Venue: Sydney Football Stadium
Telecast: Ch9 Delayed
willow

BENJI BREAKS POINTS RECORD AGAINST EELS

Post by willow » Sun 21 Aug, 2011 6:44 pm

BENJI BREAKS POINTS RECORD AGAINST EELS
By Wayne Cousins
21/08/2011 3:49:52 PM

Wests Tigers five-eighth Benji Marshall has today broken the Club's points scoring record.

Marshall needed 4 points against Parramatta Eels at the Sydney Football Stadium to break the record held by 2005 premiership wining team-mate Brett Hodgson of 786 points.

Hodgson set the record in 102 games through 38 tries and 317 goals.

Marshall broke the record when he received a 'tunnel ball pass' from winger Matt Utai before stepping and weaving his waypast the defence in a 40 metre run to score. He converted his own try.

Congratulations Benji

FOOTNOTE: Benji's points tally will be updated after full-time.

Marshall sits on 783 points through 62 tries, 265 goals and 5 field goals in 150 games. He already holds the club record for most tries.

NJLM78
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by NJLM78 » Sun 21 Aug, 2011 7:10 pm

Congratulations Benji. An outstanding achievement. The record of one Tigers legend falls to another. :master:

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sun 21 Aug, 2011 7:18 pm

By the end of his career Benji will have set a record that will likely stand for a very, very long time.

tigernik

Post by tigernik » Sun 21 Aug, 2011 7:27 pm

Go benji!!! Great effort.....

Ps This is hopefully my first post of many!!

Posted using RoarFEED

Flippedy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Flippedy » Sun 21 Aug, 2011 7:33 pm

Congrats Benji! You're a champ :D

And welcome to the best RL forum in the world, Tigernik! Hope to hear more from you.
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

1/4 chicken,chips

Post by 1/4 chicken,chips » Sun 21 Aug, 2011 7:34 pm

WTG Benji you champion

Tigerstan

Post by Tigerstan » Sun 21 Aug, 2011 7:36 pm

Well done Benji, excellent effort. What a try as well.

willow

Post by willow » Sun 21 Aug, 2011 8:10 pm

Tigers beat Eels, Benji eyes points record

By David Beniuk AAP Sun, Aug 21, 2011 - 7:22 PM

West Tigers superstar Benji Marshall remained too focused on the big prize to be distracted by becoming the NRL club's greatest pointscorer in Sunday's impressive 31-12 victory over Parramatta.

Marshall overhauled former captain Brett Hodgson's total of 786 points with a trademark 27th minute try, notching a personal tally of 14 points at the Sydney Football Stadium for a new total of 797.

But he let the record speak for itself, while coach Tim Sheens explained it would mean little to the Golden Boot winner if the sixth-placed Tigers' season didn't kick on after the five tries to two effort over their bogey side Parramatta.

"He doesn't want to make a big deal of it," Sheens said.

"It's like Darren Lockyer (who broke the all-time record for first grade appearances), you hear Darren, it's just about something to reflect on at the end of the season rather than right now and he doesn't want to be distracted by anything.

"They honoured him today but the idea is it's all for nothing if we don't make something of the season now.

"His big focus is just making sure that by the end of the season it's something to remember because it got us to where we wanted to go and the chance to win a grand final, that's what we're aiming at."

Marshall's teammate - and flatmate - Tim Moltzen said the milestone would be the furthest thing from the five-eighth's mind.

"I live with him so I know off the field what sort of guy he is, he's very humble and it doesn't go to his head and he works very hard with what he does," the St George Illawarra-bound utility said.

Marshall has overcome some major injury setbacks, including shoulder reconstructions, and his goalkicking has at times threatened his ability to break records.

He kicked five from six on Sunday and Sheens said he was relishing that responsibility.

"He volunteered, I didn't ask him to," Sheens said. "We were looking for a kicker after Brett (Hodgson) and he wanted it.

"That's what he likes, he likes to challenge himself.

"He's worked hard on his goalkicking and I'm pretty happy with him taking the vital shots."

The Tigers, who notched a sixth straight win, can at least start aiming for the top four after joining the fourth-placed Warriors and fifth-placed North Queensland on 30 points and with games against cellar dwellers Gold Coast and Cronulla to come.

In-form centre Blake Ayshford bagged a double, the second embarrassing star Eels five-eighth Jarryd Hayne, who was shrugged off with ease as the match slipped away from Parramatta.

After leading 16-0 at the break, the Tigers withstood an early second half comeback from the Eels to seal the win in front of 18,626 fans.

Parramatta are dead last after Gold Coast beat Canberra on Saturday night and their round 26 clash with the Titans, who are one point ahead, shapes as a wooden spoon "grand final".

"It was just pretty much simple one-on-one missed tackles, commitment to the tackle," Eels captain Nathan Hindmarsh said.

"They're dangerous if you let them be dangerous and that's what we did."

cunno

Post by cunno » Sun 21 Aug, 2011 8:23 pm

Benji goes from strength to strength, congratulations to him on his fine efforts both on and off the field for the club.

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by innsaneink » Sun 21 Aug, 2011 9:18 pm

Well done benji.

LOL....I thought the ground announcer had gone off half cocked, started screaming about this before they'd awarded the try, it went upstairs to the video ref....woulda been embarrasing had it come back a red light

Leroy The Tigers Fan

Post by Leroy The Tigers Fan » Sun 21 Aug, 2011 9:32 pm

And to think what Hodgo's record would have been if they took into account his time at the Magpies.
Both players should have more points on their record when you consider how the Tiges have massacred their chances of being regular semi finalists until now.
I recall a game against the Warriors at Leichhardt where Bret sprayed them in kickable positions close to the posts in 2008 yet landed them from the sideline while I still consider 2009 as the season that should have seen the Tiges entrenched in the Top 8 but for that game against Souths at the SCG!.

Juro

Post by Juro » Mon 22 Aug, 2011 6:15 am

Congrats Benji. Now lets see you push on towards 1000!
I've been a member since 2012. We last played finals football in 2011. Just saying...

MightyMaggy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by MightyMaggy » Mon 22 Aug, 2011 7:18 am

Well Done, Benji! After more of your magic yesterday, I do not think I have seen a better player in more than sixty years watching the game. You are a credit to your family, your club and the rugby league game.

Blackpearl

Post by Blackpearl » Mon 22 Aug, 2011 9:41 am

benji and hodgo ... two out and out champions and legends of the weststigers.

they said hodgo was too small and benji was over-rated. where are the benji bashers now ?

would not swap benji for ANY other player in rugby league !!
I dislike sowfs immensely

Sataris

Post by Sataris » Mon 22 Aug, 2011 11:55 pm

I wonder if Benji will hit 1500 by the time he retires...

Could be an interesting betting line... lol
cunno wrote:Ennis is the koala of the NRL.
Home of the Sataris

mike
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by mike » Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:34 pm

Isn't it great to be a West Tigers supporter. Just love the publicity Benji is getting. Certainly makes you want to go to the footy.

Posted using RoarFEED
Western Suburbs supporter since 1960 | Balmain junior since 1967 | Wests Tigers supporter since 1999

joe's magpies

Post by joe's magpies » Tue 23 Aug, 2011 1:08 pm

Great Achievement Benji. A True Superstar and Role Model for the Wests Tigers.