ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 7.35 pm Friday 12 August
Venue: CUA Stadium, Penrith
Telecast: ch.9
willow

ONE LEG IN BUT PLENTY OF HARD WORK TO DO

Post by willow » Sat 13 Aug, 2011 9:05 am

By Wayne Cousins
Wests Tigers may have one leg in the Telstra Premiership finals series but Head Coach Tim Sheens says the players must continue to work hard to ensure a strong run in to the playoffs.
Although happy his side secured the two vital competition points in beating Penrith 32-18 at Centrebet Stadium, Sheens said his players ‘bumbled’ their way through the second half after getting off to a strong start to lead 16-0.
“We had a very good first 30 minutes and then we were up and down,’’ he said.
“An intercept from Beau (Ryan) put us clear and we were lucky to get that one. At the end of the day, we haven’t won up here in a while and I know they were down in numbers but you still have to beat the 17 guys there.
“I would have like to play closer to what we did in the first 30 minutes when we really played some good football.
“We defended when we had to although I was pretty disappointed with that last try because we set ourselves a goal of no more than 12 points which we’ve done the last couple of weeks.
“For and against is going to be important. Every 6 points is important.”
Sheens said the players now had their sights set on the finals series.
“We’ve got one leg in the semis now so I like to get both in well and truly and squeeze up the ladder a bit,’’ he said.
“We need to keep winning. We talk about winning each game and trying to improve ourselves as we go along.
“I know the focus now will be past these next 3 games and we have to get our heads down a bit. We want to go in with good form.”
Wests Tigers now play Parramatta Eels at the Sydney Football Stadium on Sunday, August 21, at 3pm.