Player and Team stats plus general wrap up

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 7.35 pm Friday 12 August
Venue: CUA Stadium, Penrith
Telecast: ch.9
willow

Player and Team stats plus general wrap up

Post by willow » Fri 12 Aug, 2011 9:50 pm

1. Moltzen - 109 metres in attack, 1 try, 2 line breaks, 2 tackle breaks, 3 tackles, 1 missed tackle.

The Good - Nice and involved early, took the line on and it paid dividends. Showed what he can do when he does support the play and get involved.

The Bad - Involvement dropped off during the match and I wish he had of kept up the support play which showed good early promise.

2. Ryan - 133 metres in attack, 1 try, 8 tackles, 1 error.

The Good - Scored an important intercept try when the Panthers were deep on the attack. Made good metres out of dummyhalf.

The Bad - Fumbled a grubber kick to gift the Panthers their first try and was sucked in off the wing (although Ayshford left him stranded) for the Panthers last try.

3. Ayshford - 109 metres in attack, 1 offload, 1 tackle break, 11 tackles, 3 missed tackles, 1 error.

The Good - Made decent metres although he was lucky to get away with the break he made in the second half.

The Bad - Occasionally got caught out rushing up and in with his defence.

4. Brown - 47 metres in attack, 1 tackle break, 15 tackles, 2 missed tackles.

The Good - Made ok metres out of dummyhalf. Proved safe all game.

The Bad - Benji did not use him in the same fashion in attack as Lawrence so Brown didn't really get a lot of opportunities in attack.

5. Utai - 111 metres in attack, 5 tackle breaks, 2 tackles, 4 errors.

The Good - Goes forward well and always a handful to tackle.

The Bad - Had a shocking game in terms of handling. Bombed an early try by dropping the ball over the line and things did not really improve from there as he dropped 3 straightforward passes. Outjumped for the Panthers second try.

6. Marshall - 60 metres in attack, 4 goals, 2 offloads, 3 tackle breaks, 5 tackles, 2 errors.

The Good - Looked threatening with the ball in hand. Kicking game was solid.

The Bad - Did not take the line on enough and without Lawrence the Tigers left edge looked a lot less threatening.

7. Lui - 47 metres in attack, 2 try assists, 1 line break assist, 1 tackle break, 14 tackles, 1 error.

The Good - Looked sharp with the ball in hand all night. Passing game and short kicking game were both good. Defence was improved tonight.

The Bad - Left the field with ice strapped to his bicep, hopefully it is nothing serious. While his defence was improved, it's still by no means great and he'll need to work hard, but tonight was a step in the right direction.

8. Gibbs - 88 metres in attack, 2 offloads, 15 tackles.

The Good - Good go forward once again, solid defence around the ruck. Did his job well.

The Bad - Nothing to report.

9. Farah - 32 metres in attack, 1 try, 2 try assists, 2 offloads, 2 tackle breaks, 31 tackles, 2 errors.

The Good - Looked very dangerous out of dummyhalf tonight. Creativity in attack was good, short kicking game was very good resulting in 2 tries. Defence was good.

The Bad - One fumble in the first half.

10. Galloway - 100 metres in attack, 2 tackle breaks, 23 tackles, 2 errors.

The Good - Made good ground up the middle and defended strongly.

The Bad - Two consecutive dropped balls in the second half were the only blight on an otherwise strong game.

11. Fulton - 156 metres in attack, 1 offload, 43 tackles, 2 missed tackles, 1 error.

The Good - Heavily involved all night, made very good metres in attack and defended well. Channel 9 MOM.

The Bad - Dropped the kickoff late in the game.

12. Ellis - 100 metres in attack, 2 tries, 1 line break, 4 tackle breaks, 36 tackles, 4 missed tackles.

The Good - Much more involved than last week, scored a couple of tries and his defence was improved.

The Bad - One high shot on Simmons in the second half, hopefully nothing comes of it.

13. Heighington - 123 metres in attack, 1 try, 4 offloads, 4 tackle breaks, 24 tackles, 2 missed tackles.

The Good - Made good metres and got through a lot of work. Starting to ball play a lot more and got away a game high 4 offloads, plus he scored a try.

The Bad - Nothing to really write home about here.

14. McKinnon - 27 metres in attack, 1 tackle break, 1 tackle.

The Good - Support play.

The Bad - Probably deserved more gametime given Utai kept dropping the ball all night.

15. Payten - 14 tackles.

The Good - Umm...

The Bad - Looks to be a total passenger out there and did not take one hit up tonight. His knees must sorely be shot, and for that I feel sorry for Todd, but if he's not running the ball then I fail to see why he should be there.

16. Groat - 42 metres in attack, 17 tackles, 1 missed tackle.

The Good - Continuing to adapt to the pace of the game and handled himself ok once again. Does quite well in the kick and chase.

The Bad - Nothing to really criticise him on tonight.

17. Woods - 65 metres in attack, 1 tackle break, 26 tackles, 1 missed tackle.

The Good - Again showed a high workrate, went forward with the ball and defended well.

The Bad - Gave away a cheap penalty, although it seemed a bit harsh at the time.

Try Assists - 5
Offloads - 12
Line breaks - 3
Line break assists - 2
Total tackles - 290
1 on 1 tackles - 12
Missed tackles - 17
Tackle breaks - 27
Total metres - 1349
Errors - 12
Penalties - 4
Possession - 48%
Completion rate - 31/42 = 74%

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Sat 13 Aug, 2011 6:03 am

Thanks Willow

It's a shame we didn't have Chris and Lote out there last night, I think we really would have put some points on. I don't know why Benji kept going to Utai though, would have thought after 2 drops balls he'd go the other direction to see how that would go, as you said, Utai should have been hooked earlier and have McKinnon come on.

