Telecast: FOX Sports 2
willow

Sheens focused on top-four NRL finish

Post by willow » Wed 31 Aug, 2011 5:05 pm

Sheens focused on top-four NRL finish
Ian McCullough
August 31, 2011 - 4:54PM

AAP

Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens is banking on his players using the experiences of last season to lock up a top-four NRL finals spot.

The Tigers moved up to fourth spot on the ladder following their seventh successive win, a 39-10 victory over the Gold Coast on Monday, and St George Illawarra's defeat of the Warriors on Sunday.

The 2005 premiers will almost certainly secure a home final with victory over Cronulla at Toyota Stadium on Saturday.

However, defeat could potentially see the joint-venture slip to seventh spot and Sheens said his players are fully aware of the importance of controlling their own destiny.

Sheens' side finished third last year, but lost their opening game of the finals to the Sydney Roosters in an epic clash at the Sydney Football Stadium, only to bounce back and beat Canberra before losing to St George Illawarra in the preliminary final.

"Cronulla is a game we can't afford to slip up on and count it already as a win," Sheens said.

"Although we have won our last few games, we have been up and down and need to be a lot stronger this week.

"It is not so much the home game, it is the option of a second chance. I've reminded everyone about the Roosters game last season ... it is very important to get that second opportunity as we did last year at Canberra and found ourselves in a grand final qualifier."

The Tigers have been the form team in the NRL for the past two months, seeing off the Dragons and Manly in their blistering recent run, and the four-time premiership-winning coach insists they must maintain their ruthless streak.

"A month ago, we were tipped not to win any games and we did. Now we are tipped to win and everyone is waiting for us to slip up," he said.

"Wests Tigers' sides of old have slipped up. We haven't so far, so this game becomes crucial now.

"We have sneaked into the four so we want to maintain it and not just finish in the eight.

"We have a window, with St George beating the Warriors, it gave us a great opportunity to get a top-four spot.

"But that increases the pressure against what will be a near full-strength Cronulla side."

Sheens conceded he was concerned about his side's relatively easy run towards the finals, in which they overcame Penrith, Parramatta and the Titans in the past three weeks, but said he'd been hammering the message to his players about the importance of a strong finish to the season.

"I spoke to them in camp a few weeks ago ahead of the last four games about how important it was to win games and strive for top-four even though it was something many thought we couldn't achieve," Sheens said.

"Experiences are everything in every form of life but human nature means sometimes we don't learn from them.

"I've reminded them enough but, in this business, opportunities don't present themselves too much.

"If you're presented with it and blow it because you haven't prepared, then you have yourself to blame."

adamtiger

Post by adamtiger » Wed 31 Aug, 2011 6:23 pm

sheens should play the riddler in the next batman movie... hes awsome though best coach

Poppa

Post by Poppa » Thu 01 Sep, 2011 6:24 am

As long as we don't take this as a push over.Go out and win big.Can't wait for the finals,WT are the big improver and have come good at the right time of the season......Go WT

:sign: :roll
Cheers Poppa

cunno

Post by cunno » Thu 01 Sep, 2011 6:37 am

"Wests Tigers' sides of old have slipped up. We haven't so far, so this game becomes crucial now." This sentence just about sums up the importance of the cronulla game IMO. I am confident that the teams current frame of mind will see them win and that is how they are now different to the 'Wests Tigers of old' but nevertheless, cronulla will want to give Gallen a win for his 200th so WTs need to focus, focus and more focus, forget all the hype and mumbo jumbo and get on with it as they have been lately.

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Thu 01 Sep, 2011 6:52 am

"However, defeat could potentially see the joint-venture slip to seventh spot..."

I don't know how we can slip to 7th, I think 6th spot is as low as we can go if we lose.

As long as we don't take this game lightly, we should be fine.

cunno

Post by cunno » Thu 01 Sep, 2011 6:56 am

Tigerdave wrote:"However, defeat could potentially see the joint-venture slip to seventh spot..."

I don't know how we can slip to 7th, I think 6th spot is as low as we can go if we lose.

Yes, they must take a clinical approach and remain focused and they will get the job done. The if they have the game in the bag late in second half, let rip and scatter the ten pins!!

coolcat

Post by coolcat » Thu 01 Sep, 2011 8:58 am

We get seventh if...
Dragons win
Worriers win by 2
and we lose to the sharks by 20.

But If we win
Cowboys need to win by 18 more points the we beat the sharks by to take forth off us.

All we need to do is win and by staying focus for 80 mins

Posted using RoarFEED

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 01 Sep, 2011 9:03 am

I think the fact that Cronulla almost beat us at home last year will help have the guys switched on
If we can hold firm in the forward battle we should win

Goose

Post by Goose » Thu 01 Sep, 2011 9:39 am

Tigerdave wrote:"However, defeat could potentially see the joint-venture slip to seventh spot..."

if we lose by 17 more than the cowboys lose and saints beat penrith we can finish 7th.

an unlikely run of events.

I think id like to play the cowboys at home if we had the choice of games, so i guess as Im cheering for a close win to the cowboys

Im pretty confident we'll get past the sharks without many problems, we hae too much skill for them

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Thu 01 Sep, 2011 2:56 pm

ahh okay thanks Goose, that must be what they are talking about then. You'd think all that is pretty damn unlikely, us losing by 17 anyway :), the other 2 could certainly happen.

I would probably prefer to play the Cowboys at home too.