Toddy Payten

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 3PM Sunday 21 August
Venue: Sydney Football Stadium
Telecast: Ch9 Delayed
rossop

Re: Toddy Payten

Post by rossop » Wed 17 Aug, 2011 7:44 am

He has had his injury problems and needs time to reach his best. Since he is retiring at the end of the season I'm sure he would want to give his best. I think he is an asset.

Duffy_P

Post by Duffy_P » Wed 17 Aug, 2011 8:55 am

hammertime wrote:For me, I don't care if he is playing busted. It's his final year and from what he has given the club, he deserves to be at least on the bench for the Finals. We can afford to carry him.

Toddy may be struggling, but he won't let us down.
Can't disagree with that.

shano

Post by shano » Wed 17 Aug, 2011 9:22 pm

Payten has been a great warrior for us, although his best years are definitely behind him. He can be a good back up for injured players and his experience is good for the youngsters, but to be honest if you watch him lately he is slow around the rucks (probably not 100% injury free or maybe it's his ageing body) so hope he doesn't leave any gaps up the middle for guys like Burt or Hayne to run through.

angry ant

Post by angry ant » Thu 18 Aug, 2011 12:35 pm

Duffy_P wrote:
hammertime wrote:For me, I don't care if he is playing busted. It's his final year and from what he has given the club, he deserves to be at least on the bench for the Finals. We can afford to carry him.

Sorry I can disagree. That is an absurd statement to make.

Yes he has given plenty to the club but you know what he is more then compensated for that, in fact its his job!!

I am not knocking Todd at all, just this ridiculous statement, we cannot afford to carry anyone if we are going to beat Melbourne, Brisbane etc.

If there are players putting in a bigger effort in the lower grades they should be rewarded over someone who is 'making up the numbers'. I want this team to win another premiership not come 3rd again. In any event if the Tigers win a premiership and he is not selected in the first grade team he still will receive the premiership ring (from memory they give out like 20-25 of the rings now).

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Thu 18 Aug, 2011 12:45 pm

Happy for him to get game time in these matches and assess where we are as a squad for Finals football.

Gives him a chance to build confidence and puts some metres into those joints

Duffy_P

Post by Duffy_P » Thu 18 Aug, 2011 2:03 pm

angry ant wrote:
Duffy_P wrote:

Yes he has given plenty to the club but you know what he is more then compensated for that, in fact its his job!!

I am not knocking Todd at all, just this ridiculous statement, we cannot afford to carry anyone if we are going to beat Melbourne, Brisbane etc.

If there are players putting in a bigger effort in the lower grades they should be rewarded over someone who is 'making up the numbers'. I want this team to win another premiership not come 3rd again. In any event if the Tigers win a premiership and he is not selected in the first grade team he still will receive the premiership ring (from memory they give out like 20-25 of the rings now).
Our defence was busted in the middle part of the year. Payten comes back and all of a sudden we are like Fort Knox up the guts. Is that just a massive coincidence?

So, he didn't touch the ball. Who cares? If he goes out there and shores us up and protects the middle third, his job is done.

I'd rather have a retiring Payten than a Fifita who looks like Bambi on Ice in defence.

Centaur

Post by Centaur » Thu 18 Aug, 2011 2:13 pm

Duffy_P wrote:
angry ant wrote:
Duffy_P wrote:

Our defence was busted in the middle part of the year. Payten comes back and all of a sudden we are like Fort Knox up the guts. Is that just a massive coincidence?

So, he didn't touch the ball. Who cares? If he goes out there and shores us up and protects the middle third, his job is done.

I'd rather have a retiring Payten than a Fifita who looks like Bambi on Ice in defence.
Look I don't want to tarnish Paytens defensive credentials too much, but the fact of the matter is he is only averaging 20-30 minutes a game and a dozen or so tackles. You can barely says he has been our defensive saviour the past month - I think a lot of our players deserve some credit for that.

Needless to say, Payten has forever been a defensive lynchpin, but I feel he has down his dash. His contribution to taking the ball up has been non-existent, which is a concern.

But you know at the end of the day, I am not going to cry fowl if he continues to be picked this year. I don't think he is costing us games, and there is no denying the influence he has on other players in the team by simply being there on game day.

