Aussie Test Jumpers

Super League and Rugby League Abroad
Chris
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 14 times

Aussie Test Jumpers

Unread post by Chris » Fri 12 Dec, 2014 7:25 am

I know the season is over and the next test is a long way off but I really cant help but put this post together as it has been bothering me for a long time now.

I'm really down on the Australian Test team and have been for a very long time. It's not because of who the coach is/was/will be. The thing that has got me down is the whole selection process.

Back in the day, the selectors would go into a room, pick the best players from the State Of Origin arena, show the team to the coach and then announce the team. The guys who would literally kill themselves during the State Of Origin series would earn their test jumper and be recognised in the league world as the best player, in that position, for Australia.

Nowadays, the coach picks who he wants regardless of whether they have played for NSW or QLD or not. That right there, in a nutshell, is the whole reason why I'm down on the Australian test team and international rugby league as whole.

Back in the day, the selection process made players earn their test jumper and the Aussie test jumper was the pinnacle, it's the jumper that everyone dreamed of. Now, no-one gives a rats arse about it cause you can get a run if the coach likes you.

Could you imagine, back in the 80's/90's what Benny Elias would have said to Warren Ryan if the Wok asked Benny to give up his test jumper to have surgery for the club? Could you imagine if any coach back then, if they had have asked any of their players to give up their test jumper for their club, what would have happened?

Today, in my opinion, the Aussie test jumper has lost it's value and it's aura because rugby league has become a big business now. It's really sad that it has come to this and to me, it feels like part of my childhood has been kicked in the nuts because I loved Test footy so much and loved how players would almost kill themselves for that Green and Gold jumper.

Back when I was a kid, Kangaroo Tours were almost as big a deal as the Olympics. Today, they dont even exist anymore because players are whinging that the season is too long, yet are happy to stick their hand out for the filthy amount of money they get paid to do something they love.

Wont be long now till Test football becomes as extinct as Kangaroo tours because no-one really cares for that test jersey now. It's all a big business now and I understand that but what a shame.

What a shame.

happy tiger
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 32 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Fri 12 Dec, 2014 9:43 am

Loved watching the old Kangaroo series , shortened the off season that's for sure

And those French referees when the penalty counts would be 29-3 in favour of the local side

What's the answer though

We can't go back to the old days when we played the Tests Series mid season

Perhaps play the full 26 rounds , then play SOO , then the Tests and then play the finals series ??

Maybe get rid of the semis and go back to the first past the post at the end of the regular season wins ??

The only answer I can see would be reducing the amount of teams in the NRL , having bigger squads and them playing more games mid week and the like

But what's good for the game and making money just don't mix , they are both at either ends of the spectrum

Like many things in our country , the lack of population effects why we can't do things the way we want

cqtiger
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 21 times

Unread post by cqtiger » Sat 13 Dec, 2014 8:41 am

Play more games I reckon. Throw it back on the players and coaches.

Put it in their contract that no player should be made to play more than 80% of the games. If they choose to play more, then that's their decision. Rep footy is again their choice but only be made to play 80% of rep games they can play them all if they wish. Players nominate which rep games they prefer and the selectors can have a prepared list of players to choose from.

The game has changed. Every NRL side increases their top 25 to top 30 to accommodate it.

At the end of the day if a player plays all NRL games then that's their choice - can't whinge.

Check the rep calendar and choose to play all or only SOO or 1 test or 2 x 4 nations - whatever. All I am saying is that if any player plays all games in a year, it's their fault. If coaches really have player welfare at heart they will stand by the rules too.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.1.4
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

Return to “Super League & International Rugby League”