And Todd, he must know he's just not up to it, surely? Sheens must know it too you'd think, wouldn't it be better off to blood one of the younger guys at the moment?

1/4 chicken,chips

Post by 1/4 chicken,chips » Sat 13 Aug, 2011 6:11 am

Thanks Willow,
I agree with Dave ,Utai should have been hooked.Utai bombed two tries with his poor hands.An interesting note was whislt CWH was off the field Penrith looked their strongest.Liam had a great game.
As for Todd i also agree with Daves opinion.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 13 Aug, 2011 6:18 am

Thanks Willow Second everyones elses comments Payten can't be taken into the semis in that form or lack of fitness can he ??

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Sat 13 Aug, 2011 6:21 am

Although, I did completely forget it was Todd's 150th, so maybe he won't be there next week? Might have been the reason that he played, hopefully anyway. Todd's been great for us, but the body is just not up to it anymore.

Paris Cobbs

Post by Paris Cobbs » Sat 13 Aug, 2011 6:23 am

Thanks Willow,

The shift from right wing to left may have thrown Utai off his game. It also signals, I assume, that Utai, not Beau, will go to the bench when Lote returns.

The numbers show that everyone played well and did their job. The only disappointment was that Penrith were able to score three tries, thus limiting the benefit to our for/against ratio. Come on Tigers, flog Parra next week!
Cheering for the mighty Wests Tigers, all the way from France.

westTAHger

Post by westTAHger » Sat 13 Aug, 2011 8:05 am

Thanks for the effort Willlow.
the team looked composed early on.
in second half, for a short period, made a few errors, but that was quickly overcome.
defence was good again.

the most important aspect of entire game, is that they won, beat a team lower on the ladder than them.
this in itself is a mental victory, as it will continue to be a factor in next three games.. .
Basil, our rescue dog, is wondering when wests tigers will win 25 - 18 :D

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Sat 13 Aug, 2011 8:24 am

Yep. Its time to go...... Todd Payten :(

Great Stats for Lui, Farah & Moltzen and while the boys couldve done more, its good to see we didnt rely on Benji to spark something.

Better Book Flights and Accomodation for the first weekend in October!!! :D
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

cunno

Post by cunno » Sat 13 Aug, 2011 8:32 am

Thanks for the summary Willow.
Thanks to the team for WINNING last night in a game that they could have taken lightly and history shows WTs can be vulnerable in so the fact they won is a great indicator of their form.
Stand outs for me were many but through in Farah, CWH, Gibbs (as per Willow's stats), Fults (a gem), Lui looked better, and Brown was solid. Well done to Benji and Todd in reaching personal milestones.I could keep going about the whole team so I'll stop as plenty has been said in the other posts in this thread. Just very glad about the win. Yes Penrith had a number of good players out but that could have also seen WTs drop intensity from the start but they remained positive- WELL DONE. Can they continue to build and SMASH parra I hope so!!

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Sat 13 Aug, 2011 8:35 am

As I said last week, Sheens is trying to give Todd every chance to be ready for the semi finals and give him a chance to go out with a bang. I just dont think his body can do it, its a fairy tale that should be ended sooner than latter. We should be using these three weeks to get a big young robust player up to speed. Okay Fifita has been terrible by all accounts, but get him on the bench and tell him we need two ten minute high energy bursts a game. Really has to offer more than poor old Toddy

willow

Post by willow » Sat 13 Aug, 2011 9:20 am

Stats have now been updated. 8 players to make 100 metres or more in attack which was pleasing, along with 0 missed tackles for Lui which is the first time i can remember.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Sat 13 Aug, 2011 10:08 am

Despite a cheap penalty, errors and 74% completion rate there was plenty of good to come out of this game. Lui's defense somewhat improved, looked great in attack, Farah is back to some of his best form, Benji didn't have to overplay his hand, Moltzen had a good night at the back an challenged bombs and took the ball back, and bar Payten, all our forwards got stuck in. Fulton was stellar again last night.

My 3,2,1:

3 - Fulton
2 - Ellis
1 - Farah

Posted using RoarFEED
#penaltyTigers

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

tigergirlz

Post by tigergirlz » Sat 13 Aug, 2011 11:23 am

Love reading these stats Willow, thanks :D
Think Lui's defense is improving because he has been given good support by players, and isn't being left in the lurch. Does Ellis defend beside him??
Groat and Woods dead certs to play out the season on the bench. Probs Brown will drop back as well when Lawrence comes back. That means there is no space for McKinnon (expecting Moltzen holds his spot) or Utai (when Lote comes back).
We do not need 2 backs on the bench...which makes Groat, Woods, Brown and.......? :?:

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sat 13 Aug, 2011 12:33 pm

After rewatching there are alot of benefits that came out of this game. Moltz and Beaus metre stats are inflated by long range trys but both played well.

Importantly Gibbs and Galloway really got good bench time tonight. They have been epic of late and just dialling it down this game will be benficial in the long run. It also allowed Woods and Groat to play solid minutes and work on their motor. It wouldn't suprise me to see Ellis or Fults get a break next week for the same reason.

Obviously the two points is a great thing but the way we did it will be good for us long term. If we had come out and stoved the panthers in the first half it had the ability to make us far too cocky. There is still alot to work on and the players all realise that which shows our attitude is getting to the right place.

Muffstar

Post by Muffstar » Sat 13 Aug, 2011 11:47 pm

Thanks Willow - I saw on the game that Payten came on but in all honesty I cannnot recall his name being mentioned at all.