Duffy_P

Post by Duffy_P » Thu 18 Aug, 2011 2:20 pm

Exactly. I think he is of great benefit to the side in knowing he is either inside or outside them in the defence line. Give him time to get match fitness right up to scratch and see where he is at. He is far from costing us games, if there is a weakness in our side it is our back three when Lote is out. Even Peter Tunks highlighted that on Talkin' Sport yesterday.

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Thu 18 Aug, 2011 2:37 pm

angry ant wrote:
Duffy_P wrote:

I think we are lucky that you are not a coach AA.

Players are not going to be motivated to win us a premiership if they are treated as just employees. These guys put their body on their line and to play at 110%, it requires heart and comradeship. Not cash. A good club man and good bloke dumped in his final year, leading towards a premiership, for a junior or state cup player, would be one of the most destabilizing acts that a coach would ever perform. Especially when Todd is still playing his heart out.

It's ridiculous that you would so easily dump him.

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Thu 18 Aug, 2011 5:28 pm

So what happens if one or even two of our forwards get injured during a finals match and Payten is forced to play more minutes?

I'm all for carrying him right now, but he HAS to improve in the next three weeks. You can't play finals football with someone in the side who does not touch the ball in attack.

Fingers crossed Payten improved his fitness over the next three weeks, he deserves to go out on a good note.

Posted using RoarFEED

Duffy_P

Post by Duffy_P » Thu 18 Aug, 2011 5:56 pm

hybrid_tiger wrote:So what happens if one or even two of our forwards get injured during a finals match and Payten is forced to play more minutes?

I'm all for carrying him right now, but he HAS to improve in the next three weeks. You can't play finals football with someone in the side who does not touch the ball in attack.

Fingers crossed Payten improved his fitness over the next three weeks, he deserves to go out on a good note.

Posted using RoarFEED
100% agree.

If Sheens can manage to win with MacKinnon on the bench and Moltzen at fullback I am all for keeping Payten in the team to improve his fitness.

senexx

Post by senexx » Sat 20 Aug, 2011 8:57 pm

The first two pages of this thread was about attack, about two or three posts on this last page were about defence. That is where Todd Payten is most valuable, in defence.
Courage in my Blood
And Stripes across My Heart
- senex tigris

willow

Post by willow » Sat 20 Aug, 2011 11:12 pm

senexx wrote:The first two pages of this thread was about attack, about two or three posts on this last page were about defence. That is where Todd Payten is most valuable, in defence.
Provided he plays of course. :pray:

TigerDave81

Post by TigerDave81 » Sun 21 Aug, 2011 9:22 am

As someone else said theirs 2 sides to a game, offense and defense!!! He would be good if it was the NFL but it ain't. The bench is for impact, and at the moment Todd isn't offering it unfortunately. Come finals you need a squad of 17 who can all turn a game around at any moment. A strong legs tackle won't do that unfortunately.

He can use his experience without being in the team. Skando running water seems to be having more of an
impact ATM.

Posted using RoarFEED

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Sun 21 Aug, 2011 9:38 am

Sheens has always picked a 79minute plank warmer, so having Payten their and only playing him for a few minutes really is not a problem but I fail to see the point. I know Sheens is trying to get him up to speed and give him a chance to go out on a high note but his body is busted and his great football brain has slowed a fraction of a second. Anyway the situation will not change so really pointless going on about it

badger

Post by badger » Sun 21 Aug, 2011 9:48 am

How many props take kick offs and run straight into the defence? Which makes valuable meters where it counts. There is so much more to Todds game than just running the ball up and defending. We have more options with Tod on the field just his decoy running is creating space as he will always drag defenders because he is acceptionally skilled at offloading the ball. He also knows when to take a tackle and settle a play down. We are definately more potent weth Todd on the paddock even in current form.

senexx

Post by senexx » Sun 21 Aug, 2011 7:37 pm

What I saw of him today, he played well
Courage in my Blood
And Stripes across My Heart
- senex tigris

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Sun 21 Aug, 2011 7:45 pm

senexx wrote:What I saw of him today, he played well

Played more minutes, but still looked way off the pace, but he is getting better and Sheens needs to give him plenty of game time over the next two weeks