fine.

slacko

Post by slacko » Sun 31 Jul, 2011 10:49 am

it looked forward to me. but we have had plenty of calls go against us over the years, and i still think beau ryans try was at worst a line drop out. As mentioned previously, the push to the face of Woods could have been a penalty to us on any other night.

Im just happy we took the points rather than complaining the refs cost us the game.
eternal optimist.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 31 Jul, 2011 10:54 am

Have watched it many times now and the ball definitely travels forward but the hands are are travelling backwards so it is a try .
Another stupid rule .
The rule should be if the ball travels forwards no matter what the hands are doing .It is amazing the 90 odd years beforehand the players managed to throw thw ball backwards when moving at speed and what , they can't do it now ........... Dream on princess

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Sun 31 Jul, 2011 11:01 am

happy tiger wrote:Have watched it many times now and the ball definitely travels forward but the hands are are travelling backwards so it is a try .
Another stupid rule .
The rule should be if the ball travels forwards no matter what the hands are doing .It is amazing the 90 odd years beforehand the players managed to throw thw ball backwards when moving at speed and what , they can't do it now ........... Dream on princess
Agree Happy.

Why is it so hard to pass a ball backwards?
#penaltyTigers

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Gazman

Post by Gazman » Sun 31 Jul, 2011 11:04 am

At worst it was a fairly flat pass I thought and it did appear to float forward, but why are these more common now, are the players waiting too long to offload ? Even worse when they are straight from the play the ball, surely there is time to set the pass up? Agree also that their second try could have been pulled up had Woods retaliated, I remember the Benji / Pearce blow up last year when the try disallowed after the skirmish in the play the ball.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 31 Jul, 2011 2:54 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
happy tiger wrote:Have watched it many times now and the ball definitely travels forward but the hands are are travelling backwards so it is a try .
Another stupid rule .
Agree Happy.

Why is it so hard to pass a ball backwards?
Its not, theyre very rare in junior footy...you never see them.
NRL players practice recieving it as close to the ad line as possible...game of inches

cunno

Post by cunno » Sun 31 Jul, 2011 4:00 pm

It was one of the greatest passes I've seen this year, why, well I was surrounded by manly supporters and they were blowing up but I stuck to my view that it went back, kept signalling with my arm that it went back and the lady next to me (whom I didn't know but was the only WTs supporter in her family) agreed and we chucked a few high 5's just to 'p' the manly supporters off. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Yerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :sign:

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Sun 31 Jul, 2011 4:24 pm

it was forward for sure,
whether it floated or started off forward is for the touchie to decide,
as per Robbie's arm, it was facing the sideline at the max.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

Twodogs

Post by Twodogs » Sun 31 Jul, 2011 4:47 pm

I remember Wests beating Manly after the full time siren sounded while playing the ball. At the time i thought they owed us a dozen games, so by my reckoning, they still owe us. That Lyon wailed like a banshee was icing on the cake :D

Beau's try wasn't, because wo(Manly) knocked it dead, so it should have been a drop-out.

Lawrence knocked it back, and Rose should have been penalised for striking and/or stepping off the mark.

Finally, they created the stupid rule allowing forward passes, so fair try.

Manly suck (/gratuitous insult)

AndTheKungFoSing
Admin with a flute?
Admin with a flute?

Post by AndTheKungFoSing » Sun 31 Jul, 2011 7:30 pm

Definitely forward....

With that said... in those instances I really couldn't care. The pass being forward didn't put Ayshford through... I think 1 in 2 passes a center throws to their winger is forward now-a-days anyway... It's the forward passes out of dummy half which are the problem... they make a MASSIVE difference and give the attacker a huge advantage.
I hate South Sydney.... immensely