The negatives and the positives

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 7.35pm Friday 5 August
Venue: Sydney Football Stadium
Telecast: Ch9
Marshall_magic

Re: The negatives and the positives

Post by Marshall_magic » Sat 06 Aug, 2011 12:04 am

Neg: That very last scrum. We tried way to hard to give away a penalty there.

NJLM78

Post by NJLM78 » Sat 06 Aug, 2011 12:16 am

Marshall_magic wrote:Neg: That very last scrum. We tried way to hard to give away a penalty there.
Yeah. That last minute felt like it went on for five or six minutes. Like the way we batted the ball over the dead ball line to finish. Reminded me of the way the Saints ended the semi final last year.

AndTheKungFoSing
Admin with a flute?
Admin with a flute?

Post by AndTheKungFoSing » Sat 06 Aug, 2011 12:33 am

This threads a geeup yeah?

Saints were far from ordinary. If we had played any side below us on the ladder, we would have won by 50 tonight.

Moltzen is the only negative for mine after this win, he is a dog.
I hate South Sydney.... immensely

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sat 06 Aug, 2011 12:39 am

I think utais poor game is a positive. We all have the odd bad game. Tonights was his. He will be fine next week.

Posted using RoarFEED

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 06 Aug, 2011 1:06 am

Blew two first half chances and still won, gotta be turn a - into a +

turnstyle
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.

Post by turnstyle » Sat 06 Aug, 2011 2:39 am

pos:
you can only play against the team lining up against you and the tigers came through. for a while it looked like the boring saints game was going to succeed but the tigers once again fought to the death and came through.
i see it only as a positive.
heart and soul of the tigers. they won it in 05 with the same guts and fight with a far less talented (imo) team than this years.
lui much improved
great long kicking game put them on the back foot

tigers showed everyone they are for real.

negs:
lawrence. but given his recent recovery form he could be back by wednesday.
utai was on another planet tonight. shocker imo and i thought he was going to be penalised at the end. still love his hit ups though... just like ram man!
marshall at times seemed to just do anything and for no apparent reason. usually at least he seems to know what he is planning but at times tonight it looked like even he had no idea! but my criticisms of him in the past were for costing more points than he makes and i can't remember the last time i would say this of him.

The Shiraz Tiger

Post by The Shiraz Tiger » Sat 06 Aug, 2011 4:07 am

Great to see more of game plan I thought. Marshall appeared to be playing inside Lui for almost all the 1st half and then with about 25mins to go they switched around. I thought Lui and Farrah were outstanding. Their choosing when to run, dummy or pass long or short was very impressive. Also, I think Marshall is pacing himself beautifully. A lot of patience tonight. Great confidence building win.

tigertales

Post by tigertales » Sat 06 Aug, 2011 8:01 am

Not many negatives at all last night besides this hangover and how did I get home from the SFS. ON replay this morning we were very good. Sts were pumped, their D was great and yet we tore them a new one. If we finished off a few chances we had in the first half and Benji had his kicking boots on we win in a canter against a side that was desperate. Winning another close one was also a huge plus with semis coming up, its an art doing that and a few seasons back we were hopeless at it now it seems as if we stick in there we can get home.

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Sat 06 Aug, 2011 8:26 am

Positives

Our ruck defense has been outstanding over the past month. Can't remember a better 4-week period in defence.

Marshall taking the right options (he just keeps getting better at this)

Kick game was solid - it looks so much better when Robbie, Lui and Marshall share it. This could turn into a real strength if we utilise it properly in the run in.

Utai wasn't that bad....remember we were playing against the best team in the comp for the last 3 years and he is being targetted as a perceived weakness. Made some solid runs. He is our best option on the right wing at the moment.

Patience - in other years and in other games we would have pannicked not having scored so late in the game. However, we continued to grind and Saints finally made a mistake which we took advantage of. This is the sort of stuff that wins premierships. Haven't seen this too often from this team.

Lui & Ryan = confidence players, no coincidence tha they are starting to come good.

Negatives

Moltzen - taking the wrong options and making too many mistakes. Total passenger and could of cost us our last two wins except for some outstanding play by teammates.

Mackinnon not much better.

Fullback is our achillies heel.

Farah - still not setting the world on fire

Ellis - very quiet

prattenpark

Post by prattenpark » Sat 06 Aug, 2011 9:01 am

Positives
I thought Farah showed a few positive signs tonight - he actually ran a couple of times and made some metres.
Combinations starting to gel.
Lawrence, Gibbs, Beua
Defence. saints are known for the fast starts. we held them tryless in the first half
Great team effort
I didn't want to kill archer at the end of the game.

negatives
Beau turned just as I took my picture after his try, ruining what would have been a brilliant pic. ;)

slacko

Post by slacko » Sat 06 Aug, 2011 9:18 am

I didn't think Utai was that bad, he ran well atleast, some great runs.

Dragons has a good first half defensively, and they put try's on in the second half, got back to the lead, they played alright.

Kicking game was great.

Moltzen isn't playing well but he has the quality. He will become a good Nrl player, just never was going to happen this year. (1. Knee recon. 2. Playing in the centres)

Another positive is farahs running game really starting to click!

Posted using RoarFEED
eternal optimist.

alex

Post by alex » Sat 06 Aug, 2011 9:28 am

Negative:

Payten is getting on and running like he is stuck in cement.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sat 06 Aug, 2011 10:33 am

The big positive for me was the patient, structured football that seems to be our go to.

Farahs pick up in form also is great to see.

Utai made some bad decisions but how can you not like the start our sets get off to with him there

tigergirlz

Post by tigergirlz » Sat 06 Aug, 2011 10:45 am

I'm with you Smeghead. Robbie is playing a more mature captain's knock and I love seeing him at second receiver. PLUS...he also got a penalty running at out of position markers. YEAH! :righton:

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sat 06 Aug, 2011 10:50 am

Negative: Apparantly Sheens on Dead Set Legends radio this morning stated Utai broke his hand at the end.

Maybe Young kicking it?

macman

Post by macman » Sat 06 Aug, 2011 10:51 am

The pleasing thing is that in the last 2 weeks we have been under pressure in the last few minutes of the game and have held them out . I believe we were on the wrong end of the 50/50 calls in the last 2 weeks
There is still room for improvement within this side
I thought some of the 5th tackle options were poor at times
Fullback is a concern , Moltzen taking the ball back and backing up is poor , and Wade Mckinnon seems to be out of form .
I would give Mitch Brown a start at fullback -he was great in the big games at back end of last year
Payten is not making an impact

tigergirlz

Post by tigergirlz » Sat 06 Aug, 2011 10:54 am

Surely not Utai hands broken!!! :x

willow

Post by willow » Sat 06 Aug, 2011 11:31 am

Positives:

The Dragons turned up to play and the Tigers stuck it to them and had the firepower to get around them when it mattered;
The Tigers did not panic when down 8-0;
Overall gameplan worked well;
Kicking game was good;
Marshall/Lawrence/Ryan left edge combination was dangerous;
Defence around the ruck was excellent, only one Dragon forward made over 100 metres in attack;
8 Tigers players made over 100 metres in attack (5 backs, 3 forwards);
Farah's form has picked up and he is taking better options in attack;
Forwards overall are playing well as a unit and going forward; and
Marshall's running game is steadily improving and his ball playing is slowly gaining consistency.

Negatives:

Lawrence torn hamstring;
Utai broken hand;
Lui and Ellis missed 12 tackles between them;
Moltzen lacks support play which we will just have to deal with;
Payten looks way underdone and lacks any sort of impact at present; and
Tigers depth will again be tested over the next month.