Super League 2015

Super League and Rugby League Abroad
farmduck

Super League 2015

Unread post by farmduck » Mon 02 Feb, 2015 2:37 pm

Kicks off this week. This year it's on Fox Sports instead of Eurosports which means the live games will probably be shown live. On Eurosports the SL game was invariably pushed back every time the Mongolian Regional Qualifying play-off of the National Yak Punching League went into extra time.

Anyhoo, this Friday at 7.00am: Widnes v Wigan, repeated at 7.30pm

The Vikings squad includes former NRLers like Cameron Phelps, Willie Isa, Hep Cahill, Patrick Ah Van, Rhys Hanbury and Danny Galea.

Wigan will be fielding their most English squad for years with only Matt Bowen, Taulima Tautai and Anthony Gelling from South of the Equator.

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 188 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 02 Feb, 2015 2:44 pm

Lol the Vikings names bring back some memories.

farmduck

Unread post by farmduck » Mon 02 Feb, 2015 3:03 pm

Yes, memories of the NSW Cup. In some cases I think it was called Premier League back then. In truth, Widnes are a mid-table team at best and those Aussies/Kiwis are quite adequate at that level. I saw Danny Galea have a few very good games last year.

GoldXR50Leroy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by GoldXR50Leroy » Sat 07 Feb, 2015 8:26 am

Only saw the second half of the Widnes v Wigan game but gee the Vikings got the rough end of the pineapple with a player sent off and plenty of other dodgy decisions against them.
Currently St Helens are playing Catalans and in a tight contest the Stains are leading but the reffing is again very ordinary, no Todd Carney for Catalans, missed the start but some other Catalans players were injured early.

farmduck

Unread post by farmduck » Sat 07 Feb, 2015 5:25 pm

Willie Tonga's Catalans debut lasted only 10 seconds after he was knocked cold in the first tackle of the game. He got his head in a bad position attempting to tackle Sane Tellins prop Alex Walmsley (think it was Walmsley).

They showed him sitting in the stand later and he didn't have a neck brace on so probably just concussion.

GoldXR50Leroy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by GoldXR50Leroy » Tue 10 Feb, 2015 8:10 pm

While it's only early on its hard to judge the difference between the Fox coverage and the Eurosport effort considering they're the same commentators..
Watched a little bit over the weekend and while us Aussies want to go back to one ref fair dinkum, what I saw was very ordinary but any way without trying to be controversial here are the results.
Opening game had the Widnes Vikings taking on the Wigan Warriors, an early send off of the Vikings Patrick Ah Van for a so so high tackle early on saw him sent from the field but the Wigan side failed to capitalise on the advantage and the Vikings stormed back into the game to just fail to win, levelling the scores at 22-22.
St Helens the defending Champions fought hard to see off a strong challenge from Le Catalans, the visitors took a hammering early on and lost key players but managed to lead at the break.
However the second half saw the Champions edge ahead with some dubious calls to win 18-7.
A couple of big upsets had Hull FC Captained by our fave in Gareth Ellis smash the Huddersfield Giants, Caslteford Tigers at home went down by 2 points to a resurgent Wakefield who seem to be not only at full strength but full points after 2 seasons of having sides deducted points for numerous irregularities.
Hull KR at Craven Park just went down in a high scoring match getting shaded by 10 points 30 to 40 by the Leeds Rhinos with the final game seeing the Warrington Wolves smash the Salford Devils 22-8.

underdog
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 28 times

Unread post by underdog » Tue 10 Feb, 2015 8:30 pm

Hanbury is a really good for Widnes. Really took to SL like a duck to water,

I'll be looking for my "favorite" player - Jake Mullaney with much interest.

phil1986
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by phil1986 » Tue 10 Feb, 2015 11:28 pm

underdog wrote:Hanbury is a really good for Widnes. Really took to SL like a duck to water,

I'll be looking for my "favorite" player - Jake Mullaney with much interest.
Would love to see a few of jakes games. Always liked him. But his team isn't in the top tier comp this year.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

farmduck

Unread post by farmduck » Thu 12 Feb, 2015 1:51 am

This week's Friday AM game is Salford v St Helens.

Salford will feature Rangi Chase, Michael Dobson, Adrian Morley, Corey Paterson, Lama Tasi while St Helens field Mark Flanagan, Travis Burns, Mose Masoe, Lance Hohaia and Atelea Vea.

farmduck

Unread post by farmduck » Fri 13 Feb, 2015 7:28 pm

Well that was dreadful. Salford turned in one of the worst performances I've ever seen by an allegedly first-grade RL team. Saints won 52-6 and barely raised a sweat. Parra dodged a bullet when Gareth Hock reneged on his deal. Gets himself sin-binned when his his team only has 1 fit players left on the bench - knee to the head of a player on the ground after a high tackle to get him to the ground in the first place.

NRL fans should record this game then every time someone says SL is closing the standard gap with the NRL, make them watch this Salford performance.

Demps
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by Demps » Sun 22 Feb, 2015 8:14 am

farmduck wrote:Kicks off this week. This year it's on Fox Sports instead of Eurosports which means the live games will probably be shown live. On Eurosports the SL game was invariably pushed back every time the Mongolian Regional Qualifying play-off of the National Yak Punching League went into extra time.

Anyhoo, this Friday at 7.00am: Widnes v Wigan, repeated at 7.30pm

The Vikings squad includes former NRLers like Cameron Phelps, Willie Isa, Hep Cahill, Patrick Ah Van, Rhys Hanbury and Danny Galea.

Wigan will be fielding their most English squad for years with only Matt Bowen, Taulima Tautai and Anthony Gelling from South of the Equator.
Hep Cahill...
I remember him from Rugby League Live.
Melb storm player, had good stats...

Never rly made it, did he...

GoldXR50Leroy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by GoldXR50Leroy » Mon 02 Mar, 2015 8:41 pm

Didn't get to watch much over the weekend as the WCC & the V/8's had my attention but there were a few boilovers, hopefully will get to watch some replays later in the week.
I'm a Hull FC fan and I know that they got dusted but some of the sides lower in the comp got a victory, Todd Carney finally got to play for the Catalans and they had a big win while Salford and Widnes had impressive victories while Wigan got beaten.

Return to “Super League & International Rugby League”