Super League and Rugby League Abroad
Geo.

Wests Tigers feature in Tonga squad...

Post by Geo. » Sun 13 Sep, 2015 10:34 pm

Wests Tigers feature in Tonga squad

Brock Corfe (Twitter: @Brock_Corfe)

Fri 11th September, 11:50AM
A A

Five Wests Tigers players have today been named in the Tongan train-on squad for the upcoming World Cup qualifying match against the Cook Islands.

Sitaleki Akauola, Asipeli Fine, Salesi Funaki, Delouise Hoeter and Joel Luani have been named in the initial squad for the match at Campbelltown Sports Stadium on Saturday, October 17.

The winner of the match will compete in the 2017 Rugby League World Cup alongside fellow pacific nations Papua New Guinea, Fiji and Samoa.

There are currently 58 players named in the train-on squad, which was announced this morning through Tonga’s social media channels.

Click here to see the full squad announcement.

http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2015 ... ature.html
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Milky

Post by Milky » Mon 14 Sep, 2015 12:36 am

None will be here next year except hoeter and maybe fine...moving on.

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Mon 14 Sep, 2015 12:24 pm

lol i love the phrase "promoting rugby league outside of australia" that's used so much. yet, every other international team is basically 2nd or 3rd grade NRL players. why would a kid in samoa, tonga, cook islands etc want to play rugby league when they know they're gonna get overlooked for NRL players anyway.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

fibrodreaming

Post by fibrodreaming » Mon 14 Sep, 2015 5:02 pm

tig_prmz wrote:lol i love the phrase "promoting rugby league outside of australia" that's used so much. yet, every other international team is basically 2nd or 3rd grade NRL players. why would a kid in samoa, tonga, cook islands etc want to play rugby league when they know they're gonna get overlooked for NRL players anyway.
Agreed. But do they have a strong RL comp in places like Tonga and Samoa? Are there any local players to choose from? I know they have a strong RU background.

The concept of Tongan and Samoan national RL teams is a very artificial construct. Most of the players that represent Pacific Island nations were born in NZ or Australia or, if not, grew up in NZ or Australia, which is where they learnt to play RL.

So, I agree, I don't know how much this will promote RL in those countries.

The only Pacific nation to field a national team of home grown players is PNG, which is where the NRL should concentrate its promotional work.